HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cardinal Basketball
Posted by: Jill ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:02PM

Does anyone know why Dan Allen of Cardinal basketball treats his players like crap? I cannot believe the parents put up with how he treats their kids. Rumor has it he was asked to leave Edison as the JV girls basketball coach due to his treatment of the players.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cardinal Basketball
Posted by: Don King ()
Date: March 27, 2012 06:23PM

Dan has been doing this for years. Edison must not want to get completely rid of him as he still helps with the teams and the Varsity coach, Diane Lewis, coaches with him at Cardinal.

He has been removed as a Cardinal coach before by the parents but he is now listed as the coach of 3 teams for them.

It's simple. Parents have to stop taking their kids for him to coach. As long as they do he will keep being a jerk to every kid he coaches. Parents tell Cardinal you do not want him to be your players coach. If enough do so Cardinal would get rid of him. But matbe not as Cardinal can not get anyone to coach for them except Stan, Payton and Steve.

Dan quit one of his games this past weekend because he was losing to a 7th grade team by 15 with his 8th/9th/10th graders. The biggest problem with Cardinal is they move the kids around so much on different teams you never know who you will play with.

And for the parents who do pay for their kids to play you are also paying for several on your team who do not/never have paid, they just do not tell you that you are being that nice to pay for several other players because their parents figured out how to save money. Sucker!!!!!

Date: March 27, 2012 11:44PM

He may have quit a game this past weekend yet I saw him get ejected from a game this past Sunday. How he acted during the game was very shameful.

Posted by: Stan King ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:02PM

Dan Allen shows the bad of coaches all rolled into one. He is an ass to everyone. Complains about every call. The only referees he likes are the one's at Cardinal tournament because as we all know Cardinal teams get every call in their tournaments.That's why they only get 22 teams and half are their own.

Someone should get arrested for what Cardinal does. Most AAU clubs are non-profit but Cardinal is all profit. They use Mt Vernon HS like they own it. They do thing that no one else can do because Stan Kings wife is principal at Mt. Vernon but he got caught last year and now can not have anything to do with the tournaments. He was doing thing that everyone else would have to pay for but not him.

Play one of their teams, when you start they will have 8 players, if you are beating them all of a sudden they have 4 more players that look a lot older then the rest of the team and now you are losing. What does that teach?? How to CHEAT!!!!

It's good players have a place to go but come on the way they are run is not what we want to teach the children. They have had coaches pull knives on referees, Dan Allen has had his ass kicked several times, fights between players. Are they in the HOOD?? Why would anyone go there to play?

Don't get me going on players playing for their high school coaches. There is a rule in Northern region of Va. ONLY 1/3 of your team can be from the school you coach at, Official coach or vollenteer coach all the same. If YOU are involved with the high school program you have to follow this rule. and it applies to rising 8th graders also

Posted by: VA_Sniffer ()
Date: March 29, 2012 03:14PM

This is a FRAUD.

It's OBVIOUS that the same person posted all posts above. (Stan King, Don King, Jill)

Dan is a tough good coach. My niece played for him three years ago and she moved and she stopped playing BBall. She has compared every subsequent coach to him, even considered moving with us to stay on his team.

All I know is my niece was in the makings of a really good player when she was here and her work ethic was really high. The kids enjoyed hanging out at his house and had fun on and off the court. I even his teams won championships every year, at least the 3 years my niece played for him.

But I'm a ex-military guy, so I expect kids to be held to a standard and to work hard. Maybe I'm in the minority on this.

Date: March 29, 2012 03:25PM

VA_Sniffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a FRAUD.
>
> It's OBVIOUS that the same person posted all posts
> above. (Stan King, Don King, Jill)
>
> Dan is a tough good coach. My niece played for
> him three years ago and she moved and she stopped
> playing BBall. She has compared every subsequent
> coach to him, even considered moving with us to
> stay on his team.
>
> All I know is my niece was in the makings of a
> really good player when she was here and her work
> ethic was really high. The kids enjoyed hanging
> out at his house and had fun on and off the court.
> I even his teams won championships every year, at
> least the 3 years my niece played for him.
>
> But I'm a ex-military guy, so I expect kids to be
> held to a standard and to work hard. Maybe I'm in
> the minority on this.

You are in the minority. Stan and Don King seem the same to me since the writing style is the same. I don't know what kind of coach he was three tears ago. The language and attitude I observed from him was despicable even by football coaching language. I too am ex military. That kind of demeaning language would get him fragged.

Date: March 29, 2012 03:46PM

If it was so despicable, why does he have players??? I think you have to pay to play AAU and there are at least five different AAU clubs in Fairfax.

Can you quote what was so despicable?

Since you observed more than one game in one weekend of his team, you are either a parent or enamored with him or his team.

In either case, you have the option to find another team or to coach yourself and show Dan how its done. However, I doubt that you are a parent because your first post infer that you would not put up with him.

Date: March 29, 2012 03:47PM

Championships of what?? It's AAU and high school JV there are no championships.

Your neice was in the makings of a really good player till she left Dan. That's because he was blowing smoke up your and her ass to keep her on the team and when she went to a real team she found out that she sucks and has no skills because her coach only taught her how to be an ass.

He has had girls that could be really good players but so many of them act like him they go no where when they get off his team and go to a real basketball team.

Posted by: VA_sniffer ()
Date: March 29, 2012 04:08PM

Fairfax County has a basketball league because there are no middle school sports. His team won the Championship for that league 4 or 5 years in a row.

Honestly, I don't know what transpired between my niece and her other coaches, but my niece is a fine young lady who is on honor roll and very active in school outside of sports. She's class VP.

