HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Shooting at Burke Target
Posted by: Abby ()
Date: May 02, 2012 11:03PM

a friend of mine was 30 feet away from this lady when she shot herself...So even though I do feel sorry that this woman felt the need to kill herself, I dislike how she did so publically, infront of underage persons noless.

I understand were are off you guys are coming from, but what's more important right now is how to get past this event, not why/how it happened.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Resident ()
Date: May 03, 2012 04:27AM

Discuit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah.. The 2nd amendment was cool in the 1700s..
> Personally Im a fan of Article V of the Preamble
> to the
> US Constitution.. It states that the Constitution
> is a living document and amendments can be
> repealed when
> they have outlived their purpose, such as the 16th
> which was repealed by the 18th.
>
> If you're a coward who owns a handgun, please
> suck on it and pull the trigger.

Guns are not the problem. People are the problem. Law abiding citizens carrying firearms responsibly, make the community a safer place. Statistics speak for themselves. Also, majority of Police Officers like the idea of more law abiding citizens carrying firearms...makes their job easier.

We should be making it harder for criminals to obtain firearms, not law abiding citizens.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 03, 2012 07:01AM

Guns suck Wrote:
> Also, how does being "anti-gun" mean I'm
> anti-american, justsayin?

Because being American is defending the rights of all Americans, even if you don't like them. I might not like the things you are saying but I defend your right to say them. I might think you are guilty of a crime and a trial is a waste of time but will defend your right to due process and jury of your peers. The rights for gun ownership are in the exact same document.

Guns suck Wrote:
> And frankly, my point
> was never about being "anti-gun".

I read that, and then I read what you chose for your anon username, I read where you compared me to Hitler because I am a gun owner, I read where you said guns owners were inbreds, and am confused.

You asked about what being a responsible gun owner meant and I took the time to explain it in detail. I didn't call you stupid, didn't call you Hitler, didn't call you an inbred even though you are advocating positions contrary to the Constitution because you say it is 300 years old (better check your history and/or math on that).

The second amendment was effective 221 years ago come December, the same time that freedom of speech, press, due process, protection against unreasonable searches were ratified. You believe those should be thrown out as well because they are the same age? Kinda sounds anti-America.

Guns suck Wrote:
> gun owners are more likely to die (in general but most often
> from a gun) than non-gun owners. That's just a fact and a
> relevant fact in this case.

Post your source. Gun owners are more likely to die in general than non gun-owners? The liklihood of all people dying is 100% regardless of gun ownership status. I'd love to see a source of what you are claiming... that when a gun owner dies the cause of death is by firearm more often than any other reason. I'm laughing at that one, hard.

Posted by: righto ()
Date: May 03, 2012 07:16AM

Discuit: +++++1 Million

Posted by: Mikea ()
Date: May 03, 2012 07:50AM

"Clean up aisle 12"

Posted by: mary ()
Date: May 03, 2012 08:15AM

So what is this person's name?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 03, 2012 08:31AM

@justsayin - well, there's this: http://technoccult.net/archives/2009/11/03/gun-owners-more-likely-to-be-shot-than-non-gun-owners/
and this: http://guncite.com/gun-control-kellermann-3times.html
and then there's this one
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed.html
LoLz

@resident-lady was a law-abiding citizen just like the cop who offed himself and his kid the other week........and yet...........
@Abby - +1. But I would like to find out the whys and wherefores just so we can see if there is actually anything we can do to help prevent it in the future. You never know - we might LEARN something from it, y'know?
@Discuit - so instead of advocating death, why dont YOU grow a pair and try and get the 2nd amendment LEGALLY repealed (per the Constitutional process - y'know, like they did the 18th). Selfish asshole gonna tell other Americans their Constitutional rights are shit just cause YOU dont like their rights? FUCK YOU.

Date: May 03, 2012 08:33AM

@Imfrom - first off, sorry you have to deal with yr demons, yo. Secondly, if you are/were a soldier THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY! I mean that from my heart for reals. Ok, now thirdly, and this shit is harsh so if you cant deal, ignore what I'm about to say

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

ok, thirdly, your ENTIRE post kinda proves why suicide is selfish. You yourself state that when you were doing it, you were thinking ONLY of your pain and suffering. I'm not trying to discredit your deal. I'm just stating that's what you said. And that's the definition of the word

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/selfish

Again, I aint discounting yr pain - I'm just telling you what I got from what you volunteered up. You gave 3 examples as to why you choose suicide over getting help, and none of those examples involved other ppl, thinking of other ppl, or asking other ppl for help. And all that suggests that the thought of other ppl were not on your mind, for whatever reason. Which, of course, goes right back up to that definition. Dispute it if you will. Keep in mind, bro - and you said it yourself - not everyone has suicidal thoughts for the same reason - your reasons may truly be UNIQUE, I dunno. All I know is what I got from what you said, which is why I'm letting you know, k?

