HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FAIRGRADE Parent Advocacy Group
Posted by: Valium ()
Date: April 11, 2008 10:56AM

Interesting information taken from an email I received.

Hi All,

Here is what I can tell you from my notes from the meeting at Langley High School last night regarding FCPS's grading scale:

The FAIRGRADE moms said their full presentation will be on their website soon. I was trying to copy graphs as much as possible because that contained the really striking information.

The most important points - many that I was unaware of - were:

In Fairfax County, NO extra points are given to kids' grade points for taking Honors classes. Only AP and IB classes get an extra .5 point. In Montgomery County, and nationwide in similiar counties with similar school systems, Honors and AP/IB classes are given extra points. Most of these districts give an extra 1.0 point as compared to FCPS .5 point.

They offered up this fact from their research: For McLean high schools last year (2007 graduating class), only 3% of the students received "weighted" gradepoints - meaning additional points added to their gradepoint for taking AP classes. Remember - they receive nothing for taking Honors classes in FCPS.)

For the same year (2007) 36% of students who attended Montgomery Co. High schools received a weighted GPA.

Where this most comes into importance is with regards to Merit scholarships. FCPS students are literally losing thousands of dollars per year with regards to merit money - which is based heavily on Grade Point.

The impressive women who put together what appears to very solid research, say that contrary to what FCPS says, Admissions offices DO NOT reassess grade point to take into account FCPS's more rigorous scale.

Compare these two examples:

A kid in Fairfax County receives the following Grades in these classes:

Honors Math 93% = B+

AP English 90% = B+

Honors Physics 99% = A

AP History 83% = C+

Spanish 93% = B+

The FCPS student would have an overall gradepoint of 3.60

An Arlington student would have an overall gradepoint of 4.0 withe the same percentage averages because their grades - even with the same percentages as the FCPS student would be as follows:

Honors Math 93% = A

AP English 90% = A

Honors Physics 99% = A

AP History 83% = B

Spanish 93% = A

Arlington student gradepoint = 4.0

One of the moms, a former admissions officer for Georgetown insisted too that "College Admissions officers don't like to see C's." And at many universities, like the University of Michigan, the Admissions offices drop the pluses and minuses in grades when they reassess gradepoints for admissions purposes. The puts FCPS students at a further disadvantage because 93% in a FCPS class translates into a B+. In most other school districts the 93% is an A. At U of M, the FCPS would be viewed as a "B" student, whereas the same student from any other county would be viewed as an "A" student.

Some notes about our own state universities and colleges. These moms found the following:

VA Tech - They DO NOT make an changes to gradepoints or adjustments to high school GPA for admissions.

GMU - same as VA Tech

Virginia Commonwealth University - No credit is given for AP or Honors classes taken in high school (*note from me: I am unclear as to if this means the high school student won't receive college credit for these classes taken, or if this means they reassess the high school gradepoint not taking into account that it is an AP or Honors class.)

Here are some examples of how merit scholarship money is afffected by GPA performance:

1. GMU: SAT 1300/GPA 3.7 or higher = a four year full tuition merit scholarship

2. Lynchburg College: 1100 SAT/GPA 3.5, 1200 SAT/GPA 3.25, 1250 SAT/GPA 3.00 = merit scholarships range from 12K - 48K per year over four years.

(Note: At Lynchburg, the high school GPA is taken exactly from the high school transcript - NO consideration for FCPS's rigorous system is taken into account.)

3. Purdue: SAT 1340/GPA 3.8 on a 4.0 scale = 10K-40K over four years for merit scholarships

The moms noted that at many universities, the schools won't even tell you that your student is eligible for a merit scholarship until you actually receive the award. In other words, because FCPS students have "lower" GPA's, many aren't even aware they could have been eligible for these tuition scholarships simply because kids from other school systems are beating them to the punch with their "higher" GPA's.

A note about the University of Virginia: For the 2007-08 school year, there were 18,000 applicants. Only 6.3% of these students were admitted. The average GPA for those students admitted was 4.0 or higher.

Across the country, the most common GPA scale is the 10 point grading system. - Meaning 90-100 = A, 80-90 = B etc....

2/3 of college admissions decisions come solely down to the high school GPA.

45 of the nationally recognized public high schools in the country use the 10 point scale.

Here is some striking data from a few of these 45 schools:

School

Nat'l Ranking

Avg. SAT

% of students

w/weighted GPA

Langley HS

5%

(McLean)

Churchill HS

36%

(Bethesda)

HM Gunn HS

20%

(California)

Wellsley HS

32%

(Massach.)

Manhasset HS

21%

(NY)

Palos Verde HS

30%

(CA)

These moms have identified 15 school districts in the country who have converted to the 10 point grading system. These school districts are located in 10 different states.

