HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Praying Today ()
Date: April 18, 2012 03:21PM

A Fairfax priest was suspended today due to an allegation of something that might have happened in the 1990s. Church rules require that he be removed based solely on the allegation, which he denies, and that the public be notified before the investigation begins. He was not in his current parish at the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Geez ()
Date: April 18, 2012 05:15PM

Do you think they might have come forward some ten years ago when these accusations were more popular? It's a bit late to start looking for money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 05:38PM

The statute of limitations is going to be called into play. Also, let's see how the church, not mentioned here, this is not a very good start to a thread, is handled. Whether through criminal and or civil courts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Sister Christian ()
Date: April 18, 2012 08:34PM

That was fast...Holy Spirit has removed every speck (heh heh) of Fr. Terry Specht; a cursory Google search led me to HOly Spirit Church and shows the screen capture of his bio, etc. When you click on the site, he is not even listed as a priest.

We're all watching, holy Catholic and apostolic church.

What *normal* man today would willingly take vows of chastity? Right there's your answer on why there's a dearth of Roman Catholic priests and the few who remain...would you want your son to become a priest? Even if your son is "normal", would you want him living and working with such men for a lifetime?

There are better ways to serve the Lord. For far too long, the Roman Catholic Church has been a safe harbor for homosexual men. Read. Research. And never, ever allow a young child to be alone, unsupervised with a priest for any amount of time. In fact, limit interactions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Sister Christian ()
Date: April 18, 2012 08:43PM

I also find it odd that no pictures of Terry Specht accompany any of the local articles. You'd think that if authorities were mildly concerned with other possible victims coming forward, a picture would help jog memories and provide needed clarity. I had trouble finding ANY pictures of him. Look closely; I had Terry Specht confused with another priest, but once I saw his photo, I remembered him.

Here's my contribution. Here's Terry Specht's picture:

http://www.reocities.com/lasalettesisters/scan0003.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Catholic parent ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:06PM

Either way, this is tragic for a victim--whether the true victim is the accuser or the accused. I think it's instructive for us to imagine being falsely accused of a sexual crime before casting any judgments. At the same time, of course, it's also essential for us to empathize with the personal hell of being a victim of a sexual crime. I'm left simply praying for justice and peace for the victim.

Full disclosure: I'm a parent who has attended safe environment/anti-sexual-predator training led by Fr. Specht years ago. Such training is required for anyone to volunteer in any capacity in a Catholic school these days. The training I attended was led by Fr. Specht, and at that time, I took him to be as sincerely determined to prevent these horrible crimes as the rest of us. That experience makes it hard for me to believe this could be true, but it's not right for me to judge here anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: AWFUL ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:14PM

This makes me sick just reading about it. Just horrible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Servant ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:29PM

Interesting how a self-righteous sinner can be quick to judge another sinner instead of praying for justice and forgiveness. This is a time for praying and consoling and watching, not judging and condemning and hating. God is just.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Sister Christian ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:35PM

Catholic parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Full disclosure: I'm a parent who has attended
> safe environment/anti-sexual-predator training led
> by Fr. Specht years ago. Such training is required
> for anyone to volunteer in any capacity in a
> Catholic school these days. The training I
> attended was led by Fr. Specht, and at that time,
> I took him to be as sincerely determined to
> prevent these horrible crimes as the rest of us.
> That experience makes it hard for me to believe
> this could be true, but it's not right for me to
> judge here anyway.

Ah, yes. Virtus training. Bankrolled and developed by the Catholic church by a Catholic INSURANCE company. There is no end to the holy Catholic and apostolic church's realm...

Read:(Catholic culture)

Virtus is a program of The National Catholic Risk Retention Group (NCRRG). And what is NCRRG? An insurance company. Now, no responsible insurance executive will inaugurate a program that collides with the interests of his shareholders or his clients. So who are NCRRG's shareholders? Bishops. And who are the clients? Bishops and archbishops — 66 of them, according to its web site, which helpfully explains, "National Catholic is owned and ultimately managed by its Shareholders. Company policies are therefore established by Shareholders for the benefit of Shareholders."

Well, you'd think that language was as plain as day, but Virtus "trainers" are apparently trained not to talk about it. Three years ago, the Diocese of Arlington, Va., began requiring Virtus, along with mandatory criminal background checks, of the faithful.* Fr. Terry Specht*, the chancery's "safe environment" official, assured a parish assembly, "I've had this job for a year and I've never hear that word, 'liability,' used once." But at the same time, Fr. Specht was requiring over 10,000 of Arlington's Catholics to be fingerprinted and to sign hard-nosed waivers absolving the diocese of any liability. Today, three years later, he still does.

Perhaps no one ever told *Fr. Specht*, but Virtus is all about liability.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Servant ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:35PM

I suggest that you do to him what you would want done for you if/when you are in a similar situation...food for thought. Remove the photo - he is not a threat and the allegations have not been proven.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Catholic Mom ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:55PM

FYI-- The Virtus program was begun at least twenty years ago--(not three) I know as I attended the training the first year it was offered by the Diocese. Virtus is a good program. Nothing is perfect in this world, and no one is perfect either. Please pray for Fr. Specht and for his accuser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: f-the bishop ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:57PM

Time to tax religion, also, what the fuck is wrong with you people still donating to the church..your all fucking crazy, and this priest should be crucified.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Moral_Authority ()
Date: April 18, 2012 10:17PM

Don't worry, that monster Obama is a way bigger threat than this pack of organized child molesters and their handlers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: justincahoots ()
Date: April 19, 2012 01:13AM

As a former altar boy, with plenty of experience working with father specht, im shocked. It has been quite some time since my last mass; but i do remember being very fond of father specht. if i had to pick the least molesty priest out of the 3 or 4ish that i worked with, he would certainly get my vote. The guy liked football and beer.... He told off- color jokes during church, while pointing out the finer women in the crowd. Really hope this wasn't him; of all the priests i worked with, Specht was the most likely to keep my ass in church.
Im not one to blame the victim, but i would really like to find out that the accuser was full of shit.... During my time at St Leos, I never met many priests I liked much... but I wouldve bought mad drinks for Specht.... Hes funny, cool, and in touch with the moment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: money? ()
Date: April 19, 2012 03:14AM

Geez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you think they might have come forward some ten
> years ago when these accusations were more
> popular? It's a bit late to start looking for
> money.


those jerry sandusky kids waited longer you doop and they aren't looking for money he isn't micheal jackson they are looking to put this sick fuck in jail and hell where he belongs there will be others coming forth soon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: money? ()
Date: April 19, 2012 03:15AM

coming foward*

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: meoi ()
Date: April 19, 2012 07:50AM

As a woman/mother who was required to sit through the Virtus seminar to be able to volunteer with children, I continue to be offended that such programs were created, and the reason they exist. (>>Because Bishops failed to properly and completely remove such priests).

Background check me as many times as you want, get character references, but make me sit through your course to prevent something others did? Crazy!

And yes, the class I took, four hours one night at St. Leo's in Fairfax, was led by none other than Fr. Specht.

Does that invalidate my certificate?

Options: ReplyQuote
FUCKING CLASSIC, meoi!!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 19, 2012 08:17AM

having to learn virtue from the good Father, eh?

