HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Right-of-way traffic question (advanced)
Posted by: Zak ()
Date: January 27, 2012 03:16PM

This traffic intersection situation seems like it occurs all the time and it really pisses me off. I'm not sure who is at fault since I’m not sure who has the right of way. Here it is:

At a 4-way intersection, controlled by traffic lights, a car wants to turn left during a green signal (NOT the separate left-turn arrow). At the same time, a car approaching from the opposite direction, also with a green signal, wants to turn right onto the same road. Who has the right of way here? I know that car turning left has to yield the right-of-way to cars approaching from the opposite direction, but does the car turning right count?
Attachments:
500px-Street_intersection_diagram.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Right-of-way traffic question (advanced)
Posted by: blanche ()
Date: January 27, 2012 03:19PM

Blue car, ask yourself what if blue car had his turn signal on and then went through the intersection anyway. Don't drive your car based on what you think the other guy will do

Posted by: Dur ()
Date: January 27, 2012 03:31PM

Blue.

Posted by: Whatthehell... ()
Date: January 27, 2012 03:43PM

You know what gets me more? Left turn lane green arrow, someone makes a U-Turn and collides with a guy turning right on a green arrow. When I was doing my drivers ed course, the AAA certified instructor (whatever the fuck that means) said if you stop on a green light, like the one pointing you to go right, you will fail the drivers test. This tells me the guy going right on the right arrow has the right of way. I've seen signs posted specifically stating at one intersection though saying Right turn traffic yield to U-turn traffic, even though they both have green arrows. I never once saw anything in my drivers ed books about this scenario and I'd love to sue to state for such stupidity. Giving both lanes green arrows is like giving both lanes right of way at the same time. If you need to yield, it needs to be posted as such.

Posted by: basically ()
Date: January 27, 2012 03:47PM

it works like this: cars turning left - yield cars turning right - right of way.

thats very high level. to your specific question, unless otherwise indicated by a green left turn arrow, a car turning left on green across traffic must yield to any car coming the opposite direction regardless.

it's pretty much the case no matter what when a car is turning left across a lane or lanes of opposite direction travel.

another - potentially - little known and followed traffic law factoid, based on your above example, is that both cars must maintain their respective lanes. meaning red car must enter the road after the turn in the far left lane and the blue car must execute it's turn staying in the right lane.

in cases where the road being turned on is a single lane, then the car turning right has the full right of way.

Posted by: just what was told to me ()
Date: January 27, 2012 03:52PM

Whatthehell... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know what gets me more? Left turn lane green
> arrow, someone makes a U-Turn and collides with a
> guy turning right on a green arrow. When I was
> doing my drivers ed course, the AAA certified
> instructor (whatever the fuck that means) said if
> you stop on a green light, like the one pointing
> you to go right, you will fail the drivers test.
> This tells me the guy going right on the right
> arrow has the right of way. I've seen signs
> posted specifically stating at one intersection
> though saying Right turn traffic yield to U-turn
> traffic, even though they both have green arrows.
> I never once saw anything in my drivers ed books
> about this scenario and I'd love to sue to state
> for such stupidity. Giving both lanes green
> arrows is like giving both lanes right of way at
> the same time. If you need to yield, it needs to
> be posted as such.

I was told the car doing the U turn must yield as at the point they face each other the U turn car is going left. The other car has a green light and is turning right.

Posted by: Bob in Southeast Loudoun ()
Date: January 27, 2012 03:57PM

Good question, and you are getting good answers.

Because some people apparently don't know this (hence your question), I have seen signs at some locations, such as Braddock Road at Loudoun County Parkway (IIRC) telling the red car in your situation to yield when it has the regular green light (as opposed to the green left turn arrow).

I'm pretty sure that when the red car gets the left-turn green arrow, the blue car would still have a red light.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 27, 2012 05:14PM

I think this may be one of those rules that depends on the state. No idea what the Virginia rule is. Perhaps it is a question for Dr. Gridlock.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 27, 2012 05:25PM

You know what gets me more? Left turn lane green arrow, someone makes a U-Turn and collides with a guy turning right on a green arrow. When I was doing my drivers ed course, the AAA certified instructor (whatever the fuck that means) said if you stop on a green light, like the one pointing you to go right, you will fail the drivers test. This tells me the guy going right on the right arrow has the right of way. I've seen signs posted specifically stating at one intersection though saying Right turn traffic yield to U-turn traffic, even though they both have green arrows. I never once saw anything in my drivers ed books about this scenario and I'd love to sue to state for such stupidity. Giving both lanes green arrows is like giving both lanes right of way at the same time. If you need to yield, it needs to be posted as such.

