HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I-66 HOV exemption - How to obtain plates?
Posted by: JBass ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:08PM

So how can I go about obtaining a 'clean fuel plate' issued before July 1, 2011? i want to buy a hybrid and start using HOV. I have heard about people selling/transferring plates to other persons in the past but I dont know if there is any truth to this. Specifically, I remember a guy off of Popes Head that had a old muscle car with the plate "RACE YOU". Some years later, I saw him in the car with a different plate. He told me someone offered him money for it so they could have "RACE YOU" on their own car, so he sold it.

I have searched DMV website but found nothing. I would call and ask but for the 30 minute wait time to have some rude lady in Richmond give me inaccurate information. So, if anybody has ever heard of this or knows where I could find information, please feel free to share.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I-66 HOV exemption - How to obtain plates?
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:23PM

I think vanity tags are fully transerrable as are old tags from VA that used to have the year on them. I had a friend with a 1971 Riviera that scoured to find some old geezer with a 1971 tag on a wreck in his driveway. He bought it off him and did some kind of transfer process. People in Delawere transfer those stupid little black and white tags also, but that's not VA.

I'd bet you anything that you are not going to be able to transfer an HOV exempt tag. Or the original issue of the custom plate with the leaves on it that the state decied too obscured the numbers and asked people to exchange them.

I thought the one way around the HOV exempt would be to by a Toyota Echo or some equally ugly box and throw a vanity tag starting with CF on it. I doubt any cop would really know the fucking difference. But than you would have to drive a Toyota Echo.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:28PM

@Wingnut - it's not the CF it's where the Earth is on the plate that counts - that's what they'll be looking for

Date: May 11, 2012 01:35PM

Good input, so Im not crazy about the ability to do so, BUT they may have procedures put in place to prohibit doing so with this specific plate.

I dont give a shit what I drive to and from work, I just want a shorter commute.

Posted by: used? ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:38PM

You could get a motorcycle. I bet you can buy a used hybrid with a pre-2011 plate currently on it and demand that the plate stay with the car.

Posted by: native.one ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:32PM

used? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You could get a motorcycle. I bet you can buy a
> used hybrid with a pre-2011 plate currently on it
> and demand that the plate stay with the car.

+1 for a motorcycle or buy a used civic hybrid or insight. About 5k

Date: May 11, 2012 02:34PM

or you can buy a cheap crusier or even something like a 2000+ katana for under 3k. I am sure a cop will still pull you over in your diesel excursion with a "hov hybrid" tag or maybe you can just put bunch of hybrid decals on the vehicle and then bs the cop about how you converted the car into a hybrid.

Date: May 11, 2012 02:35PM

native.one Wrote:
> used? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You could get a motorcycle. I bet you can buy
> a
> > used hybrid with a pre-2011 plate currently on
> it
> > and demand that the plate stay with the car.
>
>
> +1 for a motorcycle or buy a used civic hybrid or
> insight. About 5k

Plate ownership does not go with the car, it goes with the individual. Meaning there would have to be two seperate transactions at the DMV. One to title the car and another to register it. The question still remains as to if you can transfer 'special clean fuel' plates from one resident to another.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:40PM

If you didn't have one in 2006, you're SOL. End of discussion.

Date: May 11, 2012 02:42PM

I suppose you could but then again the dmv will realise sooner or later (probably sooner) that you are trying to register a hybrid tag on a non-hybrid vehicle. Just like when I ordered my Marine Corps tags, they ask for ID to prove that you were in fact in the military. I could only assume that getting hybrid tags directly from the dmv will be the same as you buying them off of someone and then trying to register them. I am sure the dmv has a list of vehicles that they approve those tags for.

Date: May 11, 2012 02:49PM

native.one Wrote:
> I suppose you could but then again the dmv will
> realise sooner or later (probably sooner) that you
> are trying to register a hybrid tag on a
> non-hybrid vehicle. Just like when I ordered my
> Marine Corps tags, they ask for ID to prove that
> you were in fact in the military. I could only
> assume that getting hybrid tags directly from the
> dmv will be the same as you buying them off of
> someone and then trying to register them. I am
> sure the dmv has a list of vehicles that they
> approve those tags for.

I will buy a qualifying hybrid TONIGHT if I know I can get a pre-July 1 2011 'clean fuel plate' on the private market and then transfer into my name. Im not trying to pull one over on anybody. Just trying to work the system to the fullest extent possible.

Posted by: native.ome ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:54PM

oh ok, I missed that part entirely. I dont think you will have any problems. +1 for winnning!!!!

Posted by: stinkypete ()
Date: May 13, 2012 12:59AM

If you could sell your car with pre-2006 HOV plates to someone and have the buyer retain the HOV privileges, I bet we would have heard of auctions, price gouging, or a simply higher prices.

The only reason a bought an '05 Prius was for that privilege. It is awesome, but I don't commute that way any more.

I wonder if I could "lend" my car to someone that would like to use HOV and they would "gift" me some money per month? With my luck, the car would crap out on them or they would hit someone and screw up my insurance.

Posted by: stinkypete ()
Date: May 13, 2012 01:19AM

I just checked the DMV website. You can transfer the special plates to a new qualifying vehicle. It doesn't look like the plates can be moved between people.

They also extended the HOV exemptions indefinitely instead of extending them yearly.

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/northern_virginia/2012/new_law_for_hybrids57814.asp

They'll have to pass a law to stop the exemption.