FCPS last reviewed its grading scale in 1997 and determined at that time to keep the existing system.

These moms are meeting with Superintendent Jack Dale and three other school officials on Thursday morning to present their findings. They were granted this meeting only after the large showing they received at McLean High School earlier in March when they presented this info to the McLean HS PTA.

Momentum for this issue is growing and these parents suggest the following:

1. Sign FAIRGRADE's petition & Volunteer Sheet

2. Pass this information around to as many parents as possible

3. Write letter and send e-mails about this issue to all of the school board members and the Superintendent - Jack Dale - as well as your Cluster Superintendent

www.FAIRGRADE.org (under construction)

email: FAIRGRADE.fcps@gmail.com

The moms who did this research are:

1. Megan MacLaughlin

2. Marcy Newberger

3. Sara Pacque-Margolis

The data was collected from October '07 to March '08

My notes, I believe, are quite accurate. You may pass e-mail onto others if you wish, but if quoting information directly to public officials, please refer to their official information when their website is up and running. I believe they will put their presentation on their in a PDF file format.

Sincerely,

Catherine

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FAIRGRADE Parent Advocacy Group
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 11, 2008 02:47PM

Hey Valium, FUCK OFF

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: April 11, 2008 05:12PM

I think this issue is well beyond Fairfax County, it is NATIONWIDE.

While we may produce "smarter" students/graduates by having a tougher system to get an "A" in, it really does not do anyting to help when they move on to higher education and are competing with others who got their "A" grades in a relaxed system.

I have met plenty of stumps who claimed to have 3.5 or 3.8 and while I am sure they did, it was not the same as a fairfax County GPA of the same...

One girl I met not long after I graduated HS, was supposedly SO smart, yet in speaking with her, she would have a tough time up here for sure. She was from Buckingham, VA and while VERY pretty, dumb as a stump.

Posted by: Fairfax County Public Shit ()
Date: April 11, 2008 05:17PM

can't spell Fascist Oppression without FCPS!

Posted by: Sgt. Hulka ()
Date: April 11, 2008 08:40PM

It's almost 2100. Do you know where your children are drinking, doing drugs and having sex?

Didn't think so.

"my son/daughter would never do that" |

They won't in the military.

Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: April 11, 2008 11:53PM

While I am sure that there are some interesting facts in your post, could you have possibly summarized it and pasted it in a format that was a bit easier to read? This just goes on and on and it is painful to look at. Maybe try a link to the original article.

Posted by: Sid Hanson ()
Date: April 17, 2008 12:41PM

People are not aware of the petition. We need to get the word out and get something done. I think it should be sent to every PTA in Fairfax County. The students should also sign the petition. It is affecting them the most.

Posted by: Megan McLaughlin-Fairgrade co-founder ()
Date: May 11, 2008 02:00PM

I just wanted to correct a few Fairgrade statistics that were inaccurately reported...I know it can be difficult, given the extensive research.

Specifically, the stats regarding % of students given weights for their AP courses. The actual statistic is that: 6% of Langley HS grads earned a 4.0 weighted GPA or higher versus 36% of the graduates from Churchill HS in Maryland.

Also, the % of students who were accepted at UVA was 35%, not 6%. The accept rate fell from 39% to 35% in the last 4 years.

I truly appreciate the parental efforts to get the word out.

PLEASE visit our new website FAIRGRADE.org to view the entire 24 page PowerPoint slide presentation.

We have sent requests to all 28 FCPS HS pyramid PTAs asking them to publish newletter articles about Fairgrade's research and also to schedule presentations at their school.

FINALLY----PLEASE visit our online petition. It's the MOST important way for parents to make their voices heard! (www.ipetitions.com/petition/fairgrade)

Thank you for supporting FAIRGRADE and for getting the word out to parents!!

Megan McLaughlin/Fairgrade Co-founder

Posted by: UlsterBrt ()
Date: May 28, 2008 12:41AM

You noted that students admitted to the University of Virginia had an average 4.0 GPA. However, I know several kids from Fairfax County who got in with 3.6 and 3.8 due to the difficult high school classes they took plus their rigorous grading scale. A University of Virginia admissions counselor told me they do consider our harder grading scale when looking at GPA's. Do you know if FAIRGRADE has asked around about this?

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 28, 2008 05:37PM

the counsuler was probably smoking up, hard kolledjez like UVA and Vtech do no recalculate, they take it as is

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: May 28, 2008 05:48PM

Lame.

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: May 28, 2008 07:48PM

Sgt. Hulka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's almost 2100. Do you know where your children
> are drinking, doing drugs and having sex?
>
> Didn't think so.
>
> "my son/daughter would never do that" |
>
> They won't in the military.

You must be out a LONG time, Sarge. LOL

Our wonderful troops do all that and MORE.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.