HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Collections Agencies are getting Shady now!!!
Posted by: Jane Dough ()
Date: March 27, 2012 03:28PM

I MUST let you all know---

I just had a COLLECTION AGENCY contact me about a job-but they were REALLY looking for me to pay an old debt that is MORE THAN 10 years old therefore non-collectible!

He sent me an email asking about a "sales position" he had and he found me on careerbuilder.com. I quickly googled the company and turns out it is a COLLECTION AGENCY.

So I humored him- I used my google voice throwaway number and just called "Brian". At first he sounded legit, asking me to verify my name and address (he did NOT ask my SSN though).

Then he went on with a few questions trying to sound like he was prying to see where I was working now...... "oh yeah I see you used to work at x ok where are you working now?" In an effort to locate me I bet so they could try to sue/serve/garnish me!!!

I told him i was unemployed (not true, I did just get a new job last week but I am not telling him that!) and when I said that...."Well I am a debt collector trying to collect this debt and you have this debt from ABC company from 1999 we are trying to collect on for the amount of $887.28..." I said I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE of this debt, send me verification! And hung up. ZOMBIE DEBT COLLECTOR!!!

They TOOK MY RESUME off careerbuilder, FRAMED IT to look like they were calling me about a job, then WENT IN to collect from me. I wonder how many people they got with this scam!!!!!

I dont know if i can post the name of the company here but THIS is just TRIFLING how they did it! If i was naieve and did NOT google, I would have given him all my personal info thinking it was about a job (not my SSN just address and current employment and phone) and then they would have taken that info and harassed me with it!!!!

WATCH OUT JOBSEEKERS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Collections Agencies are getting Shady now!!!
Posted by: Man up ()
Date: March 27, 2012 03:38PM

Pay your debt and stop whining.

Posted by: Art Vandalay ()
Date: March 27, 2012 03:48PM

Another 'feel good' FFU story, tell that bastard that you owne ~880 dollars to shove it, you ain't need to pay it! You go, girl!!!!

Posted by: Collection Agency Hunter ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:02PM

What is the name of this collection agency?

They belong on the…

http://collectionagencyhallofshame.blogspot.com/

site.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:25PM

Do you actually have no knowledge of the debt, or were you just telling him that?

Even if legally time has elapsed, morally I think you're obligated to pay someone if you actually owe them money.

Posted by: Good for Them ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:26PM

So the deadbeat almost got scammed. What a travesty!

Posted by: he knew ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:50PM

snowdenscold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you actually have no knowledge of the debt, or
> were you just telling him that?
>
> Even if legally time has elapsed, morally I think
> you're obligated to pay someone if you actually
> owe them money.

Judging from how he knew every single detail of what was happening he knew. If he really didnt know he would have been wondering why a collection agency was calling him. And he wonders why they have to resort to such methods to collect money from over 10 years ago.......

Posted by: DickFor ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:52PM

National Recovery Agency has been calling and asking me to pay unpaid parking tickets from 2001 when I lived back in Florida. Its only $117, but c'mon, 11 years later you want it?

Anyone know if there is a SOL on unpaid parking tickets?

Debt collection companies buy debt from your said company for much less than what you owe. They will ALWAYS try to get the full amount and you can normally settle for much less.
Attachments:
debt collector.jpg

Posted by: Shifty ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:59PM

That is an illegal debt practice. Report the company. Every debt company must disclose they are seeking to collect a debt up front.

A debt company can also not contact any other person but the debtor to discuss the debt.

If the debt is over seven years old and not a school loan it uncollectable in VA.

Posted by: Art Vandalay ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:18PM

Shit, I wish I had known this stuff way back when I actually was stupid enough to pay back the money I had borrowed from people!! What a sap I was!!

Date: March 27, 2012 05:29PM

Art Vandalay Wrote:
> Shit, I wish I had known this stuff way back when
> I actually was stupid enough to pay back the money
> I had borrowed from people!! What a sap I was!!

Yeah, why be a decent human being (i.e. sap) when you can be a deadbeat jerk!

Posted by: pay yo bills ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:42PM

Im sure it more like this. Dont get mad because your past due.