Posted by: Lee Phillips ()
Date: May 20, 2012 10:19PM

Date: July 11, 2012 02:14PM

Okay, So JBass now owns a Hybrid. According to the DMV, there is absolutely NO way to transfer from one person to another an actual plate in the state of Va. (Save "antique/vintage" plates) If the lettering is whats desired, the current owner can sign a form relinquishing the phrase/lettering to someone, but then the DMV will only put the old lettering on a newly issued plate.

Basically, for me to work the system on this one, Id have to...

1) Find someone with a hybrid and the plates I want
2) Have them add me to the title
3)I could then, as the owner, transfer the plates to my vehicle
4) My donor hybrid would then need new plates

I only see this working if I find someone I know who 1) has a totaled hybrid with these plates that was not covered by insurance 2) is Moving out of state and will be registering the car somewhere else.

Damn the Man

Posted by: VA DMV Sucks ()
Date: July 11, 2012 05:02PM

Pay DMV workers enough $$$ and they will do anything for you.

My in laws bought their Toyota Cmary Hybrid in September 2010. They were able to get the Clean Fuel Plates through the dealer that allow them to drive in the HOV lanes on I-95. Not sure what the hell my father in-law did it, but he paid the finance manager $250 bucks (cash outside of the deal), and the finance manager knew someone at DMV who got the plates for him.

Posted by: Grandma Proc ()
Date: July 17, 2012 02:33PM

How can you demand someone to give you their plates. Has no one every heard of insurance liability......Whew!!!! I say, don't give s t u p i d people the HOV plate at all.

Posted by: crazyidea ()
Date: July 17, 2012 04:08PM

A desparate person (or stupid/bold/genius, depending on your point of view) could take any legitimate personalized or standard six-digit plate number and apply it to a qualifying hybrid vehicle - but make a "home customized" plate bearing the symbol in the right spot.

When busting people for carpool violations, the cops look for the symbol and its placement, busting people that lack the proper symbol/location. Those that get by never have their vehicles checked in the computer system to see if they're really the special plates.

Those getting busted elsewhere are not getting busted for carpool violations, so maybe/hopefully the cops only care that it comes up as currently registered.

I wouldn't do it, but I have been thoroughly amazed at what some bold/stupid people will do... and wouldn't put it past them to try such a thing.

Clean Special Fuel Plate - Clarification
Posted by: Sidd ()
Date: January 30, 2015 10:57AM

Hi

One of my friend is leaving to his home country(Outside US) and he has a Clean Special Fuel plate issued before June 2011 for his 2008 Toyota Prius. As he is going outside US, so he is adding me to the title as Co-Owner. For some reason if he could not come back and request to sell the car then as a Co-Owner

1) Can I buy the car as a Co-owner, and can I remove him as Owner from the title?
2) If I wanted to sell to some other, then can I sell the car as a co-owner?

Appreciate your response

Posted by: Alex66 ()
Date: January 10, 2016 04:53PM

Can someone direct me to a list of CURRENTLY qualifying super ultra-low emission
vehicles to which I could transfer a pre-2011 clean special fuel VA plate to if I want to replace my 2008 Prius? Thanks.

Posted by: nxewC ()
Date: January 10, 2016 07:02PM

that's not how they do it dumbass

by the DFS dept. they can get exemptions even GAS MONEY. (note if a gov worker they make 3x-15x what others do so gas money isn't a question)

and they do it only for obama.gov niggas spics and foreigners

Posted by: WitchDoctor ()
Date: January 10, 2016 10:42PM

Most excellent Voodoo, bring this dead thread back to life.

Couldnt have done better myself.

morons!

Posted by: Soslow ()
Date: January 10, 2016 11:23PM

Alex66 Wrote:
> Can someone direct me to a list of CURRENTLY
> qualifying super ultra-low emission
> vehicles to which I could transfer a pre-2011
> clean special fuel VA plate to if I want to
> replace my 2008 Prius? Thanks.

Please buy a car this time that is capable of at least going the speed limit. Tnx

Posted by: Alex66 ()
Date: January 11, 2016 12:50PM

Further to my post above and in response to earlier posts that pointed to a DMV web page which lists the vehicles that qualify for a CSF plate, I just asked DMV this question on their FB page and received the following brilliant response:

VirginiaDMV Good morning Alex. We no longer publish a list of qualifying vehicles by make and year however, you may contact the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality at 703-583-3900 or toll-free in Virginia at 1-800-275-3844 for more information on qualifying vehicles. Here is a link to more information available on our website regarding qualification criteria based on clean special fuels: http://ow.ly/WTDea (click on "How to Qualify") Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks so much.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Welcome to the official site of the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, with quick access to driver and vehicle online transactions and information.
DMV.VIRGINIA.GOV

Posted by: JOHN MURPHY ()
Date: June 22, 2017 04:33PM

ARE HOV PLATES TRANSFERABLE TO OTHER PEOPLE WITH HYBRID CARS?

Posted by: Hell is coming for Prius owners ()
Date: June 22, 2017 07:09PM

JOHN MURPHY Wrote:
> ARE HOV PLATES TRANSFERABLE TO OTHER PEOPLE WITH
> HYBRID CARS?

Asked and answered. No.

And they're doing away with hybrid plate exemptions in a couple of years. They're also doing away with HOV-2 on 66. Gotta be HOV-3 by 2020, even you're driving a shitty Prius.

Justice!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.