HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
28 Bridge over Potomac - Why not?
Posted by: loooooo ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:50AM

Why hasn't this been done yet? They're both "28" and it looks like they were made to connect in the first place!
Attachments:
mee.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 28 Bridge over Potomac - Why not?
Posted by: JBass ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:53AM

Makes sense to me.

Posted by: Nighthawk ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:53AM

Because the Liberals in Maryland don't want it. Actually, the Liberals in Montgomery County don't want it. They don't want the rural areas of the county to become over developed like Fairfax County.

Posted by: CaptainObvious ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:54AM

There's homes in the way.

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:57AM

CaptainObvious Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's homes in the way.

Imminent Domain. Ever heard on it? Oh, I know what you meant. You meant to say "There are RICH people homes in the way."

Posted by: tett ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:59AM

It's definitely feasible from an engineering standpoint.
Attachments:
good.jpg

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:07PM

There really aren't enough crossings out of here!

Posted by: memee ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:08PM

CaptainObvious Wrote:
> There's homes in the way.

So?
Attachments:
testy.jpg

Posted by: McDonnel ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:10PM

It's already in talks...

New Potomac toll bridge being discussed - to link Montgomery Co MD, Fairfax Co VA

The governors of Maryland and Virginia are discussing the revival of an old but good project to link Fairfax County Virginia and Montgomery County Maryland with a new crossing of the Potomac River some 10 to 15 miles, 16km to 22km upstream of the Capital Beltway's crowded American Legion Bridge...

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:13PM

why not?

Because we are PATHETIC that's why not
We aint been able to get it together enough to even get 66 widened in Arlington, how the heck you think we got enough cojónes to get the Richie-Richs of Potomac to let us build a freeway on their side of the river thru their McMansions answer me that.

Posted by: They should stay in MD ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:17PM

Nighthawk Wrote:
> Because the Liberals in Maryland don't want it.
> Actually, the Liberals in Montgomery County don't
> want it. They don't want the rural areas of the
> county to become over developed like Fairfax
> County.

That's fine with me.

The liberals can stay in MD and rot for all I care. I'm in favor of anything that makes it harder for them to cross over into VA.

Posted by: butt ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:17PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> why not?
>
> Because we are PATHETIC that's why not
> We aint been able to get it together enough to
> even get 66 widened in Arlington, how the heck you
> think we got enough cojónes to get the
> Richie-Richs of Potomac to let us build a freeway
> on their side of the river thru their McMansions
> answer me that.

There's a difference though: Nobody lives in that part of Montgomery County. It's very sparse farmland. It shouldn't be anywhere near as hard to push this kinda legislation through since there's so few in opposition.
Attachments:
ontradi.jpg

Posted by: You got it ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:18PM

JBass Wrote:
> You meant to say "There are RICH
> people homes in the way."

Bingo.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:28PM

I would pay 5 dollars to cross such a bridge. 10 dollars if there were no exits between it and I-270 and the speed limit was 65

Posted by: been there ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:29PM

Virginia has wanted this for years. The tree huggers in Maryland do not want it. Getting the ICC built was years and years in the making.

This is one time the feds should step in--it really is a national security issue for evacuation, etc. It was a big concern after 9-11....think about it.

We defintely need an alternate route around DC.

Iminent domain could take care of the houses in Virginia--believe me, it is Maryland that would fight it.

Date: May 09, 2012 12:30PM

@butt - the 2 ppl that live there have a LOT more power than those LOTS of ppl live offa 66

That line you circled around up near "2" is River Road south of Poolesville - prolly more money offa that chunk of road then what comes out of some mid-west states. Not to mention the State Wildlife area that Maryland has going on on the left part of yr circle there.

The "lot" of ppl you mention that live near 66 wouldnt ALL be impacted by the widening of an existing road, many prolly not caring at all. But you damn sure better believe that ALL who live within 10 miles of that circle you drew for "2" will feel impacted and all of them will care about it.

All I'm saying it that the clout for getting 28 pushed is gonna have to be a hellava lot more than what we have trying to get 66 widened, that was my only point.

Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:32PM

Won't happen. Look how long it took for the ICC to get built due to Monkey Co. residents. They are still complaining and looking for ways to stop it and the road is done! A bridge across a "scenic" and "historic" river? These days? The nuts will be scouring the proposed crossing sites for any life that could be considered "endangered". One big union argument against will be how it will hurt BWI to the benefit of Dulles. We'll all be dead and gone long before they even decide what the environmental impact statements are supposed to look like much less anything submitted for approval.

