HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FINAL FOur at mason
Posted by: usernmae44 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 11:08PM

where did VSHL stop playing the final four in Mason? I remember they used to play the final four at mason why did they stop

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FINAL FOur at mason
Posted by: Well.... ()
Date: February 22, 2012 12:07AM

They always used to make a good amount of money on the boys' Final Four, but they got killed on the girls. After a while it made sense just to stop renting the place out because the overhead was quite a bit.

Posted by: John Lynn ()
Date: February 22, 2012 11:57AM

Even if it wasn't a big moneymaker would think it might be a good recruiting tool and just plain good for community relations between Mason and Fairfax County.

But I get impression GMU doesn't give a shit about that stuff.

Posted by: But still... ()
Date: February 22, 2012 06:10PM

Mason would be happy to rent out the Patriot Center, I think. They just don't want to do it at a price that would be palatable to the Northern Region.

Posted by: It's Business ()
Date: February 22, 2012 06:30PM

Mason does not own the Patriot Center. Mason has to rent it for their events as anyone else would. Same owners as the Verizon Center, and I'm sure they don't care about high school basketball.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:46PM

Does Ted Leonsis et al own the Patriot Center?

Posted by: Teddy ()
Date: February 22, 2012 08:22PM

Yes, that man is a baller.

Date: February 22, 2012 10:51PM

You are correct, Ted, Shealia Johnson, Dick Patrick, and Raul Fernandez are the priciples of Monumental Entertainment who own the Patriot Center. Mason even had to pay for practice time in the Patriot Center!

Date: February 23, 2012 03:41AM

did any Va. state financing or GMU money go into the construction of the Patriot Center or Abe Pollin et al financed it?

Posted by: 4shiznits ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:59AM

Word is it just became to expensive(Patriot center) and Virginia HS sports was beginning to lose money and has also cut back on other VHSL activities ie no more winter spring cheerleading and other's.

Date: February 23, 2012 09:32AM

No state money went into the actual construction of the Center, utilities, parking lots, lighting etc.... is state funded.
Sounds like a great deal at the begining when the University didn't have any money, now not so much. Maybe one day it will get donated.

Posted by: john linn ()
Date: February 27, 2012 02:20AM

thats interesting that GMU does not own the Patriot Center and that got me thinking(pause for effect). I've often wondered in these trying economic times for the state of Virginia how GMU was getting the funding for the seemingly endless construction of new buildings on campus

Is MasonVale and The Mason Inn owned by George Mason or are they also outside owned? Some developers came in and saw potential? Heck I can't help but wonder if some of the new dorms and other buildings like the parking garages are not owned by GMU.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.