HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best time to take 267/I-66.
Posted by: Newbie2DC ()
Date: March 24, 2012 11:54PM

Hi,

I am coming to DC for a week for sight seeing. I am staying at Herndon, right next to Dulles Airport. I have 2 questions which I need help.

1. I can take 267E or I 66. Which is a better road to take in terms of less commute time?

2. Since I am in for sight seeing, I am flexible on timings. So whats the best time to take 267 (Towards DC and back home) What is the best time for 66?

Any pointers are thankfully accepted.

Many thanks,
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best time to take 267/I-66.
Posted by: Newbie2DC ()
Date: March 24, 2012 11:55PM

Hi,

I am coming to DC for a week for sight seeing. I am staying at Herndon, right next to Dulles Airport. I have 2 questions which I need help.

1. I can take 267E or I 66. Which is a better road to take in terms of less commute time?

2. Since I am in for sight seeing, I am flexible on timings. So whats the best time to take 267 (Towards DC and back home) What is the best time for 66?

Any pointers are thankfully accepted.

Many thanks,
Jim

Posted by: t ()
Date: March 25, 2012 12:07AM

If you want to drive 66E all the way into the city, you'll have to plan ahead a little. First, don't expect the trip to be fast anytime before about 9:30 or 10:00 in the morning on a weekday, or anytime after about 3:00pm. Also, you must have at least two people in the car -- or have a Virginia clean fuel license plate issued before 2006 -- to drive on the segment of 66E past the Beltway (I 495). Once you get into the city, you'll have to find parking, and that will be both difficult and expensive.

Your best bet from Herndon is to drive to the Vienna Metro stop and take the Metro into the city. Parking at the Metro stop will cost about $4.50, which you have to pay with a SmarTrip card (a card costs $10 and comes with $5 credited on the card; you can use it to pay for Metro fares too). Visit http://www.wmata.com/ to calculate the fares between Vienna and your destination.

Posted by: Lisa Baden ()
Date: March 25, 2012 12:08AM

Never, ever take I-66. I sucks. Always.

And stop double posting, bonehead.

Posted by: Your Moms ()
Date: March 25, 2012 01:32AM

Fuck driving to Vienna, go to the herndon/monroe park and ride. Used to be free parking. Take the ffx connector to west falls church or the 5A all the way to l'enfant plaza.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 25, 2012 06:36AM

Jimbo............LISTEN TO LISA!!! On both points LoLz. T is prolly right with the "easiest" way into the city from yr location.

and yourmoms: you know damn better than to tell some tourists to ride with commuters ALL THE WAY to L'enfant LoLz

Posted by: newbie2DC ()
Date: March 25, 2012 11:12AM

Lisa,

Did not mean to double post. The page popped twice with captcha and ended up posting twice. Thanks for the info though!

T,Gordon blvd, Yourmoms,Lisa,

Many thanks for inputs. How about me taking 267? Is that going to be as bad as 66? Is there a good time to take 267?

From Gordon Blvd post, I assume taking 5A is not a great idea for newbies like me. Been to New York and had some sketchy experiences on Metro :-)

Again, Thanks folks!

Posted by: curious ()
Date: March 25, 2012 02:13PM

Parking in DC will cost as much as Metro- have fun!

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: March 25, 2012 03:43PM

It's much cheaper and safer for you to park at the SPringfield Mall and walk over to the Springfield/Franconia Metro station. :)

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 25, 2012 08:07PM

@op- NOTHING is as bad as 66. But still, driving the toll road (that's what we call 267 - NOBODY calls it 267, really) is more like sticking your tongue on a hot stove - not really too smart nor too plesant LoLz

The REAL problem with driving into the city: to be honest, if you leave after 10 AM, 66 or 267 wont be too bad going INTO the city. However, the trip out in the afternoon is going to CRUSH YOUR SOUL!

This is why we are telling you to take the train from Vienna.

Posted by: tojar ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:28AM

I live near Herndon and have been commuting into DC for years. Somebody already mentioned the best way to get into DC: Herndon/Monroe Park N Ride (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/parkandrides/herndonmonroe.htm). It's probably a 5 minute drive from your hotel. Free parking at the park n ride. You'll take a bus to the West Falls Church Metro, and from there it's an easy cruise into the city. The Metro is very simple to ride; tons of tourists (many from overseas) navigate it without any problem.

If you're uncertain how to get from A to B, there are plenty of bus/Metro employees who can assist you. Some more pleasant than others, but most will help you navigate.

I wouldn't make that drive, especially if I weren't from here, unless you really like sitting in traffic.

Posted by: BG ()
Date: March 26, 2012 11:36PM

tojar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live near Herndon and have been commuting into
> DC for years. Somebody already mentioned the best
> way to get into DC: Herndon/Monroe Park N Ride
> (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/parkandrid
> es/herndonmonroe.htm). It's probably a 5 minute
> drive from your hotel. Free parking at the park n
> ride. You'll take a bus to the West Falls Church
> Metro, and from there it's an easy cruise into the
> city. The Metro is very simple to ride; tons of
> tourists (many from overseas) navigate it without
> any problem.
>
> If you're uncertain how to get from A to B, there
> are plenty of bus/Metro employees who can assist
> you. Some more pleasant than others, but most
> will help you navigate.
>
> I wouldn't make that drive, especially if I
> weren't from here, unless you really like sitting
> in traffic.

I'll second this. I don't go into DC that often, but this is my preferred method. There's actually a kiosk at the Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride where you can buy a SmarTrip card (a permanent, rechargeable farecard), which will save you money with lower bus and rail fares vs. paper farecards/cash (plus discounted transfers between bus and rail). The parking there is free, and buses run from 4:30 am until after midnight, with service every 6 minutes during rush hours. Bus and rail fare is probably cheaper than tolls ($2.25 each way) plus parking wherever you end up in DC. If you must drive, I would wait until at least 9:30am, after morning rush hour clears out, and same thing for afternoon - wait until after 7:00 to make the return trip.

Posted by: Nogoats ()
Date: March 27, 2012 12:07AM

4AM...seriously.

Posted by: 66 Sucks ()
Date: March 27, 2012 12:50AM

66 sucks sweaty balls, and so do the yuppie chumps in Arlington that prevent it from becomming any widener!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.