Date: May 09, 2012 12:34PM

@beenthere - if national security was a concern, 66 (you know, the ONLY interstate highway on this side of the entire city) would be wider than what it was 4 decades ago. Why waste time on a bridge if in an evacuation emergency people cant get to it, is all I'm saying? That's just the my view, from the "national security" side of the argument.........

That's why I believe that 28 bridge is only a pipe dream. If "they" wont help us get 66 widened, "they" certainly arent going to let up tear up MoCo.

Date: May 09, 2012 12:36PM

@jim +1
DAMN, yo - didnt even think about the impact studies. Yep, not gonna happen cause of the Wildlife Management area - there are some wetlands there, right? It's swampy near the ferry I know..........and if that's the case then yeah, we dont have the cojónes nor the dinero to get a project like that started, much less finished................

Posted by: national security ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:40PM

to Gordon:

Think about it--I 66 as route is dependent on bridges across Potomac being intact and usable--we should have lots more bridges.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: May 09, 2012 12:41PM

I always thought that the place to do this would be the Fairfax County Parkway, run it thru Algonkian Park, say we're sorry and call it a day.

The problem is on the MD side, there would have to be some major road widening and/or development projects to make it work. And you would be dealing with a lot of pissed wealthy landowners.

People living up the 270 corridor in Germantown and Gaithersburg would dig it, those closer to River Road would fight it tooth and nail. The only selling point to the people in MD near the bridge would be their better access to Dulles.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: May 09, 2012 12:48PM

Agree that there is a LOT of wealth off River road down in Poolesville. Horse farms and the like.

Posted by: res ()
Date: May 09, 2012 02:19PM

How many people would actually use it daily? That article doesn't say. Would enough people commute that way everyday to justify it? And how many people a day does it take to justify it? 1k, 5k, 20k???

Date: May 09, 2012 03:11PM

How about most anybody going to western fairfax or loudon from 270. If you were going from Germantown to Sterling, you'd save 8 to 10 miles of commute.

Posted by: TheKeyMaster ()
Date: May 09, 2012 05:36PM

No good can come of this. It's like opening a portal to hell.

Date: May 09, 2012 05:42PM

@KeyMaster - LoLz
@Viscount - all that Potomac wealth aint gonna care about ppl in Germantown or Sterling
@res-depends on if it's tolled or not, I'd reckon...........
@WingNut - that was the original idea back in the "Outer Beltway" days - Most of the Parkway at that end runs on that right-of-way
@national - oh Im not disagreeing with you at all. All I'm saying is that if they havent done 66 yet for that reasoning, getting a new bridge built OUTSIDE the beltway on that same reasoning is prolly gonna fall flat.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: May 09, 2012 09:24PM

memee Wrote:
> CaptainObvious Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There's homes in the way.
>
> So?

I don't see any possibility of a straight on extension of 28 across the Potomac. The ship has sailed on that one. There are too many obstacles on the VA side. It's a nice sketch but there is no way Broad Run would be "re-routed".

Posted by: memee ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:30PM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
>
> I don't see any possibility of a straight on
> extension of 28 across the Potomac. The ship has
> sailed on that one. There are too many obstacles
> on the VA side. It's a nice sketch but there is
> no way Broad Run would be "re-routed".

Horsepen Run was re-routed completely when Dulles was built. Countless other streams have been re-routed for various projects, so why would this be any different?

Posted by: Bruce Variety ()
Date: May 10, 2012 12:28AM

Please don't.

We don't want MD drivers coming into the Dominion any faster than they already do, right?

Their driving is mostly -1 from what I see.

Posted by: Kamp Washingtonian ()
Date: May 10, 2012 07:50AM

Although the Marylanders have been consistently opposed to this, we can't blame it all on them. If you remember back around 2000, Rep Frank Wolf of VA was trying to push this (calling it the "Techway") looking at both the Ffx Pkwy and 28 options. They had a public meeting in Great Falls and all the snoots came out to rip him apart.

He then decided to stop supporting the bridge idea, but instead of just saying that he was backing down to a bunch of rich NIMBYs, he sent a study map to the Washington Post that was not supposed to be publicly released. It showed every route option that was being considered for either scenario, and it looked like someone dumped a bowl of spagetti all over Great Falls, Potomac, and Eastern Loudoun. Then everyone and their mother came out against it because it looked like the highway would run through everyone's back yard.

