HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Sport & Health Clubs Suck
Posted by: Jack Bauer ()
Date: March 05, 2008 02:13PM

Been a member of Sport and Health at the Regency in McLean for several years but can't wait for my contact to end soon. It seems like everything always break down in that shit hole. Currently their hot tub has been out of service for over two months, everyweek a couple of their breaks down, the sauna doesn't work, and a few weeks a ago they closed the pool because of a hygine problem (Some women had her period and bleed in the pool) I say shit hole because these guys have no comprehension of clean. The floors in the men's locker room is always wet, it smells bad (because they have no idea what air freshners are for), and the floors are getting darker by the day because of all the mold. The management really could care less about you.
DO NOT JOIN SPORT AND HEALTH.

Please reply back with what gyms I should look at in the area and why. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sport & Health Clubs Suck
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: March 05, 2008 02:53PM

Try Washington Sports Club. There is no pool or jacuzzi but he locker rooms have a sauna and a steam room. It's clean and the equipment gets repaired when it breaks.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: March 05, 2008 04:41PM

nothing compares to lifetime in centreville and fairfax. Best gym in the area without a doubt

Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: March 05, 2008 04:49PM

lifetime in centreville? Your kidding right? That place is as crooked as they come.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2008/022608lifetimefitnesslarcenies.htm

They really take time to lookout who mingles among their sucker "marks".. I mean patrons.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: March 05, 2008 05:43PM

There is a new gym in Merrifield called Xsport which is mainly a Chicago chain. It's not as big as Lifetime but it's 24/7, has a pool, spa, sauna, and all new equipment. Each cardio machine has its own LCD and the walls are plastered with LCDs. It has only been open a month but so far so good. Best of all no long term contracts, I pay 35 a month (probably because I signed up before it opened), I was paying 50 something for a one year golds contract at a muuuch shittier place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 11:51PM by Mofo.

Date: March 05, 2008 06:17PM

How much are the dues per month at Lifetime?

At Washington Sports Club dues are 40.00 per month for a 2 yr. contract. No pool but each cardio machine has it's own cable TV screen as well.

I got a coupon to try the new X sport gym in Merrifield. I may try it out. I was worried about the traffic situation though.

Has anyone done a walk thru of the new Gold's Gym that is going in at 123 and Burke Centre Parkway? It is due to open in April.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: March 06, 2008 05:57PM

Lifetime is EXPENSIVE compared to other places. IIRC close to $70 a month.

Posted by: Jerry ()
Date: March 07, 2008 07:15AM

Everything about your statement is 100% false except for the hot tub which they are putting a brand new one in, and the pool which was because a child had an accident which no one can do anything to prevent. The tile is wet because it is a WET area and thats where people take showers. The tile grout is dark in places not because of mold, but because the original color was black and someone had the bright idea to put white grout paint over it. The sauna and steamroom have been working fine, and when there is a problem with them they are fixed within a couple of days. A gym is a gym just go, work out, and go home. You have nothing to complain about guy. The next time you think about complaining think of all the kids around the world who are not going to eat today, because they have somehting to complain about.

Posted by: Worldgater ()
Date: March 07, 2008 08:30AM

Worldgate in Herndon. Its expensive, but it is good. Grant Hill has been known to go there sometimes

Date: March 07, 2008 11:17AM

Someone told me about a new gym in Merrified called Xsport that is open 24/7. They said it was beautiful and inexpensive. I am going to see it this weekend. Has anyone been there?

Posted by: Nova princess ()
Date: March 07, 2008 07:52PM

Sport and Health Regency is a boring gym with members who think "they're all that." For a really fun time, check out the Bally Total Fitness clubs at Pentagon Row and Landmark Plaza. The group ex classes are awesome! And the price is right.

Posted by: Jack Bauer ()
Date: March 08, 2008 04:17PM

First off buddy unless you can prove me wrong I stick by my story because I have pictures to back up my claim. Second of all take that bs about the hungry kids around this world and shove it up your fat ass. I work my ass off to earn my money and when I pay over $65pp per month to this piece of crap club that doesn't even deserve half of that I have every right to complain when I see something wronf. To bad your people at the central office don't give a rats ass when I complain. I've been to gyms in several third-world countries that have been better maintained that this pos in Mclean. Maybe if they stopped paying those poor Latinos in there the minimum wage they might be better inclined to do a better job of keeping that place in order.

Posted by: Ha ()
Date: March 08, 2008 04:26PM

"The next time you think about complaining think of all the kids around the world who are not going to eat today, because they have somehting to complain about."

Are we talking about a gym or a buffet?

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: March 10, 2008 10:30PM

I like buffets.