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/04/terry-specht-arlington-priest-accused-of-sexually-abusing-young-man-75053.html

about the Bishops. Not only did they fail to remove, but they (and other ranking Church offcials) ACTIVELY hid their pedo buddies from the eyes of the law and help to perpetuate the myths of the time that raped kids were liars and thus, not to really be believed. A lotta time, pedo priests would be sent to a specific local. One such place was Spokane, WA back in the day. (300 miles from the next major city so who's gonna notice, right?) And guess which diocese even beats Boston's in having to pay out $$$$$$$ for letting their leaders stick their penises up little boys asses?

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sections/diocese/

anywho, that'S the REAL reason you had to sit thru that Virtus crap, hun - it is just something the "Church"'s insurace fund makes you do so they get their asses covered in case you get caught effing a kid. It makes it harder for the kid and kid's fam to sue the church, is all. IT DOESNT HAVE A THING TO DO WITH ACTIVELY PREVENTING CHILD ABUSE IN THE CHURCH - ONLY TO C.Y.A THE CHURCH IN CASE SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN

Just sad, really.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Times Change ()
Date: April 19, 2012 10:00AM

Appears that the Bishops did the right thing in this case. Notified law enforcement, removed the priest from his job, started an investigation, notified the public.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Voice of Reason ()
Date: April 19, 2012 10:01AM

Sister Christian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also find it odd that no pictures of Terry
> Specht accompany any of the local articles. You'd
> think that if authorities were mildly concerned
> with other possible victims coming forward, a
> picture would help jog memories and provide needed
> clarity. I had trouble finding ANY pictures of
> him. Look closely; I had Terry Specht confused
> with another priest, but once I saw his photo, I
> remembered him.
>
> Here's my contribution. Here's Terry Specht's
> picture:
>
> http://www.reocities.com/lasalettesisters/scan0003
> .jpg

This is just terrible.
Attachments:
scan0003.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: BEH ()
Date: April 19, 2012 10:06AM

What kind of meat does a priest eat on fridays?










Nun

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: joha ()
Date: April 19, 2012 10:35AM

I find it disturbing how many parents gripe about having to sit through one 4-hour course on child abuse prevention. I mean really? Can't spend one evening to learn about something that might protect your child in ANY situation - not just church/school related? You didn't pick up any signs you might not have known before that might protect your children in the future. And of course the background checks! How many times I heard, "I have a top secret clearance for my job!" Yeah, good for you - now get the background check or we're not letting you chaperone this trip.

As for Father Specht, I'm so glad to see how everyone is ready to crucify him and get his picture out there. Guilty until proven innocent I suppose. If he did it, yes, but this is SO early in the investigation. Let's see how it plays out before we fry the guy. I am just as sickened by everyone else about how the Church handled abuse in the past, but for once they are following the law - let's see where it leads.

One thing that actually has confused me from day one and I am asking this question to parents out there -- Why would you call the Church officials if your child was being abused? I mean screw that -- go straight to the cops!! The only call I would be making to the pastor or bishop would be to say, "You can expect a knock on the door because the police should be there any minute." I never understood that. I mean, if it was your child's scout leader, do you call Boy Scouts of America or the cops? Same as the Penn State fiasco. McQueery told his dad and coach?? What the hell -- call the cops!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Sister Christian ()
Date: April 19, 2012 10:55AM

joha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it disturbing how many parents gripe about
> having to sit through one 4-hour course on child
> abuse prevention. I mean really? Can't spend one
> evening to learn about something that might
> protect your child in ANY situation - not just
> church/school related? You didn't pick up any
> signs you might not have known before that might
> protect your children in the future.
>
>
>
> ...No, I have no "gripe" about sitting through a four hour sexual abuse prevention seminar, but I do question the Virtus program - again, developed by a Catholic conglomerate of Catholic insurance companies. I've just completed such a seminar and honestly, I learned nothing new that is not common sense.
In fact, most of the "training" seems to be focused upon "stereotypes" that men who molest little boys are homosexual. All the video examples show this that most of the abused boys were (SHOCK) molested by ANOTHER male. Not all - but the video (and news/statistics) bear this out. In Virtus, more emphasis is placed on NOT calling the perps homosexual (what's that all about?)...and very little practical advice.

Case in point: child welfare experts advise parents to teach their children that if they get lost in a public place to find a MOMMY. Huh! Why not a single man? Because, statistics and common sense dictate that a Mommy with children is not going to do any harm...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: f-the bishop ()
Date: April 19, 2012 11:01AM

yeah, real smart to follow a religion who's symbol is a guy nailed to two pieces of wood. also, who's leaders take a vow of having no sex..the biggest bullshit story in the world is religion, hands down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: perspective ()
Date: April 19, 2012 11:06AM

joha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it disturbing how many parents gripe about
> having to sit through one 4-hour course on child
> abuse prevention. I mean really?
> And of
> course the background checks! How many times I
> heard, "I have a top secret clearance for my job!"

I don't think the complaint is unjustified. I did the Virtus training myself even though I am cleared. I didn't complain to anyone, but I did have to drive to a far-away parish to do it, and during the class I looked around and gosh, saw no priests there. So because of a scandal the leadership caused, _I_ am in the class? I'm sorry if you don't understand why the "good guys" would be irritated by that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: joha ()
Date: April 19, 2012 12:05PM

perspective Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> joha Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
>
> I don't think the complaint is unjustified. I did
> the Virtus training myself even though I am
> cleared. I didn't complain to anyone, but I did
> have to drive to a far-away parish to do it, and
> during the class I looked around and gosh, saw no
> priests there. So because of a scandal the
> leadership caused, _I_ am in the class? I'm sorry
> if you don't understand why the "good guys" would
> be irritated by that.


Oh, I get that it is frustrating that this was caused by the leadership, etc. and that it was far away. I guess maybe I worded it wrong - it's more that I think the class is good because I think too many people follow the leadership of the church blindly and don't pay attention to the signs of abuse. And I have never understood when I hear about some of the cases that came out where parents were allowing priests to spend time in their kids bedrooms at night saying good night, etc. etc. WTF?? Our family had several priest friends over the years, ones who Baptized, performed marriages and then funerals for my siblings and parents, but never once did they ever ask to "say good night" to us, and if they did my parents would not have allowed it! So I guess my thought process was more that the Virtus training was just one more thing you could do to protect your kids by breaking down that idea that priests are above others and somehow need to be trusted no matter what. Maybe that's the problem -- those of us with common sense probably thought they did not learn much from the course, but seems like there are definitely some people who needed it so they could get out of that "La La Land" they were living in where everyone is safe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Brother Gadfile ()
Date: April 19, 2012 02:06PM

Some time ago, I was with a group that was starting to get involved as volunteers with a large Presbyterian Church in Vienna (not too many of those, if you're trying to guess).

A church official treated us as if we were all mouth-breathing pedophiles. This church had been recently involved in a long-time scandal where a "youth-leader" was banging high-school girls, using the Bible (gasp) as the argument that these young girls should have sex with him. When the girls--or their parents-- complained, the girls were accused of being stalkers who had a "crush" on this (married with a family) piece of shit. It wasn't unti the Washington Post broke the story that the churched actually claimed to be "addressing the problem."