Again, Stan, like Jill, you have invested a lot of time into following a volunteer unpaid coach. What has he done to you or your family?

Posted by: Budu ()
Date: March 29, 2012 05:34PM

I was at the game this weekend, the only thing dispicable was the refereeing. The fact that anybody would let a husband and wife ref together or that a husband and wife would want to ref together is laughable.These refs fouled out all of the Cardinal players.The Coaches did not quit, but ran out of players due to referees who do not understand the rules nor the goal of developmental basektball. So I think the coaching staff ended the game to protect the remaining three players. I was also told that the coach of the other team was so ticked off at the husband and wife refereeing team he reported them to both Cardinal and the tournament managers.

Posted by: Oomi Z. ()
Date: March 29, 2012 05:43PM

Well...it sounds like the original post is a fraud. Maybe the referee is behind these posts. My assessment is that Coach Allen, Coach Lewis, Coach King & staff have more than their share of coaching awards. You don't get these by not being the best and by not taking care of players.

Date: March 29, 2012 06:18PM

What team on FCYBL has Dan coached? And what years did they win the championship? This must have been many years ago because it sure is not lately.

The referees fouled out all of his players???? I think the players foul themselves out, the referees enforce the rules of the game. And DAN teaches his players not to follow rules JUST WIN BABY or hear me YELL!!!!

I saw him many years ago at a tournament, one of his player fouled out at the end of the game, he had 10 players on the bench and he refused to put a player in. Told the referees that all 10 were hurt.

Do you think the referees called every call Vs. Dan because of the way he acys twords them?? I would say YES

The man is an ASS and HURTS way more players then he helps. Ask him why the Parents of his team had him removed as the coach during the Potomac Valley DQT in the Spring of 2010???? BECAUSE of the way he treated his players after a loss that is why. Why is he no longer JV coach at Edison???

Posted by: Jim Butler ()
Date: March 29, 2012 06:44PM

Stan King aka Coach MCray is that you?

Weren't you banned from hoop girls website for spreading lies like the the ones in the previous posts? I believe Coach Allen stepped down as the JV Coach at Edison. As far as the Potomac Valley tournament, as happened with Jim Butler with the Matrix a couple of rogue parents tried to hijack the team but he was too good of a coach to let that happen. Following that event the numbers on his team went from 3 to 36. He may be the most sought after coach in the area.

To All of you who saw this alledged behavior, if it was so bad why didn't you have the courage to stand up and confront him? I think I already know the answer.

Posted by: BiggMacc ()
Date: March 29, 2012 08:47PM

Who ever you are do not get me involved in this. When I post I use this name. Not afraid to let others know who I am. Next time spell my name right and get your facts right about what I post

Posted by: Farmer ()
Date: March 29, 2012 10:31PM

Will all you all leave my coach alone!! He is a top coach and a real gentelman who loves and cares about all his players and parents. He gets along with all the officials and never gets angry at anyone. What is everyone talking about? Never fights/yells/curses. If I did not have him I would have no teams at my tournaments Come on can't we all get along

Posted by: DQT ()
Date: March 30, 2012 01:02AM

The facts are at that tournament they did not need the win because they had already played in a super regional. Winning would have gotten them a higher seed at Nationals. After they lost the game by 2 points he cursed out the 12 year old who tried to make a last second shot to won the game. So that family Dad, Brother and Grandpa almost kicked his ass. Coach King suspended him for 2 weeks. When he was allowed back those parents left the team. He stepped down at Edison that summer because the player he cursed out was a future player and Coach Lewis wasn't having it. The only reason she helps him coach now is because a few of his current players are from her school and she doesn't want him to ruin them either. Look at the kids that left they are all playing much better since they left. Nobody comes back after they leave. As for the writer who claims their niece played for him bull! It's probably Dan or his only friend Steve who made that up.

Posted by: Fan ()
Date: March 30, 2012 12:09PM

I was at a game on Sunday and Mr. Allen was nothing like you make it out. He never yelled at the refs or the players. I've seen him before with the same thing. So I have no idea what you all are talking about. Just seems like the more the merier.

Posted by: Speaker ()
Date: March 30, 2012 12:58PM

DQT:

It seems like you know a lot of information about the Cardinal team, however your facts are incorrect. It's childish that adults are bashing coaches who VOLUNTEER their time to better these players. If the parents/players had an issues with Coach Allen's coaching style then they shouldn't play for him, but to stoop this low and bad mouth a coach on a website is pathetic. It's easy to hide behind a computer and make up ALL these allegations. It appears Coach Allen still has a team, two in fact and it is obvious that parents/players are still coming to play for him. He is a great coach with plenty of 1st place trophies and coach of the year awards to prove that.

BiggMacc:

For someone who doesn't want to be involved, you seemed to have looked hard to find your name and see you were addressed in a post. You must have known these posts were occurring, or like Jim Butler said, you are the one who is posting things.

Posted by: Referee ()
Date: March 30, 2012 01:01PM

Yeah, it's always the referees fault who don't know the rules. AAU is development basketball? What a fucking dumb statement.

Budu Wrote:
> I was at the game this weekend, the only thing
> dispicable was the refereeing. The fact that
> anybody would let a husband and wife ref together
> or that a husband and wife would want to ref
> together is laughable.These refs fouled out all of
> the Cardinal players.The Coaches did not quit, but
> ran out of players due to referees who do not
> understand the rules nor the goal of developmental
> basektball. So I think the coaching staff ended
> the game to protect the remaining three players. I
> was also told that the coach of the other team was
> so ticked off at the husband and wife refereeing
> team he reported them to both Cardinal and the
> tournament managers.

