HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How do I get from knowing nothing about guns to being able to conceal carry without shooting myself?
Posted by: VirginiaArms ()
Date: February 24, 2012 04:46PM

So I know nothing about guns other than the obvious parts.

I've decided I want to start carrying a gun on me. I have my own reasons for this.

So what do I do?
Are there classes to take? Where at?

I have a clean record. Are the background checks? What's the time frame from deciding on a gun to purchase and being able to carry?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I get from knowing nothing about guns to being able to conceal carry without shooting myself?
Posted by: 6X ()
Date: February 24, 2012 04:54PM

You sound like someone that WILL shoot yourself in the foot, but here you go.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 06:32PM by 6X.

Re: How do I get from knowing nothing about guns to being able to conceal carry without shooting myself?
Posted by: NRC ()
Date: February 24, 2012 04:55PM

You have to have experience (military or police) or take a class; the NRA can direct you to training. Look concealed carry on the police website; they will tell you all you want to know. Trust them before you trust the info you get here; including me.

Posted by: guns ()
Date: February 24, 2012 04:58PM

You can buy one anywhere with now time frame. From when you complete the necessary class and submit the application itll be 6-8 weeks maybe longer before you get the permit. You wont be able to conceal carry till you get the permit. It wont be laminated either so I would laminate it when you get it.

You can go to blue ridge and rent guns and shoot to practice or you can get the gun you want and you can go shoot at the NRA Range in fairfax with it, they just dont rent guns. Both have concealed carry classes, I would recommend the NRA range ones as they are much more professional and knowledgeable. You can go in and get a class schedule from them or check their website.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/events.asp

In all youre probably looking at 2-3 months from today till you would have a concealed carry.

Posted by: bang ()
Date: February 24, 2012 05:19PM

Don't half-ass the training. Go here and you'll learn everything you need. Good instructor.

http://www.concealedcarryacademy.com/

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: February 24, 2012 06:14PM

Go to one of the gun shops and ask them. They're very helpful.

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: February 24, 2012 06:26PM

You have a whole host of options, from having the NRA in your backyard to multiple ranges around the area. I took my concealed carry class at Blue Ridge out in Chantilly, class was very educational, even for someone who had been a gun owner for over six years.

Posted by: wooo ()
Date: February 24, 2012 06:59PM

Having the NRA range in Fairfax is full of win, but the wait to get a lane can be horrible. We need more ranges built.

...and we need Blue Ridge Arsenal to close.

Posted by: Too bad ()
Date: February 24, 2012 08:21PM

wooo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having the NRA range in Fairfax is full of win,
> but the wait to get a lane can be horrible. We
> need more ranges built.
>
>
> ...and we need Blue Ridge Arsenal to close.

Too bad I didn't shoot when I lived across the street from the NRA.

And posts like this are why despite being a 2A supporter, I think the concealed carry permit should be a little harder to get.

Posted by: Skeptical ()
Date: February 24, 2012 08:29PM

bang Wrote:
> Don't half-ass the training. Go here and you'll
> learn everything you need. Good instructor.
>
> http://www.concealedcarryacademy.com/

This actually looks great. Website is a bit hokey though. I need to check it out some more. Looks too straight forward to be true.

Posted by: 7bkwG ()
Date: February 25, 2012 06:28AM

I'm amazed that people are treating you seriously. You sound like a big douchebag who is probably not even 18. The first thing you should do when you get a gun is kill yourself so you don't endanger others.

Seriously? You came here for advice on that? Fuck you.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 25, 2012 07:25AM

hey 7b..................
Attachments:
try decaf.jpg

Posted by: Common sense ()
Date: February 25, 2012 07:36AM

Most Guns should be banned. Only military and police need em. For everyday citizens would legalize a .22 hunting rifle and ban the rest.

Now watch the rednecks come on here and freak out.

Posted by: Fruppie ()
Date: February 25, 2012 08:49AM

Common sense Wrote:
> Most Guns should be banned. Only military and
> police need em. For everyday citizens would
> legalize a .22 hunting rifle and ban the rest.
>
> Now watch the rednecks come on here and freak out.

