HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fake cop or not?
Posted by: need info ()
Date: April 24, 2012 05:46PM

While cruising down the HOV lanes toward DC today-as a passenger- we were in the left lane going about 70 mph. The speed limit is 65 mph so hardly-excessive speeding.

Upon approaching a car in the right lane, that car blasted some type of siren--no visible lights or anything- and made a hand motion to our driver to slow down-while mouthing the words "slow down".

The car had VA tags, and no visible markings as law enforcement. The drive had on a shirt and tie.

So, what authority does this guy have to tell other cars to slow down?

Any ideas?

I wrote down the license plate number.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fake cop or not?
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: April 24, 2012 05:52PM

Next time just flick off whoever does that to you, and you'll learn real quick if it is a cop or not.

You don't mention a third person in the car, was this I-66? Where on I-66 was this that had a 65 mph speed limit?

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: April 24, 2012 05:52PM

Definitely report it to the (real) coppers.

Posted by: more details ()
Date: April 24, 2012 05:54PM

It was 395 North--not 66.

There were three in our car.

He was alone in his car.

Feds don't have any authority....who does?

Posted by: smeckledorf ()
Date: April 24, 2012 05:59PM

there are alotta agencies that have the ability to pull you over, dea, fbi, whatever the fuck other agencies operate out of this county, the officer probably was on his way to something(probably a stakeout?) and didnt want to bother pulling you over. who the fuck drives around pretending to be a cop, it's faggoty and i think a felony charge?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 24, 2012 06:00PM

Feds dont have authority
LoLz
classic

on a side note, can anybody name what is the largest uniformed federal police agency in the United States? Bet you'd be surprised.

Google way LoLz

Date: April 24, 2012 06:05PM

There are plenty of feds who drive unmarked cars and believe they are entitled to use HOV because they are law enforcement of some capacity. I have spoken with the VSP about this and they said that wasn't the case, I had one trooper tell me for fun he'd pull over those single-occupant guys heading into DC on 66 and they'd try to flash a badge, to which he responded by handing over a ticket. ATF agents, secret service, etc. aren't allowed to use HOV if they are just commuting to work but do it anyway.

So my guess is it was someone from a federal agency that allows armed employees and a personal vehicle fucking with you. Probably under stress from his pals getting caught screwing whores while overseas and hoping his own last trip doesn't come up in the investigation, so now he's Mr. Straight Lace. Except for using HOV lanes in Virginia.

Date: April 24, 2012 06:09PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> on a side note, can anybody name what is the
> largest uniformed federal police agency in the
> United States? Bet you'd be surprised.
>
> Google way LoLz

Probably customs and border patrol.

edit: Google says I am wrong, Veterans Affairs police.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 06:10PM by justsayin.

Posted by: license plate ()
Date: April 24, 2012 06:11PM

any way to run the plates and see if it is a govt owned car?

Wouldn't the tags have some sort of markings?

Date: April 24, 2012 06:45PM

most ppl would think Customs or FBI, yeah. But they arent cops/ Well FBI is, but they arent uniformed. Well, yeah, there is Uniform FBI Police - but they arent that big.

Anywho, yeah, it's the VA Cops. I never thought that - I figured it would have been FPS with the reasoning that there are more Federal Buildings..........but I was wrong to LoLz.

But yeah, Customs aint cops. That's why they are called "agents" not officers. Like the difference between Uniform FBI police and FBI agents, or SS agents vs Uniform SS police.

Posted by: ondaroad ()
Date: April 24, 2012 07:01PM

US Park police have authority. . . .

Posted by: its great to be important ()
Date: April 24, 2012 07:33PM

Was this guy in the car?
Attachments:
orig-13588301.jpg

Posted by: Unmarked Driver ()
Date: April 24, 2012 10:16PM

Yes, unmarked law enforcement officers can drive in HOV. The VA Trooper who gave justsayin his info was wrong.

§ 33.1-46.2. Designation of high-occupancy vehicle lanes; use of such lanes; penalties.

A. In order to facilitate the rapid and orderly movement of traffic to and from urban areas during peak traffic periods, the Commonwealth Transportation Board may designate one or more lanes of any highway in the interstate, primary, or secondary highway systems as high-occupancy vehicle lanes, hereinafter referred to in this section as HOV lanes. When lanes have been so designated and have been appropriately marked with such signs or other markers as the Board may prescribe, they shall be reserved during periods designated by the Board for the exclusive use of buses and high-occupancy vehicles. Any local governing body may also, with respect to highways under its exclusive jurisdiction, designate HOV lanes and impose and enforce restrictions on the use of such HOV lanes. Any highway for which the local jurisdiction receives highway maintenance funds pursuant to § 33.1-41.1 shall be deemed to be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the local governing body for the purposes of this section. HOV lanes shall be reserved for high-occupancy vehicles of a specified number of occupants as determined by the Board or, for HOV lanes designated by a local governing body, by that local governing body. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, no designation of any lane or lanes of any highway as HOV lanes shall apply to the use of any such lanes by:

1. Emergency vehicles such as fire-fighting vehicles, ambulances, and rescue squad vehicles,

2. Law-enforcement vehicles,

Date: April 24, 2012 10:43PM

@UNMARKED:that would mean local VA cops, yo...........

