HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS SB say screw it, we don't teach in June anyway, let's get this over with
Posted by: home alone ()
Date: March 26, 2012 12:56PM

Subject: Revision to the 2011-2012 School Calendar

School Board Action Required: Information

Background:

Schools will have completed 180 days of school as of Friday, June 15, 2012. This provides the School Board an opportunity to schedule the last day of school on this date and release students from school on the following Monday and Tuesday, June 18 and 19, 2012. The early release of students will provide teachers two additional workdays to complete end-of-year assignments, school improvement planning, teacher planning, and collaborative team planning, and any other workload relief that can be accomplished in the schools.

Key Points:

The proposed last full day for students is Friday, June 15, 2012. As of this time, there have not been any isolated instances of individual school closings so this end date would apply to all schools. Should any unforeseen emergency closings be required, all schools or individual schools may require additional make-up days.

Recommendation:

That the School Board reduce the 2011-2012 standard school year calendar by two days such that Friday, June 15, 2012, is the last full student day, and reassigning June 18 and 19 as teacher workdays.

---

We hit the bare minimum - let's get out of here! Could be the new FCPS slogan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS SB say screw it, we don't teach in June anyway, let's get this over with
Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: March 26, 2012 01:59PM

But hey - there's a bunch of movies we haven't shown yet!!!!

Re: FCPS SB say screw it, we don't teach in June anyway, let's get this over with
Posted by: Support personnel ()
Date: March 26, 2012 03:31PM

I am assuming that some support personnel such as bus drivers and cafeteria staff will lose out on two days of pay. I'd be pissed if I was one of them and that happens.

Posted by: poopstick ()
Date: March 26, 2012 06:06PM

I'm all for it if it'll keep em from bitching about their salary for a couple days.

Posted by: bus driver ()
Date: March 26, 2012 08:07PM

Support personnel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am assuming that some support personnel such as
> bus drivers and cafeteria staff will lose out on
> two days of pay. I'd be pissed if I was one of
> them and that happens.

Yes, that's what it means and it's most likely the reason they're going to do it.

Oh well, it won't be the first time they've pulled that trick. Maybe I can talk my summer job into letting me start work early?

Posted by: can't teach ()
Date: March 26, 2012 08:15PM

To bad the teachers don't know how to add 2 days of teaching, it must be on the test

Posted by: fcps whine show ()
Date: March 26, 2012 08:35PM

poopstick Wrote:
> I'm all for it if it'll keep em from bitching
> about their salary for a couple days.

But next year when they have to make up snow days at the end of the year the bitching will be even worse. They only want the freebies.

Posted by: teacher 6 years. ()
Date: March 26, 2012 08:49PM

fcps whine show Wrote:
> poopstick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm all for it if it'll keep em from bitching
> > about their salary for a couple days.
>
>
> But next year when they have to make up snow days
> at the end of the year the bitching will be even
> worse. They only want the freebies.

It's a cycle. Spend less on education now, spend more on jails and prisons later. The really smart and motivated people do not teach.

Posted by: Rambunctious ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:25PM

They don't teach anything once the SOLs are over

Posted by: usernmae44 ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:51PM

THEY ALREDLY STARTED SOL REVIEWING

Posted by: bus driver ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:55PM

We hit the bare minimum - let's get out of here! Could be the new FCPS slogan.
AND WE ARE NOT GETTING PAID THOSE DAYS. SMH FCPS

Posted by: Actually... ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:56PM

Rambunctious Wrote:
> They don't teach anything once the SOLs are over

Actually, I'm still in the system, but that's not true at all. For IB classes,
we do material the whole year through. And, last year, we did several math units
after we took the SOL.

Posted by: Ha ()
Date: March 27, 2012 06:34AM

Looks like you need the review...

Posted by: joyuyi ()
Date: March 27, 2012 07:37AM

THEY DON'T TEACH AFTER THE SOLS, WHATS THE POINT, kids need to get out, you are some bitchy people who hate kids

Posted by: stop loving tests ()
Date: March 27, 2012 07:54AM

We need to get rid of the SOLs. Plain and simple.

Posted by: home alone ()
Date: March 27, 2012 09:58AM

fcps whine show Wrote:
> poopstick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm all for it if it'll keep em from bitching
> > about their salary for a couple days.
>
>
> But next year when they have to make up snow days
> at the end of the year the bitching will be even
> worse. They only want the freebies.

As I recall, they pulled this trick a few years ago and then there was a big storm in May/June that results in lots of power outages and a 'snow' day. FCPS then has to go to the state for a waiver for the 180 day rule. Of course, actually working the full school year was never considered an option.

The way FCPS pisses away instruction time on field trips, assemblies, parties, post-SOL sloth, etc. is a financial and educational crime.

Posted by: Nick's got your back!!! ()
Date: March 27, 2012 08:46PM

I taught in FCPS for a year, and I've got a message for you teacher haters: Fist yourself.

First, let's make a universal deal. You keep your kids ears unplugged from their iPods and iPhones and make them keep their iPads at home, and I'll stop showing movies. You stop bitching and whining about why your kid failed a test or got a C in a class, and I'll keep teaching new shit until the last week of school.

Be honest with yourself Fairfax County, you like the longer school years because it's two additional weeks that you don't have to pay for day care or worry that your disrespectful kid isn't smoking your lawn clippings or banging the neighbor's 9th grade daughter.

Teachers get paid for teaching for a school year, and that encompasses whatever the school board deems as the academic year. Some of you work four days on and four days off or exchange a week of travel for additional vacation time (aka Comp Time)- these are part of your job and you get paid to do a job. Same with teaching. If the money's so great and the job is so easy, then you're the dipshit for not taking advantage of it.

Mafia Thug out!!!

Posted by: alfie ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:21PM

If you don't like the way the school year is, contact your school board member and get some action. Don't blame the teachers for how many days they teach. They do not control this---the school board does. This is all about saving money. Many "educational" decisions have nothing to do with education unfortunately.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.