That's stupid.

Posted by: Annie Oakley ()
Date: February 25, 2012 09:14AM

Common sense Wrote:
>

Two thirds of all firearm homicides are criminals killing other criminals. Why would we want to take away their guns?

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: February 25, 2012 10:35AM

Common sense Wrote:
>

Clearly someone who doesn't understand why we have the right to bear arms in this country.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: February 25, 2012 10:47AM

It doesn't take a lot more than common sense to handle a gun properly.

Don't point the end with the hole at anyone.

Don't pull the trigger unless you intend to shoot it.

Always assume it's loaded.

Not much more you need to stay safe than that.

Most gun shops will be able to point you to a handgun safety course, or you can visit here. http://www.nrahq.org/education/index.asp

Posted by: Bob Newhart ()
Date: February 25, 2012 11:10AM

Plaxico Burress can give you some pointers.

Posted by: Oxyclean ()
Date: February 25, 2012 11:10AM

Get a restraining order and a shotgun. You probably don't need to carry.

Posted by: great idea ()
Date: February 25, 2012 11:25AM

Common sense Wrote:
>

Banning guns ensures that only criminals have them, raises crime rates, allows dictatorships to come to/keep power, would put hunters out of work, would kill tourism in alaska/wyoming ect, and would cause a civil war. Other than that its a fantastic idea.

Just because you dont want to have guns doesnt mean you should try and take away everyone elses rights. And a .22 can only hunt squirrels/rabbits/snakes/birds. Have fun when the eco system is destroyed by over population of deer and people are crashing into them all the time without hunting to keep them somewhat under control since weve eliminated all their natural predators.

Date: February 25, 2012 11:26AM

Bob Newhart Wrote:
> Plaxico Burress can give you some pointers.

Posted by: The Tooth ()
Date: February 25, 2012 02:48PM

great idea Wrote:>
>
> >
> Just because you dont want to have guns doesnt
> mean you should try and take away everyone elses
> rights.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if only ALL republitards took that logic and applied it to things like abortion, marriage, medicare for all, etc....

Posted by: Tom Jefferson ()
Date: February 25, 2012 03:03PM

The Tooth Wrote:
> great idea Wrote:>
> >
> > >
> > Just because you dont want to have guns doesnt
> > mean you should try and take away everyone
> elses
> > rights.
> --------------------------------------------------
> -------------------
>
> Now if only ALL republitards took that logic and
> applied it to things like abortion, marriage,
> medicare for all, etc....

Read the 2nd Amendment dumbass. It doesn't mention any of the issues
you've mentioned.

Posted by: Outdated ()
Date: February 25, 2012 04:40PM

Screw the 2nd amendment! That document was written 250 yrs ago! The world and especially this country has changed a little bit since 1776. Get out of the past.

Posted by: Weather_Dud ()
Date: February 25, 2012 04:48PM

Cool. We'll nip the first and fourth amendments too. This way, the gov can come to your house, kick the door in, beat your senseless ass silly with your three-legged cat and duck tape your pie hole shut.

Get out of the past, eh?

Greece currently has openings for idiot citizens - go apply.

Posted by: Costello ()
Date: February 25, 2012 05:11PM

Greece in 2012???? Trying to bring our country up to date has nothing to do with what is happening currently in Greece. They arent broke because gays are allowed to marry or because dumb rednecks cant have guns.

But you may be onto something. The way some of these Neo-cons wants to take this country back in time, comparing 2013 America under Republican "leadership" to Greece in 500 BC makes a ton of sense.

Although thats probably not accuate. Even in 500BC they were probably less ignorant than today's republicans. Also, they were a pretty smart people, unlike most rednecks in the south and midwest. Even the ancient greeks knew that the idea of a man putting 2 of every animal and insect on a boat was comical. Hell, even Zeus was more believable than that.

Date: February 25, 2012 05:24PM

The Tooth Wrote:
> great idea Wrote:>
> >
> > >
> > Just because you dont want to have guns doesnt
> > mean you should try and take away everyone
> elses
> > rights.
> -------------------
>
> Now if only ALL republitards took that logic and
> applied it to things like abortion, marriage,
> medicare for all, etc....