For the record, I dont like guns.....but SHIT it's ppls right to have them y'know? And in this particular instance, talking about banning guns makes about as much sense as banning Jermantown Rd cause that other crazy lady jumped off it.

Date: May 03, 2012 08:34AM

@mary - I dont think the cops will tell us if the fam doesnt want it put out there - lady offed herself not anybody else, y'know? Aint like any charges are gonna be filed or anything like that.

Posted by: Gordon Terrier ()
Date: May 03, 2012 09:37AM

Wow, three GordonBLVD posts in a row...

Don't hold back, is there anything else on your mind?

What are your thoughts on pitbulls comitting suicide?

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: May 03, 2012 10:11AM

Abby Wrote:
> a friend of mine was 30 feet away from this lady
> when she shot herself...So even though I do feel
> sorry that this woman felt the need to kill
> herself, I dislike how she did so publically,
> infront of underage persons noless.

Sounds almost like this was personally against that Target. Perhaps a fired employee? Otherwise, why not go into the woods by the Target. There was a guy who killed himself there a few years ago. Maybe there's a suicide vortex there.

Date: May 03, 2012 10:12AM

Discuit Wrote:

> If you're a coward who owns a handgun, please
> suck on it and pull the trigger.

So to be clear, you are in favor of this woman blowing her brains out?

Date: May 03, 2012 10:12AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @justsayin - well, there's this:
> http://technoccult.net/archives/2009/11/03/gun-own
> ers-more-likely-to-be-shot-than-non-gun-owners/

From the link: "Brandishing a gun is a good way to get yourself shot."

I am responding to the claim that owning a gun means you are more likely to be killed by a gun as your cause of death. We only need to look at DC to find non-lawful gun ownership and brandishment, neither of which are what we are talking about unless you have stats that say most gun owners brandish them.

> http://guncite.com/gun-control-kellermann-3times.html

Kind of an old article, 1993. In that time we have expanded lawful carry in most states and violent crimes are lower now than they were in 1993. 1993 homicides by handgun = 14,000. 2010 = 9,500, with population increasing since then.

> and then there's this one
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increaserisk-of,-getting-shot-and-killed.html

Their numbers are backward for that study (in Philly, just sayin'). They looked at shooting deaths and checked if the victim was armed. That doesn't equate to all gun owners, especially given the location of the "study". Gang shootings in Philly and their results do not address legal gun ownership. I read the article and it doesn't say whether the shooters or the victims were legal gun owners.

Explained differently, they didn't survey gun owners totally uninvolved in a murder in Philly, ask how many of those actually carry, and then check to see if that population was more likely to get shot than non-owners or owners-but-not-carriers. You have to look at the methodology behind the numbers to see if they are answering the question.

Posted by: Anything Info Wise ()
Date: May 03, 2012 11:11AM

Ok 56 year old female, check. Yet no other "media" is covering this event but the Patch. What gives? Is this a normal occurence in Fairfax, or is it a busy news day?

Date: May 03, 2012 11:49AM

I'll take this opportunity to observe that not all suicides are selfish, and not all problems are temporary. For example, my great-uncle killed himself when he learned he had Alzheimer's.

Posted by: Woodburn Center ()
Date: May 03, 2012 11:58AM

For GordonBlvd, every suicide is a personal affront to her, and it's an entirely salfish act by someone who is obviously thinking clearly, rationally, and selfishly when they kill themselves...

Gordon's been down this road before, in her "discussion" of another recent suicide in FFX, and her profound lack of knowledge concerning mental illness is quite obvious.

Suicide Is Murder
Posted by: Burke Traveler ()
Date: May 03, 2012 12:09PM

People of this century have forgotten that Suicide is another form of murder. It is classified as murder to one's self.

Thou shall not murder.

Posted by: The Deacon ()
Date: May 03, 2012 01:15PM

Actually, protocol is that anyone without a pulse, traumatic or not, is not transported via Fairfax 1. You can only fit one more paramedic in the helicopter with the patient, and that is not feasible for a working cpr. Ground transport is mandated.

Posted by: Tired of being sick and tired! ()
Date: May 03, 2012 01:54PM

Everyboby wants to be near tragety. I knew one guy years ago that calimed his brother died on 911. Come to find out he did die on 911 but it was in LA in a motor cycle accident. Please STFU with your "I'm so tramatized because I went to Target the night before" or "I almost went to Target just before it happened" My count right now is that I have heard about 2000 people say they were within a few feet of the incident and how sorry they feel. Again STFU. America is sheltered and around here we are down right pathetic. Some crazy lady shot herself in Target. You clean up, shut up and buy some more shit. All these Burke housewives with nothing more to do will mild this until the next drama pops up. Now they have a counseling hot line set up for poeple to talk about it some more. My guess is that if you were not close freind or family member you are just looking for something to freak out about. Again..... FTFU and move on.There is notheing to see here.

Posted by: Gibblet head ()
Date: May 03, 2012 01:58PM

One thing is for sure, she is in hell now. May lucifer fist her soul for all eternity!

