HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
‘Tebow’ bill to let home-schoolers play high school sport killed by VA Senate
Posted by: Vince Lombardi ()
Date: March 01, 2012 11:43AM

Hooray. The home-school families should not be allowed to pick a la carte from the public school menu, whether it's sports, band, chorus, science fair, theater, or dance. It's an all or nothing proposition. If you want your kids at home, them keep them at home. This would have opened the door for abuse via loopholes and for recruiting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ‘Tebow’ bill to let home-schoolers play high school sport killed by VA Senate
Posted by: Rick "Call Me Crazy" Sanitorium ()
Date: March 01, 2012 11:59AM

I never understood the purpose of this bill. Most home-schooled kids are either socially regressive nerds or naive robotrons, not many good athletes among the bunch. In addition, there's a multitude of youth club athletic programs (travel soccer, AAU basketball, Babe Ruth baseball, gymnastics, swimming, etc.), so if your child is an outstanding athlete, there are many other avenues to pursue outside of the public school arena.

Re: ‘Tebow’ bill to let home-schoolers play high school sport killed by VA Senate
Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: March 01, 2012 12:04PM

I disagree about your generalization of home-schooled kids. I happen to know several in the area that you'd never guess were home-schooled, but the plethora of youth club activities is not available in other parts of the state. That's why they wanted to pass it. If you're living in the southern or western part of the state, the choices are considerably less, and the schools aren't anywhere near as good as up here.

But I'm glad it didn't pass, I agree that if you want to home school, then home school. If you want to participate in the high school sports, then enroll in public school.

Posted by: village idiot ()
Date: March 01, 2012 01:18PM

I wouldn't have cared if it passed, I can't imagine there are enough home schoolers anyway that it would have made that much of a difference. It's not like the entire varsityy squad was going to be replaced by them. Plus, if I was a coach or a player and I had a chance to get a good player on my team to help us win, I would take it.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: March 01, 2012 02:12PM

village idiot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't have cared if it passed, I can't
> imagine there are enough home schoolers anyway
> that it would have made that much of a difference.
> It's not like the entire varsityy squad was going
> to be replaced by them. Plus, if I was a coach or
> a player and I had a chance to get a good player
> on my team to help us win, I would take it.

According to an article somewhere, there are about 30,000 home-schooled kids in Virginia - an insignificant number when split into school district and grade level, IMHO.

Posted by: no sympathy ()
Date: March 01, 2012 02:30PM

It's an insignificant number unless your kid is the one who is cut so the home schooled kid can be on the team. These high schools are BIG and it's very competitive to make a team as it is. There was going to be a problem with the VHSL rules regarding grades, classes, etc. It would not have been apples to apples. The sports exist because the school exists---not the other way around. The two are inextricably linked. Yes, it's the same for all other extracurricular activities---be it math league, the school play, or whatever. There are stand alone activities in the community as many have mentioned. If you want to do "stand alone" school, you have made your choice.

Posted by: no sympahty ()
Date: March 01, 2012 02:34PM

I also think that coming on the heels of the "ultrasound vote", this would have really pushed some more buttons and doomed many of the representatives in the next election. People already wonder if Virginia is going back to the 19th century. No schools and a strict morality police. Sounds like Afghanistan.

Posted by: hmmm ()
Date: March 01, 2012 02:48PM

I think it wrong to generalize about home schooled kids. I think this is so even though as a policy matter I think homeschooling a poor choice for many, including a majority of the families who engage in the practice.

In the recent times, two NCAA cross country champions have been home schooled. Both were from states which permitted home schooled athletes to participate in their local high school athletic programs. From what I can see, the local team, the kids on the local team, and the homes schooled athlete all benefited from the process. The home schooled athlete had to pay the cost of athletic participation, but that is a reasonable requirement.

The all or nothing mantra is just a theoretical statement. If it is good for the local teams (and the kid must truly be local), and the home schooled athletes benefit, and the families pay the freight, I just don't see the problem. Obviously there is a lesser need for a policy to permit home schooled participation in a sport like basketball, where sadly AAU team participation has become far more significant than high school team participation, or a sport like soccer, with an abundance of travel type teams. But there are a number of sports - track, football, lacrosse, and so on, where the action remains at the high school team level.

The meme that home schooled kids may not be well socialized may be accurate in some cases. But if that is so, wouldn't the right policy be to encourage these kids to participate in sports? It has to be a good way to socialize kids. Who is actually threatened by this?