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-100

look under law enforcement officer

those feds can't arrest you for speeding and they aint allowed to go solo on HOV - yeah they could maybe pull you over and detain you, but I dont think theyd want to suffer the wrath of DC for doing some bullshit like that over someone just doing 10 over the limit.

But no, according to the Code of Virginian, they arent the cops, they aren't offical law-enforcement officers unless they are cops in jurisdiction.

Now an out-of jurisdiction cop in a real cop car doing on real cop business (like some MoCo cop going to Arlington Courthouse, something like that), that would be something else, prolly.

But some DEA agent on his way into work, even if he has a Govt car isnt allowed to violate HOV like that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 10:51PM by Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: lolfromabove ()
Date: April 24, 2012 11:49PM

justsayin Wrote:
> There are plenty of feds who drive unmarked cars
> and believe they are entitled to use HOV because
> they are law enforcement of some capacity. I have
> spoken with the VSP about this and they said that
> wasn't the case, I had one trooper tell me for fun
> he'd pull over those single-occupant guys heading
> into DC on 66 and they'd try to flash a badge, to
> which he responded by handing over a ticket. ATF
> agents, secret service, etc. aren't allowed to use
> HOV if they are just commuting to work but do it
> anyway.
>

You spoke with VSP about this? Did you really take the time out of your day to speak with VSP about this little issue of yours?. I call your story a complete bullshit. Somehow I doubt that a state trooper would write up FBI or ATF agent a ticket or did this follow up by the FBI agent stepping out of the car and showing the ticket up that troopers ass?

To prove your story complete bs, I was in the car with a friend of mine who is/was a fbi agent, he was going well above the speed limit on our way to Quantico and we got stopped by the trooper. My friend was on the phone and didnt even bother to acknowledge the trooper, just stuck his badge out of the window......needless to say we were on our way in a matter of seconds. He stopped us right after Ft.Belvoir exit on 95S

Posted by: Troop ()
Date: April 25, 2012 12:52AM

The law enforcement VEHICLE gets the exemption. A LE from whatever local, state, or gov agency communiting in a POV DOES NOT get the exemption. Certain feds are given conservator of the peace stauts in VA. An HOV violation would not be able to be enforced by these feds since HOV is not a "breach of the peace."

There is professional courtesy to LE types in POV's over Mickey Mouse tickets such as HOV.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 01:04AM by Troop.

Date: April 25, 2012 12:59AM

ondaroad Wrote:
> US Park police have authority. . . .

Actually they do not. HOV is not a breach of the peace. US Park are conservators of the peace under VA law.

Date: April 25, 2012 01:10AM

lolfromabove Wrote:
> justsayin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There are plenty of feds who drive unmarked
> cars
> > and believe they are entitled to use HOV
> because
> > they are law enforcement of some capacity. I
> have
> > spoken with the VSP about this and they said
> that
> > wasn't the case, I had one trooper tell me for
> fun
> > he'd pull over those single-occupant guys
> heading
> > into DC on 66 and they'd try to flash a badge,
> to
> > which he responded by handing over a ticket.
> ATF
> > agents, secret service, etc. aren't allowed to
> use
> > HOV if they are just commuting to work but do
> it
> > anyway.
> >
>
>
> You spoke with VSP about this? Did you really take
> the time out of your day to speak with VSP about
> this little issue of yours?. I call your story a
> complete bullshit. Somehow I doubt that a state
> trooper would write up FBI or ATF agent a ticket
> or did this follow up by the FBI agent stepping
> out of the car and showing the ticket up that
> troopers ass?
>
> To prove your story complete bs, I was in the car
> with a friend of mine who is/was a fbi agent, he
> was going well above the speed limit on our way to
> Quantico and we got stopped by the trooper. My
> friend was on the phone and didnt even bother to
> acknowledge the trooper, just stuck his badge out
> of the window......needless to say we were on our
> way in a matter of seconds. He stopped us right
> after Ft.Belvoir exit on 95S

Gee one little story is not the whole picture. Your FBI buddy should consider himself grateful that "flashing the badge" was not a big deal to the Trooper. Down here doing that is a huge sign of disrespect.

Posted by: bill ()
Date: April 25, 2012 08:26AM

I've had Metro Transit cops move over and tailgate me when I've passed them on the right on the Beltway when they were doing 70. Of course they have no jurisdiction if not on Metro property or near a Metrobus stop. If one ever hit their lights, they'll have to follow me to the nearest VSP or FCPD station.