Date: May 03, 2012 03:06PM

@gibblet - yipe. try decaf, yo.
@tired - +1
@Deacon - thanks for that schooling :)
@Burke - well, you can go ahead and charge her then......... o_0
@Woodburn - um, wtf are you talking about? You're the only one on this page who is thinking, writing, or caring about me. You really should stop, ok? Cause focusing on a complete stranger on the interweb kinda shows your familiarity with mental illness pretty well.......
@Negative & trog - DAMN! Now those are two damn good points there........
@Anything - tell me when the names of suicides are brought up when the person didnt kill someone else. I dont think they do that. At least I'm not familiar with that happening around here.
@just - I dunno...........yr fudging the numbers in the exact same manner - but I see yr point. We need more info.

Interesting factoid I didnt know till about 45 seconds ago (thanks Wikipedia)

There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths.[6]

I bring it up cause I really didnt think it was a gun-control argument til I heard that. But if that is the case, one could possibly make (or at least debate) a gun-control aspect to this whole thing. Do I buy that? I dunno. But since you have some numbers to back your point up, you at least have a shot, I guess............
edit:I'm just throwing that out there cause I was slamming all you gun-control freaks earlier this morning, but I guess maybe you have an argument.........who knows.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 03:07PM by Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: May 03, 2012 03:07PM

Tired of being sick and tired! Wrote:
> Everyboby wants to be near tragety. I knew one guy
> years ago that calimed his brother died on 911.
> Come to find out he did die on 911 but it was in
> LA in a motor cycle accident. Please STFU with
> your "I'm so tramatized because I went to Target
> the night before" or "I almost went to Target just
> before it happened" My count right now is that I
> have heard about 2000 people say they were within
> a few feet of the incident and how sorry they
> feel. Again STFU. America is sheltered and around
> here we are down right pathetic. Some crazy lady
> shot herself in Target. You clean up, shut up and
> buy some more shit. All these Burke housewives
> with nothing more to do will mild this until the
> next drama pops up. Now they have a counseling hot
> line set up for poeple to talk about it some more.
> My guess is that if you were not close freind or
> family member you are just looking for something
> to freak out about. Again..... FTFU and move
> on.There is notheing to see here.

Spot on! I first noticed this trend after my sister lost a good friend in high school. Kids would carry on about how sad it was and how depressed they were and they didnt even know the girl. As I have grown up I have seen this replay after accidents, school shootings and tragedies of all types. People want attention. Thats it.

Posted by: Meetoo ()
Date: May 03, 2012 03:45PM

You are sick!!!!

Posted by: busejness as usualt ()
Date: May 03, 2012 03:59PM

would it be creepy if I stood in the spot at target where she off'd herself and sang mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the loard, he is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored?

Date: May 03, 2012 09:10PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> But since you
> have some numbers to back your point up, you at
> least have a shot, I guess............
> edit:I'm just throwing that out there cause I was
> slamming all you gun-control freaks earlier this
> morning, but I guess maybe you have an
> argument.........who knows.........

It's a fact that's more likely to back up a pro-gun argument. Most anti-gun people probably think that all those gun deaths are people being killed by an aggressor with a gun.

However, if they're killing themselves, the only argument you could make is "Look at all these people who committed suicide who would be alive today if it weren't for the guns!"

The only problem is that places like South Korea, with virtually zero private ownership of firearms, has the highest suicide rate in the developed world. It's the #1 cause of death for people under 40. Japan, also with similar gun control laws, has a similarly horrifying suicide rate..

Suicidal people, sadly, will find a way.

Posted by: TSki ()
Date: May 03, 2012 09:20PM

From wikipedia on Japanese suicides:

"Common methods of suicide are jumping in front of trains, leaping off high places, hanging, or overdosing on medication.[1] Rail companies will charge the families of those who commit suicide a fee depending on the severity of disrupted traffic.[18]
A newer method, gaining in popularity partly due to publicity from Internet suicide websites,[2] is to use household products to make the poisonous gas hydrogen sulfide. In 2007, only 29 suicides used this gas, but in a span from January to September 2008, 867 suicides resulted from gas poisoning."

Do away with guns and we'll have more people jumping in front of trains.

Date: May 03, 2012 10:50PM

I think I know who this person was. Very odd. Apparently a small child saw the suicide. An irony that won't be missed when they announce who it was (if they do...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 10:50PM by trogdor!.

Posted by: Lockie ()
Date: May 03, 2012 11:08PM

Luckily nobody else was killed by a bullet ricochet or wild bullet.

I'm find with people own guns, just don't tell me I have to own a gun. Guns are a complete hassle and safety hazard.

The gun owners that concern me the most are those that get some type of a rush by carrying a gun around. Like it makes them more of a man. Scary.

I can also do without the psychotic gun owners that go shooting sprees in public places like churchs, malls, or colleges. (Like the Westfield students)

The worst part is when gun owners kill their families and then commit suicide. The gun owner should just off himself.