Posted by: BiggMacc ()
Date: March 30, 2012 01:54PM

No just like this post have friends who tell me i am being called out for post I have nothing to do with. I do look at FU. Everyone knows who I am, who are you?

Posted by: For Profit? ()
Date: March 30, 2012 06:47PM

Please tell me what profit cardinal makes? Did Stan put an addition on his townhouse or a pool in his backyard. No but you know one organization owner did. Do you see a new car in Stan's driveway. Nope still driving an expedition he bought years ago so he could drive all these kids around. Some kids are not fortunate enough to be born into a household where the parents can afford basketball at any level much less AAU. What should he get arrested for having a heart? BTW the tournaments are ran by Kenny Farmer who is not connected with the AAU side. No money from either one spills over. They don't even give Cardinal teams a discount anymore. I will agree that he should fire Dan Allen. He may be coaching a few teams but he chased off just as many kids anyway.

Date: March 30, 2012 09:05PM

Sports at ANY level is developmental, even at the professional level. With the exception of playoff and championship games, all games are developmental. There are many aspects of this. You have development at the individual level which includes skills, physical conditioning, and character. The same could be said for development at the team level.

If AAU or WAGS isn't about development, what is it for? I don't see box scores or standings posted for AAU teams.

Your statement seriously cast doubt to your knowledge or even appreciation what AAU or WAGS is about.

Posted by: VA_sniffer ()
Date: March 30, 2012 09:16PM

BiggMacc Wrote:
> No just like this post have friends who tell me i
> am being called out for post I have nothing to do
> with. I do look at FU. Everyone knows who I am,
> who are you?

ROTFL at BiggMacc aka Stan King aka "The Fairfax Underground Sniper"

Posted by: Father of the year ()
Date: April 03, 2012 10:32PM

Jim Butler if Dan Allen is such a great guy why did he ground his daughter for over a month for the way she played at Nationals. She was in the 7th grade and got to do nothing all summer because he felt she didn't play well. I don't care how many coach of the year awards he has he's still a jerk when he loses. Maybe if he wasn't always beating your teams you would have a chance to see this ugly side.

Posted by: Coach of the year ()
Date: April 09, 2012 10:05PM

No, "Father of the Year!"

I grounded "your" daughter for the summer because she sucked on my summer house team and because your wife was ejected during a game for being an atrocious troll.

"Father of the year" aka "Stan King" aka "BigMacc" the more that you snipe the more you sound like Dan's BITCH.

Posted by: Regretful Mom ()
Date: May 08, 2012 04:32PM

Our daughter played on one of Dan's teams several years ago. It was the worst sports experience for our child. As a coach Dan's go to method of team-management is anger and yelling at the girls. He would always defend his behaviour as pointing out how he was harder on his daughter than any other player. It did not matter how well any girl played the team was excoriated after each game. It was also frightening to see how the other parents appeared to revere Dan. Clearly there was a cult-like atmosphere that we just couldn't buy into. I regret that I had my child finish out that season. We should have walked away early on.

Posted by: Not really ()
Date: May 10, 2012 12:51AM

Not much of a cult. He's got one player in addition to his daughter from that original team. Nobody has stuck with him. There are a few new kids who aren't good enough to play on another team so why not stay there where at least they get some playing time. Truth be told his own daughter does not want to play for him but he will never let her play for someone else. Feel bad for her. She definitely gets it worse than anyone. Not only does she get berated in front of the team she gets grounded for her play. Everyone has told him he needs to quit coaching her but he refuses to listen. I wish she was good enough to get a scholarship so she could be as far away as possible. She's a good kid but her father is a douche.

Posted by: sharp-shooter ()
Date: May 10, 2012 03:08AM

Cardinal needs to fold completely and start over. They simply can't compete when kids can't get to games and others are brought in to compensate!

Posted by: Cardinal Parent ()
Date: May 10, 2012 06:08PM

This thread should not be labeled Cardinal Basketball as it is only about one coach and team. Please don't compare that team with ours from the same organization. My daughter's team finished in the top 10 in the country and her friends team in the top 5. There are only a handful of teams so to have 2 top 10 is pretty good.

Posted by: Mikek10 ()
Date: August 10, 2012 12:21AM

I was a parent in a few tournaments and I observed a few disenchanting things. Mostly, from Stan King. He took our money for a tournament, which is expected, but then we had to leave because Stan King didn't pay for the courts we were using!

We asked for the money back and he's yet to do so! The people at the facility were very understanding and even put on a tournament and let us in for half price!

I hear that Stan King is ex military. They have a code of ethics and I believe honor, honesty, truth and upstanding are part of the characteristics of that. I've yet to find Stan King harboring any of those qualities.

He's out for money and his wife was an avenue for him, until he was caught. I think she may be out soon.. from what I've heard.

Too bad the military was his background and yet he takes advantage of the freedom of others, in which he was supposed to be protecting.

I hope in this case, the acorn falls VERY far from the tree.

Posted by: Nll ()
Date: August 10, 2012 12:35AM

Tree

Posted by: Mike B ()
Date: August 16, 2012 04:29PM

Stan King owes a referee association $3,500, and he did not pay for forfeit games. Stan was renting out courts at Mount Vernon HS to other AAU basketball Programs. I saw this with my own eyes. Larry and Lynne Payne Owner's of Maryland Marauders/ Domniate the glass AAU Basketball Program. They were running a AAU Basketball Tournament in the aux gym. I saw Larry Payne give Stan King $800 in cash, and then Stan Counted the money. Watch out for Larry and Lynne Payne, they owe Multiple Referee Associations thousands of dollars, and they owe a bunch of Gyms money for not paying for gym space, and writing checks on closed Account's.