This turned the Techway into a curse word in NOVA for a several years, where any politician who even mentioned it could kiss their careers goodbye. Now, thanks to McDonnel, people are finally starting to bring it up again.

Date: May 10, 2012 08:06AM

@Kamp - and the same exact crap is gonna happen again if we go down this path. I mean, it's not like MoCo Richie-Richs have become more willing to put a freeway thru their yards, right?
It's why I keep bringing up the 66 stuff-if we cant get our own to work with us, how are we gonna get MoCo to?

Posted by: reality ()
Date: May 10, 2012 11:45AM

They have been "talking" about this solution for 40 years -- Until someone on the Maryland side realizes this NEEDS TO BE BUILT (like yesterday) we can still ride on the White's Ferry built in 1817 and can handle 20 cars every 10 minutes..... DUH!

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: May 10, 2012 02:12PM

Well with O'Mally running the state of MD, there wont be many rich people left MD to fight this thing.

A lot of the property values out in Great Falls haven't recovered all that much since 2007...

Posted by: Nova_Native ()
Date: May 10, 2012 03:38PM

As numerous posters have pointed out, a bridge connecting Fairfax/Loudoun with Montgomery County is not going to happen in the foreseeable future. The outstanding residents of "upcounty" Montgomery are opposed to it, and always have been, and no govenor in Annapolis can operate without their support.

What the "Merliners" (genuine Washingtonian pronunciation) do favor is widening Route 301 through Va, expanding the Harry Nice bridge that runs from Dahlgren in King George County, Va, to Charles County, Md., then beefing up 301 to Bawlmer (more Native talk, as nasal as possible). In effect, this creates a bypass around the DC area for major traffic going North/South.

Virginians have historically objected to this crossing because it benefits Maryland much more so than the Commomwealth. But at this point, Northern Virginia would reap tremendous gains by cutting out maybe a quarter or more of the traffic that is just passing through. Who cares if they overbuild in Charles, PG, and Anne Arundle.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: May 10, 2012 09:23PM

memee Wrote:

> Horsepen Run was re-routed completely when Dulles
> was built. Countless other streams have been
> re-routed for various projects, so why would this
> be any different?

Horsepen Run is a stream - borderline perennial. Broad Run is a river and that stream valley to be "re-located" is part of BLES Park. And along with Broad Run Stream Valley Park is planned to be part of the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail (see page 8 in below link). No one has the clout to change this type of planning.

http://inter4.loudoun.gov/controls/speerio/resources/RenderContent.aspx?data=167b125e6a374e2c92ad94bc02128aaa&tabid=312&fmpath=%2FBoard+Standing+Committees%2FTransportation-Land+Use%2F2010%2F01-25-10

Posted by: Core problem ()
Date: May 12, 2012 02:00AM

Key problem is ignorant and stubborn Montgomery County leadership.

Hey -- is there a Montgomery Underground website on which to post this?

Another idea -- it may be a little longer of a drive, but how about a new bridge across the Potomac at White's Ferry?

Posted by: Karl Marx ()
Date: May 13, 2012 04:18PM

Do not try to bring your common sense to our Peoples Republik of Maryland! We oppose progress, and even human life for that matter. Anything resembling freedom or efficiency - we oppose!

Posted by: Joseph Stalin ()
Date: May 17, 2015 03:53PM

Karl:

You are right about Maryland - The Government reigns supreme and screw the people. They are there but to pay taxes like slaves. We The Government decide what the people need and what is best for them whether they like it or not! By not building the new bridge we can force the people into a closer controlled area and force them to take public transit even though they are inclined not to. If this is not convenient for them then they will just have to suffer through the long 2 hour commutes each way to get around the Beltway. We could care less that they cannot spend more time with their families or pursuing happiness. We don't care about all the gasoline that is wasted by idling cars. We like it much better when we control these insignificant ants and see them squirm.

Joseph

Posted by: The Total Idiot ()
Date: May 17, 2015 05:00PM

They people in the north do not want the bridge because it will give the south another way to cross the Potomac and invade the north.

No way they want another Gettysburg.

Posted by: mpVdH ()
Date: May 17, 2015 07:01PM

Have you been to Gaithersburg? Why would you want to make it easier for them to get into NOVA?

Date: May 18, 2015 03:11PM

Hey, rickies, that was the Outer Beltway or Western Beltway depending on whom you ask or where you research. There were supposed to be TWO money metal beltways, and some plans called for THREE of them. One was partially built (Fairfax County Parkway) and other roads were built many years later on the proposed routes (Rte. 28 and Rte. 234).