Lets see the first thing I mention involved the 2nd Amendment.

Now the things you mentioned were murdering babies
Marriage which isnt a right
and Medicare for all aka take money from other people to pay for things from soneone else. Oh and everyone does get medicare once you reach the age of 65.

There is a gigantic difference with an actual right and something people would like to do.

Since you want to get rid of the 2nd amendment and think its fine to get rid of whatever amendments how would you feel about getting rid of the 13th 15th 19th and 24th amendments. You cant just pick and choose the ones you like as the ones that should be followed

Posted by: The Tooth ()
Date: February 25, 2012 05:34PM

great idea Wrote:
>
> Lets see the first thing I mention involved the
> 2nd Amendment.
>
> Now the things you mentioned were murdering
> babies
> Marriage which isnt a right
> and Medicare for all aka take money from other
> people to pay for things from soneone else. Oh
> and everyone does get medicare once you reach the
> age of 65.
>
> There is a gigantic difference with an actual
> right and something people would like to do.
>
> Since you want to get rid of the 2nd amendment and
> think its fine to get rid of whatever amendments
> how would you feel about getting rid of the 13th
> 15th 19th and 24th amendments. You cant just pick
> and choose the ones you like as the ones that
> should be followed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Murdering babies??? Might as well consider a guy masterbating as murder too. Funny that ight wingers get so upset about that but have no problem wanting to murder older American children by constantly calling for war despite the fact that most of the country being against it? Or not wanting to provide medical coverage for those sick and unable to qualify or afford it? Seems like the only ones republicans care about are the rich and the unborn. Strange.

And regarding guns, the 2nd amendment was written during a time when people had duels outside of saloons to settle arguements. Times have changed, chief. But then again, Republicans have a difficult time with coming to terms with the times changing. Hence their outrage when a black muslim was elected president.

Date: February 25, 2012 05:50PM

The Tooth Wrote:

> -----------------------
>
> Murdering babies??? Might as well consider a guy
> masterbating as murder too. Funny that ight
> wingers get so upset about that but have no
> problem wanting to murder older American children
> by constantly calling for war despite the fact
> that most of the country being against it? Or not
> wanting to provide medical coverage for those sick
> and unable to qualify or afford it? Seems like the
> only ones republicans care about are the rich and
> the unborn. Strange.

If hes masturbating onto a bunch of human egss then yes it would be.
I like how you down play what an abortion is even though you can get them up to 6 month into a pregnancy where a baby is more than viable outside the womb. Nothing you just said in that paragraph was true im done responding to that.

> And regarding guns, the 2nd amendment was written
> during a time when people had duels outside of
> saloons to settle arguements. Times have changed,
> chief. But then again, Republicans have a
> difficult time with coming to terms with the times
> changing. Hence their outrage when a black muslim
> was elected president.

That fact that you think there were saloons in the 13th colonies says enough. Those didnt comes until the 1800s in the west chief. When exactly do you think the 2nd amendment was passed?

Yep times are changing so lets just get rid of basic rights. Since you think every republican is racist that would mean a hell of a lot of people would want the 13, 15, and 24th ones changed. Times have changed remember all republicans are racists, so by your own logic those must now go. Your idea sounds just as stupid as that does

Posted by: ShootEmUp ()
Date: February 25, 2012 07:08PM

I just checked the website... if you were honorably discharged from the military you just need to show your DD-214 instead of taking the training. The permit is valid for five years.

Posted by: Retard ()
Date: February 25, 2012 10:36PM

Great another moron running around with a gun....

Posted by: Mikeymike ()
Date: February 26, 2012 05:31AM

I've been in the military twenty years and qualified as an "expert" shooter. I have no concealed weapons training and my minuscule contact with weapons over the years should not qualify me for any special treatment. What an odd law.