Posted by: BS Mike ()
Date: August 17, 2012 04:36PM

He's a retired Colonel in the Army. He's making enough money from uncle sam that risking it for $800 wouldn't be worth it. He does not make any money from Cardinal. He pays for half of the players on his team to go out of town to tournaments because they don't have the money. You clearly don't know the basketball arena well. If you don't pay refs they won't ref and neither will another organization. All you have to do is stiff someone once and you are done! Not only do you bad mouth, Stan accuse him of stealing from a high school, but then you throw two more names in that also don't pay refs. Which organization do they owe Cardinal, Quanitico, or Mid-South? My guess is you are just making stuff up because Stan's team beat you by 50. Sour grapes.

Posted by: MAC_Daddy ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:36PM

Well, both the spring and summer AAU periods have ended and here are the facts:
1. Stan's U16 finish in the top 4 in 4 of 6 National Exposure tournaments
2. Five of Stan's U16 players have multiple D1 scholarship offers
3. Stan took a U14/U16 team to Hawaii
4. Dan's team has finished in the top 4 in 4 of 6 National Exposure tournaments
5. Six of Dan's player have received multiple interest letters from colleges
6. Dan took his team to Chicago for 2 weeks

I doubt any coach that sucks, unethical, self-serving, or unscrupulous would have achieved ANY of the above.

Posted by: The_*_U_Love_2_Hate ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:55PM

Honestly, these people who are posting these lies should do us all a favor... And kill themselves!!

If a coaches personality does not fit you kid/family, find another coach. Better yet, start a team yourself. ANYONE who has coached an AAU team KNOWS that the coach always loses money.

If someone owes you money for tournament, why are you not suing him rather that post on a message board... Freaking LIARS.

Stan and Kenny organization provides opportunities to many young men and women in character and athletic development. They are giving way more to the community than they are taking. If you can do better, please do so and stop crapping on people who are working with our kids.

If Cardinal owes Cardinal Referees, then why are they still working Cardinal tournament. LIARS!!!

Lastly, bringing Principal King into this and question her integrity is SHAMEFUL.

Posted by: Basketball again ()
Date: August 27, 2012 10:30PM

Tnis thread boring. The o e of Lake Braddock girls much much better

Posted by: FairfaxAAU ()
Date: August 28, 2012 10:48AM

Cardinal gives a ton of kids an opportunity to play
despite a few issues here and there....we are trying to do
Same to the north with new Annandale AAU club -
www.annandalehoops.org

Posted by: GTown_Ballin ()
Date: September 01, 2012 06:44PM

We need a basketball complex in eastern Fairfax County.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: September 30, 2012 10:51PM

Thought it should be known that Allen's team went 4-0 in prime exposure tournament this weekend. Word on the street has it that multiple players from his team are getting D1 looks. Given that D1 schollies are worth upwards of 200k, in the words of the old commercial, that's priceless..

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: September 30, 2012 10:56PM

What a waste of a thread.

Posted by: CNN News ()
Date: October 01, 2012 03:48PM

But the street is Old Mt. Vernon Road in the hood.

Posted by: Lies ()
Date: October 02, 2012 12:28AM

Word on the street is his 11th grade team played 9th grade teams all weekend in typical Dan Allen fashion so they could win some games. 2nd word is not one player has one offer. Nice try Dan.

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: October 02, 2012 08:02AM

Who are some of these D-1 prospects and where do they play? I saw Mt. Vernon play a couple of times last year, and although I'm no expert, there was only 1 girl there that looked like a D-1 prospect to me.

Posted by: ABC News ()
Date: October 02, 2012 09:31AM

There are 2 seniors on Mt Vernon with D1 scholarships. The Allen team is girls from several schools. Only one kid from Mt v she's a junior. Two different teams you are talking about. But I would say her and the girl from Washington Lee are the ones on his team getting some interest. We played against them and those are the 2 that gave us the most trouble.

Posted by: Cardinal Referee ()
Date: October 02, 2012 10:39AM

Dan Allen does not act like an ass when Cardinal referees do games. He gets ejected at other games when he does his bullying tactics against non-Cardinal referees. He tries to use his stature to intimidate and stand over referees who are much shorter than he. Word on the street is that he has received so many complaints to tournament and league officials that he will only do games where there are Cardinal referees.

Date: October 02, 2012 11:18AM

Oh, ok. I guess the ones I saw would be seniors this year. Yet, I'm still not sure who the 2 were. I admit I only saw a couple of games and only 1 girl stands out in my mind. She was taller, not a post player, good shooter, good handle, and actually played good defense.

There are 2 seniors on Mt Vernon with D1 scholarships. The Allen team is girls from several schools. Only one kid from Mt v she's a junior. Two different teams you are talking about. But I would say her and the girl from Washington Lee are the ones on his team getting some interest. We played against them and those are the 2 that gave us the most trouble.

Posted by: Not-Cardinal Referee ()
Date: October 02, 2012 03:18PM

I think what you mean is the Mid-South refs who do the games at Mt Vernon. He won't get in their face because most of them are bigger and he knows if he messes with one he messes with all. They were reffing a game at Mt V when Dan got his ass kicked for running his mouth. Most of them are former military they could have stopped it instead they left the gym. Most of them thought he got what he deserved. I can't tell you how many times he has said do you want to take this outside to a ref. What kind of coach for youth sports does that? In games ref by other leagues they will T him up after the 2nd one he has to leave. Now that the edison coach is with him he's a lot calmer. Plus he's on probation with cardinal for a complaint made awhile ago. If he gets another Stan is going to take his team.

There is a league of cardinal refs they usually do Fairfax County high school and county league games.

