HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia Hills admin center
Posted by: Va hills ()
Date: February 19, 2012 09:42AM

I live right by Virginia Hills administrative center and I thiNk I remember it being a school a really long time ago, right?? When did it close and why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia Hills admin center
Posted by: say ()
Date: February 19, 2012 10:00AM

Probably declining enrollment closed it.

FCPS has dozens of closed schools around the County. Tiny Fairfax City has two alone, Westmore and Green Acres. They usually don't sell the properties in case the school needs to be re-opened in the future. I think they're going to re-open one in Annandale (Lacey ES?).

The only one I know that was sold and torn down in Eleven Oaks in Fairfax. Clifton probably will be be----I think the REAL reason Clifton was closed is that some well-connected somebody wanted that land.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 19, 2012 12:02PM

http://www.virginiahills.org/school.html

According to this site it was closed in 1982.

Posted by: Nova_Native ()
Date: February 19, 2012 02:06PM

Va. Hills Admin Center was most definitely an elementary school in the past. I went there first through fourth grades in the 1960s. My family moved to another part of the county after that, so I can't say when it was closed.

To the best of my recollection, though, the description of the school on the website is incorrect about the 7th grade part. My eldest brother (amazing to recall how many of us crammed into those small houses back then) started there in 1955, finished the 6th grade, then went to Mark Twain Intermediate (now "Middle School" for some reason or the other) for 7th and 8th grade. If FCPS ever considered 8th grade as high school, the practice must have ended by early in the Kennedy administration.

Posted by: bus driver ()
Date: February 19, 2012 02:19PM

Up until a few years ago, Va Hills was the Transportation headquarters for that end of the county.

Posted by: Mt V/Mason Neck ()
Date: February 19, 2012 06:26PM

Does anyone know where you can get historic maps showing previous school districts? For example, before South County High, shere did kids from mason Neck go to High School? I would suspect Mount Vernon High, but does anyone know?

Posted by: Springfield Native ()
Date: February 19, 2012 07:20PM

Mt V/Mason Neck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> shere did kids from
> mason Neck go to High School? I would suspect
> Mount Vernon High, but does anyone know?

If you are referring to the Lorton area, the students went to Hayfield.

IN the mid-80's many students who lived in the "far flung" new neighborhoods like Daventry (near St. Bernadette's) went to Lee, as did the neighborhoods like Middle Valley off of Hooes Road.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.