Golden Corral is excellent. If we ever have a forum meetup it should be at golden corral.

Whens the next forum meetup?

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: March 10, 2008 11:09PM

Mmmm, I like buffets too. But I think the next forum meetup should be at an Indian buffet. Hey Meeper - does minerva have a buffet?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 11, 2008 02:57AM

KOT, would the next forum meetup not also be the first? Unless you count the one that consisted on improvised online theater...

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: March 11, 2008 06:00AM

Genevieve Wrote:
>> Hey Meeper - does minerva have a buffet?

Yes, and it's very good.

Posted by: Filth ()
Date: March 11, 2008 05:25PM

Posted by: Washington Sports Club Sucks ()
Date: August 22, 2008 10:59AM

I've been trying to get out of my contract at WSC for months. For some reason, when you actually need to get admin work done, the only person who can do it is never there. Im thinking of joining the new gym being built in Dulles, Although when I went in for costs they tried to sell me some Bullsht "deal of the day". Membership people suck too. Tell that to the hungry kids - don't join WSC.

Posted by: snowdreems ()
Date: August 23, 2008 12:19AM

I joined Worldgate Sport and Health when it opened. I have never had a problem at that gym. I also belong to Gold's and it's a great gym too. My only complaint about Sport and Health is that the steam room and sauna are not hot enough (women's locker room). Membership are not at either gym 24/7 so it's a good idea to make an appointment (what a novel idea). I also find when I have a concern (no matter where) I have more success when I put the complaint in writing and give it to the appropriate person(s).

What do you hope to accomplish by coming here and slamming them?

Posted by: Kuro Inu ()
Date: August 23, 2008 11:53AM

"The next time you think about complaining think of all the kids around the world who are not going to eat today, because they have somehting to complain about."

Are we talking about a gym or a buffet?

As W.C. Fields said when asked if he liked children:"I do if they're properly cooked."

Posted by: Watan_girl ()
Date: August 25, 2008 03:41PM

Life time has a special now $59.00 a month and your family is free. I thinks its until Aug 29.

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: August 27, 2008 08:09AM

Lifetime is better IMO than all the others. I've been to them all.

vaburbia.com

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 28, 2008 12:41AM

Watan_girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Life time has a special now $59.00 a month and
> your family is free. I thinks its until Aug 29.

Go in and say you want to check out the facilities and are considering a membership.

They let you in free.

Posted by: Sally ()
Date: January 17, 2009 10:25PM

Sport and Health does not care about their members or their employees. DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT for even a month, this club is in financial ruins!!!

Posted by: doug ()
Date: February 01, 2009 12:06AM

Sportandhealth is all about profit they do not care about members. I worked with them for a year and I remember telling the manager about the smell in the locker room or equipment breaking down or the temp in the lockeroom etc etc he was like "blah blah blah" members are like enemies. They charge 89 a month for a year contract and 79 if sign up for two years now. month to month is 99 a month. Also all gyms will let u get out of a contract if u move or u want to cancel for some reason they let u out but Sportandhealth the only way you can get out of it is if you are Deceased if you do not believe me call one of the managers at any sportandhealth and ask them or have them print out a contract and you will see. you also cannot put your membership on freez like other gyms unless you have a legit doctors note orrrrrr its military.

Posted by: Ten-Year Sport & Health Member ()
Date: February 14, 2009 04:08PM

I've been a member at Sport & Health clubs for ten years. I've held a multi-club membership, so I've been at nearly every club in the metropolitan DC region: Annandale, Alexandria, Crystal City, McLean, Tysons Corner, Ballston, Baileys Crossroads, and Herndon.

I can assure you, the Sport & Health clubs far exceed the other clubs in the area when you compare amenities, services, and cost. The main problem with all clubs is that they do not keep their facilities clean - believe me, I've seen more horrors than have been posted on this site already.

In the event that someone from Sport & Health is monitoring this blog, they should take note that cleanliness and prompt repair of the equipment and facilities is a critical aspect of good value. It comes down to good facilities management, proper supervision of their cleaning staff, and quality assurance of the cleaning staff's work.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: February 14, 2009 09:20PM

Ten-Year Sport & Health Member Wrote:
> I've been a member at Sport & Health clubs for ten
> years. I've held a multi-club membership, so I've
> been at nearly every club in the metropolitan DC
> region: Annandale, Alexandria, Crystal City,
> McLean, Tysons Corner, Ballston, Baileys
> Crossroads, and Herndon.
>
> I can assure you, the Sport & Health clubs far
> exceed the other clubs in the area when you
> compare amenities, services, and cost. The main
> problem with all clubs is that they do not keep
> their facilities clean - believe me, I've seen
> more horrors than have been posted on this site
> already.
>
> In the event that someone from Sport & Health is
> monitoring this blog, they should take note that
> cleanliness and prompt repair of the equipment and
> facilities is a critical aspect of good value. It
> comes down to good facilities management, proper
> supervision of their cleaning staff, and quality
> assurance of the cleaning staff's work.