Posted by: Mt Vernon ()
Date: October 21, 2012 10:58AM

Heard Big Dan and Mt Vernon girls varstity coach got into it yesterday. Lots of yelling and of coarse Dan asked him to take it outside. Really good role model for the young players to see. Telling his players to not play high school game but play AAU team game. That's what I want my daughter to see and use as the way to act. If parents see this as being ok they should leave their daughters on Dans team.

Posted by: Cardinal Referee ()
Date: October 21, 2012 06:54PM

I wonder what Dan would do if someone agreed with him "to take it outside." I bet he would cower and walk away.

Posted by: clock person ()
Date: October 21, 2012 09:46PM

that's funny- I was at the table for the game yesterday- I saw the confrontation and it was Courtney who said let's take this outside- not Dan.. It was Courtney acting the fool, not Dan. The teams didn't conflict at all, Dan's team played, then Mt Vernon on the same court. Everything Mt Vernon said there was an out and out lie, which is typical for this thread.

Posted by: Clock person is liar ()
Date: October 21, 2012 11:57PM

The clock and books are done by mt v bball players I seriously doubt any of them except for the one Dan was arguing about would ever come to his defense. Dan tried to make a child decide what team to play with when she went to her high school coach then Dan tried to bully him. Only that blew up in his face. He tried to get loud thinking Courtney would back down. Instead Courtney put him in his place. Courtney then being the bigger man and more mature adult said to Dan let's go outside and talk about this instead of doing it in front of everyone. Dan's actions probably cost him that player he had to have Saturday. Fall league is for the high school teams no other AAU team is even trying to play. To include Stan King. Dan was a complete and total ass. Edison parents and Cardinal parents were all laughing at him. Maybe this is the wake up call he needs to stop coaching for good. One can only hope.

Posted by: * ()
Date: October 22, 2012 12:26AM

why's that mary? I know it's you that's talking there.....

Posted by: kids ()
Date: October 22, 2012 12:45PM

out of respect for Dan's kids and the players I will not comment on this weekend except to say there was never a "fight" just a little bit of shouting. Imagine that 2 basketball coaches shouting. Nothing to see here keep it moving.

Posted by: Interested Reader ()
Date: October 22, 2012 10:30PM

That can't be Mary.....English is somewhat proper.

Posted by: Who Cares ()
Date: October 23, 2012 01:59PM

Any person who would take up for Dan Allen during that incident this past weekend with Mount Vernon's Head Coach is a complete ass whole! Dan Allen was completely wrong with the whole situation and I saw the whole thing unfold! First off you dont put a child in the middle of a situation that way, you dont try and get a child to play for her AAU team during a High School Fall League game, especially when their high school plays after the AAU team! Whom ever said they were at the table and that Mount Vernon's Coach acted a fool, you are a liar! I watched the whole thing, as I watching Edison's girls team in a good game against St. Mary Rykens. Dan Allen approached him about the kid playing for her AAU team, Mount Vernon's coach simply said "no I dont think she needs to play with her AAU team before her High School team because she has a problem with her knee already" Dan then got upset and started yelling loud and told him he doesnt "own" her and that the player's father said she had to play and that he had talked to him on the phone. Mount Vernon's coach does not look like the type of guy you can just get loud with, yell at and talk to him any kind of way, which is what Dan Allen did. Mount Vernon's coach yelled right back at him and when he saw that they were going to have a yelling match, he said to Dan "Lets go outside and talk about this, we dont need to do this in front of all these people" and they went outside and completed the argument. I dont know the Mount Vernon coach, but I have been afiliated with Dan before and let's just say I'm not afiliated with him anymore! In the end the kid played with her high school team, they beat a really good Holy Cross team and that was it. By the way that Fall League at Mount Vernon is really really good! They have a lot of really good teams and its great to see so many girls in the gym at one time all trying to get better.

Posted by: FOY ()
Date: October 23, 2012 02:37PM

His daughter is playing in double overtime and he is going outside to argue with a coach. Word on the street is his daughter is tired of the behavior he brings to the court and wants to quit. Why go to your kids game if you are not going to watch. Father of the year = Dan Allen.

Posted by: just a thought ()
Date: October 24, 2012 11:37AM

Just looked at a calendar and saw it's October. Last I checked, it's 6 weeks before the season. I don't know Dan Allen from anyone- but I've seen high school aged AAU teams playing around this fall a lot. I don't think the High School coaches own their girls until tryouts begin in a few weeks.

Posted by: Dr Bombay ()
Date: October 24, 2012 11:40AM

I will sell your daughter's sweaty panties on ebay for you.

Date: October 24, 2012 01:11PM

VA_Sniffer Wrote:
> This is a FRAUD.
>
> It's OBVIOUS that the same person posted all posts
> above. (Stan King, Don King, Jill)

Exactly. Welcome to Fairfax Underground, where parents complain endlessly instead of doing anything productive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 01:11PM by More Complete.

Date: October 24, 2012 05:06PM

Right high school basketball is 2 weeks away and AAU starts back up in March so why play for your AAU team over your high school team? Fall league is for high school basketball to get ready for high school season. Maybe there is more to this because Dan is Edison and they lose to Mt Vernon all the time.

Posted by: More complete weigh I ()
Date: October 24, 2012 07:57PM

Please weigh in more complete. You sports genuis

Date: October 24, 2012 09:51PM

More complete weigh I Wrote:
> Please weigh in more complete. You sports genuis

The fact that I'm the only registered person who's posted should tell you all you need to know.

Posted by: quick question ()
Date: October 25, 2012 02:05PM

just a quick question- a lot of the girls I know play Volleyball right now. So how can a coach get all the girls there when it's out of season. Or does the coach not allow the girls to play other sports?