Date: April 25, 2012 08:29AM

lolfromabove Wrote:
> You spoke with VSP about this? Did you really take
> the time out of your day to speak with VSP about
> this little issue of yours?

Who says I took time out of my day? You have no idea what I do for a living.

> I call your story a complete bullshit.

And I don't give the slightest crap that you don't believe me.

Would you like to know the core motivation for their writing tickets I was told? It is because every time some asshole is breaking HOV rules and is seen by VSP, one of their Troopers needs to pull them over and stand next to a vehicle on a shoulder with their back to a busy highway. Troopers get hit and injured/killed enforcing HOV. So when some entitled fed with a personal car and a couple of blue lights thinks he can break the rules others cited above and has taken the Trooper out of his way to pull him over, literally putting his "fellow law enforcement's" life at risk, they are going to get tickets sometimes.

Date: April 25, 2012 08:35AM

@just usually, if a cop gives you an HOV ticket, that's because he was ASSIGNED to do that job. No cop is going to be doing that for fun, yo.

@bill If Metro Transit actually flips on it's lights and you dont pull over, you run the risk of MORE trouble, yo. They wouldnt flip on their lights for just a speeding ticket, that's for sure. It's funny you would think they would even care about you passing them on the Beltway...........
@Troop +1
@lol - maybe the trooper was just going to tell you your taillight was out, and your friend acted like such a jackass, that the trooper just said Fuck It. Could be more than one reason why that went down the way it did, m'man.

Date: April 25, 2012 08:51AM

On the exit ramps yes but not enforcement along the highway. They pull for speeding, HOV, whatever. They may be assigned an area to patrol, but that's obvious.

Posted by: walleyed ()
Date: April 25, 2012 09:00AM

"who the fuck drives around pretending to be a cop, it's faggoty and i think a felony charge?"

a few years back they had a rash of dudes pretending to be cops in the county. One I can specifically remember is a guy hanging around Pickett Shopping center. Haad a cop like looking car and wore a uniform. He eventually hassled one too many folks and got caught.

Saw accident recently on Little River Turnpike. Looked like the first officer on the scene was driving an unmarked Chevy Malibu of recent vintage.

Posted by: lilbitpoorer ()
Date: April 25, 2012 09:23AM

The only feds with the ability to pull you over and write you a ticket on any roads in VA are the US Park Police......trust me I know from getting a speeding ticket on 66 :(

Posted by: lilbitpoorer ()
Date: April 25, 2012 09:25AM

oh and a HOV violation to boot!

Posted by: Ticket Champ ()
Date: April 25, 2012 09:51AM

Troop Wrote:
> ondaroad Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > US Park police have authority. . . .
>
> Actually they do not. HOV is not a breach of the
> peace. US Park are conservators of the peace under
> VA law.

Troop I got an HOV ticket from Park Police and when I went to court the judge said it was a breach of peace or they could do it or something. Anyways it cost me some dough! Guess no one knows their real authority.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 25, 2012 11:55AM

I think this may be relevant to the OP's question:

§ 19.2-78. Uniform of officer making arrest.

All officers whose duties are to make arrests acting under the authority of any law of this Commonwealth or any subdivision thereof, who shall make any arrest, search or seizure on any public road or highway of this Commonwealth shall be dressed at the time of making any such arrest, search or seizure in such uniform as he may customarily wear in the performance of his duties which will clearly show him to casual observation to be an officer.

Nothing in this section shall render unlawful any arrest, search or seizure by an officer who is not in such customary uniform.

Posted by: fwhat if? ()
Date: April 25, 2012 12:08PM

I am still unclear who has authority to tell me not to speed on 395/HOV lanes.

If I had flipped this guy off---what would be the consequences?

He was not in uniform.

Posted by: wtfm8 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 05:38AM

What kind of stupid question is this? Anyone can make a request. I can honk at you and signal for you to roll down you window to inquire if you have any grey poupon. I can also ask you to slow down. What is so hard to get about this? The guy, LE or not, thought you were being a tool and made a request/recommendation. How about you consider why the request was made and possibly heeding it instead of raging against the machine.

Posted by: Arzaha ()
Date: June 22, 2012 05:42PM

Ways up man

Posted by: hoser ()
Date: June 22, 2012 08:55PM

fwhat if? Wrote:
> I am still unclear who has authority to tell me
> not to speed on 395/HOV lanes.
>
> If I had flipped this guy off---what would be the
> consequences?
>
> He was not in uniform.

Flipping the bird is protected speech under the First Amendment according to several searchable cases.

Date: June 22, 2012 09:00PM

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: June 22, 2012 11:25PM

@ hoser....go ahead and flip a cop the bird. he will find a reason to stop you, write you 10 tickets, and send you on your way. that is if you dont get an attitude and he just arrest you for disorderly conduct. i dare you to flip off the next cop you see, but you wont because your a chicken shit.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.