At our meeting I asked if church ministers officials were given the same rigorous scrutiny and assumption of guilt that we were...the topic was adamently not to be discussed...and I decided to take my volunteer time and energy elsewhere

What's that they say about the fox guarding the henhouse?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: former altar boy ()
Date: April 19, 2012 02:39PM

Brother Gadfile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some time ago, I was with a group that was
> starting to get involved as volunteers with a
> large Presbyterian Church in Vienna (not too many
> of those, if you're trying to guess).
>
> A church official treated us as if we were all
> mouth-breathing pedophiles. This church had been
> recently involved in a long-time scandal where a
> "youth-leader" was banging high-school girls,
> using the Bible (gasp) as the argument that these
> young girls should have sex with him. When the
> girls--or their parents-- complained, the girls
> were accused of being stalkers who had a "crush"
> on this (married with a family) piece of shit. It
> wasn't unti the Washington Post broke the story
> that the churched actually claimed to be
> "addressing the problem."
>
> At our meeting I asked if church ministers
> officials were given the same rigorous scrutiny
> and assumption of guilt that we were...the topic
> was adamently not to be discussed...and I decided
> to take my volunteer time and energy elsewhere
>
> What's that they say about the fox guarding the
> henhouse?


although I was abused as a kid at holy spirit I chose not to push the issue as the prest that abused me is long dead. It has always amazed me how all the churchgoers ramp up to full denial mode at the mere mention of the abuse.
The physical abuse was nothing compared to what the mental distress that I suffered for decades

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Don't eat that candy! ()
Date: April 19, 2012 04:14PM

former altar boy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brother Gadfile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Some time ago, I was with a group that was
> > starting to get involved as volunteers with a
> > large Presbyterian Church in Vienna (not too
> many
> > of those, if you're trying to guess).
> >
> > A church official treated us as if we were all
> > mouth-breathing pedophiles. This church had
> been
> > recently involved in a long-time scandal where
> a
> > "youth-leader" was banging high-school girls,
> > using the Bible (gasp) as the argument that
> these
> > young girls should have sex with him. When the
> > girls--or their parents-- complained, the girls
> > were accused of being stalkers who had a
> "crush"
> > on this (married with a family) piece of shit.
> It
> > wasn't unti the Washington Post broke the story
> > that the churched actually claimed to be
> > "addressing the problem."
> >
> > At our meeting I asked if church ministers
> > officials were given the same rigorous scrutiny
> > and assumption of guilt that we were...the
> topic
> > was adamently not to be discussed...and I
> decided
> > to take my volunteer time and energy elsewhere
>
> >
> > What's that they say about the fox guarding the
> > henhouse?
>
>
> although I was abused as a kid at holy spirit I
> chose not to push the issue as the prest that
> abused me is long dead. It has always amazed me
> how all the churchgoers ramp up to full denial
> mode at the mere mention of the abuse.
> The physical abuse was nothing compared to what
> the mental distress that I suffered for decades

You fell for the trap...
Attachments:
Soldier_Trap.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: life's mysteries ()
Date: April 19, 2012 11:35PM

Can anyone tell me why every pervert who has ever lived has at one point traipsed through the halls of Paul VI High School???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: uhhuh ()
Date: April 19, 2012 11:58PM

...Yes, and they've found a 'safe' forum here at FFXU to get back at Paul VI and the administration for being expelled... still feeling pretty insecure aren't they! Pretty obvious that throwing stones and gossiping is much more fun than taking a good look at oneself and admit they've been fucking up their life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FUCKING CLASSIC, meoi!!
Posted by: McGruff - The Crime Dog! ()
Date: April 20, 2012 06:34AM

Here's the article on this from the Fairfax Times...

Annandale priest under investigation of sex with minor
Investigation began in February, say police
by Gregg MacDonald, Staff Writer
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20120419/NEWS/704199724/1117/annandale-priest-under-investigation-of-sex-with-minor&template=fairfaxTimes

An Annandale priest of the Diocese of Arlington who from 2004 to 2011 was in charge of the diocese’s Office of Child and Youth Protection was placed on administrative leave Wednesday pending the outcome of an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct involving a male minor in the late 1990s.

According to the diocese, the investigation is in its initial phase, and no final determination has yet been made regarding the allegation. “The Fairfax County Police Department was notified when the diocese received the allegation, and the diocese is cooperating fully with law enforcement,” the diocese said in a statement Wednesday.

Fairfax County police spoksesperson Luc y Caldwell said the Rev. Terry Specht of Annandale has been under investigation since February, but that no charges have been filed against him.

“Rev. Specht denies the accusation,” the Diocese said in its Wednesday statement. “The Diocese of Arlington has received no other allegations of misconduct against Rev. Specht. Like all priests, diocesan employees and volunteers who work with children, he underwent an official background check early in his tenure.”

According to the diocese, Specht served as a parochial vicar at St. Mary of Sorrows Church in Fairfax from 1996 to 2000, as chaplain and assistant principal at Paul VI Catholic High School in Fairfax from 2000 to 2004, as the Director of the diocesan Office of Child Protection and Safety from 2004 to 2011, and as administrator and pastor of Holy Spirit Church in Annandale since 2007.

Holy Spirit Church officials have denied comment on the case, but according to the church website, Specht attended St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., the University of the State of New York, and the University of Hawaii. Following retirement from the U.S. Navy he attended Mount St. Mary Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md. His first assignment as a priest was at St. Mary of Sorrows parish in Fairfax Station.

“Any allegation of abuse deepens the pain felt by all Catholics, and particularly survivors of abuse. We are committed to full cooperation with law enforcement regarding this allegation, and I have directed an independent investigator to review the actions and decisions made by Father Specht during his tenure as Director of Child Protection,” said Catholic Bishop Paul S. Loverde in a statement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Carolyn ()
Date: April 20, 2012 09:45AM

Why is it that everyone thinks that priests are sexually active if they are homosexual rather than heterosexual? It doesn't matter what your proclivity, if you are a Catholic priest, you abstain. Father Specht is an outstanding person and priest and deserves to have his 'day in court' without being vilified. He is one priest you would never, ever think could do this type of thing. He has worked very hard to make the diocese of Arlington a safe place for children. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and wait to see how this pans out. Pray for the accuser and Father Specht.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Concerned Catholic ()
Date: April 20, 2012 10:01AM

Any parent that encourages their children to be active participants in the Church, whether it be as alter servers or youth group, should teach their kids about what kinds of things are acceptable or not acceptable. Then contact the police and not the church if anything questionable happens. This (potential) victim of Fr Specht was proabably afraid to talk to his parents and let this go for more than 10 years. This could have been resolved long ago if the lines of communication would have been open. I realize it was a different time in the '90s, but parents should still have communicator with their children about any potential preditors, whether it be priests or teachers or neighbors or family friends or relatives. I agree that Fr Specht doesn't seem like the 'type' of person to do this act, but we have to protect (potential) victim first. Sad day for all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Nova86 ()
Date: April 20, 2012 10:57AM

Thanks for posting this! I work with priests quite often and Ive known Fr. Specht since i was in high school, gone to his parish, and worked with him for almost 10 years. He has always been incredibly kind, honest, and incredible role model. My heart goes out to all people involved, truly, but I choose to believe he is an innocent man until proven otherwise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: April 20, 2012 11:15AM

Nova86 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I choose to believe he is an innocent man until
> proven otherwise.