I MUST let you all know---

I just had a COLLECTION AGENCY contact me about a job-but they were REALLY looking for me to pay an old debt that is 90 days past due!

He sent me an email asking about a "sales position" he had and he found me on careerbuilder.com. I quickly googled the company and turns out it is a COLLECTION AGENCY.

So I humored him- I used my google voice throwaway number and just called "Brian". At first he sounded legit, asking me to verify my name and address (he did NOT ask my SSN though).

Then he went on with a few questions trying to sound like he was prying to see where I was working now...... "oh yeah I see you used to work at x ok where are you working now?" In an effort to locate me I bet so they could try to sue/serve/garnish me!!!

I told him i was unemployed (which is true)and when I said that...."Well I am a debt collector trying to collect this debt and you have this debt from ABC company from 2012 we are trying to collect on for the amount of $8,887.28..." I said I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE of this debt, send me verification! And hung up. ZOMBIE DEBT COLLECTOR!!!

They TOOK MY RESUME off careerbuilder, FRAMED IT to look like they were calling me about a job, then WENT IN to collect from me. I wonder how many people they got with this scam!!!!!

I dont know if i can post the name of the company here but THIS is just TRIFLING how they did it! If i was naieve and did NOT google, I would have given him all my personal info thinking it was about a job (not my SSN just address and current employment and phone) and then they would have taken that info and harassed me with it!!!!

Posted by: Wiseguy ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:42PM

Screw those pricks. The credit card companies are the biggest thieves of all.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:45PM

Jane Dough Wrote:
> I just had a COLLECTION AGENCY contact me about a
> job-but they were REALLY looking for me to pay an
> old debt that is MORE THAN 10 years old therefore
> non-collectible!

>>> "...Be careful not to restart the statute of limitations. Anytime
>>> you take an action with an account, the statute of limitations is
>>> restarted. Making a payment, making a promise of payment, entering
>>> a payment agreement, or making a charge using the account can restart
>>> the statute of limitations on an account. When the clock restarts, it
>>> restarts at zero, no matter how much time had elapsed before the activity..."

http://credit.about.com/od/debtcollection/a/soflimitations.htm

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:58PM

all I know is that what Shifty said is legit

as a legal dept collection company, they gotta tell you what they are doing. I dont care if its 10 years or 90 days. - the Feds say so (The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), 15 U.S.C. § 1692 e)

DEBT COLLECTORS cannot lie. Same as ANY business. You can't professionally LIE about what you are doing. The also cant call you before 8AM or after 9

DEBT COLLECTION is a business, same as any other - and as such, need to be upheld to the same standards as other businesses.

to ppl who are debt collectors: You need to do your job HONESTLY and LEGALLY! (same as I and everybody else here gotta) cause if you dont, you are just some thug same as any other crook I dont care if they owe you money or not. You cant get to violate FEDERAL LAW just cause someone owes you change, yo

Posted by: WaterBug ()
Date: March 27, 2012 06:26PM

Correct, falsely identifying ones self as other than a debt collector is illegal and results in a $2500-$10,000 for the debt collection agency.

The collection agency is betting that the person who owes or use to owe the money doesn't know about the statue of limitation or the laws for collection debt.

Posted by: freddie t f l ()
Date: March 27, 2012 06:41PM

I have no knowledge of what it is like to not pay your bills. I just dont fit in here.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: March 27, 2012 07:05PM

freddie t f l Wrote:
> I have no knowledge of what it is like to not pay
> your bills...

Lol!

That is so very true - my parents, probably their parents, my family - never didn't pay bills...a totally alien-to-our-existence thing.

But interesting to look into, anyways, now and then.

==========

For pointed example, I read CNN and Yahoo news daily - they're frequently running articles like "How to raise your credit score" and "Don't hurt your credit score" and "Too little debt can hurt your credit score" ad nauseum.

I've never even thought about my credit score other than when reading these things. From the time I was a young pup right out of college to now...an old fart...I've simply bought what I wanted when I wanted (as long as WELL under buying ability) and consistently paid bills if any were generated.

