HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Speeding on the beltway
Posted by: Gerry Conjob ()
Date: March 06, 2012 08:59PM

Anyone been pulled over by VA cop while speeding into Maryland? Can they force you to pull over if you're just about to leave VA into MD? If you don't stop, and continue into MD, will they catch up with you later? Do police bother enforcing speed limits on inner loop between GW Parkway and Clara Barton, or are we free to ratchet up to whatever the car will do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speeding on the beltway
Posted by: ducking ()
Date: March 06, 2012 09:20PM

Maryland cops can follow you into Virginia and shoot you to death.

Posted by: Idiots ()
Date: March 06, 2012 10:01PM

Go ahead and try that...

Actually, the officers call dispatch which inform the neighboring jurisdiction to take over the pursuit. It's a handoff, they don't just "stop" at the line.

Posted by: reality ()
Date: March 06, 2012 11:33PM

What? There is speeding on the beltway? ;)

Posted by: Speeder ()
Date: March 07, 2012 01:36AM

I love speeding on the downhill coming from md to va right before the Woodrow bridge(495). Never cops and if there are i am in va before they can pull out.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 07, 2012 01:59PM

Remember Speeder that the Virginia line is generally at the Virginia shoreline, and in at least one case even further than that. This gives a good deal of room especially on Woodrow wilson for the cops to have a run at you.

Posted by: jigga ()
Date: March 07, 2012 02:14PM

I've always wondered what's the protocol for this. For what it's worth a few weeks ago I actually saw a VA trooper with his lights on go on the bridge, but with traffic I couldn't see where he ended up.

Posted by: fuzz ()
Date: March 07, 2012 06:58PM

this isn't state info, but... Most mornings on Rt. 7 westbound, there is a FFX Revenuer shooting radar by the FFx County Pkwy underpass. He then proceeds into Loudoun to pull over the offending FFX revenue enhancer.

BTW, he IS a fat little bitch. Way too many donuts. (Sorry, I just had to)

Posted by: Not a lawyer ()
Date: March 07, 2012 07:51PM

I vaguely remember reading an article that cops can't pursue across state lines for a simple moving violation. If you just robbed a bank (or skipped out on your iHop tab), you're done. If they got you speeding, maybe you just keep going.

Posted by: they can ()
Date: March 07, 2012 07:55PM

If theyre in an active pursuit they can keep going. If its something serious theyll stick with it if its not usually theyll just stay with you until a cop from that state can take over.

Whether or not they would pursue for speeding is probably specific to the department. Some departments may have a standing policy not to as it isnt worth the hassle and some others may. With that said if your just a few over most cops probably wouldnt start a pursuit at the state line, but if youre really flying or its a wreckless/dui they almost certainly will

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.