Just looking at this thread there's a lot of haters against Dan. Must mean he's doing something right and folks who want to take shortcuts or the easy way out are the one's that are complaining on this wild west thread where folks can spew out crap without fear of being caught.

Posted by: Grow Some ()
Date: October 25, 2012 06:14PM

How about you grow a pair and ask him yourself instead of coming on the internet to talk tough.

Posted by: bball education ()
Date: October 25, 2012 09:30PM

Here's the way it works now AAU tryouts are in February you play with your AAU team until the end of July. Then you take August off. Come September you play with your high school team. This gives you an opportunity to gel with your team. It's not mandatory. But the high school season only gives you 3 weeks to practice and learn plays before games begin. What this coach has his girls doing is playing 4 games per weekend. That's more than the NBA. You risk injury playing the kids that much. The only AAU teams that play in the fall are 8th grade and under because they don't have an alternative place to play. It wouldn't make sense to talk to him or any other coach with his mentality because they won't listen. You would be wasting your breath. Eventually when no one in the area will play for them they recruit from a new area.

Posted by: thought ()
Date: October 25, 2012 10:57PM

bball education-
It sounds like you're saying the fall league isn't mandatory, but the Mt Vernon Coach wouldn't let her play on the AAU team. Isn't that the definition of mandatory? Is that allowed?

Posted by: Reply to thought ()
Date: October 26, 2012 11:07PM

The Mt Vernon coach didn't want her to play at all because she is getting over an injury. The high school coaches have to be very careful about saying anything out of season because they can only have limited contact with the players.

Posted by: HOA MGR ()
Date: October 26, 2012 11:14PM

I'm a bigger fan of Bishop Baseball.
I remember him telling me 'you're the catcher'.

Posted by: interesting.... ()
Date: October 27, 2012 03:14PM

I'm hoping then the girl didn't play for the hs team since the coach was that concerned about it... And it sounds if how I'm reading it that if they didn't let her play for the AAU team like they're treading on some pretty thin ice there.

Posted by: Teamster ()
Date: October 27, 2012 03:54PM

Clock person is liar Wrote:
Fall league is for the high school teams no other AAU
> team is even trying to play. To include Stan
> King.

This is because Stan's teams that have any talent are now high schoolers. Class of 2016 was the last group even worth his time, so why start an AAU team in the Fall when they'll all most likely go play for their high schools in a few weeks?

Posted by: Exactly ()
Date: October 27, 2012 11:38PM

You don't have your AAU high school age team play in the fall. It's an unwritten rule between coaches. High school coaches limit workouts in the off-season between March - August. They usually don't participate in summer leagues. Unless they have a team with enough girls who don't do AAU and need another place to play. In return AAU coaches don't have fall and winter commitments for their high school age players. The only exception is the showcase period. There is one weekend either late September or early October depending on the year where girls traditionally play with their aau team. It's the last opportunity to be seen by scouts. The player from last Saturday was so embarrased by the situation that she asked her father to take her home. She did not play or watch her teams play. Her father is the only person who can see she is going to play with this coach. The AAU coach told the high school coach Dad said she was playing with me. High school coach asked Dad and he said I haven't talked to him all week. And then the shouting started. Over nothing. Sad I hope this kid leared how not to behave watching the adults.

Posted by: Take me out to the ball game! ()
Date: October 28, 2012 10:55AM

unwritten rules in girls basketball. I thought they were just in baseball plunking batters or other stuff like that. I'm going to have to find a girls basketball team to cheer for with that. What other unwritten rules are there in girls basketball just so I know.

Posted by: Katie ()
Date: October 31, 2012 02:08PM

I'm jealous! Did you see the Team Van? I don’t know any other team that has one. It’s all decorated, vanity plates. I wish I lived closer.

Posted by: quick question ()
Date: October 31, 2012 04:15PM

Just a question, what is the penalty if a school does engage in improper out of season thing like it sounds like could be there at mt vernon(unwritten rules aside).

Posted by: Quick answer ()
Date: November 01, 2012 09:46AM

looked online, it appears as if a school can be found ineligible for district championships if found guilty.

looks like the rule is 27-8-1.

If memory serves me right, if you can't compete for districts, you can't compete in regionals or states. Yipes, that is pretty harsh.

Date: November 01, 2012 12:25PM

A hs coach can talk to players. Only during RED weeks can they have no contact at all. During YELLOW week no coaching allowed but can talk. Did the Mt. Vernon coach coach the team during the game?? That is not allowed in Northern Region.
Penilty is more like loss of scrimmage. Not loss of Dist. Championship eligiblity. That would happen if you have ineligble player
Not AAU season, high school season about to begin. Player should play for high school first

Posted by: Fan ()
Date: November 01, 2012 12:56PM

Wrong basis. You are obviously speaking from uninformed emotion and not Fairfax County or VHSL rules which is what the High School coaches are bound by. The AAU coaches are not bound by any such rules. Talking to a player is one thing, directing them or preventing them from participating is another and this is what Courtney did. If he wants to put Mt. Vernon, the players and his job at risk because of ego, I think it is foolish and I am sure someone will take him to task on it.

Posted by: AAU baller ()
Date: November 01, 2012 03:48PM

i was at mv last wk and saw the coach coaching there school. Standing right in the hs coaching box(when the benches were on the end line).

also- I know a couple of girls that play for coach allen. They sware by him. And my gosh they've gotten so much better than i ever thought they could get- and they are so strong. I made the mistake to stick by my aau team(boy that was a mistake) when I could have gone to play for him.

Posted by: AAU baller ()
Date: November 01, 2012 03:55PM

Katie Wrote:
> I'm jealous! Did you see the Team Van? I don’t
> know any other team that has one. It’s all
> decorated, vanity plates. I wish I lived closer.

