HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VA State Officer
Posted by: DK ()
Date: March 21, 2008 10:32AM

So coming home last night around 7:00 pm from MD, I pass a state officer in Springfield giving a ticket to someone. Traffic is stop and go and as I am passing him we make eye contact. Kind of like the one where you know he's coming after you. Anyways minding my own business 4 miles down I take the Lorton Road Exit. Sure enough the state cop is right behind me. Make a right at the light and get into the far left lane. He pulls into the middle lane trying to get along side me. As soon as the lanes merged into one...the lights went on. So I pull over, turn off the car and roll down the window. I am driving my 2002 M5 with tinted windows and an aftermarket exhaust. Nothing that really stands out or makes a lot of noise.

So he states "I wanted to read your window tint to see if it is legal or not. Can you roll your window up halfway?" I am thinking to myself this officer chased me down 5-6 miles just for this. So he goes onto state that the legal limit for the front windows is 50% and mine was at about 35%. So he says your good to go.

I am all for officer keeping our streets safe but at the same time I am thinking to myself this officer is more worried about my window tint then the speeders and reckless drivers on I-95 during rush hour.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VA State Officer
Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: March 21, 2008 10:48AM

Is window tint violation a primary or secondary offense in VA?

Date: March 21, 2008 10:56AM

It's a non-moving violation. No points. Just a fix-it-ticket

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: March 21, 2008 11:07AM

Go to the eye doctor, tell him the sun hurts your eyes, and you wanted to get your car tinted.

My friend did this, has gotten pulled over a couple of times, where all he does is hand the cop the doctor note, and they are on the way.

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:32PM

You broke the first rule of driving. Never look directly at an officer.

It doesn't matter why you're looking, don't do it.

They will find a reason to follow you and then they will look for something to pull you over for.

I've been pulled over or followed every time I've forgotten that rule in the last 20+ years of driving.

You've made them notice you and they're thinking you must have something to hide since you appear to be watching them to see if they notice you.

Just don't look at them. A casual glance at the car and cop, fine, NEVER make eye contact. And NEVER stare.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: March 21, 2008 06:30PM

nakedshoplifter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is window tint violation a primary or secondary
> offense in VA?

Primary

And to the Original Poster, if your windows read 35% and the law says 50% min. transmission, you are illegal and got a break. 35% is the ammt. of light that transmited through by your statment, right?? Go buy a lottery ticket!

Posted by: HitTheBrakes(not!) ()
Date: March 22, 2008 12:27AM

Do they have equipment in their vehicles to measure percentage of transmission, or some related parameter? If so, that is nearly mind-blowing to me.

And, hopefully I am not stating the obvious, but if you ever encounter a surprise radar stakeout, do not hit your brakes, no matter how fast you might currently be traveling. (along the lines of 'never make eye contact with a trooper or other law enforcement officer'). It will only increase your chances of that officer deciding that you are the one he chooses to go after.

Posted by: omgwtf ()
Date: March 22, 2008 12:49PM

VA law is the tint can't be any darker than 50% on the front two windows and no less than 35% on the back windows (with a 7% tolerance, so you can go as low as 28% on the back). The law however, does make numerous exemptions to this...Limos and SUVs just to name a few.

Some officers have a tint meter that slids over the top of the glass and measures the amount of light that passes through.

DK was right...no points...

If you got a ticket, try fixing your tint rather than bitching about the police...and while your at it, fix your stupid aftermarket exhaust. Idiot. :)

Date: March 22, 2008 10:31PM

omgwtf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VA law is the tint can't be any darker than 50% on
> the front two windows and no less than 35% on the
> back windows (with a 7% tolerance, so you can go
> as low as 28% on the back). The law however, does
> make numerous exemptions to this...Limos and SUVs
> just to name a few.
>
> Some officers have a tint meter that slids over
> the top of the glass and measures the amount of
> light that passes through.
>
> DK was right...no points...
>
> If you got a ticket, try fixing your tint rather
> than bitching about the police...and while your at
> it, fix your stupid aftermarket exhaust. Idiot.
> :)

You need to go back and you read my original post. The cop did not give me a ticket after chasing me down 5 miles in rush hour traffic.

Posted by: projekt ()
Date: April 11, 2008 10:32PM

ask him for a meter gun

an officer is supposed to have one to measure the darkness of tint

if he/she is not equipped with one, gladly sign the citation and go to court

you're in the clear

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.