I've always understood that the car pulling the U-turn is inherently doing something other than what the arrow is indicating (a LEFT turn), therefore, the right turn arrow car has the right of way. I have this issue a lot of times at the light leading into/out of my neighborhood. I normally just yield when turning right because people are generally so self centered that they aren't going to stop. Better to wait those 5 seconds than to get into a wreck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 05:25PM by Warhawk.

Posted by: sasquatch ()
Date: January 27, 2012 05:28PM

Technically the blue has the right of way; HOWEVER if an accident were to occur it would depend on which lane each car was turning into. If blue turned right into the far right (like it's supposed to) and red turned made a wide left into the far right lane, red would be at fault as your are supposed to make a turn into the correct corresponding lane. If red turns into the left lane and blue into the right they both can go about their merry way.

Posted by: I Fear for the Republic ()
Date: January 27, 2012 05:32PM

I hope you're all joking and that you're actually not out on the road without knowing this. Right turn has the right of way, there's sign that says so. Left turn always yields, hence the "left turn yield on green" sign. How many more words do they need to put on the sign before you get it? Oncoming traffic (yes, right turning traffic is oncoming too) ALWAYS gets the right of way.

Posted by: hoser ()
Date: January 27, 2012 05:43PM

Blue.Definitely blue.

A better quiz for all the idiot drivers out there: "What are you supposed to do at this intersection if the traffic signal is out of order in all directions?"

Answer: Treat it the same as a 4-way stop sign intersection.

Posted by: a non moron ()
Date: January 27, 2012 08:10PM

Another question along the same lines that I was honked at for one time:

I had a green left turn arrow, while the car in the other direction wanted to turn right onto the same road as me. I was making a right turn pretty soon after this left, so I went into the right lane of a two lane road from my left turn. The other guy wanted to make a right on red into the right lane. We almost collided, but luckily he stopped in time. Was I in the wrong for going in the right lane instead of the left?

Posted by: Answer Man ()
Date: January 27, 2012 08:32PM

a non moron Wrote:
> Another question along the same lines that I was
> honked at for one time:
>
> I had a green left turn arrow, while the car in
> the other direction wanted to turn right onto the
> same road as me. I was making a right turn pretty
> soon after this left, so I went into the right
> lane of a two lane road from my left turn. The
> other guy wanted to make a right on red into the
> right lane. We almost collided, but luckily he
> stopped in time. Was I in the wrong for going in
> the right lane instead of the left?

Vehicles making right turns on red must stop and yield to all other traffic and pedestrians in the intersection.

See last paragraph:

Title 46.2 MOTOR VEHICLES.
Chapter 8 Regulation of Traffic (46.2-800 thru 46.2-947)

46.2-835
Notwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where signs are placed prohibiting turns on steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal, after coming to a full stop, may cautiously enter the intersection and make a right turn.

Such turning traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic using the intersection.

Date: January 27, 2012 08:49PM

Alright cool. Fuck that guy that honked at me then.

Posted by: yardstick ()
Date: January 27, 2012 10:16PM

What I'd like to know is:

"When is a pedestrian considered "present"?

I see these signs occasionally: No turn on red when pedestrians are present.

What if they are 20 feet from the corner and walking slowly.
What if they are 40 feet from the corner and jogging?
What if they are 50 feet from the corner and sprinting?
What if they are sitting on the corner?

It's easy to say use your judgement but some people have very poor judgement.

Posted by: Neville ()
Date: January 28, 2012 12:41AM

Actually, this is an interesting question, since there are multiple lanes to turn into. Nonetheless, Fairfax Code Section 82-4-55 clearly gives right of way to the blue driver.

