HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Apartment rental security deposit
Posted by: Renter ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:58PM

Can a rental agency bill me for any amount above my security deposit with them?
Say my deposit is $150
and they decided that apartment cleaning is gonna cost them $200

Can they bill me for remaining $50?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apartment rental security deposit
Posted by: easyanswer ()
Date: February 29, 2012 02:28PM

yes.

Posted by: Landlord ()
Date: February 29, 2012 02:42PM

Sure they can. Whether they choose to do so, and whether you decide to pay, is a different matter, however. If you don't pay the difference, then they can take you to small claims court. But they're not going to do that for $50, unless the time and expense to aggravate you is worth it to them (in other words, unless you're a dick).

I'm betting that your real security deposit was not $150 - more like $1,500. And the issue is probably not "cleaning" - more like "removing a truckload of crap" from the place (which can get VERY expensive).

But you can eliminate this possibility to begin with. Most leases require that you leave the place "broom clean". If you don't want to do that, then hire a cleaning service to do it for you. But I suspect that there's more to this story...

Posted by: buck fitty ()
Date: February 29, 2012 02:42PM

If the security deposit is only $150, the place must be a shithole.

Posted by: renter as well ()
Date: February 29, 2012 02:59PM

They won't even bother with small claims. even though the letter might threaten it. what they will do is send it off to a collection agency. (far worse IMO) where it will sit. this is especially dangerous if the landlord fails to send the collection agency your forwarding address, and fails to tell you that it was sent off. i.e. it will go into your credit history and you'll still have to pay, plus fees.

my advice:
-call them 1 month before you move out. tell them you would like to be present during the walk through (after your things have been removed) schedule it.
- call to verify the appointment a few days before.
- show up early and sit in their office.
- do the walk through with them. argue everything they point out as normal wear and tear. bring a camera.

i did this and was billed nothing even though i had punched holes in the walls, broken several blinds, ripped up whole sections of carpet, and broken a door. they must have been intimidated by me being there with them.

Posted by: Landlord ()
Date: February 29, 2012 03:37PM

Renter as well...you sound like a peach. That's great - intimidate the landlord. That would just make me want to crucify you. So you punched holes in the wall, ripped up carpet (WTF???), and broke a door. Lovely. And you're probably one of the people on here bitching about how high the rent is.

By the way, I've never had to go to small claims, but thanks for the tip about the collection agency! I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I run into someone like you.

Posted by: I love small claims court ()
Date: February 29, 2012 04:08PM

Renters are scumbags. I always go after money owed for damages and I have won each time. Now I chrage really high rent and I have great tenets. Go figure!

Posted by: kim ()
Date: February 29, 2012 05:32PM

They can and will do whatever the hell they please under this current administration. Its dog eat dog and there is nothing you can do.

Posted by: You're an Idiot ()
Date: February 29, 2012 06:05PM

kim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They can and will do whatever the hell they please
> under this current administration. Its dog eat dog
> and there is nothing you can do.

WTF does the Obama administration have to do with rent? Is there anything you DON'T blame Obama for?

Posted by: Kim ()
Date: March 02, 2012 05:13PM

You're an Idiot wrote
WTF does the Obama administration have to do with rent? Is there anything you DON'T blame Obama for?

What the Fuck he is a nigger

Date: March 02, 2012 05:29PM

Renter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can a rental agency bill me for any amount above
> my security deposit with them?
> Say my deposit is $150
> and they decided that apartment cleaning is gonna
> cost them $200
>
> Can they bill me for remaining $50?

Absolutely. And as other posters noted, they can set up a negative item in your credit file. That often makes waves on any future rental chances (especially apartments that are in complexes run by the large property chains (Avalon, etc.)).

Pay it or prepare for a very long stretch in your current apartment.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: qoiuroqwu ()
Date: March 02, 2012 06:27PM

They can sue you for any amount of damages or late fees that you have incurred, it is certainly not limited by your security deposit, they they can get a warrant in debt and then garnish your wages, not that difficult.

Posted by: errrrr ()
Date: March 02, 2012 07:29PM

how the FUCK do you think they make money, they have two sources of income you and the landlord.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.