Good to see there are at least some people who remember that little aspect of the American justice system.

As I have posted in many threads in the past, I don't believe an accused of this crime should be publicly named until a conviction because the accusation of an innocent person is life-ruining. We have seen that a couple of times locally in the Fairfax County school system. If the police want more info and more victims, release the name after the conviction so those other victims can come forward and the accused can be tried for those allegations.

If the accused are guilty they will be convicted. I see no reason at all why accused are given less identity protection in these cases than the accusers prior to a conviction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Church go-er ()
Date: April 20, 2012 12:00PM

It's interesting that in this case we haven't heard a thing about the victim (age, what occured, why he is only coming forward now, etc.). If this did happen, then I am sorry for the victim and sorry for Fr Specht. He has had an outstanding career, but that is gone forever, even if nothing comes of this case. It's a shame that in these situations the priests are, indeed, guilty until proven innocent, because the church can't take any risk once this type of crime has been brought to light. I am sorry for the whole thing. Where does someone like Fr Specht go when they are put on administrative leave? The Church is his enitre life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: anonymous12 ()
Date: April 20, 2012 02:21PM

I can't believe how people are guilty until proven innocent these days, especially if you are a Catholic priest! Sister Christian, your posts really are nauseating and repulsive! You have no idea what you are talking about! Saying you should limit or prevent your child's contact with a priest is absurd! You obviously don't know the facts about child abuse and how nearly half of all cases of child sexual abuse is by another family member! Maybe you should keep your children away from your family or even your spouse! How about the countless Protestant ministers who are MARRIED and still abuse children (at a higher rate than Catholic priest I might add), but we don't hear anything because they are not Catholic priests! What about the Rabbi's and muslims who abuse children (legally in some countries like Afghanistan) but we never hear a peep!!! How about the teachers and pediatricians (who have the highest rates of abuse) who are in positions of trust, but you don't suggest people keep their children out of school or away from doctors?? Of all these lifestyles, only Catholic priests are celibate, all the others marry and still abuse children. That means 99% of abuse cases are NOT PRIESTS!! Marriage is not a cure for child abuse! People are throwing Father Specht under the bus and there hasn't been any arrest or formal charges brought against him. If you can dial a phone number, you can ruin a priest's life and it is just absurd and sad. Priests who are falsely accused of this horrendous crime truly are a new type of martyr. If Father Specht is guilty of this crime, then blame Fr. Specht and not the Catholic Church or the priesthood!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: You've been duped ()
Date: April 20, 2012 02:53PM

Karma's a bitch...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: A Henneberry ()
Date: April 20, 2012 02:58PM

Father Specht is innocent:

"The Diocese of Arlington (Virginia) is known as one of the more conservative dioceses in the country. So it is a good fit for Father Terry Specht, a highly visible priest who is not afraid to promote conservative and traditionalist views. But Father Specht is no Luddite. He maintains a popular Twitter account on which he posts and comments on important issues to his followers and the Catholic faith, most particularly the dangers of President Obama and need to oppose homosexual rights activists.


christian forums

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest accused of you know what
Posted by: pvi grad ()
Date: April 20, 2012 04:49PM

Seriously-what is up with PVI? There have been more nasty scandals there then I can count.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Pedo Alert ()
Date: April 20, 2012 04:52PM

Lock up your altar boys, cancel your cake walks!
Attachments:
gallery-103125481-500x500.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Pedo Care Bear ()
Date: April 20, 2012 09:24PM

I can't believe how people are guilty until proven innocent these days, especially if you are a Catholic priest! Sister Christian, your posts really are nauseating and repulsive! You have no idea what you are talking about! Saying you should limit or prevent your child's contact with a priest is absurd! You obviously don't know the facts about child abuse and how nearly half of all cases of child sexual abuse is by another family member! Maybe you should keep your children away from your family or even your spouse! How about the countless Protestant ministers who are MARRIED and still abuse children (at a higher rate than Catholic priest I might add), but we don't hear anything because they are not Catholic priests! What about the Rabbi's and muslims who abuse children (legally in some countries like Afghanistan) but we never hear a peep!!! How about the teachers and pediatricians (who have the highest rates of abuse) who are in positions of trust, but you don't suggest people keep their children out of school or away from doctors?? Of all these lifestyles, only Catholic priests are celibate, all the others marry and still abuse children. That means 99% of abuse cases are NOT PRIESTS!! Marriage is not a cure for child abuse! People are throwing Father Specht under the bus and there hasn't been any arrest or formal charges brought against him. If you can dial a phone number, you can ruin a priest's life and it is just absurd and sad. Priests who are falsely accused of this horrendous crime truly are a new type of martyr. If Father Specht is guilty of this crime, then blame Fr. Specht and not the Catholic Church or the priesthood!


Wow, you sure swallowed the Vatican party line, hook and sinker... You're right, there's no history of priests sexually abusing children under their care; it's a plot by...not sure who...to discredit the Catholic Church?...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Everyone settle down ()
Date: April 21, 2012 01:12AM

Let's wait to see how this pans out. Those of us that know Fr. Specht are almost 100% positive of his innocence. This is so contrary to who Fr. Specht is and what he stands for. It is right to place him on leave until the issue is resolved, but it is not right to defame him until his guilt has been proven. I am sorry for the accuser. I can't imagine how horrible it must be to be violated by someone you trust and respect. Let's pray that Fr. Specht is not the monster to which he is being compared. Pray for the parties involved, and start respecting other opinions. Can't we all just get along?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: St. Conservative ()
Date: April 21, 2012 09:15AM

Everyone settle down Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's wait to see how this pans out. Those of us
> that know Fr. Specht are almost 100% positive of
> his innocence. This is so contrary to who Fr.
> Specht is and what he stands for. It is right to
> place him on leave until the issue is resolved,
> but it is not right to defame him until his guilt
> has been proven. I am sorry for the accuser. I
> can't imagine how horrible it must be to be
> violated by someone you trust and respect. Let's
> pray that Fr. Specht is not the monster to which
> he is being compared. Pray for the parties
> involved, and start respecting other opinions.
> Can't we all just get along?

Yes, let's just let this guy touch more kids and let him get away with it. NOT!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: holy water ()
Date: April 21, 2012 09:50AM

Everyone settle down Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's wait to see how this pans out. Those of us
> that know Fr. Specht are almost 100% positive of
> his innocence. This is so contrary to who Fr.
> Specht is and what he stands for. It is right to
> place him on leave until the issue is resolved,
> but it is not right to defame him until his guilt
> has been proven. I am sorry for the accuser. I
> can't imagine how horrible it must be to be
> violated by someone you trust and respect. Let's
> pray that Fr. Specht is not the monster to which
> he is being compared. Pray for the parties
> involved, and start respecting other opinions.
> Can't we all just get along?

We will never know for sure. The priest that abused me as a child would never have been suspected by anyone around him. The ritual of child abuse is a very old and very secret one in the catholic church. The worst thing about it was the fact that he convinced me that the whole thing was my fault. I was under the impression that if I revealed the details of our little sessions that I would be taken away from my family and would burn in hell for all eternity. That is quite a load of guilt and fear for an 8 year old boy to have hanging over his head.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: April 21, 2012 02:41PM

Pedo Care Bear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, you sure swallowed the Vatican party line,
> hook and sinker... You're right, there's no
> history of priests sexually abusing children under
> their care; it's a plot by...not sure who...to
> discredit the Catholic Church?...