bullshit visit annandale

Posted by: employee/gym goer ()
Date: May 14, 2009 09:40PM

wellllll i always thought i loved s&h at worldgate... but not so much anymore- half of their management are bitches and the other half only say hi to you once in a while. it's a good place to workout- but you get treated like shit and get no credit for all the crap you put up with when you work there.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: May 17, 2009 05:14AM

Sport and Health in Reston is one of the cleanest gyms I have ever been to. I also appreciate the openness (i.e., no narrow hallways with a multitude of separate, gloomy rooms), and the overall crowd (I've definitely made many a friend at that gym).

I have been to multiple gyms between NoVa and Florida before, and the only one I found to be as clean and friendly (Crowd wise), was a Bally's in the Bahamas (However, they had much less room in which to exercise).

I have no idea about the McLean Sport and Health, but in regards to the Reston one, if you think it is "bad", or dirty, then you have never experienced gyms elsewhere.

However, I will say that the employees there have been a disappointment as of recent. They used to have very outgoing staff, and very helpful ones as well. Now however, the staff I typically run into lack personality and consideration. I do hope this aspect changes soon.

Date: May 17, 2009 06:19AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> I have no idea about the McLean Sport and Health,

There is nothing dirty about Regency S&H in McLean, the original poster is just being an ass. There's no mold on the floors anywhere and it seems like the cleaning staff are always around mopping the floors an wiping down the equipment.

Posted by: TheRock ()
Date: May 17, 2009 11:09PM

Hey Meeper do you even go to the gym? I guess not since you can't see all the mold on the ripped shower curtains they have.

Posted by: Catdaddy ()
Date: May 17, 2009 11:40PM

Anyone been to Mount Vernon Athletic Club in Alexandria. It's a nice place and acutally has a feeling of being at home. It has tennis and fitness options. I recently went in for a tour.

Posted by: Party Timer ()
Date: May 17, 2009 11:43PM

The best gym to go to is called the Crew Club in Logan Circle. It is open 24 hours a day, and has a really large steam room. A great place to meet people.

Posted by: Clingon ()
Date: May 18, 2009 01:18AM

xsport is tight. westside for skinny bastards is tighter.

Posted by: Yo! ()
Date: May 18, 2009 01:37AM

Yeah go 2 xsport. Way better.

Date: May 18, 2009 06:11AM

Yeah, I do, and I've never seen mold. And if I did, I would definitely report it in this thread. Coming on here to say the place is dirty is retarded, because it isn't.

TheRock Wrote:
> Hey Meeper do you even go to the gym? I guess not
> since you can't see all the mold on the ripped
> shower curtains they have.

Re: Sport & Health Clubs
Posted by: The real Jack Bauer ()
Date: May 28, 2009 11:32PM

The original poster is completely wrong. He probably had his membership revoked or something. As a lifelong athlete, I've been a member of many health clubs over the years. The fitness floor is big with a plethora of weights, lots of cardio equipment, 3 pools, tennis, racquetball, squash, Prince's Tennis, etc.. The club is clean & staff is always friendly (even the "poor latinos" as he called them). Sounds like he had an ax to grind, I've been a member for almost a year & have had nothing but a positive experience. I'm in there 5 days a week before work & signed my company up for a wellness plan with them. I'd recommend them over the other clubs in the area I used to frequent.

Posted by: jk ()
Date: December 22, 2009 10:54AM

Have you ever tried to talk to accounting or managment of Sport & Health Clubs Suck? The executives shield them selves by not providing information about them selves on the website, nor provide phone access. Instead they force you to e-mail, which you never get responses.

Posted by: Sump Pump ()
Date: December 23, 2009 11:32AM

I have been a member of Regency for the last 11 months and decided to quit at the end of my contract period. We have a corporate plan there so the fee is $70/month.
I didn't quit because anything was grossly wrong but I didn't feel that I was getting value for the money based on my individual situation as I have both cardio and weight equipment at home. I originally joined there to play squash, for which they have great facilities. I gave up squash so therefore I don't really have a good reason to belong. However, everything at Regency is not perfect. I doubt anywhere would be perfect for that matter it's just a personal decision as to whether the pros outweigh the cons. Here are the pros and cons of Regency IMHO:

Pros:
- Great Raquetball and Squash courts - they have enough that you can always find one to book at any time and it is included in the membership fee (i.e., no court fee).