Posted by: Not that it matters ()
Date: May 03, 2012 11:18PM

She was white, married & had two grown kids.

Used her husbands gun, had a copy made of his gun safe key.

It's pretty screwed up and doesn't seem to have any reason. She left a note behind but I'm no privy to that.

Date: May 03, 2012 11:58PM

Not that it matters Wrote:
> She left a note behind but I'm no
> privy to that.

Very strange. I wonder if her business was failing. Still, that doesn't explain the Target aspect.

Posted by: iamfromtheinternetz ()
Date: May 04, 2012 12:39AM

@gordon calling someone with major (or worse) depression selfish for being suicidal is the equivalent of calling an alzheimer patient arrogant because they believe their god. It's not a rational thought. I'm glad you're proficient and spouting off links to definitions, it clearly shows how uneducated you really are about the whole subject of mental health. You're trying to shoehorn definitions where they make sense to you but not in the overall context of this conversation. Wrong book. Start quoting DSM-IV at me and maybe I'll listen to the point you are desperately trying to make.

Date: May 04, 2012 06:22AM

trogdor! Wrote:
> I think I know who this person was. Very odd.
> Apparently a small child saw the suicide. An
> irony that won't be missed when they announce who
> it was (if they do...)

Where is the irony?

Date: May 04, 2012 12:40PM

justsayin Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> Where is the irony?

SCAN? Do I have the wrong person?

Posted by: westfieldssoccer ()
Date: May 04, 2012 12:43PM

the only good thing that happens with gun ownership is the fulfillment of Darwins Law when they "accidentally" shoot themselves, unfortuneately it happens more often with their innocent kids.

Date: May 04, 2012 12:46PM

westfieldssoccer Wrote:
> the only good thing that happens with gun
> ownership is the fulfillment of Darwins Law when
> they "accidentally" shoot themselves,
> unfortuneately it happens more often with their
> innocent kids.

I think the best thing about gun ownership is that it doesnt matter what you think, I still get to own them.

Posted by: Stones. ()
Date: May 04, 2012 12:49PM

I don't know her and it was not hard to figure out but I think you have the right name but wrong person (unless she drove 6 hours to work) so work on your googling skills. I'm sure it's inevitable that it becomes public and before I saw the obit, I wouldn't have cared but it is more obvious she is a real person and there are no winners in this. Don't make it worse for her family by making personal attacks and keep the debate, but leave her name out of it.

Date: May 04, 2012 01:00PM

Stones. Wrote:

> Don't make it worse for her family by making
> personal attacks and keep the debate, but leave
> her name out of it.

Not sure if you were directing that at me, but......
6 hours to McLean?

Unfortunately, you just gave the FU sleuths all they need to figure it out, but now you can't edit your post to delete that info.

Date: May 04, 2012 01:05PM

Then I don't see the irony b/c I don't know what she does and I thought you were referencing something different.

So how did I give them all they need to know to figure it out? What info did I provide? Because I mentioned that it's easy to find out who it was because that's stupid logic. Oh, or was it because I mention an obit? in reference to a person who recently died?! Wow, I'm really laying down bombshells here.

Date: May 04, 2012 01:06PM

You were the only person here who actually mentioned anything related to her as a real person. Twice. the irony reference and McLean. Shame on you for trying to deflect attention from yourself to my anonmously awesome references.

Posted by: 50 cent spy ()
Date: May 04, 2012 01:22PM

If you can't figure out who this was by now..... You my friend area complete idiot! Let it go peeps.

Posted by: lazy ()
Date: May 04, 2012 01:56PM

I dont feel like googling who it was, nor do I really even care that much. Somebody else post who it was.

Posted by: 2pac ()
Date: May 04, 2012 10:38PM

lazy Wrote:
> I dont feel like googling who it was, nor do I
> really even care that much. Somebody else post
> who it was.

This woman has no right to privacy. You don't kill yourself in a target and not want you name out there. And she committed a crime by firing a gun in public. If she had lived she would have been charged.

so I'm guessing that the "reinvention" didnt go so well
Date: May 05, 2012 09:07AM

and yeah, we'll never prolly know why this happend
but yeah, suicide in a public place is a public event
but still, the cops aren't going to volunteer (and dont have too, either) that info sense there is obviously no danger to the public anymore............

she may have given up the right to privacy, 2pac - but that doesnt mean we continue to take those same rights away from her loved ones, y'dig?

Posted by: No Dirty Hippies Allowed ()
Date: May 05, 2012 10:21AM

"y'dig"

???

Are you 90 years old?

Date: May 05, 2012 05:08PM

So what is her name since I am a "complete idiot" not being able to figure it out? If she didn't want her "name out there" then she shouldn't have done it in Target.

Date: May 05, 2012 06:04PM

@mary - if you really wanna know, you'd look - I figured it out so I know that any other complete idiot can LoLz
@no - pretty much...............

