HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Restaurant meals tax in Fairfax?
Posted by: Don'tTaxMeBro' ()
Date: February 26, 2012 01:13PM

Hang it up Herrity. We need to spend less money on illegal aliens
and politically correct programs in the schools. FTS

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=120&sid=2762715

Fairfax looks to meals tax to fatten transportation budget

Sunday - 2/26/2012, 12:14pm ET

Hank Silverberg, wtop.com

WASHINGTON - Would you pay more to eat dinner if the extra money would help ease your commute?

Fairfax County is again considering a 4 percent tax on meals at restaurants to help raise money for transportation.

Supervisor Pat Herrity says Fairfax County needs $3 billion dollars to meet transportation demands over the next decade, but a meals tax is not the answer.

"It's failed twice before and I don't see the sentiment changed", says Herrity.

Voters rejected the tax on meals in a 1992 referendum and the Board of Supervisors rejected it again in 2010.

To impose a meals tax to raise an estimated $80 million a year, Fairfax County needs either approval from the General Assembly which is unlikely in the current anti-tax climate in Richmond, or a "Yes" vote in a referendum of voters.

Herrity says time is running out to raise money for several key transportation projects. They include the second phase of Metro expansion to Dulles International Airport and upgrading roads around Tysons Corner to handle the downtown, high density type of development that the county is aiming for.

"We've got ourselves backed into a corner," says Herrity. He says developers should be paying for more of the necessary transportation improvements.

Follow Hank and WTOP on Twitter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Restaurant meals tax in Fairfax?
Posted by: Metro boondoggle ()
Date: February 26, 2012 01:38PM

"They include the second phase of Metro expansion to Dulles International Airport and upgrading roads around Tysons Corner to handle the downtown, high density type of development that the county is aiming for."

Free parking in Tysons Corner should be replaced by meters and commercial parking garages.

Posted by: Don'tTaxMeBro' ()
Date: February 26, 2012 01:54PM

Metro boondoggle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "They include the second phase of Metro expansion
> to Dulles International Airport and upgrading
> roads around Tysons Corner to handle the downtown,
> high density type of development that the county
> is aiming for."
>
> Free parking in Tysons Corner should be replaced
> by meters and commercial parking garages.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I can hear the howling from the
store owners already.

Posted by: Hi kaon ()
Date: February 26, 2012 03:43PM

There is no logic nor a link between restaurants and transportation. Why should restaurant patrons get slapped with a 4% tax? Raise the price on metro tickets. Let the users of the rail system pay.

They didn't think this through if they are needing a 4% restaurant tax to foot the bill for this mess. What a shame.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: February 26, 2012 05:20PM

So glad I live close to the Loudoun line. Lot's of fine places out Rte. 7 in Loudoun.

Posted by: say ()
Date: February 26, 2012 07:20PM

This is my favorite kind of tax. The kind that is easily avoided. I haven't eaten in a restaurant in 30 years or more.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.