HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
city of fairfax mayoral race
Posted by: whoknows ()
Date: February 14, 2012 02:10AM

silverthorne for mayor bumper stickers out there. hope hes still not seeing dancing animals in his backyard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: city of fairfax mayoral race
Posted by: More Info Please ()
Date: February 14, 2012 08:35AM

Dancing animals? Please elaborate.

Posted by: Hamil ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:01AM

How long has silverthorne been off the city council?

Posted by: Johnny Rockets ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:28AM

Silverthorne is only known, because his daddy was once mayor, and for not much else, other than working for Mobil Exxon. For him to be appointed councilman when Mrs. Cross passed away is suspicious, even more so now with him running for mayor.

Posted by: Kamp Washingtonian ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:22PM

Is anyone even running against him?

Posted by: olde fart ()
Date: February 16, 2012 12:52PM

Kamp Washingtonian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is anyone even running against him?

Nope.

Posted by: BinB ()
Date: February 27, 2012 08:18AM

folks should get their facts straight and read Silverthorne's bio ..... many, many years ago he worked for Exxon Mobile and he was a City Council member for 18 years ..... do your research

Posted by: FFX City ()
Date: March 02, 2012 08:39AM

I think someone else is running. His name is Art Von Herboulis. He came by my house the other day.

Posted by: Jose Oombajumba ()
Date: March 02, 2012 11:02AM

This quote from Fairfax City Patch:

"We have had a lot of demographic changes in our community and I think the council hasn't focused on a way to engage these residents," Silverthorne said.

Does this mean roll out the red carpet for illegal aliens?

Posted by: Hamil ()
Date: March 02, 2012 06:34PM

"Art Von Herboulis"

I seem to remember a former city cop who had the same last name but that was decades ago?

he must be in his mid 60's if its the same gentleman

Posted by: silentmajority ()
Date: March 04, 2012 01:30PM

Von Herbulis, former city cop, was on city council for two years in the 80s. Nice guy, but a do nothing. Stopped coming to city council meetings about a year into his one term. Lots of rumors at that time that he was abusive to him family. Don't know. Would be weird if he decided to run -- he must be almost 70 and completlely out of the loop.

Posted by: Ja Resident ()
Date: March 04, 2012 01:55PM

For whatever reason, the city has always had its son's son's return to power. I do not like this, even though Scott is actually a pretty decent guy. Its small town croynism, and it would be good to have more candidates at least.

Posted by: Art Von Herbulis ()
Date: March 05, 2012 05:10PM

Yes, there is someone running Scott Silverthorn, his name is Art Von Herbulis, a retired police officer from the City. I am Art and I would like to hear from you. I am responding to a blog below from someone pretending to be the silent majority. Please read my response and reply, if you wish. Art

Posted by: jvonherb ()
Date: March 05, 2012 10:47PM

The decision for Art to run for Mayor was an easy one for him as he has a true love for the city. Yes he's retired from the police dept, served on the city council and anyone who says he's a do nothing doesn't know my husband. At age 67 he has a wealth of knowledge and experience and I'm proud to say is definitely "out of the loop" which is what we need. Additionally, he works tirelessly 6 days a week, serves with the Christian Ministry at our church and devotes countless hours with pro bono counseling for people who are in trouble with the court and can't afford the mental help they need. Art will be posting his bio and answering legitimate questions. This may be naive but I would hope that a clean campaign can be run based on addressing concerns of the city and stay away from taking pot shots to destroy another person's reputation while hiding behind the cloak of anonymity.

Sincerely,
Joan Von Herbulis

Posted by: Art Vandelay ()
Date: March 05, 2012 10:57PM

Having recently sold my firm Vandelay Industries for a tidy sum, I too am considering tossing my hat in the ring. Vote for me, Art Vandelay!

Posted by: Old Post Estates ()
Date: March 06, 2012 05:58AM

Circumstances of retirement from city police force?