- Great selection of cardio and weight-lifting equipment. They have tons of ellipticals, treadmills, etc. The treadmills have individual TVs and there are an adequate number of TVs that you can watch from the other equipment.

-Steam room, sauna, and hot tub I found were a good compliment to a workout. This is one thing I'll miss.

-The desk staff are pleasant and nice (and some of them are cute).

Cons:

-Classes are not conveniently scheduled for people that work. I don't particularly want to go to the gym real early and most of the classes I want are during working hours.

-The men's locker room is marginally clean. The floors aren't moldy or anything but they need to vacuum them more often. There have been times when little pieces of yucky paper and/or other organic material is laying on the floor. Also, a good number of the lockers have faulty clasps so they slip and the locker doesn't lock. This is one area that needs great improvement.

-They treat every guest that you bring in as a potential member. I brought someone in once that lived in London and before we left he received a call on his mobile phone from the membership people asking whether he wanted to sign up. They also did this with another guest that I brought in locally. All my friend's wanted to do was play squash - not get the big upsell for the club membership.

-They frequently run membership promotions and shove it in your face by occupying the entrance way with tables of stuff. They let the prospective members in for free and the gym gets annoyingly crowded. This happens frequently enough that it is annoying.

-They have a restaurant, however, I have never seen it open. There have been times when it would have been nice to grab a drink or a sandwich after working out.

-The membership sales people are snooty. I tried to bring in a friend once who was actually considering joining. He had been there once before months ago. The second time he printed off their 3-free visits from the web, but they refused to honor it because I had brought him in as a guest and that invalidated the deal. Geez, I don't think this is a good way to promote membership.

Overall, I wouldn't say the place sucks but you have to weigh what's more important to you and whether you get the value that you are paying for. I'm sure every gym in this area will have a different set of pros and cons.

Posted by: pacos ()
Date: December 24, 2009 08:04PM

YOU ARE A FUCKING FOOL FOR JOINING IN THE FIRST PLACE

Date: December 24, 2009 08:58PM

Pacos <--- Fucking Jerk Off

Just FYI I got lots of pleasure from joining. When I was on the elliptical I could scout out all the fresh young pussy laying on the floor stretching out in front of me and get my cheap thrills. At least I came home excited enough to want to bang the wife.

Go have a fucking merry Christmas and stick your head up your fucking anal cavity. Put five fingers around your meat... If you can find it that is.

Posted by: Max Triceps ()
Date: December 24, 2009 09:57PM

I got a gym in my basement that's better than any of those yuppie rip-off joints.

Date: December 25, 2009 08:29PM

Great. Can I come over and work out? Also, do you have a hot wife/gf that will do splits on the floor while I'm there too?

Oh yeah, do you supply towels that I can blow my nose on like they do at the Regency? The Hispanic help don't seem to mind picking up the snot rags there either.

Posted by: pacos ()
Date: December 25, 2009 08:38PM

YO ... SUMP PUMP GO AND SUMP PUMP OUT YOUR ANAL CAVITY I SURE YOU WILL GET LOTS OF PLEASURE FROM JOINING IT UP TO YOUR ASS WHILE YOU ELLIPTICATE YOUR HISPANIC WIFE

Posted by: sump pump ()
Date: December 25, 2009 08:44PM

Gee pacos what an insightful comment! At least it's evidence you passed third grade. I think I will just go ELLIPTICATE without the wife. I am glad that you got the day off though. Probably see you over at the Peruvian chicken place tomorrow where I can stuff my face with latino carbs and turn myself into an overweight fat pig so I can be ready when you guys take over the county.

Re: Sport & Health Clubs Rip Off
Posted by: Sick and Tired ()
Date: January 11, 2012 12:20PM

Sport and Health is a rip off. Go to LA Fitness, the best kept secret in town.
Old equipment, dirty stinky facility

Posted by: Daniel ()
Date: January 20, 2012 09:32AM

What are the fees in Sport and Health Mclean? everybody tell me a different ammount

Date: January 20, 2012 09:39AM

Sports and Health clubs suck. Plantar warts and rashes for all. Buy your own workout equipment. It's cheaper and less hassle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 09:39AM by WashingTone-Locian.

Posted by: DirtMcGirt ()
Date: January 22, 2012 11:22AM

Why would anyone spend over $30 bucks to join a gym anyways? Workout for 1hr then GTFO. Gyms are for your health, if you wanna make friends join match.com. My 2 cents

Posted by: gymuser ()
Date: January 22, 2012 01:00PM

I can't believe no one here has mentioned this club yet: Equinox. I guarantee you will have no complaints about anything including cleanliness. I've been a member since it opened in 07 after switching from Regency Mclean. I'm usually very picky about health clubs but this place is perfect. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for apparently.