Posted by: check the obits ()
Date: May 05, 2012 07:36PM

@mary...it's not rocket science

Date: May 05, 2012 08:22PM

Not sure where to look or I would...I don't spend alot of time on the internet to know "where" to look. Since no one is saying, I figure you all don't know either.

Posted by: obit comber ()
Date: May 05, 2012 08:22PM

I have been checking the WaPo obits since Wednesday and have yet to find even one suspect. I don't think Gordon Blvd actually knows anything.

Posted by: Johnny Galt ()
Date: May 05, 2012 08:25PM

obit comber Wrote:
> I have been checking the WaPo obits since
> Wednesday and have yet to find even one suspect. I
> don't think Gordon Blvd actually knows anything.

You sir, could not be more precise and accurate.

-jg

p.s. Oh you mad cuz I'm stylin' on you?

-
-
-

Posted by: denise ()
Date: May 05, 2012 08:32PM

I figured it out by looking at local funeral home obituaries and found debra.

Date: May 05, 2012 08:33PM

@orbit...you are right about Gordon Blvd. However, I did figure it out.

Date: May 05, 2012 08:36PM

How? Without giving it completely away, of course. Curiouser and curiouser.

Date: May 05, 2012 08:38PM

Never mind, I got it.

Posted by: Target ()
Date: May 06, 2012 10:07AM

I'm going to quit working there cuz ever since thursday nite we been hearing crying soundz from that aisle. DA PLACE IS HAUNTEED BY DIS WOMENS!

Posted by: Confused ()
Date: May 06, 2012 10:57AM

Why the mystery id? FFU regularly has posts that announce deaths in the community. Is this case different?

Date: May 06, 2012 12:00PM

@confused - cause those posts normally involve official notification. I dunno about the others but I found out off of a facebook acct so I'm keeping my mouth shut since the relatives of the lady arent like officially putting it out there..........

Date: May 06, 2012 01:15PM

@confused, My guess is that if you find out her name, it's because you found the obit. And if you look at the obit, it changes your perception of the whole situation. You realize how much this sucks for the family and they were completely schocked by this. It's like if it were to happen to your own mom out of the blue. No-one seems to have seen this comming and no-one understands "why". So then criticizing on a personal level isn't as fun anymore.

Maybe this community has the littlest bit of class and respect for the family and really no reason to transform the anonymous criticism for how she did it to the full name of the actual person. Doesn't really do anything but link her name to these posts in a search engine. Meanwhile, if you are that curious about who it is, it's easy to find so posting the name is not "helping" anyone and pretty much dickish. I'm sure someone will do it though because this world is full of dicks.

Posted by: targetshopper ()
Date: May 07, 2012 12:31PM

Fairfax Memorail Gardens.... Debra Anderson......

Posted by: Not your place ()
Date: May 07, 2012 01:18PM

Someone please delete her name. It isn't anyone's place here to publish that information. It benefits no one here and only serves to hurt the family.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: May 07, 2012 01:23PM

Not your place Wrote:
> Someone please delete her name. It isn't anyone's
> place here to publish that information. It
> benefits no one here and only serves to hurt the
> family.

I don't know if you're new here, but there are almost no editorial or moderator standards here. People say, post, and discuss the most tasteless things, and many here have zero class or politeness. That's the nature of this place, I'm afraid, and it's unlikely to change.

Date: May 07, 2012 01:30PM

Not your place Wrote:
> Someone please delete her name. It isn't anyone's
> place here to publish that information. It
> benefits no one here and only serves to hurt the
> family.

I am of the opinion that it was not her place to shoot herself in public.

Posted by: googler ()
Date: May 07, 2012 02:18PM

targetshopper Wrote:
> Fairfax Memorail Gardens.... Debra Anderson......

I wonder if she was on antidepressants - some (all?) known to have the potential side-effect of increasing suicidal tendencies.

According to the funeral home obit the family is requesting that donations be made to, among others, the Fibromyalgia Society (or something like that). That particular disorder has been debated as to whether it's actually physical or psychological and often is "treated" with antodepressants.

Date: May 07, 2012 03:16PM

Oh I've been here for years, I'm well aware that there are no rules and the inmates are indeed running the asylum. I rarely agree with it, but in this case, had to say something.

And while I agree in part with this:
"I am of the opinion that it was not her place to shoot herself in public."

You're right, and if she were alive and the only person to be hurt by her name coming out - go ahead and post it. But she's gone and now the only people hurt by her name being public is her family who as far as we know, had nothing to do with it. So let them morn in peace and move on.

I looked up her name last week, kept it to myself. I was curious, it was easy to find, but knew there was no benefit anyone, let alone in a public forum. There seems to be confusion on what we "can" do, with what we "should" do.

Posted by: Local One ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:06PM

Miss Mary,
Look at Jefferson Funeral Home or Fairfax Memorial Funeral home at their list of obits.

If you are not able to find it on one of those pages, you won't find it.

> Not sure where to look or I would...I don't spend
> alot of time on the internet to know "where" to
> look. Since no one is saying, I figure you all
> don't know either.