Posted by: yourz ()
Date: March 06, 2012 06:54AM

Agreed. It should be a campaign based on issues that's for sure

Date: March 08, 2012 07:47AM

so we can either have silverthorne...who had the police at his house due to his "hallucinations" dancing in his yard or vonherbulis the wife/daughter beater....yeah lets keep it to the issues. These are the people making decisions that would affect thousands of people...is that a big enough issue

Posted by: John Q Public ()
Date: March 08, 2012 08:09AM

I just hope whoever wins it, keep making CERT the top notch folks they are

Posted by: BinB ()
Date: March 08, 2012 10:57AM

These accusations are ridiculous and Scott and Art both seem like good guys and are qualified to serve as mayor. These anonymous postings tearing down the reputations of Art and Scott are totally unnecessary. Both men have served our city well and obviously have a great love for our community. Maybe folks should find something more valuable to do with their own time than tear down others.

Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: March 08, 2012 11:47AM

Here's a Q: can I (not ffx city) vote for mayor?
If not, why? You force me to send my kids to FFX City schools where I can't vote for the school board - or even sign up for the FFX city BoE newsletter. FFX City = a sick joke being played on the rest of us...

Date: March 10, 2012 11:03AM

anonymous or not...when you enter your name into the political scene you bring with it your baggage. I for one do not want to hear its only about the issues....it is also about the people who make decisions that impact us all. I know that no one is perfect but when you put yourself in the spotlight prepare for the skeletons in your closet to come out. Ask the candidates..are these false accusations? Let them respond. I know these are true, so do they....the police were involved with both of these candidates, there should be records....

Posted by: True Dat but ()
Date: March 10, 2012 12:17PM

whoknows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anonymous or not...when you enter your name into
> the political scene you bring with it your
> baggage. I for one do not want to hear its only
> about the issues....it is also about the people
> who make decisions that impact us all. I know that
> no one is perfect but when you put yourself in the
> spotlight prepare for the skeletons in your closet
> to come out. Ask the candidates..are these false
> accusations? Let them respond. I know these are
> true, so do they....the police were involved with
> both of these candidates, there should be
> records....

Generally I agree with your statement and I hope they will both discuss this. Yet, at the same time, being mayor of Fairfax City, you don't have to worry about these guys carrying around the nuclear football, being chased by a member of our nation's finest.

Date: March 10, 2012 12:31PM

I agree....my issue basically is that I am tired of people of less than substantial character being elected to political positions. Look at D.C. as a prime example. I do not bellieve that corruption begins when you get into office, there are probably signs, character flaws, that are obvious but sometimes kept quiet. The current mayor and council have driven the City into debt, huge 9-10 million dollar debt. I think we need new officials across the board. Character MUST count

Posted by: FairfaxRise ()
Date: August 23, 2012 01:00AM

I believe this is the same Art Von Herbulis who runs a Aggressive Driving Program in Arlington County. Nice guy, good class... But man, I had to shell out $200 for it! Another school in the area has the equivalent class for $75 that my buddy did. I tried doing it also but the court wouldnt let me. I thought it was unfair that they restricted me to only take the class he teaches. The schedule was not convienent and it took 3 weeks to complete!

Its a monopoly and obviously with being a former cop & city council member, he has a major 'IN' with the Judges & DA at Arlington County. Such a connection could be helpful as mayor, but also can lead to system abuse or giving favors or rewarding work/contract to other former work buddies. And that would not create equal work opportunities for other people. That would be unfair and can effect the local community and various businesses in many industries.
So i'm just a weary of that strong possibility given that he's "run the show" at Arlington county, where they force feed people with tickets to inconveniently only take his class. Total monopoly.
Thats likely to carry over in other ways if he's mayor.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: August 23, 2012 09:27AM

Elections over. Scott won.

Posted by: Way to pay attention ()
Date: August 23, 2012 09:27AM

Dude, the election was like 4 months ago. It is over. Silverthorne is mayor and Art didn't even run.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.