HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
AOL Lays Off 200 Employees in NOVA
Posted by: Skippy ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:43AM

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/aol-layoffs-continue/#

AOL said it would lay off 1,000 employees on Thursday in the wake of its acquisition of news and commentary site The Huffington Post.

The cuts, which represent 20 percent of AOL’s work force, also include reductions in its operations in India.

“The changes we are making are not easy, but they are the right changes for the long-term health of the company, the brand and for our employees,” Tim Armstrong, AOL’s chief executive, said in a memo to employees.

AOL will eliminate 200 jobs in its editorial and technology units, including journalists and support staff. The move was expected following The Huffington Post acquisition, which closed on Monday.

The addition of The Huffington Post increases AOL’s emphasis on editorial content, a key component of Mr. Armstrong’s revival strategy as the company’s original dial-up online access business declines. But the Huffington Post acquisition also created redundancies with other AOL properties that, when eliminated, could save $20 million.

Mr. Armstrong offered no specifics in his memo as to which editorial properties would be impacted by the cuts. An AOL spokeswoman declined to comment.

As part of the restructuring, Mr. Armstrong said that AOL would rely less on freelance writers while increasing investment in its in-house editorial team. However, Seed, a service that solicits freelancers to write about a number of topics, will survive.

AOL said it would cut 400 jobs in India and shift another 300 jobs there to an outsourcing firm. It is not giving up on India, however. As part of the revamp, AOL said it would change the focus in India from back office support to creating new products for India and the rest of Asia.

Following the cuts AOL’s work force will number around 4,000.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AOL Lays Off 200 Employees in NOVA
Posted by: AOL is still in business? ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:47AM

I know that the Huffington Post is one of the top left-wing propaganda sites.

But WTF does AOL do to make money nowadays? Are they still an ISP? I haven't seen any of those 3.5 floppy disks in a while.

Date: March 26, 2012 10:50AM

If you work for AOL and don't have an updated resume, you are an idiot. I'm shocked it has survived this long. It's original business model has been dead since 2003. Not sure what it offers besides being an also-ran content provider. If it still has 4,000 employees, those people should expect to be jobless within the next two years, because I doubt AOL will last that long.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: eesh_likes_boys ()
Date: March 26, 2012 11:40AM

Why are you posting something from 3/10/2011?

Posted by: huh???? ()
Date: March 26, 2012 12:42PM

What's AOL?

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: March 26, 2012 01:03PM

AOL has been laying people off for the last 10 years. They've managed to buy up enough other companies to keep them floating since their ISP days, but this is no surprise.

Posted by: Its a mystery... ()
Date: March 26, 2012 01:41PM

I actually thought AOL had gone out of business years ago. But last month I was driving through Ashburn and saw a building with an orange AOL sign.

My first thought...how the hell are they still in business? Smoke and mirrors I suppose.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: March 26, 2012 01:44PM

I use their free online CDs for coasters.

Posted by: Steve Case ()
Date: March 26, 2012 01:52PM

:-)
Attachments:
giggling.gif

Posted by: Steve Case ()
Date: March 26, 2012 09:35PM

Ever since AOL decided it wanted to buy Huffington Post and become a part of the leftwing media propaganda team, I've been looking forward to the inevitable downward spiral. Sit back and enjoy, boys, it's gonna be a fun ride to hell!

Posted by: Journalist ()
Date: March 26, 2012 09:38PM

I will savor each and every layoff from AOL - the house of Obama worship.

Posted by: yellow journalism ()
Date: March 26, 2012 11:04PM

Journalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will savor each and every layoff from AOL - the
> house of Obama worship.

Same except with the Wash Post. Love to see their number of subscirbers going down.

Posted by: Nogoats ()
Date: March 26, 2012 11:50PM

Wow...great YEAR OLD info!

Just go here, http://www.businessinsider.com/sai

Search AOL, sort by date. Works for ANY IT(ish) company...little more up to date as well...editorial commentary can seem totally amateurish in some stories, but a decent site overall.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.