Posted by: Jane_evan ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:09PM

As a Mother of two kids, I don't understand why a person would pick such a public place like Target to end her life.

She could have gone to the railroad tracks and done it where no people were watching.

My condolences go to her family.

Target isn't the place to do this.

I hope that there are no copy cats that will try/ do the same thing

Date: May 07, 2012 05:29PM

Jane_evan Wrote:
>
> I hope that there are no copy cats that will try/
> do the same thing

Could be why there wasn't a press release on it (at least that I saw). At least that is why I assumed there was no release. This weekend I was in a Wal-Mart thinking to myself "I hope there isn't a copycat here today."

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:46PM

My heart as well goes out to her family. I am not going to judge the prevailing wisdom or lack thereof, of publishing her name, as her family is certainly in a lot of pain at this time.

As for debilitating conditions, I did read it, and hope that others will use this as example, to reach out to our neighbors, family, friends, whomever might be going through a medical struggle, and at least show a bit of compassion. Its amazing what a dinner, just kicking back with someone, or a simple gesture can mean, to someone who is in a lot of pain.

Posted by: @target shopper ()
Date: May 07, 2012 06:07PM

You stink. Many other people knew the name but did not post it. You did, for no good reason. Happy with yourself now?

For once, decency prevailed on this forum, and YOU took that away. Hope you're pleased about it.

This woman was obviously suffering, and her family is also suffering, which is why the regulars here kept their traps shut. Get a life, you loser!

Date: May 07, 2012 09:13PM

Local One Wrote:
> Miss Mary,
> Look at Jefferson Funeral Home or Fairfax Memorial
> Funeral home at their list of obits.
>
> If you are not able to find it on one of those
> pages, you won't find it.
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not sure where to look or I would...I don't
> spend
> > alot of time on the internet to know "where" to
> > look. Since no one is saying, I figure you all
> > don't know either.

...says the poster replying to an antiquated post. Really? In the same forum that has the answer to this person's question, you are giving instructions on how to search for the answer? How do you respond to that post and not see the 10 or so after it?

Date: May 07, 2012 09:19PM

targetshopper Wrote:
> Fairfax Memorail Gardens.... Debra Anderson......

Hey everybody, look at the dick! You get to be "the one". Good for you! We all knew it would happen, this forum mentioned it was inevitable but you won the prize! You get to officially be a classless loser who can hide behind anonymous posts. You're parents must be proud.

Posted by: Just Got Here ()
Date: May 08, 2012 02:44AM

How is Debra doing? Is she going to make a full recovery? Is it safe to say she got the attention she was seeking?

Date: May 08, 2012 10:05AM

Stones. Wrote:
> Hey everybody, look at the dick! You get to be
> "the one". Good for you! We all knew it would
> happen, this forum mentioned it was inevitable but
> you won the prize! You get to officially be a
> classless loser who can hide behind anonymous
> posts. You're parents must be proud.

I don't understand the outrage here... her name is already on publicly-accessible Web sites, and she was in the middle of a public incident. The fact that her name would be mentioned here in addition to those other sources isn't out of the ordinary or inappropriate.

Put another way, you are here in this thread. Why? And why is it better to make it more difficult for others to find this thread you are in? Her kids are adults, sure it may be hard for them to read this thread. But hers wasn't a private passing. It was in public and her actions traumatized a lot of people. She was a person in obvious need of help and I wish she got it before it was too late, but there may be people coming to this thread that need help as well.

Date: May 08, 2012 10:13AM

Clean up on aisle 63.

Date: May 08, 2012 10:16AM

Employee Wrote:
> I am an employee at the Target. The store is
> currently closed for investigation but will
> re-open tonight at 7pm. The woman walked backed to
> electronics and then proceeded to shoot herself.
> Shoplifters are stopped at the front of the store
> as they are exiting, not within, so that is false
> information. I don't know why she did it. No
> Target employees or other customers were
> physically hurt.

Was any merchandise damaged from the exit wound? If so, when will the markdown sale happen (you know, the dings and dents section)....

Posted by: Target Video ()
Date: May 08, 2012 04:37PM

Target actually has footage of the deceased woman walking into the store. There is survelliance footage of her in the book area. She didn't draw any attention to herself.

Her funeral is on the 12th of May; one day prior to Mother's day.
I feel very bad for her entire family.

>
> Could be why there wasn't a press release on it
> (at least that I saw). At least that is why I
> assumed there was no release. This weekend I was
> in a Wal-Mart thinking to myself "I hope there
> isn't a copycat here today."

Posted by: Sojourned ()
Date: May 08, 2012 04:40PM

If this was your mom, sister, or friend you wouldn't be mocking this person. When you get older or some maturity, think back to how you could have seriously been better at this time.

Date: May 08, 2012 04:44PM

Sojourned Wrote:
> If this was your mom, sister, or friend you
> wouldn't be mocking this person. When you get
> older or some maturity, think back to how you
> could have seriously been better at this time.

