HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Elementary schools in Chantilly area?
Posted by: TCB ()
Date: March 26, 2008 08:50PM

What are people's experiences with the elementary schools in Chantilly? We moved to the area last year and have been renting, but we're looking to buy a house and our daughter will be going to school within the next few years. We recently saw a place we loved in Waverly Crossing, which is zoned for Brookfield ES. I know the middle and high school (Rocky Run and Chantilly) are supposed to be excellent so I was surprised to see that Brookfield's test scores were on the lower side. Any Brookfield parents want to share their experiences?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Elementary schools in Chantilly area?
Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:16PM

Brookfield area is got a lot of cheap housing.
I think you get the idea, closer to Staples area, etc.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:25PM

Brookfield is ghetto. poplar tree is for rich people. I went to Greenbriar East back in the day, a lot of minorities but overall a pretty good school

Posted by: SE ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:28PM

Lees Corner Elem (on the other side of Rt 50, in Chantilly Farms/Foxfield) is an excellent school with excellent staff. I went there yrs ago (when it first opened) and my Mom worked there for 15 yrs. I actually just went to the 20th anniversary there last June, and a ton of the original teachers are still there from when it opened in 87'. The neighborhoods on that side of 50 are far more nicer than the Brookfield side, IMO. Sorry Brookfield people :(

Posted by: TCB ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:31PM

Huh, thanks. I could tell Brookfield was an older neighborhood, but it seemed OK, and Waverly Crossing seems very nice and newer (I think it was built in the 80s?) Schools aside, are there problems in Waverly Crossing?

Posted by: Chantilly grad ()
Date: May 27, 2008 09:39PM

Chantilly is a wonderful place to visit this time of year.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 27, 2008 10:03PM

There are many people in Brookfield who are on the county's list to recieve free meals every week from charitiable organizations

Posted by: Brookfield resident ()
Date: May 28, 2008 12:43PM

Brookfield is a fine school with fine teachers. Everything that people have posted are true...the housing is cheaper which attracts lower income and immigrant families. The low test scores are a result of what the child can expand upon once home from school. In a lot of families, the children are the only ones who speak english...my daughter has a few friends like this...so when the children take home the work there is no one who can help them the way that they need. Case-in-point...Brookfield just got awarded a new Foriegn Language program that will begin next year teaching Kindergardners Spanish.

I grew up in this area and attended both Greenbriar East and Poplar Tree Elem. Schools, both of which were great schools. The only differences were the neighborhoods that fed them. The teachers at both were of high quality as are the teachers at Brookfield.

Posted by: lees corner ()
Date: May 28, 2008 01:47PM

Lees Corner would be your best bet for a good school. Brookfield is probably the trashiest school and my mom worked their for a year before realizing that. There was also a murder in brookfield last summer.

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: May 28, 2008 02:51PM

You don't get any better than Greenbirar East. Go Roadrunners!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.