Posted by: S&H Hater!!! ()
Date: February 03, 2012 11:35AM

Shut up Jerry you're probably one of the duchebags that run it. S&H is over priced, and after you sign up, the Customer Service SUCKS!

Posted by: jeannieonline ()
Date: March 21, 2012 03:00PM

I recently joined sport and health in crystal city to lose the weight I gianed after having my first baby. All I can say is....GROSSS! Within 2 weeks of working out, and having my husband and son join, I got the worst case of athlete's foot...AND HANDS! That's right, fungus on all four extremities. I can't put lotion on because my doctor said I will spread it all over my body. I can't put lotion on my son either after he bathes. I can't fricken do anything but resist the urge to scratch my hands and feet constantly, all day and all night. I went to the doctor, and got a host of expensive, greasy creams and I'm still suffering. This is seriously one of the most uncomfortable, incovenient, painful situations I have ever experienced. I was so excited to get back to the gym, to start swimming with my son, and now this. Total fucking nightmare. Worst gym EVER. Spray your lockers with some antibacterial spray, jackholes! And wipe down the door handles, shampoo pumps, etc. Its a gym, and they are supposed to be the stwerads of our health while we pay them to work out there. Not so much...

Posted by: Belle ()
Date: June 02, 2012 12:15AM

Seriously people?!?! I've been a member of a few gyms and I've never been as pleased with a gym as I have been with Sport and Health. Housekeeping is always around cleaning, I'm always greeted with a smile at the front desk and the staff remembers my name. Use common sense when you use the equipment and showers...first there are antibacterial wipes (use them before and after genius) when you're in the showers wear flip flops. Let's think about this, no matter how often the cleaning staff cleans all of these things chances are some person used it right before you and they probably didn't wash their hands. The clubs do their best to keep up with the cleaning, but unless each machine has it's own personal clean attendant there will be germs. Do you complain that the supermarket's don't wash the shopping carts between each person? Have realistic expectations.

Posted by: S&H shitbag ()
Date: June 22, 2013 09:54AM

S&H treats their members like shitbag asswipes.

Posted by: B ()
Date: January 07, 2014 04:25PM

I have had no problem with Sport & Health Tysons other than it is EXPENSIVE. Seriously, other clubs I have heard of in the area offer rates at 50% of what I pay for S&H. Granted they have a Pool and a B-Ball court, the equipment is always working and clean, staff is nice - but is that really worth an extra $50/mo? Maybe for some people, but I can't keep paying it.

Posted by: xsporter ()
Date: January 07, 2014 04:49PM

B Wrote:
> I have had no problem with Sport & Health Tysons
> other than it is EXPENSIVE. Seriously, other clubs
> I have heard of in the area offer rates at 50% of
> what I pay for S&H. Granted they have a Pool and a
> B-Ball court, the equipment is always working and
> clean, staff is nice - but is that really worth an
> extra $50/mo? Maybe for some people, but I can't
> keep paying it.

extra $50?! What is the total you pay!?

I go to xsport which has a b-ball court and pool. I pay $32 a month.

Posted by: facepalm ()
Date: January 08, 2014 12:09AM

Jack Bauer Wrote:
> Been a member of Sport and Health at the Regency
> in McLean for several years but can't wait for my
> contact to end soon. It seems like everything
> always break down in that shit hole. Currently
> their hot tub has been out of service for over two
> months, everyweek a couple of their breaks down,
> the sauna doesn't work, and a few weeks a ago they
> closed the pool because of a hygine problem (Some
> women had her period and bleed in the pool) I say
> shit hole because these guys have no comprehension
> of clean. The floors in the men's locker room is
> always wet, it smells bad (because they have no
> idea what air freshners are for), and the floors
> are getting darker by the day because of all the
> mold. The management really could care less about
> you.
> DO NOT JOIN SPORT AND HEALTH.
>
> Please reply back with what gyms I should look at
> in the area and why. Thanks.

You stupid azz. A woman having her period and getting some blood in the pool does not mean the pool needs to be shut down. They chemical the hell out of the water to take care of such things. You don't deserve to be let out of the house much less join a gym.

Posted by: Coffee & Carry ()
Date: January 08, 2014 12:12AM

I pay $91/month but I go 3-4 times a week. Great facilities (Worldgate) and convenient for me.

Posted by: el salvador trabahadorunrdergrou ()
Date: January 08, 2014 01:05AM

mehor vas as xsport, much mas barato.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.