HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
dogwood elementary school
Posted by: usernmae44 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 07:41PM

anyone know what its going on? That school has 4 Vacancy's. Mid-year till June.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dogwood elementary school
Posted by: fo ()
Date: January 30, 2012 07:52PM

That school is about as ghetto as it gets outside of SE DC.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 30, 2012 07:57PM

fo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That school is about as ghetto as it gets outside
> of SE DC.

That's no joke. That whole area back there is chock full of section 8/illegal trash. It didn't used to be like that - I'm talking early 90's.

Posted by: grad-survivor ()
Date: January 30, 2012 08:16PM

I went there back in the 70s... It was terrible. I am a white person, and I certainly learned about racism. On the upside, I got pretty tough- that's what happens when you are in first grade and sixth graders who are like 14 decide they want to fuck with you every day. It got so bad that my folks moved out of there though. In first grade one of my classmates literally fought the principal three times during the year- he damn near won too. It burned down about ten years ago, maybe more, and even after all these years I was glad the fucking place was embers.

Posted by: who ca ()
Date: April 10, 2012 09:15AM

nothing to see here.

Posted by: FIRE ()
Date: April 10, 2012 09:21AM

Posted by: Parent2 ()
Date: April 10, 2012 09:25AM

Well, these last updates are older and my child was not enrolled during this time. However, this is one of the worst schools in the entire Fairfax County Public School system. I say that not only as a parent of a child who attended there, but with input from 3 separate Fairfax County School Teachers. I have two friends with children that attended kindergarten the same year my child did. The material that their children learned in the beginning of the year, my son was learning towards the end of the year. They have no interest whatsoever in assisting children with special needs. Fairfax County has some wonderful schools (so I have heard) but this is definitely not one of them.
—Submitted by a parent

Posted by: Parents reviews ()
Date: April 10, 2012 09:25AM

my children has attended Dogwood Elementary. We've endured bad press, a devastating fire and 3 Principals. I have been a Dogwood supporter all these years. I am involved and often in the building, so I see first hand what goes on there. My kids continue to perform well above average on tests like the SOL's. My oldest child was well prepared and continues to do well in challenging IB courses offered at South Lakes High School. We love Dogwood's diversity. I consider it the best kept secret in Reston!

Posted by: BAD SCHOOL ()
Date: April 10, 2012 09:26AM

Sadly, I believe that the color of your skin and your economic level greatly affects the way you and your children are treated at this school. If you are diligent in monitoring what you are told about what is, or will happen in the school and classroom vs. what actually does happen in the school and classroom you may find what I found--a large discrepancy. Some infractions are minor while others are major and can have a negative impact on not only your child's education but on his or her self esteem. For those who will disagree with me that is fine, and of course it's your prerogative. All I'm suggesting is that you monitor your child's experience at Dogwood very carefully and this includes making unscheduled and unexpected visits to the school. Listen and learn. I sincerely hope that your experience is different from mine. Just because a staff member or part of the administration smiles politely at you and tells you what they believe you want to hear does not mean that your child will be treated well.

Posted by: BAD SCHOOL ()
Date: April 10, 2012 09:26AM

I wish county would realize they can't just throw money at the problem, because the school has been so bad it gets a lot of funding, free lunches, free after school programs, but if the problem is the student body is bad best chance for those kids is to ship them to other schools and make this one a magnet school. You can have the best intentions and funding but until the makeup of the student body changes, it's going to be a bad school.

Posted by: mario ()
Date: April 10, 2012 09:28AM

It cant be that bad. The Hot principal was honored as Principal of the year by the Washington Post.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: April 10, 2012 10:21AM

I find it odd...a school named after a cartoon charecter?
Attachments:
Dagwood.jpg

Posted by: yes it is ()
Date: April 10, 2012 10:57AM

mario Wrote:
> It cant be that bad. The Hot principal was honored
> as Principal of the year by the Washington Post.

3 teachers quit half way trhough the 2nd quarter.

Posted by: connection ()
Date: April 10, 2012 01:47PM

Isn't this principal married to a guy who was involved in a scandal?

Posted by: gt3 ()
Date: April 10, 2012 03:59PM

Yes, and she just got principal of the year! I"m sure that the fact she is boning the Asst Sup. had nothing to do with it. What ever happened to her husband the coach at Centreville.

Posted by: Cursive ()
Date: April 11, 2012 04:26PM

FFCPS allows parents to request and sit-in on on a full day of their child's classes. A parent in the room will surely change the daily dynamic but you might get some piece of mind or discover issues that need to be addressed with the staff to improve a student's future experience in the school.

Posted by: keith ()
Date: February 09, 2013 11:10AM

Dogwood is a flower.......... thats what its named after..

Posted by: VmVCG ()
Date: February 09, 2013 11:33AM

keith Wrote:
> Dogwood is a flower.......... thats what its named
> after..

Dogwood is a dump --- in fact, it burned down and was rebuilt and is now worse than ever --- makes trailer trash seem like a step forward.

Once again, another nail in the coffin of the not-so-good fairfax county school system.

And a poster image of why there must be charter schools in fairfax county ASAP.

Posted by: Two? ()
Date: February 11, 2013 07:27AM

Wow, no other FCPS has two threads named after them, way to go Dogwood!

Posted by: new pricnciapl again ()
Date: July 31, 2014 07:32PM

they have an acting priapic again what happen to the other principal
?

Posted by: bojangles ()
Date: July 31, 2014 10:48PM

When to Dogwood about 20yrs ago. My first day of school there was a bomb threat. I saw dirty, bloody underwear on the walking path on my way home. I was scared to walk home everyday. One teacher use to show up drunk day after day. Finally she was fired or stopped showing up and we had a sub the rest of the year.

I can only imagine what that hellhole is like now. I would rather homeschool than send my kids there.

Posted by: Fully Accredited ()
Date: August 01, 2014 03:58PM

Dogwood elementary school is Fully Accredited for 2014-2015 school year (based on 2013-2014 sol test)

Posted by: twinkles ()
Date: August 01, 2014 04:29PM

Fully Accredited Wrote:
> Dogwood elementary school is Fully Accredited for
> 2014-2015 school year (based on 2013-2014 sol
> test)

If that helps you sleep at night. Truth is Americans are stupid and are getting a piss poor education.

Posted by: correction ()
Date: August 01, 2014 05:30PM

"Truth is Americans are stupid and are getting a piss poor education."

Correction: The new immigrants are getting this. Americans know where to live to get the good education or they choose private schools.

Posted by: Been there, done that ()
Date: April 24, 2016 09:08PM

Dogwood Elem is a joke. m Devers is not a leader, and the scores are "created" to make things look better. Students are not ready for middle school, and parents should beware of poor teaching practices.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.