HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dance Studios in Western Fairfax County
Posted by: DanceMom ()
Date: May 07, 2012 01:26PM

I'm looking for information on Dance Studios in Western Fairfax County, specifically Chantily/Centreville/Clifton, for girls age 5 through high school.

We're looking at Centreville Dance Academy, Creative Dance Center, Phase, Swan Ballet Studio. Any opinions on these? Good or bad experiences? Any others that we should consider?

Opinions on competition focus vs. artistic dance concepts would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dance Studios in Western Fairfax County
Posted by: xvdddv ()
Date: May 07, 2012 02:41PM

Buffa's Dance Studio in Burke.

Posted by: Dance ()
Date: May 09, 2012 10:01AM

Phase is brand new and therefore has no experience to be reported. Legacy All Star has a good dance team. It also depends on what type of dance you are looking for. Are you looking for competitive team or recitals?

Posted by: dazed n confused ()
Date: May 09, 2012 10:43AM

I just want to dance.

Posted by: Nighthawk ()
Date: May 14, 2012 12:39PM

Went to the open house and I can't wait to send my girls this week for team tryouts.

Posted by: Ogie33 ()
Date: May 14, 2012 01:27PM

My daughter goes to Centreville Dance Academy (age 4). Been going there for 2 years now and she really enjoys it. A few big mouth/chatty mothers but what place doesn't have those? If there is a downside it's the day laborers that hang around the shopping center, btu again, who doesn't have those too?

Staff is very friendly (Ms. Kathy, Brooke, Tiphanie & Deborah).

I thought Buffa's in Burke had closed?

Posted by: DanceMom ()
Date: May 14, 2012 02:14PM

We went to the Phase open house on Saturday and were completely underwhelmed. My daughter is more interested in dance and this place was all about cheer. Their dance team this year will only compete in hip-hop and "maybe someday" jazz.

Not what we were looking for at all.

We're looking for a program rooted in dance with some competing, but not to the point where she's in something every weekend.

We really like Centreville Dance Academy, just wish they were more disciplined in their classes. There is very little correction or focus from what I've seen.

Posted by: Center Stage mom ()
Date: May 14, 2012 02:51PM

Center Stage in Fairfax may be just what you're looking for. The recital next month will give you a good idea of the depth of talent there.

Posted by: DAnce dad ()
Date: May 15, 2012 08:54AM

Buffa's is still open.

But I must say that the dance studio business is the biggest racket out there. They all hire teenagers at minimum wage to teach kids a very specific routine that is only performed once, they sell the cheap costume which can only be wron once, then they make you sit through a 3 hour peformance with all kinds fo crazy rulesm(can't leave early, can't vome late, can't see you kid who performed in tvhe first 10 minutes UNTIL everyone has performed so you need to wait three hours.

It's a cash cow of a business. I think it's a scam. Kids should do sports or learn activities that are transferable and otherwise useful.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: May 15, 2012 10:43AM

DanceDad,
Not sure where your kid is in dance, but I can attest Buffa's instructors are all trained adults with exceptional talent and dedication to their students and the arts.

Re: costumes, that is how the arts work and have worked for centuries. It's theatre. Whatever you're kid is involved in will require equipment/attire expenses/travel expenses. If you don't find recitals and costumes worthwhile for your child then opt out of the recitals. Let them dance to dance.

"then they make you sit through a three hour performance . . .". Wow. Do you complain about the hours you spend at games and practices that would far exceed the 3 hours spent at a recital that takes place once a year?

You're post is quintessential NOVA parenting attitude. It's only about YOUR kid and YOUR time. By sitting through games and recitals you're supporting the efforts of the community involvement it took to make it all happen. It's about giving the kids of our community an opportunity tom perform in front of a live audience, not just their own family members. It's the Superbowl of their yearlong efforts in training.

If you don't wish to be a part of the COMMUNITY then opt out of the recital and don't invest in the costumes. Let your kid dance for you in your livingroom. Sadly, your children have probably picked up on your attitude and it's a disservice to them and the community. The last thing we need is negativity when decent people are trying to bring arts, culture, and opportunity to children in our community.

"transferable and otherwise useful . . ." - your ignorance here warrants a brief education on the benefits and usefulness of dance - teamwork, cardio/ endurance/strength/coordination/flexibility/agility, discipline, memorization, temporal spacial relationships, patience, longterm planning, social skills, leadership skills, and on and on.

Don't discount the significance of dance, which is an Olympic sport, just because it's not something that interests you.

Posted by: DAnce Dad ()
Date: May 15, 2012 11:22AM

Funny how people make assumptions about others without any facts.

