HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VA State Tax Refund
Posted by: taxsucks ()
Date: April 25, 2012 04:42PM

Still haven't gotten mine, filed at least 6 weeks ago. Anybody else still waiting on theirs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VA State Tax Refund
Posted by: reality ()
Date: April 25, 2012 04:44PM

Filed electronically - refund processed in 2 days. Done.

Posted by: taxsucks ()
Date: April 25, 2012 04:46PM

reality Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Filed electronically - refund processed in 2 days.
> Done.

I filed electronically also. What the hell!!!

Posted by: may2010 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 05:54AM

Double check with the State. You can go online to the state's website, supply basic info, and they can tell you the status of your refund. Funny thing, in Feb. I filed my daughters by E-File, Fed and State at the same time. I printed a copy to show that it was done. No state return. I contacted them last week sand they said they never received the return. So I had to refile and currently waiting on the return. Second daughter filed at the same time, in Feb, and she got both her Fed and State returns in a couple of weeks.

Posted by: flight risk ()
Date: April 26, 2012 09:10AM

I filed mine at the start of the tax season electronically and got my little $142 direct deposit about 6 days later. Not bad.

Maybe you owe VA something, and there is a set-off and thats why it is taking so long to get back to you?

Date: April 26, 2012 09:36AM

taxsucks Wrote:
> Still haven't gotten mine, filed at least 6 weeks
> ago. Anybody else still waiting on theirs?

Paper or e-file? They time penalize paper filiers to encourage e-filing.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: April 26, 2012 10:11AM

may2010 Wrote:
> Double check with the State. You can go online to
> the state's website, supply basic info, and they
> can tell you the status of your refund.

Why do that? Posting questions complaining on this forum should get the problem solved, right?

Posted by: do ()
Date: April 26, 2012 06:19PM

If you are an ignorant wage slave, you get a tax refund.

If not, after your accountant has done their best, you make quarterly tax payments.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 26, 2012 09:43PM

do Wrote:
> If you are an ignorant wage slave, you get a tax
> refund.
>
> If not, after your accountant has done their best,
> you make quarterly tax payments.

Not necessarily true.

For many people tax refunds are their best savings vehicles. Give them an extra $100 per pay period and they will probably fritter it away. Withhold it and pay it back as a tax refund and they've got $2400. In addition quarerly payments require FINANCIAL DISCIPLINE. You've got to remember that $10,000 sitting in your bank account in late May is there to pay your June 15 estimated payment and not to be used as a down payment on that new Beemer. Same comment applies to those who shoot to be 90% paid in by January 15 rather than 100%.

Another danger for those quarterly payments is when people fall into the "I couldn't possibly owe as much in taxes this year as I did last year" trap. When their income ends up holding steady or going up they end up getting hit with penalties, even if they are paid in full with their fourth quarter payment. With withholdings the IRS doesn't know when the money is withheld, so you can always make later year adjustments to cover penalties.

The final issue is that keeping your tax money in your pocket makes more sense as safe rates of return go up. Given the pathetic rates of return available on many safe investments at the moment it would be more appropriate to say keeping your tax money in your pocket makes more cents.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.