That's stupid. It is a logical fallacy to believe that because other priests were guilty that this particular one isn't entitled to due process.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Pedo Care Bear ()
Date: April 21, 2012 02:47PM

OK, Clarence Darrow, Who said he wasn't entitled to due process?

And lets throw out the poster's straw man of "Protestant Married ministers" who abuse children...that has nothing to do with the case at hand, and is a canard devout believers use to draw attention to the problem within their own church

Don't use the term "logical fallacy" unless you know what it really means...

God bless you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Was In Coopers Band ()
Date: April 21, 2012 07:45PM

former altar boy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brother Gadfile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Some time ago, I was with a group that was
> > starting to get involved as volunteers with a
> > large Presbyterian Church in Vienna (not too
> many
> > of those, if you're trying to guess).
> >
> > A church official treated us as if we were all
> > mouth-breathing pedophiles. This church had
> been
> > recently involved in a long-time scandal where
> a
> > "youth-leader" was banging high-school girls,
> > using the Bible (gasp) as the argument that
> these
> > young girls should have sex with him. When the
> > girls--or their parents-- complained, the girls
> > were accused of being stalkers who had a
> "crush"
> > on this (married with a family) piece of shit.
> It
> > wasn't unti the Washington Post broke the story
> > that the churched actually claimed to be
> > "addressing the problem."
> >
> > At our meeting I asked if church ministers
> > officials were given the same rigorous scrutiny
> > and assumption of guilt that we were...the
> topic
> > was adamently not to be discussed...and I
> decided
> > to take my volunteer time and energy elsewhere
>
> >
> > What's that they say about the fox guarding the
> > henhouse?
>
>
> although I was abused as a kid at holy spirit I
> chose not to push the issue as the prest that
> abused me is long dead. It has always amazed me
> how all the churchgoers ramp up to full denial
> mode at the mere mention of the abuse.
> The physical abuse was nothing compared to what
> the mental distress that I suffered for decades

I too was abused at Holy Spirit during 1974 and 1975 when I was in 5th grade. I know of a 6th grader and 4th grader that were abused also. I feel like I want to tell my story but it’s been a long hard road and I’m not sure I have the strength to go through it. Whoever is coming forward with this is a much stronger man that I.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: One Googleplex of Hail Marys ()
Date: April 21, 2012 08:16PM

It's raining right now...you know what rain is?

Rain is God's tears because he's sad that pedophile Catholic priests are buggering innocent children.

It's raining everywhere!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: SNAP Network ()
Date: April 21, 2012 08:32PM

To all the abuse survivors:

http://www.snapnetwork.org/ I strongly recommend that you look into the local SNAP chapter. If you need help they can find it, and if you need support they will give it to you. They will not pressure/force you to come forward because that is the sort of thing that abusers do. This is an amazing network doing much good.

http://www.snapnetwork.org/virginia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: holy water ()
Date: April 21, 2012 08:50PM

SNAP Network Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To all the abuse survivors:
>
> http://www.snapnetwork.org/ I strongly recommend
> that you look into the local SNAP chapter. If you
> need help they can find it, and if you need
> support they will give it to you. They will not
> pressure/force you to come forward because that is
> the sort of thing that abusers do. This is an
> amazing network doing much good.
>
> http://www.snapnetwork.org/virginia


+1 they helped me lots!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: a. bunker ()
Date: April 21, 2012 09:40PM

nothing but fools..who thinks that a man who takes a vow not to have sex is sane?
What a fucking joke. this so called man of god is a fucking pedophile.
you are all fucking idiots. please die.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: So sad ()
Date: April 21, 2012 10:16PM

I agree with 'Concerned Catholic' that parents need to be more proactive when allowing their children to participate in activities with 'adults', regardless of whether it is with priests or teachers or family friends or even strangers. Children need to be told that nothing will happen to them or their families if they 'tell' about any abuse or bullying. Parents, please keep your children safe. I also know Father Specht and don't think that he could do this act, but what does someone have to gain by coming forward if it wasn't true? It's a sad, sad world with a lot of suffering and pain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Mike Dilfner ()
Date: April 21, 2012 11:17PM

Yeah, I agree with the alter boy. I was also a alter boy for St. Mary's. He is definitely not a homo, molester as of now for me. I also knew him when he was at Paul the Sixth. I hated his guts cause he didn't take bullshit (I was a druggy outcast). He once told my mom, "I think he is possessed." Funny as fuck when she tried to perform an exercism on me! Anyways, I could see someone saying this to spite him. Alot of kids at PVI are drunken, druggy lunatics who you probably shouldn't trust....LOL I also was there when Santorum was found to be gay....I also had an elementary teacher who grew Pot...Mr. Marsh...and I had a teacher have sex with a girl up in Maine...but I don't think that made the papers...lord I've had a glorious educational experience!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: ribs ()
Date: April 21, 2012 11:36PM

I cant stand faggots

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: taggard ()
Date: April 22, 2012 01:03AM

ribs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cant stand faggots


than don't go to church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Billy Jack ()
Date: April 22, 2012 07:15AM

Until the Catholic church allows it's priests to have sex, homo's will continue to join the priesthood and try to repress their homosexuality. So what happens? They beat off for a few years, then they can't take it anymore and they start screwing the kids. If the church would allow the priests to have sex,at least most of them would have sex with adults. Wake up!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: holy water ()
Date: April 22, 2012 08:11AM

Billy Jack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Until the Catholic church allows it's priests to
> have sex, homo's will continue to join the
> priesthood and try to repress their homosexuality.
> So what happens? They beat off for a few years,
> then they can't take it anymore and they start
> screwing the kids. If the church would allow the
> priests to have sex,at least most of them would
> have sex with adults. Wake up!

Homo's generally do not seek the priesthood, they are homegrown in their churches. It is an ancient cycle where victim grows up and takes over as the abuser.

I agree with the rest of this statement as do many current and former catholics. But the cycle of child abuse will take a couple of generations to work itself out of the system. Even now there are thousands of young boys around the world that are "in training" to be the next abuser. In my case I was able to break the cycle but lots of boys wont be so lucky.

I see Specht is already on the list in Virginia he brings our statewide total up to 22. Of course there are many more out there that have not been called out.

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/member/psearch.jsp

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Concerned Mom ()
Date: April 22, 2012 11:45PM

I was a parishioner of St. Mary's when Fr. Specht was there. I was shocked to learn about this. My memories of him were not positive, but that doesn't make him a pedophile. It's interesting to read the impressions from folks who say they knew him and had positive experiences of him.

Unfortunately, I found him to be arrogant and rude. You could say "Hello, Father" and look right at him, and he'd ignore you. He walked around with a scowl on his face a lot of the time. I found it very hurtful to be around him. In terms of demeanor, he was as far from being priest-like in terms of kindness and Christian charity and just ordinary politeness. AFter a while, I just avoided him, and finally came to the conclusion that maybe he was like this around women, because back in the sacristy he'd joke around with the altar boys and was a lot more jovial. Frankly, I was glad when he left.