Date: March 01, 2012 03:49PM

no sympathy wrote:
------------------------------------------------
"It's an insignificant number unless your kid is the one who is cut so the home schooled kid can be on the team. Etc.,,,,,,,"

Again, the coaches and other players on the team just want to win. If your kid is weak enough to be cut by a home schooler, then he is weak enough to be cut by any other talented kid who moves into the district. As for how it relates to a strict morality police and Afghanistan, I don't even see how that comes into play. I don't see it as a political issue at all, if a kid is gifted enough to play a sport, let them. How does that have anything to do with morality?

Posted by: crybaby ()
Date: March 01, 2012 03:51PM

no sympathy Wrote:
> It's an insignificant number unless your kid is
> the one who is cut so the home schooled kid can
> be on the team. These high schools are BIG and
> it's very competitive to make a team as it is.
> There was going to be a problem with the VHSL
> rules regarding grades, classes, etc. It would
> not have been apples to apples. The sports exist
> because the school exists---not the other way
> around. The two are inextricably linked. Yes,
> it's the same for all other extracurricular
> activities---be it math league, the school play,
> or whatever. There are stand alone activities in
> the community as many have mentioned. If you want
> to do "stand alone" school, you have made your
> choice.

Come on, are you really afraid Little Johnny Homeschooled is going to take your kids spot on the team? As long as he kid played at the School he or she would attend if not Home Schooled, where is the harm in letting them play? Kind of like life you are going to have to compete to get your spot, and competition will come from all different directions. A little more diversity for you diversity type folks!

Posted by: Drop'emAll ()
Date: March 01, 2012 03:58PM

I'm glad this bill didn't pass but then again I'm the sort who would do
away with all school sponsored extra-carricular activities. If they
want to participate in these sort of things let them do it on their
own time and their own dime.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: March 01, 2012 04:06PM

Its kind of a slap in the face as a taxpayer. These parents still pay taxes which are used by the school district. They should be to recieve some benefit of the school system.

Posted by: no it wouldnt ()
Date: March 01, 2012 04:45PM

no sympahty Wrote:
> I also think that coming on the heels of the
> "ultrasound vote", this would have really pushed
> some more buttons and doomed many of the
> representatives in the next election. People
> already wonder if Virginia is going back to the
> 19th century. No schools and a strict morality
> police. Sounds like Afghanistan.

This would have in no way shape or form changed a voters opinion of who they were going to vote for had they said home school kids can try out for teams in the school they would have attended.

Posted by: F1 ()
Date: March 01, 2012 05:28PM

Nobody "deserves" a spot on a team. You earn it. Unfortunately, some schools in the area have parents who buddy up with high school coaches and lock up spots for their kids while they are still in middle school. If the homeschool kids takes a spot, it is his/her's. Not "your" spot seeing you didn't earn it.

Posted by: F1 ()
Date: March 01, 2012 05:30PM

But I agree, if you want them to be homeschooled, they shouldn't play for a public school. If you want them to play for a public school, send them there.

Posted by: explaining ()
Date: March 01, 2012 05:33PM

"Come on, are you really afraid Little Johnny Homeschooled is going to take your kids spot on the team? As long as he kid played at the School he or she would attend if not Home Schooled, where is the harm in letting them play? Kind of like life you are going to have to compete to get your spot, and competition will come from all different directions. A little more diversity for you diversity type folks!"

No, I'm not afraid of "Little Johnny Homeschooled". My kid doesn't even play sports so it would not affect me personally. I agree that in life you will have to compete to get your spot, but apparently the home schooled kids would not have to compete in the academic arena (get the grade point that is required of the schooled kids to play sports). When you are in the school taking classes you have to maintain a 2.0 in order to play. How is anyone going to know what the grade point of the home schooled kids would be if they were in those classes? As I said, the school supports the sports (and not the other way around). One of the reasons for extracurricular activities like sports being attached to schools is to motivate kids to do well in their classes (otherwise they can't play). Are we supposed to accept the grades that kids get from their parents at home as being in the same competitive league as the grades that kids have to work for in the school (where teachers who are not related grade them)?? That doesn't seem quite fair and you did say that life is about competing for things with the same rules.

Posted by: explaining ()
Date: March 01, 2012 05:39PM

It also sounds like you don't like diversity when you say "you diversity type folks". Are you homeschooling to keep your kids away from certain people?

That's another reason for public schools---to get people to work together in this country.

Posted by: Casey II ()
Date: March 01, 2012 06:40PM

It is hard enough to make the team and now I must compete with kids who have no school spirit. Will HS kids be allowed to try for cheerleading too. I am glad this did not pass.

