HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
City boundaries that divide lots
Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:23PM

I was in Falls Church this weekend and looking at a map that had the city limits - and I noticed they cut right through the middle of a bunch of lots with houses on them.

For example, N. Oak St, Greenwich St., Highland Ave, etc.

How do they determine whether you are in the City of Falls Church or in Fairfax County? Is it where the majority of property lies? Intersection of driveway and street? Placement of mailbox? Front door location?

Also, unlike FCPS boundaries, which usually keep small streets intact, it seems odd to me that on a little street, your literal next door neighbor would not only go to a different school, but whole different school system. (I guess George Mason HS vs. McLean HS in this case)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: City boundaries that divide lots
Posted by: cartographer ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:33PM

Homeowner pays taxes based upon what % of their property lies in that jurisdiction. You can pick what school system you send your child to if a city/county line runs through your property.

If you go a block or so down from the area you are describing, Arlington County schools factor into the scenario. You can literally have 3 school systems within three houses.

For instance, if you look at the old DC cornerstone on Meridian in Falls Church, Arlington, Fairfax and Falls Church meet on that one point. The house on one side is partially in Fairfax and Arlington while the house next to it is partially in Falls Church and Arlington.

Crazy stuff indeed.

Falls Church City is clearly the choice to be made when deciding schools.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: March 27, 2012 06:05PM

cartographer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Homeowner pays taxes based upon what % of their property lies in that
> jurisdiction. You can pick what school system you send your child to if a
> city/county line runs through your property.

So you're saying if that 60% of your house is in Fairfax County, you pay 100% of your property taxes to the County? Not have to do a 60/40 split when paying (which would be a paperwork nightmare).

Kind of neat you get to choose which school you want.

> Falls Church City is clearly the choice to be made
> when deciding schools.

Yeah, life is hard when you have to choose between George Mason, Yorktown, and McLean HS's, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 06:09PM by snowdenscold.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: March 27, 2012 07:35PM

I grew up in Falls Church. Cartographer is correct in his comments concerning proprty taxes. City/Co. line literally went though my bedroom. Back in the day, my parents had a choice between FC City or FFX Co. schools. They chose FFX Co.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.