When I first heard of this, I wondered if he got on someone's bad side, and this accusation was made out of spite. But if so, why wait 15 years to make the accusation, and why would someone, if he was pretending, expose himself to the ordeal of questions, interviews, etc? But if this person - now a mid-twenty-something, I'm assuming - has actually been victimized by Fr. Specht, perhaps it took a lot of therapy and personal maturity to finally face this.

All I can do is pray - for a man I never liked, and for an accuser I never knew.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: King Size ()
Date: April 22, 2012 11:56PM

Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: still sore ()
Date: April 23, 2012 08:45AM

King Size Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?


the Catholic church is a criminal orginaztion. and should be shut down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: bunnygirl ()
Date: April 23, 2012 07:46PM

I truly don't know what to think. I want to think that he is innocent, but I too have seen him scowl at women and be rude. Meanwhile, he has seemed kind to the children in the church. But only God knows the truth-- and a piece of me wonders if someone who is an Obama supporter sabotaged the man. Fr. Specht frequently wrote nastygrams on twitter about Obama. I could see the current administration framing someone who got too public in their views against the current regime.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Behold ()
Date: April 23, 2012 08:49PM

I truly don't know what to think. I want to think that he is innocent, but I too have seen him scowl at women and be rude. Meanwhile, he has seemed kind to the children in the church. But only God knows the truth-- and a piece of me wonders if someone who is an Obama supporter sabotaged the man. Fr. Specht frequently wrote nastygrams on twitter about Obama. I could see the current administration framing someone who got too public in their views against the current regime


Do you wear a tinfoil hat when you type this nonsense?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Disclaimers ()
Date: April 24, 2012 12:23AM

I am Barack Obama and I approved this message.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: not sooo fast there ()
Date: April 24, 2012 08:58AM

Pedo Care Bear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, Clarence Darrow, Who said he wasn't entitled
> to due process?
>
> And lets throw out the poster's straw man of
> "Protestant Married ministers" who abuse
> children...that has nothing to do with the case at
> hand, and is a canard devout believers use to draw
> attention to the problem within their own church
>
> Don't use the term "logical fallacy" unless you
> know what it really means...
>
> God bless you


Poster:

The "Clarence Darrow" you referred to above did in fact use the term logical fallacy correctly.

There is, of course, more than one logical fallacy available, other than the straw man that you cite.

Specifically, his argument is using an "Association Fallacy", which is:

A is a B
A is also a C
Therefore, all B's are C's.

In this case, this fallacy would be saying Joe is a priest. Joe is also a molestor. Therefore, all priests are molesters (and this conclusion can be reached w/o due process).

So, Clarence Darrow is pointing this argument to those posters (and others, possibly) that might seem to have possibly concluded that this priest in question is in fact guilty before a trial or other process allowed for under due process has found him to be guilty, simply because other priests have been in fact guilty of the same charge in the past.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: April 24, 2012 10:01AM

What he (or she) said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 24, 2012 10:08AM

hope you paying attention to the above post, Pedo - cause "not sooo" is right on the money, there. Kinda funny................

@Behold - I know, right? I'm like "......Obama? o_0"

@bunny - yeah.......cause the sitting POTUS is just like Richard Nixon, is that what you are thinking?

@still sore - I'd make a "are you still butthurt" joke, but it's really not funny.........

@concerned - if your post is serious, then you are a good woman.

Options: ReplyQuote
I've done this before on another thread, I think
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 24, 2012 10:09AM

@ the ppl who equate pedos with gays - I can prove to you that it's two different things. Pedopriests arent gay, they just got something about little boys. I used to think the same way til someone woke me up to the fact that you never see flamers in the news when these pedo-stories (boy or girl, for that matter) come out. It's always these pillar-of-the community types or ppl close to the fam someway. Never like some group of gay guys. Show me a link if I'm wrong but I know I've never actually heard in my lifetime of gays attacking kids. But that's besides the point cause here's........
THE PROOF : It's pretty easy to figure out why a real gay man wouldnt want to fuck a little boy - look at your hand and mke a fist. Now point out your pointer finger. Now look at it for about 10 seconds (pointer finger). Now make a fist again. Then stick out your whole arm, straight out. Then take a look at THAT for about 10 seconds.

And that right there is why gay guys wouldnt want to have sex a little boy.
Q.E.D.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Crazy, Man! ()
Date: April 24, 2012 10:29AM

Am I in Bizarro World? I'm agreeing with GordonBlvd AGAIN!

Not that I agree with your closed-fist, open-fist thing, but by far, pedophiles are not GAY! Most pedophiles are heterosexual. If anything pedophiles, are equal opportunity molestors of children, but that's it...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Also a survivor ()
Date: April 24, 2012 10:35AM

I'm also a survivor. I had no desire to be grilled by the Arlington Diocese lawyers, and didn't trust their Victim Assistance program. The perp in my case was a religious order priest, so I contacted their head guy in another state & learned that the perp was already busted & kicked out for messing with adults. They offered couseling - I declined, had already had the course on my own dime. I really didn't want their 30 pieces of silver.

As for Specht, let the process take its course, although there really is no coming back now even for a priest who is exonerated. Once accused, it's really all over. The guilty deserve it, the innocent pay the price for the sins of the Catholic system, and the Bishops get off scot-free. They all know what they're in for these days.

As for the conspiracy theories, I think they are nonsense. However, his public pronouncements may have really irritated the alleged victim & sparked him to make the report. There really is nothing quite as sickening for the survivor as to see others put the perp on a pedestal, while cheering at his every word. Remember, Holy Spirit is just down the road from St. Marys and sends many kids to Paul IV. The accuser may still live in the neighborhood.

As to the delay in reporting, I was 13 & waited until I was in my forties. Two reasons: all the media coverage between 2002 - 2004 really brought it all painfully back, so I chose to act, and both my parents were by then deceased. As a parent myself, I knew how devastated they would have been to learn that I'd been victimized, so I kept my trap shut for decades.

This is such a cesspool that only God can sort it out. Prayers for all involved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Sideburn ()
Date: April 24, 2012 03:15PM

Any word on where this supposedly happened? At the church or at the high school?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: lil confused ()
Date: April 24, 2012 04:10PM

Also a survivor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm also a survivor. I had no desire to be grilled
> by the Arlington Diocese lawyers, and didn't trust
> their Victim Assistance program. The perp in my
> case was a religious order priest, so I contacted
> their head guy in another state & learned that the
> perp was already busted & kicked out for messing
> with adults. They offered couseling - I declined,
> had already had the course on my own dime. I
> really didn't want their 30 pieces of silver.
>
> As for Specht, let the process take its course,
> although there really is no coming back now even
> for a priest who is exonerated. Once accused,
> it's really all over. The guilty deserve it, the
> innocent pay the price for the sins of the
> Catholic system, and the Bishops get off
> scot-free. They all know what they're in for
> these days.
>
> As for the conspiracy theories, I think they are
> nonsense. However, his public pronouncements may
> have really irritated the alleged victim & sparked
> him to make the report. There really is nothing
> quite as sickening for the survivor as to see
> others put the perp on a pedestal, while cheering
> at his every word. Remember, Holy Spirit is just
> down the road from St. Marys and sends many kids
> to Paul IV. The accuser may still live in the
> neighborhood.
>
> As to the delay in reporting, I was 13 & waited
> until I was in my forties. Two reasons: all the
> media coverage between 2002 - 2004 really brought
> it all painfully back, so I chose to act, and both
> my parents were by then deceased. As a parent
> myself, I knew how devastated they would have been
> to learn that I'd been victimized, so I kept my
> trap shut for decades.
>
> This is such a cesspool that only God can sort it
> out. Prayers for all involved.


