HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
where can I get decent steak tartare? (any restaurant within 30 miles of Fairfax County?)
Posted by: Carnivore ()
Date: April 09, 2008 08:36PM

where can I get decent steak tartare? (any restaurant within 30 miles of Fairfax County?)

any replies appreciated :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: where can I get decent steak tartare? (any restaurant within 30 miles of Fairfax County?)
Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: April 09, 2008 11:55PM

This is one of those menu items which seems to have really fallen out of favor in the wake of all of the foodborne illnesses and the fact that it contains both raw beef and a raw egg, but you might find it on some of the upscale restaurants in DC.

Have you tried making it yourself? As long as you get good quality, freshly ground beef and spring for pasteurized eggs it is pretty easy and safe.

How do you feel about carpaccio? I feel that it is an even better dish and much easier to find as an appetizer. The version at Bellissimo in Fairfax City is not bad.

Re: where can I get decent steak tartare? (any restaurant within 30 miles of Fairfax County?)
Posted by: (IP Logged) ()
Date: April 10, 2008 07:10AM

Making it yourself really is the best way to go. Don't buy ground beef though--grind it yourself. Just get a nice filet, trim the fat, and either mince it by hand with a sharp knife or do it in a food processor on pulse. Let the beef come to room temperature, mix in some egg yolk, minced onion or shallot, dijon mustard, capers, maybe some herbs, and serve with fresh bread or toast and a nice glass of wine. Hmm, I might have to do that myself this weekend.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: April 10, 2008 08:59AM

Flemings perhaps?

Posted by: § ()
Date: April 10, 2008 09:37AM

I believe Ruth's Chris may have one on the menu. -§

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: April 10, 2008 09:46AM

Interesting, nothing showing at Flemings. I know that a friend of mine used to order it at the Daily Grill in Tysons. It may or may not be on the menu there now.

You may just have to go to the haute cuisine locales like Philadelphia or New York.

Or, wait until next Wednesday and ask Tom Sietsema of the WaPo during his weekly online chat. If anybody knows, Tom does....

Posted by: gypsy ()
Date: April 10, 2008 12:52PM

The Serbian Crown in Great Falls. Pricey but good. They also have some interesting game on the menu.
http://www.serbiancrown.com/

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.