HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
prequalified website for rental apartments?
Posted by: renter ()
Date: March 20, 2012 10:07AM

Hi, I am looking at an apartment and the owner wants me to fill this out - i am not comfortable with it, alarm bells ring, anyone got any experience with this?

https://www.prequalified.co/prequalify/sandrahall/Studio/14592

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: prequalified website for rental apartments?
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: March 20, 2012 10:23AM

I wouldn't like putting my person info on a ".co" site.

".co is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) assigned to the Republic of Colombia." - Wiki

If a company is going to do legit business with personal financial info from Americans, I'd expect it to at least get an American domain name. Not that .com means anything is legit, but it is at least a starting point.

If you have seen the property and have met the owner and they seem like legit people, tell them you aren't confident of the security of that site and ask to do something else, like view a copy of your credit report that you can get for free and print out.

PS - I forgot to add that I have heard of services that do this, so the concept itself isn't something I have a problem with. But if you are going to sign a rental agreement the owner will have a bunch of your personal info anyway, so in that case I'd like to keep things between renter and owner instead of adding a third attack vector for identity thieves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 10:30AM by justsayin.

Date: March 20, 2012 06:27PM

Don't do it.

It smells like a scam to me. I filled in info up to the point where I had to order my "free" credit report "with your 7-day ScoreSense® Trial." And there's an affiliate code, so at the very least they're helping sell "free" credit reports. But the information that's asked just isn't needed at this point.Good advice, too, from justsayin.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: March 20, 2012 07:29PM

FYI, .co domains are now supposed to be a replacement, or at least complement for .com names, since all the good ones ending in .com are long gone

http://www.godaddy.com/tlds/co-domain.aspx

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:01AM

Wonder how many idiots banking/checking accounts have been cleared out by now. I don't feel sorry for them. The dumb just keep on getting dumber.

My Chrome browser gives me the red x'ed HTTPS.

The site uses SSL, but Google Chrome has detected either high-risk insecure content on the page or problems with the site’s certificate. Don’t enter sensitive information on this page. Invalid certificate or other serious https issues could indicate that someone is attempting to tamper with your connection to the site.

I would expect at least the green https with the locked sign.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.