Posted by: Harry Bloom ()
Date: March 01, 2012 07:13PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Its kind of a slap in the face as a taxpayer.
> These parents still pay taxes which are used by
> the school district. They should be to recieve
> some benefit of the school system.

Parents of home schooled children CHOOSE to not take advantage of what their tax dollars are paying for...no one is forcing them to not receive the "benefits" of the public schools.

Posted by: Dick ()
Date: March 01, 2012 07:39PM

This is a really dumb law. In NOVA, there is no reason to not go to public schools. I'm glad it's done for now.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: March 01, 2012 07:40PM

Harry Bloom Wrote:
> Hay Zeus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Its kind of a slap in the face as a taxpayer.
> > These parents still pay taxes which are used by
> > the school district. They should be to recieve
> > some benefit of the school system.
>
> Parents of home schooled children CHOOSE to not
> take advantage of what their tax dollars are
> paying for...no one is forcing them to not receive
> the "benefits" of the public schools.

People home school their kids for all sorts of reason, some more justified then others.

Maybe some parents homeschool their kids because its dyslexic, allergies, adhd etc. and by homeschooling that child they are actually relieving the school system of having to accommodate the child.

But not thinking is so much easier.

Date: March 01, 2012 07:42PM

explaining wrote:
-------------------------------------------
",,,,,,,,the home schooled kids would not have to compete in the academic arena (get the grade point that is required of the schooled kids to play sports). When you are in the school taking classes you have to maintain a 2.0 in order to play. How is anyone going to know what the grade point of the home schooled kids would be if they were in those classes? As I said, the school supports the sports (and not the other way around). One of the reasons for extracurricular activities like sports being attached to schools is to motivate kids to do well in their classes (otherwise they can't play). Are we supposed to accept the grades that kids get from their parents at home as being in the same competitive league as the grades that kids have to work for in the school (where teachers who are not related grade them)?? "

I don't have school aged kids, but this logic makes me laugh. Every year the home school kids crush the rest of the country in that national spelling bee. Seriously, when was the last time a public school student won that thing? While I'm sure there are exceptions, I seriously doubt the low grade thing would affect those kids.

Posted by: Harry Bloom ()
Date: March 01, 2012 07:55PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Harry Bloom Wrote:
> -----
> > Hay Zeus Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Its kind of a slap in the face as a taxpayer.
> > > These parents still pay taxes which are used
> by
> > > the school district. They should be to
> recieve
> > > some benefit of the school system.
> >
> > Parents of home schooled children CHOOSE to not
> > take advantage of what their tax dollars are
> > paying for...no one is forcing them to not
> receive
> > the "benefits" of the public schools.
>
> People home school their kids for all sorts of
> reason, some more justified then others.
>
> Maybe some parents homeschool their kids because
> its dyslexic, allergies, adhd etc. and by
> homeschooling that child they are actually
> relieving the school system of having to
> accommodate the child.
>
> But not thinking is so much easier.

I am not saying that there aren't lots of good reasons...I am just saying that it is a CHOICE...and I doubt that relieving the school system of their children is very high on the list of considerations when making that CHOICE.

Posted by: wise guy ()
Date: March 01, 2012 08:57PM

village idiot wrote:

"While I'm sure there are exceptions, I seriously doubt the low grade thing would affect those kids."

Those kids would be the exceptions Mr. Village Idiot. This is what this whole thing is about. What would stop a kid from deciding to be home schooled in order to make the team (because his/her regular school grades weren't cutting it). Don't laugh too hard about the spelling bee kids. We are not talking about the spelling bee here. Lots of kids are home schooled and they're not all geniuses.

Posted by: wise guy ()
Date: March 01, 2012 09:01PM

Actually the spelling bee is a good example of home schooled kids who don't have to go to classes every day and can spend as much time as they want studying for the spelling bee. If those kids had to attend school and do other homework, they probably wouldn't be acing the spelling bee. Spelling might be impressive, but we've got spellchecker now. The same advantage would apply to sports.

Also---how about kids in private school---should they be allowed to play on public school teams? Their parents pay taxes also.

Posted by: Nut ()
Date: March 02, 2012 08:04AM

Rick "Call Me Crazy" Sanitorium Wrote:
> I never understood the purpose of this bill. Most
> home-schooled kids are either socially regressive
> nerds or naive robotrons, not many good athletes
> among the bunch. In addition, there's a multitude
> of youth club athletic programs (travel soccer,
> AAU basketball, Babe Ruth baseball, gymnastics,
> swimming, etc.), so if your child is an
> outstanding athlete, there are many other avenues
> to pursue outside of the public school arena.