Now we have a patchwork of bullshit, none of which cross the Potomac or ever will.

First is where the hurting Fairfax County Parkway and Prince William parkways are now (that's why it is so wide in Reston/Herndon). That's mostly built now but no bridge and by law no overpasses except in certain areas. Thanks to NIMBYs.

Where hurting Route 28 is, was a second Beltway supposed to run from Manassas all the way to Gaithersburg.

An alternative beltway exists along where Rte. 234 is now (which ends abrubtly at I-66 for NO REASON).

We were supposed to have at least two, possibly three, Potomac crossings.

The new Bi-County parkway, which WILL be built, is a sort of compromise between Rte. 234 and 28 and I-66, but this piece of crap will NOT cross the hurting Potomac.

It's a show.

More info:
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Outer_Beltway.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/library/vdot/vdot15.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_William_Parkway

Posted by: YEywe ()
Date: May 18, 2015 04:00PM

Cant we just build a road/bridge all the way to 270 with no possibility of exiting beforehand? Cut through Algonkian "sorries" and take it up over the river and over all the Md farmland, over Poolsville; all the way to 270 w/o stopping. Like the bay bridge. Make all the rich Maryland opposition pay as concession.

Posted by: KTLYJ ()
Date: May 18, 2015 04:17PM

BishopLurchAwsville Wrote:

> The new Bi-County parkway, which WILL be built, is
> a sort of compromise between Rte. 234 and 28 and
> I-66, but this piece of crap will NOT cross the
> hurting Potomac.

Don't count on it. It's pretty much dead.
http://www.fauquier.com/news/article/bi_county_parkway_opponents_smell_victory

Posted by: DO it at the Ferry ()
Date: May 18, 2015 04:18PM

Just Buy White's ferry, put it there, and widen the access roads.... Duh.

Posted by: Great study ()
Date: May 18, 2015 04:35PM

loooooo Wrote:
> Why hasn't this been done yet? They're both "28"
> and it looks like they were made to connect in the
> first place!

You are a genius, here is a lot of money.

Date: May 18, 2015 07:08PM

I think just the Virginia/bridge part should be done first, but in a more low-traffic manner.

Posted by: Langley resident. ()
Date: May 18, 2015 07:57PM

A bridge needs to go in just north of great falls park and turn some of those rural roads into nice highways but the rich people will never let that happen suckers.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: May 18, 2015 11:01PM

- dA rEaL fArTiAn - Wrote:
> I think just the Virginia/bridge part should be
> done first, but in a more low-traffic manner.

you have to be an idiot

Posted by: Brock Lesnar ()
Date: August 11, 2019 04:28PM

Northwestern Potomac River Crossing: https://nvta.org/priority/northwestern-potomac-river-crossing/

A new Potomac River bridge is a bad idea, even for drivers, a study shows (December 7, 2017): https://ggwash.org/view/65636/a-new-potomac-river-bridge-is-a-bad-idea-even-for-drivers-a-study-shows

Loudoun Co. OKs 2 locations for new Potomac River crossing (October 3, 2018): https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/10/loudoun-co-oks-2-locations-for-new-potomac-river-crossing/

Why won’t Loudoun County’s terrible zombie Potomac Bridge proposal die? (October 19, 2018): https://ggwash.org/view/69453/loudoun-wants-a-new-highway-bridge-over-the-potomac-river-thats-a-bad-idea

Is a Second Potomac River Bridge in Montgomery Dead in the Water? (April 22, 2019): https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-beat/transportation/is-a-second-potomac-river-bridge-in-montgomery-dead-in-the-water/

Just build the bridge already: We need a second Potomac River crossing in Montgomery County - Washington Post (March 22, 2019) : http://archive.is/WvyPs

Posted by: reality... ()
Date: August 11, 2019 05:18PM

Freedom of movement is not a bad idea. A bridge will save by less roads being traveled, less gasoline being burned, less hydrocarbons being put into the atmosphere.

The climate change folks should LOVE it.

Posted by: Carj ()
Date: November 23, 2021 05:19PM

reality... Wrote:
> Freedom of movement is not a bad idea. A bridge
> will save by less roads being traveled, less
> gasoline being burned, less hydrocarbons being put
> into the atmosphere.
>
> The climate change folks should LOVE it.

We do

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.