Someone committed suicide in the middle of a crowded store. I hate to brake it to ya but that qualifies as a public topic.

EDIT: For those that say 'Think of her family' I retort with 'Why dont you think about the families that were in the store that day' Hey I can empathize with her family but you know what? In the end, she cruelly assaulted every single person in the store that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 04:54PM by JBass.

Date: May 08, 2012 05:08PM

@JBass - that's kinda faulty logic yo. Same logic would say that Gardner's kids should get molested, etc., etc. Aint right.

@just - no, this time the fam of the lady wasnt all up on here making a scene, y'know? It was just a troll move to do this time around, is all.........I mean what else we really need to know about it?

Posted by: very odd ()
Date: May 08, 2012 05:16PM

Debra Anderson, for some very strange reason, wanted to exit this world in a dramatic fashion, so expecting privacy is a bit silly.

Why in the store?

She leaves her house with a gun and walks into target---why?

Was she going to shoot herself in her car in the parking lot?

Maybe she didn't want to leave a mess for the family to clean up but had no problem burdening the Target staff and EMTs with the mess.

A very selfish act.

I understand the connection between suicide and depression-but the public display is whacked and very selfish.

Posted by: Lady Devine ()
Date: May 08, 2012 06:00PM

I continue to wonder why a woman would choose a public store at noon to kill herself.

Some people on this site tell us not to worry "why"....... Do it where people don't have to see it or the aftermath. Many folks have had their lives changed on 1 May, 2012. Not just the immediate family of the woman, not just her friends..... the many people that were in Target when it happened.

for some very strange reason,
> wanted to exit this world in a dramatic fashion,
> so expecting privacy is a bit silly.
>
> Why in the store?
>
> She leaves her house with a gun and walks into
> target---why?
>
> Was she going to shoot herself in her car in the
> parking lot?
>
> Maybe she didn't want to leave a mess for the
> family to clean up but had no problem burdening
> the Target staff and EMTs with the mess.
>
> A very selfish act.
>
> I understand the connection between suicide and
> depression-but the public display is whacked and
> very selfish.

Date: May 08, 2012 06:09PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @JBass - that's kinda faulty logic yo. Same logic
> would say that Gardner's kids should get molested,
> etc., etc. Aint right.

Sorry, Im really not following your train of thought here.

Posted by: On Target ()
Date: May 08, 2012 06:28PM

GordonBlvd...train of thought?

That's a good one!

Date: May 08, 2012 08:55PM

JBass Wrote:

>
>
> Someone committed suicide in the middle of a
> crowded store. I hate to brake it to ya but that
> qualifies as a public topic.
>
> EDIT: For those that say 'Think of her family' I
> retort with 'Why dont you think about the families
> that were in the store that day' Hey I can
> empathize with her family but you know what? In
> the end, she cruelly assaulted every single person
> in the store that day.

Exactly. Other people were messed up by her public act. Guess what though, it's not like you can't "think of her family" and the "familes that were in the store that day". They're not exclusive.

The fact is that there are no winners here. Her actions screwed up people in the store and screwed up her own family even more. I think the point is that there is no point to discuss her personally. It doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever. How is your logic that she "cruelly assaulted every singe person in the store that day" served by listing her name? Fine, she lost her privacy but just because you can't punish her or get her back for what she did, you should do something that really serves no purpose but potentially cause more pain for her family?

Anyone who wants to know who she is, can find out. The point of the posters who think it's in bad taste is that by doing so all you do is increase the likelihood that her family is directed to a pretty heartless forum. There is rarely sympathy on FU so it really doesn't serve any benefit at all to direct them here.

It's a utilitarian thing man. No winners here so no reason to make a shitty situation worse for folks already in hell. It's just classless, that's all.

Posted by: ORCGUY ()
Date: May 08, 2012 09:34PM

I own a handgun...but I'm not a coward. I've been putting people in jail for 18 years, and have a right to protect myself and my family from those who MAY choose to do harm. What IF the lady in Target had decided to take some customers out with her? You go running for the door screaming, "Help Meh, Help Meh", while I, slowly draw my concealed weapon (that you never knew I had), and put an end to the killing spree. That my friend is not being a "coward".

Posted by: Fantasy Fest ()
Date: May 08, 2012 09:41PM

Nice fantasy you have there, junior. I really hope you're some overweight clown who's been repeatedly denied a carry permit, and that you're not really a cop...

Anyone yelling "hep me" would be running away from you.

Posted by: Ironic ()
Date: May 08, 2012 09:46PM

Certainly no winners here in this situation. For me a bit of irony. I have long debated with one of my parents about the merits of a concealed weapon permit. I missed walking in on a robbery in my girlfriends appartment by less than 60 minutes and was in the Twinbrook Baskin Robins roughly 15 or 20 minutes before it was robbed. One of my parents was one of the first people to come on the scene in Target. I was asked what would have happened had that person turned the gun on other people. Out of respect to my parents, I turned and said " Maybe the need to be armed and protect youself in public isn't such a far feched idead ". I feel for everyone that was impacted by this act.