Hey, survivor, sorry for what you went through, and this comment/question is not directed at that.

However, as a Catholic school graduate, I do still get confused when a tragedy happens (such as the allegations herein) and somebody says something like "pray for those involved"...if god is all powerful, why did he let something like this happen in the first place? And then why does it matter if PEOPLE pray...that seems to suggest the alternative, that if people don't pray, then good things won't happen for the "victim" of (insert tragedy here). Sort of like a popularity contest. Seems f'in weird to me. Some of the better people I have known, the most honest people, were quiet people, and probably couldn't get alot of people to pray for them if something bad happened to 'em (even if they wanted to)...however, I've known some real greaseballs that go to church, and make a big deal about it, and if something bad happened to 'em, the priest says let's all pray for so and so...so does the greaseball get cut a break? Pretty back ass, if you ask me.

Specific to your request, if you didn't ask people to pray for the victims, and nobody did, does that mean they will continue to suffer? Alternatively, if enough people pray for them, what happens? Money from heaven? Turn back time? What?

The parents of that model who walked into the propeller of a plane and got her arm cut off were prattling on and on about how their prayers were answered for a speedy recovery, etc...what they didn't say, though, is that they "prayed" for her arm to grow back, because, of course, taht wasn't gonna happen. Also, weren't they thinking in the back of their heads, why did god allow this to happen in the first place, just so he could half-way fix it later, minus the arm, if enough people prayed? Seems real f-ed up to me.


Not a sermon...just a question.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: uhhuh ()
Date: April 24, 2012 04:24PM

Hey lil confused,
You're right. You're confused. But don't pretend to be a Catholic School grad and then spell God lowercase!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: lil confused ()
Date: April 24, 2012 04:33PM

uhhuh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey lil confused,
> You're right. You're confused. But don't pretend
> to be a Catholic School grad and then spell God
> lowercase!


Thanks. god.

Do you have any cogent answers or thoughts to my queries?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Also a survivor ()
Date: April 24, 2012 04:37PM

@ lil confused

Oh, my (poorly phrased) mention of "prayers for all involved" wasn't a request, it was more a statement that I am praying for all involved, because this crap hurts everyone it touches. As to how prayer helps, there's all that messy theological stuff about God's perfect will vs. God's permissive will that I don't feel competent to explain. I think the questions you pose are important, but also that each individual has to come to his/her own set of answers to them. Personally, praying helps me, whether or not it has an effect on events or other persons.

It was more my intention to comment on things such as "why wait so long to report," was Specht in some way targeted by the "current administration (unclear to me whether that poster meant Obama's or Loverde's administration) and to give some insight as to what it's like to have this happen to you and then spend years watching the perp do the "pillar of the community" routine. Getting fed up with that could lead a person to report after years of silence. After all, it wears on a person to carry this around silently for a long time.

I offer no conclusion as to the validity of the accusation, btw. A big part of the problem with the whole mess is that, because of the nature of the accusation, proof of guilt or innocence is almost never available. Therefore nothing is ever really settled for either party.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: uhhuh ()
Date: April 24, 2012 04:43PM

Is this an honest question or just smart-ass banter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Also a survivor ()
Date: April 24, 2012 04:46PM

@uhhuh

Which question and who's being a smartass?
Now I'm confused

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: lil confused ()
Date: April 24, 2012 04:59PM

uhhuh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this an honest question or just smart-ass
> banter?


Didn't see too much in my original post to suggest smart-ass banter. Just a few real questions. I did in fact graduate from catholic high school, and subsequently graduated from a top tier university, if that helps to establish (in your mind) credibility.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Also a survivor ()
Date: April 24, 2012 06:06PM

@ lil confused

I didn't think it was smartass. I hope you find your answers. Sorry we were rudely interrupted :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: still lil confused ()
Date: April 24, 2012 11:47PM

Hey, Also a Survivor...again, sorry for your troubles.

And just for clarification, fwiw...I'm not asking those questions from an "existential, gee, what's it all about" point of view. Not at all. Not searching in that way. Looking for logical responses.

I am really curious as to how somebody might answer those questions. In other words, I don't know how praying for someone's troubles is "supposed" to work. If god gets enough prayers, does he help? If he doesn't get enough prayers, or they are wrong, or from the wrong people, does he decide not to help?

If the answer is something like no, he'll help out when and where he deems it appropriate regardless of who prays, then why waste time praying? And why thank god for answering prayers?

Why did he allow the injury/injustice to happen in the first place? Especially if he was going to partially "fix it" later...as an example, New Orleans is still a sh**hole in many areas, yet I saw some poor person who still didn't have a house, and all their possessions were gonzo...praising god that their life was spared...but other parts of Nola are now repaired...so god really f'ed up this guys house, and then partially restored it, while fully restoring others (others with, ahem, money)....don't get it.

Why didn't those god-happy people pray for their daughter to grow her arm back, yet they were thankful that god answered their prayers for a quick recovery? The same god that allowed her to have her arm ripped off by a propeller? If there was somebody that totaled your car, and then gave you new tires as compensation, would you say, oh gee, thanks! F no!!! You'd say get me new freakin car! Why don't people do that with someone who is "all powerful"? After all, if one is all powerful, they should be able to grow a new arm back for someone, right? Why not say, all powerful one...grow my daughter a new arm!!! You allowed it to be ripped off!!!

That is it. Very specific. Not searching.

Best of luck to you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: perspective ()
Date: April 25, 2012 08:43AM

In prior threads on abuse years ago, someone posted that he was abused at Holy Spirit by a now-deceased priest. I contributed to calling BS on it but there are enough people here discussing it that I believe them. I assume this priest was the pastor at the time through the 1970's but if I am wrong please correct me. The pastor was a friend of my family's until he left in 1981, so if I have the wrong guy in mind I'd really like to know it. I was a bit younger than these victims seemed to be at the time, and I have no recollection of being uncomfortable around him, certainly not being touched or molested. That was the basis for my disbelief... it wasn't my experience or what I observed of this man.

So if I contributed to anyone's suffering by not believing a true story, with this post I publicly apologize to that person (or people). I am sorry that happened to you as I may have been in danger had I been just a few years older.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: holy water ()
Date: April 26, 2012 04:50PM

I was told that this was an actual window at a church in Canada. I'm sure it was built with the best of intentions by an artist with a clean mind and soul but WTH! (H is for Heck, I dont like to cuss)
Attachments:
stained-glass-22700250429.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Elizabeth ()
Date: April 30, 2012 10:00AM

This is very unfortunate but like someone said earlier, it is usually the ones like this who commit the abuse. WE all think, oh no he is too nice, and he is a man;s man, but that is all a cover up most times, if indeed they overstep the line.The truth will come out soon either way, and let us pray it is not true for, and if it is, well proper action.