Yeah, I've seen that van. The girls I know say it's really awesome!!!!

Posted by: Courtney the Bully ()
Date: November 02, 2012 04:45PM

Yeah, Courtney is real mature. He showed that when he let Mt. Vernon (ranked #1 in their district) beat Stuart (ranked last) 103-12. I would like to see him and his girls beat West Springfield or Oakton by 100 points. Better yet, why not Edison since they are in the same district.

Posted by: opposing coach ()
Date: November 03, 2012 09:04AM

Courtney the Bully Wrote:
> Yeah, Courtney is real mature. He showed that when
> he let Mt. Vernon (ranked #1 in their district)
> beat Stuart (ranked last) 103-12. I would like to
> see him and his girls beat West Springfield or
> Oakton by 100 points. Better yet, why not Edison
> since they are in the same district.

That's a great thing about Dan- I've never seen him run up the score. And he's had his chances thru the years.

Posted by: Ex-Cardinal Dad ()
Date: November 03, 2012 02:33PM

Coach Allen almost never even looks at the score. It's part of his coaching philosophy. His focus is on his girls improving. And they do. Dan is probably the best skills coach around. Any girl who has played for him knows what I mean. There are a lot of girls who have played for him who have moved on to other teams where they are now stars. And the girls know why he gets on their case. They know what he expects and if you do things right, even if you mess up he won't say a word. If you don't shoot when you are supposed to, or if you blow an assignment he will get on your case. His coaching style is not for everyone, but he really does care about the girls. My daughter no longer plays for him, but she measures every coach against him. No matter what any coach throws at her, she just laughs, knowing how much more she can take. When I think back to the girls he had in 7th grade, I think every one of them made varsity as a freshman, at many different schools.

Posted by: Curtis_The_Frog ()
Date: November 03, 2012 06:47PM

Loss of a scimmage as a penalty

Wow Wow

SERIOUSLY??? That's not even a hand slap.

Mt Vernon Wrote:
> A hs coach can talk to players. Only during RED
> weeks can they have no contact at all. During
> YELLOW week no coaching allowed but can talk. Did
> the Mt. Vernon coach coach the team during the
> game?? That is not allowed in Northern Region.
> Penilty is more like loss of scrimmage. Not loss
> of Dist. Championship eligiblity. That would
> happen if you have ineligble player
> Not AAU season, high school season about to begin.
> Player should play for high school first

Posted by: Jomo_Kenyatta ()
Date: November 03, 2012 07:19PM

I never got why Fairfax County rules were so restrictive on Coach contact, but I understand know. The reason is that many HS coaches are not mature enough.

First, if the kid sucked Courtney would not have cared.

Second, if the kid was playing volleyball, Courtney could not have done crap.

Third. if the kid's parents were self-serving jerks, Courtney would have been scared shitless to even think to say anything.

Fourth, Courtney needs to check his ego and trust his mentors (Stan, Terry, Payton, and even Dan).

For the sake of the kids, no one wants Courtney to fail. Personally, I would like him to check his ego and continue to grow and mature as a coach.

Posted by: Jomo_Kenyatta ()
Date: November 03, 2012 07:39PM

Its amazing that NO ONE... NO ONE has acknowledged that MV would not have a team if not for Stan King and Dan Allen's development of these kids in AAU. MV's eight best players have been coached by Stan and Dan. That is a FACT.

Plus, Courtney is using a thread that shits on the two people who has done the most for his program and the kids in his program to cry about a coach wanting use a player.

That's either fucking stupid or just BITCH-LICIOUS!!!

C'mon, Man!

Date: November 03, 2012 10:48PM

Wow, what a bunch of crap being said. First Dan cares about nothing but the score. Screams at his kid about any little mistake they make then always tries to make it about him by getting all over the referees. Stan devoloped those kids Dan chases them away. Just look at dans daughter. She does nothing as a player but complains all the time to try and get her way.
The facts are Dan told the player not to play for her season about to start high school team but to play for her out of season AAU team and high school coach called him on it.

Posted by: Not a fan of Dan ()
Date: November 04, 2012 02:36PM

Dan did coach Stan's elite team when they sucked. When they got better Stan took over. Stan had no interest in developing the girls. Prior to that Stan had only coached his daughter's aau team, Mount Vernon or other high school age teams. He saw that some of Dan's team could help his high school team so he told Dan you take the 6th graders I will take the 7th graders. When his wife became principal he could no longer coach. He would later convince two of the girls from his aau team to transfer from their base schools of Edison and South County to play at Mount Vernon. I am not saying either of those schools are a Thomas Jefferson. they are way better than Mount Vernon so why would you transport your kid daily to get less of an education? Basketball was the only reason regardless of what was on the pupil placement forms. He also moved 2 b team kids from his AAU team up to his A team be because they were Mount Vernon kids. He talks to the High school coach almost daily. The Mount Vernon coach is at most of Stan's AAU practices and gets up to show places with his girls. That is totally against the VHSL rules. Stan runs his practices on opposite days of the high school program so those girls won't miss stuff at their high school. He does not do that for any other school. Courtney tells Stan what he wants and that's what gets done. However I can't stand Dan he acts like a jerk especially when he's losing. Still I will give credit where it's due.

Posted by: Correction ()
Date: November 04, 2012 02:37PM

He gets up to show plays to the AAU team with the members of his high school team.