Then again, I had a niece who could afford to have a credit limit of, like, $2000 and somehow managed to run up a total credit card bill of $60,000+ (if memory serves me right), so there ARE folks out there that do have to worry about collection agencies...

Posted by: ExactlyMyThoughts ()
Date: March 27, 2012 07:09PM

Man up Wrote:
> Pay your debt and stop whining.

Truth.

This thread is worthless.

Date: March 27, 2012 10:55PM

Olde Farte Wrote:

>
> For pointed example, I read CNN and Yahoo news
> daily - they're frequently running articles like
> "How to raise your credit score" and "Don't hurt
> your credit score" and "Too little debt can hurt
> your credit score" ad nauseum.
>
> I've never even thought about my credit score
> other than when reading these things. From the
> time I was a young pup right out of college to
> now...an old fart...I've simply bought what I
> wanted when I wanted (as long as WELL under buying
> ability) and consistently paid bills if any were
> generated.
>

I assume when they talk about having debt - it means mortgage, car loan, or student loans, and that you're paying it regularly (of course, I could be assuming wrong). I don't see how having CC debt that isn't paid off monthly can ever be a good thing.

Posted by: Dookster ()
Date: March 27, 2012 11:07PM

this is how i got out of a couple thousand dollars of debt. collector needs to have a temper for it to work.

ignored calls for a long time, never had a way to pay when i did answer. idiot rammed my car almost launching me into a pedestrian in the crosswalk (he was fast as shit lol). I accidentally answered the collector, he asked about money and i said it's not happening bc i was just in an accident and something else (i forget) he started to inquire and tried to "catch" me in a lie to make me pay. I called him out then he threatened that I was going to be sued, told me to have a nice life and hung up the phone. Called back for a supervisor "your mans just threatened me with a lawsuit, how much do you think you're collecting now?". . they cant legally intimidate like that.

Posted by: Easy Street ()
Date: March 27, 2012 11:14PM

Do what the rich people do and hire a lawyer to work out a bankrupty 7 or 10. A lot of rich people use this method to get rid of debt and then can start new line of credit. If you owe more than 10-50,000 this is a good option.

The lawyer will write up the paperwork, you sign it, pay him something like $2000 and wallaa, you're back on easy street keeping your BMW's, 5 bedroom house and pool. It also wipes your credit record clean.

Posted by: Harry sax ()
Date: March 27, 2012 11:29PM

I have Experienced this shit with an ex-girlfriend...You motherfuckers who overspend and just punt on life. I have to admit, An honest working man gets fucked.

As I sit, drink another beer and have a smoke, wondering how to make it all work, A plethora of you Fuck knuckles are living care free of the bills they have racked up.

Fuck, why can't I be so obtuse?

Posted by: Trumpetted ()
Date: March 27, 2012 11:37PM

Harry sax Wrote:
> I have Experienced this shit with an
> ex-girlfriend...You motherfuckers who overspend
> and just punt on life. I have to admit, An honest
> working man gets fucked.
>
> As I sit, drink another beer and have a smoke,
> wondering how to make it all work, A plethora of
> you Fuck knuckles are living care free of the
> bills they have racked up.
>
> Fuck, why can't I be so obtuse?

You don't get fucked. You just need to hire good accountants and lawyers that teach you how to get the most out of finance regulations.

You're stupid if you think work hard and put money in the bank is the way to get rich. Nobody EVER got rich doing that in America.

Hell Trump has filed personal and business bankrupty around 13 times. It all perfectly legal.

Posted by: stan666 ()
Date: March 28, 2012 05:18AM

I got similar calls, but they were fraud. They almost got me!
If you´re getting phone calls from unknown numbers anyway, you might first look them up on http://www.tellows.com. That's a site for free reverse number look up to detect phone spam. This is how I discovered I was getting scammed.

Posted by: donttalk ()
Date: March 28, 2012 06:21AM

I had one of these companies contact me for a debt I did not owe. It was for a bill from a local hospital that I didn't use. I told them to stop contacting me and they did. They usually have no documentation to back up what you owe, and even if you did owe the debt, the amounts are often innaccurate.

You need to tell them to stop contacting you.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.