HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FFX County Middle School - Controversy over student's assignment to attack GOP campaigns
Posted by: FCPS Behaving Badly ()
Date: March 24, 2012 08:49AM

Controversy over student's assignment to attack GOP campaigns
Saturday - 3/24/2012, 7:48am ET
John Aaron, wtop.com
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=149&sid=2799829

WASHINGTON - Fairfax County's schools are getting national attention after a teacher had his students perform opposition research against Republican presidential candidates.

In a Civics honors class at Liberty Middle School, some students were instructed to write papers about each of the Republican candidates' weaknesses and to come up with attack strategies. Others were told to locate an office inside the Obama campaign to send the information to.

According to John Torre, spokesman for Fairfax County Schools, "the assignment itself was intended to teach students about the research process that a campaign committee goes through prior to an election," and students were never told to actually send the information out.

"No one was instructed to do that, and to my knowledge, no one did," he says.

An angry parent alerted The Daily Caller to the assignment. The story was then picked up by other national media outlets.

The response "has gone way beyond the [school] district in terms of the comments that we have received," Torre says.

He says the teacher has been advised to present the assignment "in a more balanced way" if it is done again in the future, and to "emphasize the assignment is about process and not picking sides."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FFX County Middle School - Controversy over student's assignment to attack GOP campaigns
Posted by: unacceptable answer ()
Date: March 24, 2012 09:12AM

It is very interesting to me that FCPS requires books to be approved, but cannot prevent a government teacher from presenting a political bias?

Re: FFX County Middle School - Controversy over student's assignment to attack GOP campaigns
Posted by: Oh Good, Another Repeat Topic! ()
Date: March 24, 2012 09:27AM

Man, the conservative message machine is in high gear! Aren't 3 threads on this topic already enough!

Posted by: a suggestion ()
Date: March 24, 2012 09:31AM

I don't like political bias on either side. This was clearly biased in Obama's favor--if not, he would have given the kids the option of doing opposition research on him, as well.

Or, for that matter. the teacher could have assigned Kaine vs Allen and let the kids choose which one to do opposition research on. That would probably have been okay with everyone-and frankly, more useful. We read lots less about them.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: March 24, 2012 09:44AM

>Man, the conservative message machine is in high gear! Aren't 3 threads on this topic already enough!

Yeah, WTF?!

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: March 24, 2012 09:47AM

Thanks for creating a new thread on this, I agree, screw all those people who already took time to comment on this in an existing thread!!!!!111!!!!!!

Date: March 24, 2012 10:11AM

justsayin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for creating a new thread on this, I agree,
> screw all those people who already took time to
> comment on this in an existing
> thread!!!!!111!!!!!!

I was just testing you to see if you could count to three. You are after all living in Fairfax County. LOL
Attachments:
Obama-Stupid.jpg

Posted by: yeps ()
Date: March 25, 2012 08:29AM

moron right wing trolls get a life

Date: March 25, 2012 08:40AM

yeps Wrote:
> moron right wing trolls get a life

:P

Posted by: ironic ()
Date: March 25, 2012 09:03AM

The ironic thing about this is that the teacher in question is easily one of the most conservative people I have ever met in my life.

Posted by: t ()
Date: March 25, 2012 09:31AM

So, who was the hysterical parent who ratted out the teacher to the Daily Caller? Instead of just talking with the teacher about it?

Posted by: Chairman Mao ()
Date: March 25, 2012 10:11AM

I am very proud of the teachers in America - they are all working diligently to provide proper political education, just as the media is doing. Good work, comrades!

Posted by: Mr. Insensitive ()
Date: March 25, 2012 10:51AM

t Wrote:
> So, who was the hysterical parent who ratted out
> the teacher to the Daily Caller? Instead of just
> talking with the teacher about it?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm going to guess its an angry soccer mom.
Attachments:
angry mom-1.jpg

Posted by: too ironic ()
Date: March 25, 2012 12:59PM

"The ironic thing about this is that the teacher in question is easily one of the most conservative people I have ever met in my life"

Spin and cover from a true left-wing Democrat.

Posted by: Sour grapes ()
Date: March 25, 2012 01:18PM

They are all worked up because they know there is NO WAY Romney or any of their other candidates can beat Obama. They don't have any enthusiasm for their people, so they continue to grasp at straws. It should be fun to watch them reach utter meltdown by next November. It reminds me of Clinton's re-election, which, by the way for those paying attention, went pretty well for everyone in the country but him.
This is just another example of the right wing war on teachers, cops, fire fighters, and others that make up the middle class majority in our country.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 26, 2012 05:59AM

this is just crazy

HOW CAN IT BE WRONG TO LOOK OVER REPUB CANDIDATES THIS YEAR!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

In case you havent noticed, it's the ONLY game in town this election year.

How yr gonna grill the teacher over that is beyond me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 06:02AM by Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: Sharon Bulova ()
Date: March 26, 2012 09:11AM

Our educational system is infested with leftwing political enforcers. Every teacher knows they'd be fired in a millisecond if they directed the students to do anything other than bow down and worship the Obamessiah.

Posted by: mrsb ()
Date: March 26, 2012 12:31PM

Just curious how you know that he is conservative? I'm not sure why a conservative teacher would assign students to dig up (and possibly send) negative information on GOP candidates and not on President Obama. Regardless of his own political affiliation, this assignment should have been balanced.

Posted by: mrsb ()
Date: March 26, 2012 12:33PM

It's not that it's wrong to look into Republican candidates. The thing that is wrong about this assignment is that it was ONE SIDED. If the teacher wanted to teach a civics lesson on elections he should have assigned half the class to look into the GOP candidates and the other half to look into President Obama and the Green (or other) Party candidate.

Posted by: good comment ()
Date: March 26, 2012 03:38PM

It's not that it's wrong to look into Republican candidates. The thing that is wrong about this assignment is that it was ONE SIDED. If the teacher wanted to teach a civics lesson on elections he should have assigned half the class to look into the GOP candidates and the other half to look into President Obama and the Green (or other) Party candidate.

+1000

Posted by: Baby Liberal ()
Date: March 26, 2012 03:55PM

good comment Wrote:
> It's not that it's wrong to look into Republican
> candidates. The thing that is wrong about this
> assignment is that it was ONE SIDED. If the
> teacher wanted to teach a civics lesson on
> elections he should have assigned half the class
> to look into the GOP candidates and the other half
> to look into President Obama and the Green (or
> other) Party candidate.
>
> +1000

Let's not forget that there are more than just (2) political parties. They could have made it an multi-party exercise. I'm certain that 90% or more of the population do not realize that there are many different political parties.

Posted by: leen ()
Date: March 27, 2012 09:48AM

Hey our middle school, Rocky Run, had a mock republican primary where students HAD to vote for one of the lame ass candidates. They could not abstain, as they would in real life, if there were real conservatives, not right wing crazy radical religious empty suits, as are the choices on the right this go round. Did I complain as a real blue dem, no, I just did it and puked.

Posted by: Stephen ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:00AM

I hate Republicans,they pushed for more gun sales per month, with the full knowlege that some of these guns were being used to kill New York city kids.

Posted by: kinh ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:01AM

I hate republicans too, they care more about vaginal probing (and not the good kind) than jobs.

Posted by: Mudshark ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:56PM

From Liberty's website. They spelled Government wrong! What a bunch of Doucebags!
Attachments:
Liberty.PNG

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.