Date: November 04, 2012 05:00PM

If this is happening and so many know about it this needs to be reported not just posted here. High school coaches can coach AAU teams as long as there is not more then 1/3 players on team going to their school. Report this, do not just bitch about it. Report Edison at the same time as they too are breaking many rules

Posted by: Report ()
Date: November 04, 2012 08:35PM

Report it to who for what reason? So the kids can't play? That seems fair adult breaks rules kids pay the price. No thanks. There were 12 kids on the team 5 went to Mt Vernon. Half of the team is Mt V players. What rule is Edison breaking?

Posted by: MV lying yet again ()
Date: November 05, 2012 07:58AM

Kind of comical that MV is saying that Stan developed Dan's girls. Stan has never coached most of Dan's girls. Why are you lying? Is it because Stan's team is done and won't be playing in the spring, and you have no place to play besides Dan with Cardinal? That must be it.

Posted by: Curtis_The_Frog ()
Date: November 05, 2012 02:44PM

AIN'T NOBODY running a Stan King practice but Stan King UNLESS he's been pulled away.

Not a fan of Dan Wrote:
> Dan did coach Stan's elite team when they sucked.
> When they got better Stan took over. Stan had no
> interest in developing the girls. Prior to that
> Stan had only coached his daughter's aau team,
> Mount Vernon or other high school age teams. He
> saw that some of Dan's team could help his high
> school team so he told Dan you take the 6th
> graders I will take the 7th graders. When his
> wife became principal he could no longer coach.
> He would later convince two of the girls from his
> aau team to transfer from their base schools of
> Edison and South County to play at Mount Vernon.
> I am not saying either of those schools are a
> Thomas Jefferson. they are way better than Mount
> Vernon so why would you transport your kid daily
> to get less of an education? Basketball was the
> only reason regardless of what was on the pupil
> placement forms. He also moved 2 b team kids from
> his AAU team up to his A team be because they were
> Mount Vernon kids. He talks to the High school
> coach almost daily. The Mount Vernon coach is at
> most of Stan's AAU practices and gets up to show
> places with his girls. That is totally against
> the VHSL rules. Stan runs his practices on
> opposite days of the high school program so those
> girls won't miss stuff at their high school. He
> does not do that for any other school. Courtney
> tells Stan what he wants and that's what gets
> done. However I can't stand Dan he acts like a
> jerk especially when he's losing. Still I will
> give credit where it's due.

Posted by: Everyday ()
Date: November 06, 2012 12:31AM

Everyday he was pulled away. He spent more time out of the gym then he did at practice. Start a drill and walk out. While Courtney and Carroll sat on the bleachers coaching. Ask anyone on the team who they are you think they know who the other players high school coaches are, they do not.

Date: November 06, 2012 08:17AM

Everyday Wrote:
> .... Ask anyone on the
> team who they are you think they know who the
> other players high school coaches are, they do
> not.

HUH?

Date: November 06, 2012 11:57AM

No Dan was told to take another team BECAUSE his parents voted him OUT as coach for the way he treated player. The end was at PVDQT where a dad was about to kick Dan's ass for yelling at his daughter over a mistake. GET YOUR FACT RIGHT. Oh by the way there are so many other teams to play for besides Cardinal and Dan would be the last coach on the list to play for

Posted by: Holy crap ()
Date: November 06, 2012 10:57PM

Wow Mt Vernon you don't have a clue. The parents did NOT vote him out. Stan didn't tell Dan to take another team. Why don't you go somewhere else, your lies are getting older by the second.

Date: November 13, 2012 10:05AM

No lies, just the truth.Sometimes the truth hurts but other must know. If you do not like what I write you do not have to read it. Very simple

Posted by: Holy Crap ()
Date: November 13, 2012 12:17PM

You are just out and out lying Mt Vernon. You look at the roster of his team now- 4 have been with him for 5+ years(all 4 varsity players since freshman year with numerous all district honors and all being looked at from D1 schools). From the team a few years ago- 2 went to play with teams their own age, 2 aren't playing AAU ball, 1 has been playing with several teams(and played with Dan this fall some), and 1 left(though she had an ACL injury this year). It was not the Parents voting him out at all. The roster just changed naturally(something every AAU team sees). It was not a parent vote or Stan taking his team.

You even go back to girls that left his team- pretty much any girl that played 2 years with him made varsity their freshman year. Fairfax, South County, Mt Vernon, Edison, St John's- you name it. I think it's something like 20/20 now. He knows how to train the girls.

And the girls that replaced the girls that left- 4 more all stars who have gotten all district honors- and are being looked at by D1 schools. And, several others who have made their high school teams and will do very well this year.

Dan will be coaching his team again this year as the top Cardinal team- Stan's team from last year is all graduated and won't be playing.

I have no problem at all with the truth. However Mt Vernon, what you are saying is absolutely not the truth at all. You are a total, unmitigated LIAR. In the words of a great movie- YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

Posted by: Parent of Former Cardinals ()
Date: April 16, 2015 05:27PM

The Cardinal AAU organization has done much more than teach my girls basketball. Stan and Dan both coached my daughters and they were given much more on and off court guidance than at any othr time. We were associated with an organization in the Tidewater area and the atmosphere was night and day. The Tidewater area was not about developing leaders...only players that would be one day division one players. Cardinal developed everyone who entered the door. Stan once said that it was more important for a young lady to get a degree than to play ball and would make more than most WNBA players in her first year out of college! Awesome guidance!!!

Posted by: Johnny da knife ()
Date: February 24, 2017 11:00AM

It’s rather simple, if you do not like someone’s coaching style then absolutely do not allow your child to be managed by that coach. On the other hand, if you want your child on a winning team that is structured around Marine style discipline and a winning attitude, then by all means let Dan Allen coach them. The choice is always yours, thus it makes any and all bitching unnecessary - And then there are those who are "naturally bitchy" :)

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.