I'm all for packing heat and killing bad people. But the trouble is that the statistics say that my four year old is more likely to shoot himself with my gun than me killing a meanie. So, betting the come line and sticking with my bedside Louisville slugger.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 26, 2012 06:19AM

+1 for MikeyMike

it is GREAT to see someone love his kid more than his right to bare arms

at least you get it, my friend......that simply CHOOSING to not possess a gun does NOT mean you reject your 2nd amendment right, y'know?

Posted by: LittleDaddy ()
Date: February 26, 2012 06:27AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:

>
> it is GREAT to see someone love his kid more than
> his right to bare arms
>

I war short-sleeve shirts, even in February. That does not mean I will shoot my kid.

Posted by: LittleDaddy ()
Date: February 26, 2012 06:28AM

Do you go to war with your shirts too? Or just wear them?

Posted by: YY3NU ()
Date: February 26, 2012 07:46AM

"Posted by: Outdated ()
Date: February 25, 2012 04:40PM

Screw the 2nd amendment! That document was written 250 yrs ago! The world and especially this country has changed a little bit since 1776. Get out of the past."

You're right. Let's rip it up. That means niggers have to work for me for free. Good times! You are sooooo knowledgeable that I will send one of my niggers over to fellate you because I know you love that.

Oh, yeah, the Constitution was 1787, not 1776. But fuck you. Ahh, who am I kidding, you hate niggers, so you're aces with me!

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: February 26, 2012 09:26AM

> You sound like someone that WILL shoot yourself in the foot, but here you go.

Agreed, but here ya go. IF/IF you do manage to get your permit to carry, do yourself and everyone in the Commonwealth a favor and keep up your skills at a local shooting range.

Posted by: head scratcher ()
Date: February 26, 2012 09:39AM

Joe B. Wrote:
> ...keep up your skills at a local shooting range.

As a non-CC person, though I do own some guns, this is something I simply do not understand.

What "skill" is being kept up by going to a range when one has a concealed carry permit?

AFAIK, the distance from good guy to bad guy is, like, a couple meters at most in cases where a CCP comes in handy; we're not talking taking out a bad guy 20 meters away.

Is there a skill I'm not aware of that needs practicing over and above what is required to GET the CCP?

Hmmm...maybe fast draw?

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: February 26, 2012 04:18PM

Other places you can look...

http://www.capitaldefenseinstruction.com/Firearms-Training-Schedule.html

http://www.vaguntraining.com/ (I wouldn't do online unless I already had experience with firearms and just needed a piece of paper to get my CHP)

http://www.sharpshootersva.com/training.php

http://www.silvereaglegroup.com/courses/260-concealed-carry-weapons-course-ccw

I have no personal experience with any of these places.

Date: February 26, 2012 07:26PM

Mikeymike Wrote:
> I've been in the military twenty years and
> qualified as an "expert" shooter. I have no
> concealed weapons training and my minuscule
> contact with weapons over the years should not
> qualify me for any special treatment. What an odd
> law.
>
> I'm all for packing heat and killing bad people.
> But the trouble is that the statistics say that my
> four year old is more likely to shoot himself with
> my gun than me killing a meanie. So, betting the
> come line and sticking with my bedside Louisville
> slugger.

If a small child is able to get their hands on the gun that is the fault of an irresponsible owner who leaves it out in the open, not the fault of the gun.

That said owning a gun is a personal choice and no one should own one that doesnt want them or isnt comfortable with it

Date: February 26, 2012 07:29PM

head scratcher Wrote:

> As a non-CC person, though I do own some guns,
> this is something I simply do not understand.
>
> What "skill" is being kept up by going to a range
> when one has a concealed carry permit?
>
> AFAIK, the distance from good guy to bad guy is,
> like, a couple meters at most in cases where a CCP
> comes in handy; we're not talking taking out a bad
> guy 20 meters away.
>
> Is there a skill I'm not aware of that needs
> practicing over and above what is required to GET
> the CCP?
>
> Hmmm...maybe fast draw?

Its true that if you had to use it you really wouldnt have to be that good of a shot, but its more that you need to stay comfortable using it ect. Dont just buy one and stick it in the closet for years.

Basically the more you use it the more comfortable you are with handling it properly ect so that you arent uncomfortable around it

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.