HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Choose a Company: Government Contractors vs Small Government Contractor vs Fortune 500 Company
Posted by: ChoosingJob ()
Date: February 07, 2012 08:34PM

They are all offering the same salary. Benefits vary with the Fortune 500 Company giving the best benefits.

Will working at a goverment contractor make me richer in the long run?

Or is it more riskier? I heard people can get laid off pretty quickly if the company fails to win a contract.

Also, is it better to work for a small contractor or a big one (think big primes)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choose a Company: Government Contractors vs Small Government Contractor vs Fortune 500 Company
Posted by: Depends ()
Date: February 07, 2012 09:14PM

Depending on what you do, the big company might not cut you loose if your contract were to go away. They can afford to keep you on to put on other bids or throw you some hours from another job to offset your hit on overhead.

A small contractor probably can't afford to do that, so no contract = no job.

With that said, if you are any good and develop a relationship with the customer, you should have a job with the new contractor. Of course they may not want to pay you, or they may be awful, but you might still be employed while you look for a new job.

Getting "rich" in contracting means you have progressed past providing services and into business development and are good at it. If you are just filling a spot on a contract now as a SME, then you really need the right environment to get into that function. PMs make good money too, and depending your "skill" there is money to be made without getting into management, but again, the real money is made by the VPs who work on securing business. The small company may offer a better shot at getting exposure to the "business" side of contracting. If you work for Booz Allen as a "program analyst IV" on a contract, I doubt you'll get any exposure to the management/business side of the coin. They just have too much management sitting above you. All they care is that the customer doesn't hate you and that you burn 100% of the hours allotted to your position.

Re: Choose a Company: Government Contractors vs Small Government Contractor vs Fortune 500 Company
Posted by: JJ5505 ()
Date: February 07, 2012 10:12PM

If you will be direct labor on a contract, see how much time is left on it (including any option periods). Big contractors may have more jobs to jump to if things go south with the contract. Small or mid-size ($1B or less in revenue) may be ripe for acquisition - that often leads to job cuts if you are not direct billable. Either will probably not allow you too much time in between assignments if you are direct bill. You might check out the company on www.glassdoor.com to see how current/former employees rate it. Good luck!

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: February 08, 2012 07:07PM

Honestly, having worked on government contracts for the past ten years or so (both small and large companies), I would rather work for a company outside the contracting world. Working for a large company doesn't mean you won't be shown the door; I know of larger companies that keep you on the bench for only two weeks, if you don't find another position in the company by then you are gone.

You also need to consider where you will be working -- at the government customer site or at your company's location. I don't even entertain positions that are at government sites anymore.

Posted by: anonymous3 ()
Date: March 05, 2012 12:14AM

I agree with the last poster. STAY AWAY FROM GOVERNMENT CONTRACTORS. I am so burnt out working at government customer sites and having to deal with all the bullshit and incompetent management. I have a security clearance but I am so desperate to get away from the government side of things I am willing to let it go inactive. Go with a fortune 500 company. You will be in a more professional environment and you will be happier.

Posted by: AnotherThing ()
Date: March 05, 2012 12:40AM

Another thing to note, if you're billable and working on a customer site, regardless of the contract recompete and who wins, if the customer LIKES you and WANTS you to stay, they will ask the new company to retain key incumbant staff and specifically name you.

The companies will always change, the staff can remain the same. I explain this to my elderly parents all the time and use this analogy: You will always cheer for the same race car driver, but you never know who his "sponsor" is as that is subject to change frequently after each race season.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.