HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
getting rid of a condo....
Posted by: john696969 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 04:28PM

i just got a new job that will involved a ton of travel and i want to get rid of my condo.

i paid 204,900 two years ago and i owe about 201,000. i have a traditional mortgage and i am not behind on any payments.

i spoke to a long and foster realtor today who said she thinks i should list it between 199,000 and 205,000. based on her own number if i list it there i will end up owing somewhere near $22,000 between commissions and closing costs.

anyone have any ideas? perhaps how to turn it or sell it to be a coroporate apartment?

i am at the point now where i am even willing to sell it completely furnished....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: getting rid of a condo....
Posted by: WaitItOut ()
Date: April 15, 2008 04:47PM

You and everyone else, unfortunately...

The main question is how bad do you need to sell it right now. Of course, if you're in the position to do so, wait this out. Condos, as everyone knows, are very, very difficult to move right now.

Could you perhaps rent the condo, fully furnished, and continue to pay the mortgage while maintaining your financial stability?

I was looking to rent a condo a few months back. This seems to be what everyone is doing....renting their properties, now, versus selling. In the hopes that things pick back up here in the next couple years.

Good luck.

Date: April 15, 2008 05:09PM

you know i thought about this. i just wasnt sure where to even look or list it as a furnished unit....any ideas?

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: April 15, 2008 06:05PM

Craigslist.com

Posted by: native ()
Date: April 15, 2008 06:19PM

I am looking for a place, seriously. Where is it located?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: April 15, 2008 06:44PM

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: April 15, 2008 07:30PM

Why would someone facing foreclosure torch the house? The lender is the "loss payee" and they would get the insurance money, not the deadbeat borrower.

Now, I could see mortgage companies torching unsellable houses they have repossessed.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: April 15, 2008 08:39PM

Fuck condos who wants to pay "condo fees" usually a couple hundred a month every month that can be raised at anytime even though you own the place.

Posted by: why me ()
Date: April 15, 2008 08:50PM

Back in '93, we were in the same position you are in now. My wife bought her condo at the hight of the late 80's market, and when we were ready to buy a house, we could not afford to sell the condo. We rented it out for 7 years or so until the market came back. We did not make any money month to month, but we did break even. You are lucky in that Virginia is a very friendly state for landlords.

By the way, why sell if you are not leaving the area? Are you just going to rent?

Date: April 15, 2008 11:38PM

the condo is in germantown, md about 15 miles north of the virginia state line.

i want to get rid of it because i am taking a federal job and i will only be in arlington/dc for a limited period of time then i could be off to anywhere nyc, chicago, or even an american embassy abroad.....

so i would rather try to get rid of it now when i have time, then be rushed with a deadline as i am trying to leave the country.

anyway...it is in excellent condition native, upgrades, etc.

Posted by: Good Speller ()
Date: April 16, 2008 12:24AM

See if the government would be willing to buy it or hook you up with a re-lo company at their expense so that you can move.

If not, rent it out.

PPM is a fine management company.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: April 16, 2008 12:58AM

PPM is excellent.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.