The church is doign the right thing by investigating the allegations and placing him on leave.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: rectory rat ()
Date: May 04, 2012 02:26PM

Elizabeth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is very unfortunate but like someone said
> earlier, it is usually the ones like this who
> commit the abuse. WE all think, oh no he is too
> nice, and he is a man;s man, but that is all a
> cover up most times, if indeed they overstep the
> line.The truth will come out soon either way, and
> let us pray it is not true for, and if it is, well
> proper action.
>
> The church is doign the right thing by
> investigating the allegations and placing him on
> leave.

I do not understand why people seem shocked when they hear about priest rape. It is a tradition that goes back at least a thousand years in the Catholic church.
I believe that some priests dont play that game anymore but most do. The psychological grip that the abusive priests have on the kids is absolutely overwhelming.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: May 08, 2012 08:17AM

Several years ago, I was accused of a loathsome crime.

I absolutely did not do it.

For several months I was on edge.

Would I be charged and frog walked?

Let's see how this plays out.

Father Specht might have done what he is accused of doing.

He might not have done it, either.

The cops are fishing to see what they can learn from other potential "victims."

They really aren't concerned with the truth or the facts. They arelooking for a bust and to make that bust stick. Doesn't matter if he did it or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 08, 2012 10:00AM

@GMU - you know, a while back when I was accused of a loathsome crime I absolutely did not do, I was NOT on edge for several months!
You know why?
Cause I went to the cops when they asked to speak with me and told them everything that happened as truthfully as I could. VERY SCARY EXPERIENCE I ASSURE YOU!!!!!! But you know something? During that time, the only "on-edge" part of it was more my focus on clearing my name on the street about the whole thing. Something I was DAMN PROUD to do, and using truth and facts as my weapon, was able to do.

Which is what you do if yr innocent - WANT to clear yr effing name!! Have we heard much from the good Father?

p.s. - put victim in quotes again and Ill put that mouse so far up yr ass that the Father will be the only one who knows how to remove it.............unless you have facts to state that their accusations are false. I tell you this because not only do you demean them by doing that but you ALSO make the Church look shitty and uncaring about the issue as a whole. You reinforce the idea that Catholics could care less about priests molesting children is that the idea you want to propagate?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 10:03AM by Gordon Blvd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 08, 2012 10:23AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You reinforce the idea that Catholics could care less
> about priests


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Sgt. Hulka ()
Date: May 08, 2012 05:15PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @GMU - you know, a while back when I was accused
> of a loathsome crime I absolutely did not do, I
> was NOT on edge for several months!
> You know why?
> Cause I went to the cops when they asked to speak
> with me and told them everything that happened as
> truthfully as I could. VERY SCARY EXPERIENCE I
> ASSURE YOU!!!!!! But you know something? During
> that time, the only "on-edge" part of it was more
> my focus on clearing my name on the street about
> the whole thing. Something I was DAMN PROUD to
> do, and using truth and facts as my weapon, was
> able to do.
>
> Which is what you do if yr innocent - WANT to
> clear yr effing name!! Have we heard much from
> the good Father?
>
> p.s. - put victim in quotes again and Ill put that
> mouse so far up yr ass that the Father will be the
> only one who knows how to remove
> it.............unless you have facts to state that
> their accusations are false. I tell you this
> because not only do you demean them by doing that
> but you ALSO make the Church look shitty and
> uncaring about the issue as a whole. You
> reinforce the idea that Catholics could care less
> about priests molesting children is that the idea
> you want to propagate?


Settle down, Francis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Opus Dei ()
Date: May 08, 2012 07:54PM

"Ill put that mouse so far up yr ass that the Father will be the only one who knows how to remove it.............unless you have facts to state that their accusations are false. I tell you this because not only do you demean them by doing that but you ALSO make the Church look shitty and uncaring about the issue as a whole. You reinforce the idea that Catholics could care less about priests molesting children is that the idea you want to propagate?"




UM...OK...Gordon...you're getting a bit wound up here...on a previous thread you verbalized your fantasy of burning and hanging the charred corpse of a person from...was it a Rt66 overpass?

Now you want to put a computer mouse up someone's ass.

Are you a Catholic priest?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Stop the Presses! ()
Date: May 08, 2012 08:29PM

Wait...Gordon, you were accused of a "loathesome crime?"

This is getting interesting. What was it?

How'd you get off?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: ORCGUY ()
Date: May 08, 2012 09:38PM

What did the Preist say to the Alter Boy(s)?



Neil, Bob......it's not a sin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Dr. Bob ()
Date: May 09, 2012 10:19AM

C'mon GordonBlvd, what did you do? This might explain where all this unhinged anger comes from. It might be therapeutic for you to let it out

Spill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Johnny Cash ()
Date: May 09, 2012 05:23PM

GordonBlvd, Did you kill a man in Reno, just to watch him die?


Beat ya to it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Missy ()
Date: May 12, 2012 11:56PM

For the record, Father Specht has never been married. He became a Catholic in 1984 and was ordained in 1996. Does anyone have any ideas of where he is now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: CCD 4u2 ()
Date: May 13, 2012 07:14AM

Missy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the record, Father Specht has never been
> married. He became a Catholic in 1984 and was
> ordained in 1996. Does anyone have any ideas of
> where he is now?


He is staying at a parishioners home in seclusion.
Attachments:
pedo.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: father specht--know him for many years ()
Date: May 15, 2012 10:54PM

For all of you with all the wrong info on Father Specht...

Father Specht was married, worked for the Navy on Submarines, widowed with three kids, two sons and a daughter, youngest son was a bartender at one time, daughter is the middle child...became a priest, ordained in 1996...after wife passed away, he entered the seminary and became a priest...he is a convert to Catholicism...have known him for over ten years...many have suffered at the hands of horrible clergy, but Father Specht is not one of them! This man, coming forward with these accusations, may never know the reason for this, but the truth will come out--I pray for Father Specht and his "alleged" victim--please do not judge before all is revealed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Opus Dei The Vengence ()
Date: May 15, 2012 11:19PM

I'm afraid GordonBlvd has already tried and judged him. There is no appeal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: May 16, 2012 01:17AM

father specht--know him for many years Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For all of you with all the wrong info on Father
> Specht...
>
> Father Specht was married, worked for the Navy on
> Submarines, widowed with three kids, two sons and
> a daughter, youngest son was a bartender at one
> time, daughter is the middle child...became a
> priest, ordained in 1996...after wife passed away,
> he entered the seminary and became a priest...he
> is a convert to Catholicism...have known him for
> over ten years...many have suffered at the hands
> of horrible clergy, but Father Specht is not one
> of them! This man, coming forward with these
> accusations, may never know the reason for this,
> but the truth will come out--I pray for Father
> Specht and his "alleged" victim--please do not
> judge before all is revealed

I did not know he was a widower. Interesting. I'm still praying for him and the person who has accused him. And I pray the truth is what is acted on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Priest Accused of You Know What
Posted by: CATO ()
Date: May 17, 2012 12:57PM

I wish the police and the Diocese would get off their keister and declare the results of their investigation.

There is an old saying "Steal my goods you have nothing but steal my good name you have everything. Where does Fr Specht go to get his good name back?

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
  ******    ******    **    **  **     **   ******  
 **    **  **    **    **  **   **     **  **    ** 
 **        **           ****    **     **  **       
 **        **   ****     **     **     **  **       
 **        **    **      **      **   **   **       
 **    **  **    **      **       ** **    **    ** 
  ******    ******       **        ***      ******  
This forum powered by Phorum.