Actually it seems most are homeschooled because their parents are religious lunatics. There might be "gays" at that school.

Posted by: should we all just stay home ()
Date: March 02, 2012 11:13PM

My son knows some home schooled kids who come in to take just one class in his school. He says that they're all "weird", have no friends, can't relate to other kids, etc.

I wonder if we should be encouraging more home schooling . . . is this good preparation for participating in society?

Posted by: Wowzer ()
Date: March 03, 2012 06:02AM

should we all just stay home Wrote:
> My son knows some home schooled kids who come in
> to take just one class in his school. He says
> that they're all "weird", have no friends, can't
> relate to other kids, etc.
>
> I wonder if we should be encouraging more home
> schooling . . . is this good preparation for
> participating in society?

No, but it is a really good way to prepare kids to be intolerant of and to avoid anything or anyone who does not believe what they do.

Posted by: Henlarious ()
Date: March 03, 2012 12:39PM

While I support that home schooled kids should be able to play sports, it's not fair for those kids to be playing for a school they are not associated with. If the parents want to place their kids in that position, the parents are to blame.

Re: ‘Tebow’ bill to let home-schoolers play high school sport Passed VA House of Delegates
Posted by: Time's Elbow ()
Date: January 26, 2017 02:11PM

Round 2 ... When Ed Gillespie is elected Governor this Fall I expect this will be signed into Law.
Options are nice. Though most home school parents I know don't want their kids associated with public schools, there are few whose kids are outstanding athletes and wouldn't mind the option to truly compete.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/article_48adf34c-6df9-5743-879f-bfca341b8e6d.html

Posted by: Water Boy ()
Date: January 26, 2017 02:18PM

Well, 6 years after this issue first arose. We'll see what happens, but McAuliffe says he will veto it again as his views haven't changed.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 26, 2017 02:41PM

I would not object to the idea that teams composed of home school students be allowed to compete in VHSL games. However I don't agree with the idea of allowing home schooled kids or kids attending private school to "opt in" to the public school system for certain activities.

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: January 26, 2017 03:49PM

Um, yeah...here's a newsflash...the best high school athletes in the country don't play sports in the public school system.

Posted by: truth out ()
Date: January 26, 2017 07:44PM

how dare you speak truth to brainwashed snowflakes !
best players are recruited by private schools where they get showcased for college scholarships...

if the homeschooled get NOTHING from public schools (which they are saving over 10,000) for every kid they home school, then they should get some of their tax money back...

piece o shit atheists/satanists have destroyed public schools to where it just prepares children to be slaves of the new world order

Huh??? Wrote:
> Um, yeah...here's a newsflash...the best high
> school athletes in the country don't play sports
> in the public school system.

Posted by: Cuntryboy ()
Date: January 26, 2017 07:49PM

village idiot Wrote:
> I wouldn't have cared if it passed, I can't
> imagine there are enough home schoolers anyway
> that it would have made that much of a difference.
> It's not like the entire varsityy squad was going
> to be replaced by them. Plus, if I was a coach or
> a player and I had a chance to get a good player
> on my team to help us win, I would take it.

As a high school teacher in Stafford I can tell you that if this bill HAD passed, the squad would have become all homeschoolers. This would happen not because current homeschool kids would come in, but rather the current kids would withdraw and become homeschool kids. Then the dumb jocks would not be subject to academic and disciplinary standards.

Posted by: Attach a File .... ()
Date: January 26, 2017 07:49PM

Virginia is about the only state that does not allow home-schooled kids to play for their local high school. It is extremely backwards and Neanderthal. VA should come out of the Stone Age and join the rest of the Union.

Posted by: HvHhD ()
Date: January 26, 2017 08:17PM

typical hateful fag snowflake...

very few would drop out like you lied...and if they did, you should be happy because they wouldn't be treating you like the fag beta male you are at school

Cuntryboy Wrote:
> village idiot Wrote:
> -----
> > I wouldn't have cared if it passed, I can't
> > imagine there are enough home schoolers anyway
> > that it would have made that much of a
> difference.
> > It's not like the entire varsityy squad was
> going
> > to be replaced by them. Plus, if I was a coach
> or
> > a player and I had a chance to get a good
> player
> > on my team to help us win, I would take it.
>
> As a high school teacher in Stafford I can tell
> you that if this bill HAD passed, the squad would
> have become all homeschoolers. This would happen
> not because current homeschool kids would come in,
> but rather the current kids would withdraw and
> become homeschool kids. Then the dumb jocks would
> not be subject to academic and disciplinary
> standards.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.