HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Reston Zoo director drowns kangroo
Posted by: Reston Family ()
Date: February 18, 2012 11:18PM

Anyone watch chanel 9 news about the director of the Reston Zoo drowning the kangaroo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reston Zoo director drowns kangroo
Posted by: Yuuuup ()
Date: February 19, 2012 12:19AM

Yes and after that I won't be returning. How cruel!!!! Even if the roo was put down humanely they have no right doing so it appears.

Posted by: muckraker ()
Date: February 19, 2012 06:50AM

Read 'Animal Underworld'

Not saying it is the gospel, but there is a pretty sick account of the Reston Zoo, its founder, and its practices. That news report does not surprise me.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: February 19, 2012 08:16AM

OH....MY....GOD!!!! He should be strung up in city center, beaten, tortured, mutilated and spat upon! I know it was only one roo, but Did you hear that 115,000 fetuses were aborted yesterday? -- Jis' sayin',

Date: February 19, 2012 08:19AM

So the Director isn't a Veterinarian? They don't have a Vet on call?

I used to take my kids there, but the Reston Zoo has really kind of outlived its usefulness. It is in a very developed area and I've always wondered if the animals there get the best of care. I mean, they sell buckets of food for people to arbitrarily feed to the animals. How the hell does the Zoo know which animals have eaten enough and which haven't? Or which have eaten too much?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: eyrtyas ()
Date: February 19, 2012 09:38AM

Joe B. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OH....MY....GOD!!!! He should be strung up in
> city center, beaten, tortured, mutilated and spat
> upon! I know it was only one roo, but Did you
> hear that 115,000 fetuses were aborted yesterday?
> -- Jis' sayin',

Leave us alone Meade!

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: February 19, 2012 10:00AM

So who knew a kangeroo couldn't swim?

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: February 19, 2012 10:05AM

Reston Zoo has been around for at least 40 years. I have pictures of me as a 4-5 year old feeding animals there. I took my son there when he was around 5 and was not impressed. Plus it was outrageously expensive. Its like some ghetto level zoo for people too lazy to drive downtown.

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: February 19, 2012 10:23AM

Pretty awful story, but, taking care of exotic animals is difficult. Curing diseased exotic animals is even more difficult.

Sometimes euthanizing these animals is the humane route.

The National Zoo kills more than a few animals.

Posted by: RestonMom ()
Date: February 19, 2012 10:45AM

@ Atom

I'm sure that National Zoo also has the licenses to carry the drugs and also have trained professionals to do the euthinasia, that's the big difference, they were doing it and didn't do it the humane way obviously. All the money they make and they can't afford to call a vet to do it the right way?

If they couldn't spend the money for care then they should just be a normal petting zoo with a few pigs, goats, and sheep and leave the rest to professionals. In my opinion they should be shut down or people should stop going and force it out of business.

Posted by: Lea ()
Date: February 19, 2012 11:20AM

@ atom

Sticking an animals face in a bucket of water is not ok. It is not a solution for putting down a sick exotic animal--or any animal for that matter. Im sure this place had a vet on call, but no hole in the wall places like this are always just looking at the bottom line for monetary gain. They do not deserve to display these animals.

Date: February 19, 2012 11:26AM

Firstly, I think the National Zoo is a first rate orginization and the have the vast resources of the federal government behind them. But they still loose animals.

Here's my problem with the stOry. If they had the necessary medications to put the animal down humanely, why would they drown it.

I'm guessing that drowning a kangaroo is not a very easy task.

To me, it seems like you've got a struggling news orginization that's looking for a sensational headline playing fast and loose with the facts.

Posted by: Lea ()
Date: February 19, 2012 11:45AM

It's a wallaby, not a kangaroo. Much smaller. And remember she said she used lethal injection, but no injection site was found. Also, why would it be wet? U really think they wash bodies before throwing them away in a dumpster?

Date: February 19, 2012 11:59AM

Wallabys may be smaller, but I'm still guessing they would be very difficult to drown.

I don't want to defend inhumane or irresponsible behavior with animals. Nothing is worse than someone taking responsibility for an animals care if they are unprepared or uninformed.

But zoos, even the Reston Zoo, are a primary sources of education and inspiration for environmental stewardship. They are seldom perfect, and that story just Jumped right to an animal abuse conclusion.

I'm sure that animal keepers at all zoos get attached to their wards and euthanizing them, if necessary, is a very difficult and emotional decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 12:00PM by Atom.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: February 19, 2012 12:45PM

You'd think management would have acted more professionally but I'm not surprised. The one time i was there, i recall seeing a cheetah like cat pacing non stop in a figure 8 pattern. It obviously had developed a neurological disorder after years of confinement.

Although calling a kangaroo an "exotic" animal is a bit of stretch. Those things are as common and nuisance in Australia as like white tailed deer are in the US.

Posted by: Freedom4America ()
Date: February 19, 2012 12:58PM

It's a free market place. He can do what he wants with his property.

Date: February 19, 2012 01:07PM

Atom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Firstly, I think the National Zoo is a first rate
> orginization and the have the vast resources of
> the federal government behind them. But they
> still loose animals.
>
> Here's my problem with the stOry. If they had the
> necessary medications to put the animal down
> humanely, why would they drown it.
>
> I'm guessing that drowning a kangaroo is not a
> very easy task.
>
> To me, it seems like you've got a struggling news
> orginization that's looking for a sensational
> headline playing fast and loose with the facts.

First, the National Zoo has been roundly criticized in the past for animals dying mysteriously, and I believe it cost at least one Zoo director her job.

Second, an employee reported the suspicious activity and it is being investigated by authorities. This is being reported by news outlets because it's a story.

Third, it's easy to drown an kangaroo or, more accurately, a wallaby when it is secured in a crate...as appears to be the case here.

Finally, the washing the carcass before throwing in a dumpster simply does not pass muster. The director is obviously lying at this point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Date: February 19, 2012 01:41PM

You're right, if the Animal was crated, and dunked in the water on purpose, that is inexcusable.

I couldn't even make that logical leap it's so sad.

Posted by: outofnames ()
Date: February 19, 2012 05:26PM

The animals are exploited! Does anyone realize that the farm animals at the end of the season are taken to slaughter after the public fattens them up all year. I took my children one time and I plan on not returning after hearing how the animals are taken care of.

Posted by: Reston Family ()
Date: February 19, 2012 05:52PM

I think the SPCA needs to go take a look at this business. Doesn't he own another zoo in Natural Bridge. I'm sure it is the same owner. Where is PETA when they are needed. Drowning a poor animal. What kind of sick person did this????????????????????????? may they rot in hell. No need for any animal to suffer such a fate.

Posted by: long time ago ()
Date: February 19, 2012 08:59PM

Isn't this the old "pet-a-pet" farm? I thought it had been closed.

Date: February 19, 2012 09:21PM

Yes.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: getalife ()
Date: February 19, 2012 11:25PM

How very sad- to drown a sick animal - they should have called a vet.
Been there many time with my kids .... however I think this is over the top.
Time for them to call it a day-
Really think this death is a sick murder- not a kind ending for any....

Posted by: Call it a day ()
Date: February 20, 2012 12:07AM

Yes I think the zoo needs to call it a day. I feel sorry for the animals who live there and the employees who have had to work under this twisted Director.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.