HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Coyotes in Fairfax - should I be concerned?
Posted by: Dz_12-28 ()
Date: February 19, 2012 05:24PM

We live near the intersection of Telegraph and Franconia. A friend said a coyote lives in the woods near our houses. I have an electric fence around my home for my three dogs: 1 large dog and two smaller dogs. They are pretty territorial and very aggressive whenever a stray dog, deer or fox has entered our property. Would a coyote try to take on a pack of dogs? Should I stop leaving them out like I do now? We usually let them out for 10-20 mins at a time many times a day. Sorry if I sound clueless - I have never seen a coyote and wouldn't know what to do if it came near me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coyotes in Fairfax - should I be concerned?
Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: February 19, 2012 05:32PM

I don't know the answer to your question but there is decent size thread on this subject here where you might find something interesting.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/329499.html

In my personal experience, when my dog has seen one and she is off leash she will chase it briefly (until I recall her with the electric collar) and it will just run off. It wasnt until I read that thread that I learned that they are ambush predators and dogs occasionally will be the targets. I've never seen more than one of them at a time however so I'm a little skeptical as to just how common this is.

Posted by: Dz_12-28 ()
Date: February 19, 2012 06:54PM

Thanks for the link!! Very interesting thread. Hopefully, the bait-and-attack method is an urban myth!

Posted by: markj ()
Date: February 19, 2012 07:36PM

Ths is no myth....I went outside about 5 years ago to get my paper and there was a coyote in the neighbors yard. A few days later, a neighbor saw another one carrying a dead animal in its mouth.

I called Fx Cty and they said coyotes were brought into the county about 10 years ago to keep the deer population under control...

My neighbors with small dogs put up fences....

I live down Telegraph Rd....this is the reality..

Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: February 19, 2012 08:16PM

I certainly agree that coyotes existing in Fairfax and Montgomery county are no myth (I've seen them myself MANY times) but I just have a little trouble believing that a pack of them would lure a 50+ pound husky, lab or shepherd into chasing it where several more were waiting to pounce. The ones I've seen look to be barely bigger than a fox ~ 20-25lbs but after having visited wikipedia it says that they can weigh up to 75lbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#Description

The article says that attacks on domesticated animals tend towards "smaller" dogs and cats but stated that attacks on larger dogs, while rare, have been documented. But I don't think the ones around here are that big, at least the ones I've seen. And I've never seen more than 1 at a time.

But maybe others have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 08:19PM by TheNorthman.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: February 20, 2012 12:32AM

From FCPA:

What's the big picture?

The big picture is that coyotes are now in every county of the nation, except maybe Hawaii. They're hardly unique to this area. Everybody's got them.

Are there benefits to having coyotes?

The good news for Fairfax County is that coyotes will help normalize two animal populations that have overgrown due to the lack of a natural predator, and have presented a nuisance problem for citizens. These are rats and Canada geese.

Coyotes will help clean up the high rat population and other rodents as well, which is a welcome activity. In the case of Canada geese, coyotes like eating goose eggs (and occasionally a goose dinner), which should help to mitigate the big soiling problem the county has when geese overrun sports fields, parks, school grounds and lawns.

Are we likely to see a coyote?

Probably not. Coyotes are smart, secretive and nocturnal. They also tend to avoid humans.

What do they look like?

The Eastern coyote is different from the Western coyote. They're bigger for one thing, having cross-bred over recent decades with wolves. They're brownish-gray with an average weight of about thirty-five pounds. Although you might hear one, they are not as vocal as their Western cousins.

What do you do if you actually spot one?

Nothing. The county knows they're here so you shouldn't do anything more than you would if you saw a skunk or raccoon. Often, people call saying they've sited a coyote when in fact, they've seen a gray fox or a mangy red fox.

Should we be concerned?

Not really. They're part of our wildlife now. Coyotes, just like in the old Western movies, are primarily a concern to farmers. For Fairfax County citizens, the big concern is letting out pets at night -- cats or small dogs, which could be killed if they wander into coyote territory.

It's also very important that you don't leave food sources out at night, like dog food or food on compost piles, and secure garbage can lids.

Can coyotes be scared off?

Yes. Just yell at them. Coyotes generally aren't confrontational and would rather avoid humans and run away than get in a fight, although they might get into a tug-of-war if you tried to grab away their catch.

However, if a coyote is behaving abnormally or aggressively, like a rabid dog, then call the county police non-emergency number -- 703-691-2131 -- and they will dispatch an animal control officer.

Posted by: wiley ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:43AM

whats going on here

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: February 20, 2012 07:59AM

The coyotes should be concerned. As soon as any animal shows up, some human douchebag can't wait to kill it.

Posted by: Sr. PEEPEE ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:59PM

where's just sayin' on this repeat topic damnit

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:08PM

Yes, by all means you should be copncerned. Like Mike Tyson, they will "eat yo chirren".

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.