FWIW, my kids and I are very involved in our community in many ways - actually in many ways far more fulfilling and beneficial to the community than dance. We volunteer at our Church, we volunteer two hours every Sunday at SOME in DC serving food to homeless people, we do sports, girl scouts and on and on.

Of all the things we're involved with I find dance to be one fo the most expensive and the least fulfilling and provides the fewer transerable skills for other endeavours or life skills. Many of the people who are heavily involved in dance tend to be pretentious and impressed with their own self importance. So I don't like it.

As for dancing as an Olympic sport, please remember that other Olympic sports include sychronized swimming, rythmic gymnastics, trampoline, ice dancing and other arts that are not sports.

Posted by: Why ()
Date: May 16, 2012 05:35PM

ARe you a dance mom in training

Pick a real sportI

Posted by: CenterStageMom2 ()
Date: May 26, 2012 04:27PM

I highly recommend Center Stage Dance & Performing Arts Center in Fairfax. They have classes for competitive dancers AND classes for kids who just dance for fun. The staff is composed of trained adults who specialize in the type(s) of dance they teach. Their end of year recital will be June 22nd and 23rd. Check them out - their website is www-centerstage-dance.com

Posted by: Ballerina ()
Date: June 24, 2012 09:51PM

Hi!
Swan ballet school would not be a good pick.
Honestly, no offense but I wouldn't go with Buffas either.
As far as where you SHOULD go, it depends on what kind of dancing your child is interested in and I mainly only know about strong ballet schools as I am a very serious ballet dancer.

The Reston Conservatory is a good one for ballet, but I don't believe they offer any other types of dance. They are relatively relaxed and flexible as far as attendance/dress code, etc. is but they have very good training. Google "Keenan Kampa", a ground breaking ballerina right now, and this is where she trained the majority of her life.

The Center for Ballet Arts in Fairfax is a decently well rounded studio. They have good training in most forms of dance. They are not the best for ballet, or best for jazz, or tap, etc. but if your child is exploring all forms of dance right now then I would recommend looking into classes here.

Ballet Nova is in Arlington but they are another good school for ballet.

Lastly, Encore Performing Arts center is the place to go if you like jazz, tap, and Broadway stylings of dance. Typically their students want to grow up to be Rockettes and such and have good training for that path.

Anyways, I like to think that I have pretty good knowledge of the studios in this area and these would be my recommendations for you.

Posted by: Nick ()
Date: June 01, 2013 03:04PM

Buffas is a ripoff.period

Posted by: downsides ()
Date: June 01, 2013 05:46PM

Ballet is awesome if you want your kid to have anorexia and fucked up feet.

Posted by: from PA ()
Date: June 01, 2013 07:27PM

ALDC in Pittsburgh is by far the best Dance studio on the east coast.
If you are serious about dance, this is the place to be.
They have a number of competitive opportunites every week with different routines.

Posted by: Long Timer ()
Date: June 01, 2013 10:44PM

DAnce dad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Buffa's is still open.
>
> But I must say that the dance studio business is
> the biggest racket out there. They all hire
> teenagers at minimum wage to teach kids a very
> specific routine that is only performed once, they
> sell the cheap costume which can only be wron
> once, then they make you sit through a 3 hour
> peformance with all kinds fo crazy rulesm(can't
> leave early, can't vome late, can't see you kid
> who performed in tvhe first 10 minutes UNTIL
> everyone has performed so you need to wait three
> hours.
>
> It's a cash cow of a business. I think it's a
> scam. Kids should do sports or learn activities
> that are transferable and otherwise useful.

That's been exactly our experience, too, except at ours I don't think they pay the teenagers at all: they give them discounts on their own lessons. Know this from talking to one that lives in the neighborhood.

But the kids enjoy it and it's cheaper than crack.

Posted by: Tammy ()
Date: November 05, 2013 06:27PM

Center Stage mom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Center Stage in Fairfax may be just what you're
> looking for. The recital next month will give you
> a good idea of the depth of talent there.

Hello, I have a dance program Steps By T.A.M.M.Y we are located in Sterling, VA. The program is recreational dance program that produces professional performances! We are also affordable. Check us out at www.stepsbytammy.com

Dance for the experienced & inexperienced dancer!
Posted by: Tammy ()
Date: November 05, 2013 06:31PM

Steps by T.A.M.M.Y is a recreational dance program that produces professional performances! Our program is affordable, fun and exciting. Our students learn the fundamentals of ballet & jazz and our specialty is Hip Hop! Visit our website at www.stepsbytammy.com!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.