Posted by: Hope Rests Saturday ()
Date: May 08, 2012 10:17PM

This thread will be laid to rest soon.

How many more comments will be made?

> Certainly no winners here in this situation. For
> me a bit of irony. I have long debated with one of
> my parents about the merits of a concealed weapon
> permit. I missed walking in on a robbery in my
> girlfriends appartment by less than 60 minutes and
> was in the Twinbrook Baskin Robins roughly 15 or
> 20 minutes before it was robbed. One of my
> parents was one of the first people to come on the
> scene in Target. I was asked what would have
> happened had that person turned the gun on other
> people. Out of respect to my parents, I turned and
> said " Maybe the need to be armed and protect
> youself in public isn't such a far feched idead ".
> I feel for everyone that was impacted by this act.

Posted by: seriously? ()
Date: May 08, 2012 11:04PM

If she did it in a private setting her name would have never gotten out. Do you think because she did it in a public place that she wanted her name released?

Date: May 09, 2012 09:19AM

Reading between the lines, though the woman may have been depressed, she also had an incurable medical condition that caused ongoing physical pain.

She did what she had to do to end her own suffering.

Why not at home? It’s possible she just didn’t want her husband to see her that way. If that was the case, she wouldn’t have wanted to do it outdoors either, since animals were liable to get to her body before her husband found her.

Instead, she chose a relatively anonymous but orderly indoor space.

It’s unfortunate that shoppers and store employees were exposed to this. It's worth considering how this upset could have been avoided if only the lady’s doctor had been able to provide her with a more humane way to put herself down.

Unfortunately, in our culture – where people feel personally persecuted by strangers who opt out of a life of torment (who’s selfish, again?) – this sort of mercy is offered only to animals.

Date: May 09, 2012 09:50AM

What a total load of bullshit.

Posted by: ditto ()
Date: May 09, 2012 10:07AM

BS indeed.

Sometimes people committ suicide to "punish" their supposed love ones also.

Maybe there is more to this--hence the grandiose manner in which she killed herself.

As a mother, I would never punish my kids by killing myself in a public store.

The act brings shame on one's family.

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:05AM

"The point of the posters who think it's in bad taste is that by doing so all you do is increase the likelihood that her family is directed to a pretty heartless forum."

If your mother committed suicide would you really be searching the internet for forums about the incident? I don't understand this, I have lost three friends to suicide and not once did I say to myself "Let me go search for their names and read what anonymous people are saying about them." You bury them, you grieve, and you move on.

"Sometimes people committ suicide to "punish" their supposed love ones also."

Exactly, I don't think that is the case here but in one of my friends situations I am almost positive that he did it because he thought it would hurt his wife. The best part is that she moved on and re-married and is raising her kids just fine without him. I always get a smile on my face when I think about how she refused to let his selfish act dictate how she would live the rest of her life.

Date: May 09, 2012 02:18PM

NegativeDreamStealer +1

Date: May 09, 2012 02:33PM

@justsayin,ditto - you call bullshit like you 100% know what was goin on in that lady's head - we dont know and maybe Negative is right about what went down. How you gonna rationalize crazy-thought about why she picked Target, y'know?..........but yeah it does SOUND like bs lol.
@ontarget - a derailed train LoLz
@JBass - yeah bad analogy I take it back.

Posted by: Dunce ()
Date: May 09, 2012 02:37PM

Ironic Wrote:

Wow Ironic you know of 2 instances where if you had a gun you would not have been on the scene anyhow and it would have made no difference.

Plus you obviously don't know the definition of irony.

Kudos to your inflated ego that made you believe posting what you were thinking made any sense and was interesting.

Date: May 09, 2012 05:52PM

Ironic Wrote:

What on earth is your point? You were almost privy to 2 robberies? So if no-one was hurt, what's the point of you potentially having been there with a gun? Are you saying you would have saved an ice cream place $100 bucks or something? What do you bet that if you were there with a gun, someone would be dead?

And the fact of the matter is that the woman didn't turn the gun on other people so there was no need for anyone to protect themselves in public. Your point is that if hypothetically people who didn't turn guns on other people did, then it would support your belief that people should be armed? I suppose that makes sense if lots of hypothetical people were hypothetically shooting other hypothetical people in public but your logic otherwise makes no sense.

Posted by: Giffords ()
Date: May 09, 2012 06:36PM

Many were locked and loaded in the AZ shooting. Everyone said it happened so fast they had no idea where the shots came from. Nobody was saved from anyone who owned a legal gun.

Different scenario but still something to think about.

Posted by: seriously? ()
Date: May 10, 2012 09:13AM

I wonder if Target has lost business since this happened.

I doubt it
Date: May 10, 2012 09:20AM

believe it or not, there are a LOT of ppl dont even know it happened..............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 09:20AM by Gordon Blvd.

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.