HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New front door estimate
Posted by: Fairfax Station area ()
Date: February 18, 2012 06:22PM

I am looking to replace my front door. I have had three estimates. All three have been over five grand. Two estimates were from the same door manufacture but separate contractors. I find this to be a steep price. This is to replace the door and have two side lights. The front door also has a large square cut out with glass.

Is this reasonable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New front door estimate
Posted by: 6X ()
Date: February 18, 2012 06:38PM

No. Do you have any pictures of what you have & what you want?

Posted by: maybe ()
Date: February 18, 2012 07:19PM

depending on the door, that could be entirely reasonable. What kind of door? Steel, fiberglass, solid mahogany? Manufacturer? Is the glass center clear glass, frosted, designed? Do the sidelights have grills? Are they true divided, or plastic snap in grills? Lots of variables to consider before saying whether or not this is a reasonble price.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: February 18, 2012 07:28PM

Posted by: It depends ()
Date: February 18, 2012 08:37PM

If you live in a wealthy area your price will go up by 20%.

Posted by: JohnGalt338 ()
Date: February 18, 2012 10:07PM

Replacing a front door is surprisingly not all that difficult. You can probably get a much cheaper estimate by going to Home Depot or Lowes.

I had to replace a front door with dual sidelights a few years ago. I only paid $500 on Ebay. The door was a high end mahogany door that had been returned by an unhappy purchaser. It took my wife an I only about 2 hours to replace the door but we did have to travel to Pennsylvania to get the door. If you don't feel up to replacing the door yourself you could get the door and pay a handyman to install for much, much cheaper than $5k.

Posted by: Jeld Wen estimate ()
Date: February 18, 2012 10:36PM

The estimate was for a Jeld Wen factor sealed black fisnish front door with sidelights and a eight pane middle glass insert.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: February 19, 2012 12:45PM

Home Depot sells Jeld Wen: http://www.nextag.com/JELD__-__WEN-JELD-WEN-All--zzdoor+sidelightszJELD-WENz1220219zB2qz5---html

I know nothing about doors and pricing but it sure is looking like $5000 is way above reasonable.

==============

I don't know if these links will work, but you can search for "Jeld Wen" on Home Depot and see a bunch of doors, all less than $2000.

http://www.nextag.com/JELD__-__WEN-JELD-WEN-All--zzdoor+sidelightszJELD-WENz1220219zB2qz5---html

http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windows-Entry-Doors-Front-Doors/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ25ecodZ25ecodZbuhy/Ntk-All/Ntt-jeld%2Bwen/h_d2/Navigation?Ntx=mode%20matchall&catalogId=10053Ν=P_PARENT_ID&langId=-1&storeId=10051&primarySearchOnly=true&omni=c_Front%20Doors&searchNav=true#/?c=1&2he=2he&1z141fd=1z141fd

Here's the original Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Jeld+Wen+door+with+sidelights

Posted by: Thanks OD! ()
Date: February 19, 2012 02:02PM

I will look into those. I am looking to spend no more $3,200 for the whole door and install.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.