HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
why I dislike FCPS elevation system
Posted by: Teacher ()
Date: May 07, 2012 07:56PM

I AM a Biology teacher. I love these kids, but they can be a handful. Almost without exception, they struggle on standardized tests, frustrate their teachers and find it hard to connect with their peers. What’s more, these are high school students, so they are compounded by raging hormones and social pressure.
As you might imagine, my job can be extremely difficult. Beyond the challenges posed by my students, While my class sizes have grown, support staff members have been laid off. Students with increasingly severe disabilities are being pushed into more mainstream classrooms like mine, where they receive less individual attention and struggle to adapt to a curriculum driven by state-designed high-stakes tests.
On top of all that, I’m a bad teacher. That’s not my opinion; it’s how I’m labeled by my assistant principal. 2 weeks ago, my principal at the time rated my teaching “unsatisfactory,” checking off a few boxes on an evaluation sheet that placed my career in limbo. .
Like most teachers, I’m good some days, bad others. The same goes for my students. my assistant principal at the time observed me teaching in our school’s 8th period Biology class
When the assistant principal walked in, one of these students, a freshman girl began cursing. When the assistant principal ignored her, she started cursing at me. Then she began lobbing pencils across the room. Was this because I was a bad teacher? I don’t know.
I know that after she began throwing things, I called security on her. Today, I received notice that my lesson had been rated unsatisfactory because, among other things, I had sent this student to the time out room, instead of following our school’s “guided discipline” procedure.

In addition,I'll be taking the week off to think what I am going to do next year.if they do fire me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why I dislike FCPS elevation system
Posted by: I smell a rat ()
Date: May 07, 2012 08:02PM

Staffing for current teachers has already been done in FCPS - which means you would already know by now if you have been destaffed.

Posted by: Feel sorry ()
Date: May 07, 2012 08:05PM

You must work at Lb I feel sorry for you. My child has had some wonderful teachers and some bad but if that child threw pencils you did the right thing! Do not give up our kids need teachers like you.

Posted by: copier ()
Date: May 07, 2012 08:12PM

This was taken from a WaPo article written weeks ago by a teacher who was dismissed by DC public schools and moved to FCPS to avoid all of the crap she so well pointed out that occurs in some DC schools. She is at an FCPS elementary school now and is probably loving life.

Posted by: good luck ()
Date: May 07, 2012 08:14PM

I dont know how you do it. Not enough money to get me to deal with the admin people telling you how to do your job. Then the parents who always take the kids side and threaten to sue for anything and everything. Lastly you have the kids who are probably ok if not prompted by their own parents to behave like asses.

Posted by: I smell a rat ()
Date: May 07, 2012 08:15PM

I knew something was wrong with the original post... this makes more sense now.

DC schools WOULD dismiss someone based on their teacher rating system.

FCPS would not -they would destaff you and place you somewhere else because they owe you a position. Any FCPS teacher would know that, plus I'm pretty sure none of them would use the term 'fired' since it's very difficult for that to actually happen.

Posted by: nice try ()
Date: May 07, 2012 08:19PM

Posted by: Teacher ()
Date: May 07, 2012 09:07PM

I smell a rat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Staffing for current teachers has already been
> done in FCPS - which means you would already know
> by now if you have been destaffed.

I might get fired in 3 years from now. I am not sure if I want to keep teaching at this school, I will try to transfer to another school too see if it can make a difference.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.