HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia Approves Drive-By Vehicle Emissions Testing
Posted by: NOVA Driver ()
Date: February 23, 2012 02:13PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/virginia-politics/post/drive-by-emissions-testing-clears-va-house-and-senate/2012/02/23/gIQAxqhRVR_blog.html?wprss=virginia-politics

I'm confused...

Until most cars are up to their operating temperature, they pollute beyond what VA's laws permit. If the Commonwealth goes to driv-by testing how will the equipment know if a vehicle is polluting because it has a problem versus a car that is polluting because it's not up to operating temperature?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia Approves Drive-By Vehicle Emissions Testing
Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: February 23, 2012 02:32PM

Do I have vague memories of multi-test-station "drive-thru" emission testing in, like, Maryland? Pretty sure I do. I seem to remember it was painless.

But don't hold me to that - would have been, like, almost 30 years ago.

Posted by: nuttyturnip ()
Date: February 23, 2012 03:36PM

Yes, Maryland has nothing but state-run drive-thru emissions testing stations, and they're fairly painless.

Posted by: Seymore Butts ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:37PM

I always preferred the anal probe approach to vehicle emissions...

Posted by: ringer ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:48PM

Well you still have to do the annual "safety" inspection so a drive thru emissions test really isn't saving you any time or hassle.

Posted by: HP11C ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:20PM

"The legislation would allow vehicle owners to simply drive past on-road remote sensors, instead of visiting a testing station."

This doesn't help anything. You still have state inspection and I always got my emmisions at the same time. Any car that isnt throwing a check engine light is compliant so why not test only pre-OBD cars and exempt the rest from the fee? Pre OBD cars would just be tested as usual at the state inspection. Oh yeah, Its a tax, thats why.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:35PM

This is a flawed system for many reason and should not be implemented...

First, I have seen the "turtle top" vans on entrance ramps near subdivisions. If a car has not reached operating temperature, it will pollute more, as the catalytic convertor has not reached operating temperature and vehicle OS in different operating parameters.

Second, it wastes resources by paying to in effect, "test" all vehicles which go past - but what if one "fails"? The story does not tell you, but I bet yo have to go to a station and get your car tested, regardless if it was recently tested. Cost$$$ ?

And finally, what next?

Look for "Survey Crew Ahead" signs to appear. These "turtle top" vans parked on shoulders of highways MUST display proper traffic control devices, including diamond orange warning signs.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.