HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Vote for Chuck Eby ,67th House of Delegates
Posted by: Bill Wood ()
Date: October 20, 2005 06:16AM

Eby Debates Opponents in Northern Virginia

Chantilly - October 14, 2005 - Libertarian candidate for the 67th House of Delegates district, Chuck Eby, faced off against his two major party opponents last night at Westfield High School in Chantilly, Virginia. “You can continue to vote for the lesser of two evils, or you can vote for a candidate you can feel good about, and that candidate is me!” said Eby in his concluding remarks.

Eby is competing for an open seat against Republican Chris Craddock and Democrat Chuck Caputo. The seat is open because Craddock defeated incumbent Gary Reese in the Republican primary in June. “Reese voted last year in favor of Governor Warner’s huge tax increase,” said Eby. “The fact that he was knocked out of the race shows that taxes is the big issue in my district this year.”

After opening statements to an audience of about 300 people, the candidates answered approximately twenty questions that had been submitted by the audience. Although a wide variety of questions was posed, many centered on transportation, taxes, and education.

“I would expand and promote the Public Private Transportation Act,” was Eby’s response when asked how he would get traffic moving in the area. “The Dulles Greenway, and the route 28 expansion project right in our own back yard show that free market solutions are superior to government solutions, and like these two examples, result in no expense to the taxpayer,” added Eby.

As for taxes, Eby said he would repeal last year’s tax increase and issue refund checks to every Virginian who paid taxes last year. “But I won’t stop there,” said Eby. “I will work to pass a ‘Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights’ that will restrict future Virginia budgets to the previous year’s budget adjusted for inflation and population growth,” he continued.

Unlike his opponents, Eby stated repeatedly how he would work to make government smaller, and taxes lower.

“Both Craddock and Caputo said they would increase spending on transportation, and Caputo added that he would spend more on education,” said Eby. “Even though they both said they would not raise taxes, I asked the taxpayers in the audience where they thought that money would come from.”

Audience response was positive. Both his opponents got heckled during the forum, but Eby didn’t. “Although most of the people in the audience were wearing ‘Caputo’ and ‘Craddock’ stickers, I saw a lot of heads nodding in agreement when I made my points,” said Eby, “and I was saying the exact opposite of what their candidate was saying!”

“I believe I gave them a lot to think about,” Eby said with a grin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vote for Chuck Eby , on Video
Date: October 23, 2005 06:12PM

Chuck Eby, now on video. Visit www.eby2005.com and click on the video clips button.

Re: Vote for Chuck Eby ,67th House of Delegates
Date: October 28, 2005 06:42AM

67th District candidates take on taxes, transportation, government funding at forum
By Layla Wilder
lwilder@timespapers.com
10/20/2005

Times Staff Photo/Layla Wilder
Chuck Caputo
Taxes and government spending were the big issues discussed when the three 67th District candidates for the Virginia House of Delegates squared off at a forum on Oct. 13.

Independent Chuck Eby, a Libertarian; Democrat Chuck Caputo; and Republican Chris Craddock answered questions from a crowd of about 200 people at Westfield High School in Chantilly, whose PTSA organized the forum.

For an hour and a half the three candidates were asked about their positions on a number of subjects. But, no matter what the candidates were asked, they repeatedly returned to the issues of taxes, government spending and state funding in most of their answers.

Caputo, 67, a resident of the Oakton area of the 67th District for 36 years and a former executive in the Defense Information Systems Agency, called himself the “sensible center” in the race.

“We need to protect the quality of life here in Northern Virginia, and we need to work in a bipartisan fashion to make sure we are getting adequate funding,” Caputo said.

“I know the community,” said Craddock, 26, a Chantilly resident and Chantilly High School soccer coach and youth minister who was raised in Fairfax County. “I want to represent our community by taking care of needs while making sure taxes don't go up too high,” he said.

Eby, 49, a resident of Northern Virginia for 37 years, lives in Fair Lakes and is a software manager of a large defense company. He said he is in the race to give voters a choice to vote for a smaller, less evasive government.

Craddock would like to impose his morals on his neighbors while Caputo wants to raise government spending, according to Eby.

“That leaves a big space for me in the middle of the spectrum,” said Eby, who consistently spoke for giving money and responsibility for change to the local citizenry.

Budget surplus

Eby said he would give the budget surplus in Virginia back to the people.

“I would cut a refund check before our representatives in Richmond can find a way to spend it,” Eby said.

Caputo said that just because there is a surplus does not mean there are unpaid bills in the drawer.

“It's the responsibility of the House of Delegates to look and decide how the money will be allocated,” he said.

Craddock said he does not want to hold on to money needlessly but noted there are things that need some funding, like transportation and education.

“We need to make sure we spend our money where we most need it so we don't overcharge taxes year after year and get away with it,” Craddock said.

Education funding

Caputo said public education should be fully funded from kindergarten through college, adding that he strongly opposes vouchers for private schools.

“I will never support vouchers to take away money from public education at a time when we need to support public education,” Caputo said.

Eby disagreed. He supports school vouchers for private schools and school choice so states have less of a burden to fund public education, he said.

“That's the only win-win situation,” Eby said. “I don't see how throwing money at the problem is going to help.”

Craddock said his plan to improve education includes recruiting, rewarding and retaining good teachers.

“Every time we raise taxes and send more money south, we get less money here,” Craddock said. He said he would work at seeking ways to get local money to local teachers.

Craddock said he also favors vouchers for private schools.

Area traffic

The three candidates agreed that the area's congested road infrastructure is a major problem, but they disagreed on how to fund solutions.

If elected, Caputo said he would support extending Metrorail to Dulles International Airport, keeping a dedicated transportation fund for the area and consolidating land-use and transportation issues. He also said he would work to consider the needs of the rest of the state.

“We are not going to do anything by ramming our needs down the throats of the delegates,” Caputo said.

Although he supports keeping a lock on the area's transportation fund, Craddock said he wants to formulate a plan that will keep more money in Northern Virginia.

“The last thing we need is another Virginia delegate to fight for the needs of other people in the state besides the people here,” Craddock said. “We need to work to put the money where the problem is.”

Eby said he thinks the state needs to consider more public-private projects.

The Public-Private Transportation Act allows private entities to enter into agreements with public parties to improve the transportation infrastructure, he noted, saying “we need to move more of those road projects to the private sector.”

Abortion

Toward the end of the forum, the candidates briefly moved from education, taxes and transportation to answer questions on abortion.

Although he is against abortion of any kind, Eby said he does not believe government should ban it.

“I don't feel like I should use the powers of government to deny access to people who want an abortion,” Eby said.

Caputo said he would consent to abortion to protect the life of the mother. “I am extremely against partial-birth abortion except for out of respect for the life of a mother,” he said. He did not address the issue of choice at the forum.

Craddock said he would oppose all abortion. “Liberty starts with the protection of life,” he said.

©Times Community Newspapers 2005

Posted by: voter4u ()
Date: October 11, 2012 08:43PM

Yes. he has my vote!!

Posted by: graveyard reg dem ()
Date: October 11, 2012 08:45PM

I save all four of my votes for Honest Gerry Connolly.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.