HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anyone know why Myspace/Facebook/everything else have been unblocked on all FCPS computers recently??
Posted by: a student ()
Date: April 09, 2008 12:09PM

As of recent, facebook, myspace, and everything else have been unblocked on all FCPS computers. There have been varying debates on how long, but popular contention is that it's been at least a week. Is this because of a server error, or are they up to something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone know why Myspace/Facebook/everything else have been unblocked on all FCPS computers recently??
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 09, 2008 01:09PM

they were infiltrated by the resistance.

file.php?2,file=2605
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2008 06:35PM by Gravis.

Re: Anyone know why Myspace/Facebook/everything else have been unblocked on all FCPS computers recently??
Date: April 09, 2008 01:15PM

ahhh, not the lolcats! (if so, seriously, the students all thank them.)

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: April 09, 2008 01:27PM

Yeah, that would be my first guess, Tech cats.

Date: April 09, 2008 01:50PM

hahahaha. seriously, though, before this becomes a lolcat fest, anyone have any clues as to what's going on? someone said their facebook got disabled because they logged on at school...

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: April 09, 2008 02:07PM

Posted by: Gravis's sexylicious brother ()
Date: April 09, 2008 02:50PM

ITRADE i think you meant to post this one instead:

Date: April 09, 2008 03:08PM

*bangs head on edge of desk*

leave it to fairfax underground to make me laugh, but not answer my question at all. thanks, guys. :D

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: April 09, 2008 04:19PM

I saw a bunch of calicos strutting around together the other day near a FCPS. I'm sure they were up to something! Damn cat gangs!
Attachments:
cat_argue.gif

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 09, 2008 05:05PM

a student Wrote:
> a server error, or are they up to something?
Attachments:
MyPokemans.jpg

Posted by: Steve K ()
Date: April 09, 2008 07:47PM

Just over the weekend, the county went from domains at every high school to a domain for the whole county. If those sites come up now, its just because of the domain change.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 09, 2008 08:52PM

The FCPS uses websense to block web pages. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websense ) All internet page requests go thru websense servers. If the page is on the blocked list, then you get the familiar "this page has been blocked in accordance with your organizations interwebnets use policy"

All internet content filtering servers were up during the period of unblockedness, so it was not due to servers being down. The county did move to the FCPSEDU domain but that has nothing to do with websense. Websense probably did some kind of upgrade which reset the "deny" category. THat includes sites like facebook that arent harmful or malicious but do not help the school's mission. Our friend Robert Afnani's (see http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/73225/73225.htm) site was also unblocked which leads me to that conclusion.

Youtube is still acessible from some schools but not others, which is interesting becuase when a page is blocked by one school and added to the deny list, it is automatically blocked by all schools. This anomaly existed prior to the period of unblockedness, however.

If you really want to know, you could email the IT dept at ITservicedesk@fcps.edu
they will be pleased to help you out.

Posted by: i got the answer ()
Date: April 10, 2008 04:04PM

fcps is updating the server or something and they need to unblock all the sites to this.. so.. enjoy it as it last cuz they well block it soon

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.