HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
It must be true - It was on Craigslist!
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: March 08, 2008 09:54AM

I saw this on Craigslist. Any truth to this? Sounds fairly bogus to me!

I want to warn people driving in Fairfax County that the police department has been directed by the County Supervisors to aggressively issue summons/tickets for ANY possible moving violation! This is due to the County Budget Deficit of more than $250 Million!

This is true and real. I work for the County - would rather not say in what department. I am angered by the tactics used by Fairfax County to raise money to cover their lavish spending.

Drive carefully and obey all signs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It must be true - It was on Craigslist!
Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: March 08, 2008 10:22AM

I'm still confused why we have a $250 million deficit. How is that even possible with the amount we're already taxed?

Posted by: YoMoney ()
Date: March 08, 2008 10:42AM

Numbers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm still confused why we have a $250 million
> deficit. How is that even possible with the amount
> we're already taxed?

Because we're deaf, dumb, and blind. And, quite frankly, we let them.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: March 08, 2008 10:59AM

Here's how it works:
20% are for reducing everything (schools, roads, etc.)
70% are for reducing everything BUT HEAVEN FORBID YOU REDUCE "PROGRAM X" (be it ESOL, roads, schools, whatever it is you're for)
10% are for increasing everything.

To the anti-tax advocates here: How will government get better people to fill its ranks if we say cut pay by 10% across the board, or maybe neglect the physical plant needs of county office buildings ... or maybe just let those potholes stay another few weeks ...

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: March 08, 2008 11:17AM

Actually, what would work here, and would have worked over the past to make sure we never had money problems for roads, schools, etc., is to DEMAND that developers actually PAY to built the infrastructure to SUPPORT Fairfax County vs. building all these homes and businesses that draw upon our resources and burden us without much return (other than tax dollars, themselves).

If you build a community of 1,500 homes, it would IMO, be expected that the developer pays to make the surrounding roads suitable for the extra demands those homes place on the area.

There are few, maybe only a couple of counties that do things this way in VA. Why not Fairfax?

...probably because they do not have to - as long as the tax $$$ keeps rolling in.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: March 08, 2008 11:22AM

There's a simple solution to this "problem"...don't violate the law. Moving violations are the most serious...so slow down...give right of way..get off your cell phones and obey the law!

Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: March 08, 2008 12:40PM

Yeah they sure are.. On my way to work last week, I got nailed for crawling through a stop sign, not 2 blocks from my house. The Officer told me that I didn't stop completely for the NECESSARY amount of time to look both ways. 1st ticket in like 8 years! He was real sneaky too, hiding behind some parked work trucks. He told me they would be out in FORCE this season. I have no doubt they are looking at serious shortfalls this year. I guess their plan is to just make it up by taking it out the working man! Can't touch the rich, and no use getting it out of Pablo and his 5 different IDs.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 08, 2008 04:09PM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> BUT HEAVEN FORBID
> YOU REDUCE "PROGRAM X" (be it ESOL, roads,
> schools, whatever it is you're for)

Funny how ESOL was the first example cited... why is that? Sound a little racist.

Posted by: ha ()
Date: March 08, 2008 04:23PM

(" Funny how ESOL was the first example cited... why is that? Sound a little racist.")

Nope didn't look racist to me sounded true. I guess we will keep hiding behind excuses instead of looking at reality. I don't believe the police are stepping up patrols to increase county revenue. I believe they are stepping up patrols because they could have a budget cut and they need to show thier presence. Kind of like when you where a kid and wanted to sleep over your friends house and you did extra chores to justify to your parents they should let you go to the sleep over.

Posted by: Don't belive everything you hear on C ()
Date: March 08, 2008 05:32PM

1st, No, The County board is not trying to reduce the county's short fall by giving tickets for any and everything we can. If they were, I would know. Trust me. The county doesn't get that much from the tickets anyway.

2nd. The reason we have this problem, for you apartment dwellers, over the past several years the county property values have soared. The county has cut property taxes so that people would not loose their shirts at tax time. This year the property values have fallen off of a cliff. $800K homes can now be had for the upper $400K's. So the county's income from these taxes has taken a nose dive as well. Hence $250 million dollars in the hole.

3rd. To 70chip, It says stop. Not slow down and crawl. If I was beating the crap out of you would you want me to slow down to a crawl or STOP?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 08, 2008 07:30PM

Don't belive everything you hear on C Wrote:
> If I was beating the crap out of you would
> you want me to slow down to a crawl or STOP?

dumbest argument ever. btw, if you slowed down to a crawl, someone could easily beat you to death. if you stopped, you might run away. so i choose slow to a crawl and then ill put the back of a clawhammer into your skull and rip it wide open... in self-defense.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: March 08, 2008 07:47PM

>>>>$800K homes can now be had for the upper $400K's.<<<

Cool! Where are those deals? Which part of the county?

Connelly said that real estate only went down 3.38%! What a liar.

Posted by: Dude ()
Date: March 08, 2008 08:29PM

The upshot is that Northern Virginia only gets 19% of the income taxes collected here back from Richmond. The other 81% go to support the rest of the state. I order to pay for the services we need locally we have to rely mostly on property tax. As real estate values rose in the late 90's and 2000's those idiots on the board of supervisors acted like those were permanent increases--they just spent it. When property values started decreasing, all of a sudden they couldn't pay the bills anymore. Lots of blame to spread around--the a-holes in Richmond who take all of our tax revenue and the numskulls on the board of supervisors who a:) don't stand up against it and b:) spend all the revenue they raise locally.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: March 08, 2008 09:06PM

Dude Wrote:
> The upshot is that Northern Virginia only gets 19%
> of the income taxes collected here back from
> Richmond. The other 81% go to support the rest of
> the state. I order to pay for the services we
> need locally we have to rely mostly on property
> tax.

Exactly! This is why the FFX Co. Board should have placed the burden of funding infrastructure on the developers of residential and commercial projects. Not the longtime residents (and NooBs) of this county!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.