In an ideal world, the blue driver SHOULD signal (Section 82-4-2), turn into the curb lane (Section 82-4-48), signal again for 100 feet before he would move into the next lane. That means there SHOULD be no conflict if the red driver would simultaneously turn into his nearest lane. (nonmoron, you should have turned into the nearest lane, and slowly moved over).

In the real world, a noticeable percent of drivers around here don't turn into the nearest lane. We’ve probably all seen turns into a lane three over.

So a reasonable and cautious red driver should wait until the blue driver has completed a turn.

Section 82-4-55. - Right-of-way when vehicle turns to left.

The driver of a vehicle, intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction which is so close as to constitute a hazard, provided, that where there is an automatic signal device governing the flow of traffic at any intersection and allowing turns to the left while all other vehicle traffic is required to stop, any vehicle making such turn shall have the right-of-way over all other vehicles approaching the intersection. ((3-13-63; 1961 Code, § 16-114.)

Section 82-4-2. - Reckless driving; specific instances.

(a) A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who shall:

. . .

(7) Fail to give adequate and timely signals of intention to turn, partly turn, slow down or stop, as required in Sections 82-4-48 through 82-4-52

Section 82-4-48. - Required position and method of turning at intersections; signs.

(a) The driver of a vehicle intending to turn at an intersection or other location on any highway, except as prohibited by the preceding Section or any other provision of this Chapter, shall do as follows:

(1) Right turn. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(2) Left turns on two-way roadways. At any intersection where traffic is permitted to move in both directions on each roadway entering the intersection, an approach for a left turn shall be made in that portion of the right half of the roadway nearest the center line thereof and by passing to the right of such center line where it enters the intersection and after entering the intersection the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection to the right of the center line of the roadway being entered. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be made in that portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the intersection.

(3) Left turns on other than two-way roadways. At any intersection where traffic is restricted to one direction on one or more of the roadways, and at any crossover from one roadway of a divided highway to another roadway thereof on which traffic moves in the opposite direction, the driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any such intersection or crossover shall approach the intersection or crossover in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of such vehicle and after entering the intersection or crossover the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection or crossover, as nearly as practicable, in the left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in such direction upon the roadway being entered.

(4) When markers, buttons or signs are placed within or adjacent to intersections and thereby require and direct that a different course from that specified above in this Section be traveled, no driver of a vehicle shall turn a vehicle at an intersection other than as directed and required by such markers, buttons or signs. ((3-13-63; 1961 Code, § 16-107.)

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: January 29, 2012 02:31AM

This question is only advanced for the special case where Blue makes a wide right and ends up in the left lane around the same time you/Red's entering that lane (perhaps assuming he'll stay in the right and you'll both be OK).

I believe Red is still at fault for not yielding to blue (which is the usual answer as many people have noted) in that case though, despite it being somewhat obnoxious of blue.

Posted by: SAFE TURN ()
Date: January 29, 2012 10:06AM

This sounds like the intersection of Huntsman Blvd and Old keene Mill...PAY ATTENTION SHANNON STATION DRIVERS,RIGHT TURN HAS RIGHT-OF-WAY..I will plow you with my 1/2 in.thick steel bumpers and laugh at you,with your totaled car,because you did'nt PAY ATTENTION...TO BAD SO SAD FOR YOU!!!!!!

Posted by: Indeed ()
Date: January 29, 2012 10:10AM

SAFE TURN Wrote:
> This sounds like the intersection of Huntsman Blvd
> and Old keene Mill...PAY ATTENTION SHANNON STATION
> DRIVERS,RIGHT TURN HAS RIGHT-OF-WAY..I will plow
> you with my 1/2 in.thick steel bumpers and laugh
> at you,with your totaled car,because you did'nt
> PAY ATTENTION...TO BAD SO SAD FOR YOU!!!!!!

I don't think the Shannon Station drivers can read English, bro. But you're not alone in feeling that way.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: January 29, 2012 03:12PM

Neville Wrote:

> (nonmoron, you should have turned into the nearest
> lane, and slowly moved over).

nonmoron was describing a different situation - where RED has a green turn arrrow and BLUE has a red light. Clearly in this situation RED has the right of way into the lane of their choosing.

I agree with the handful of intelligent posters on this thread - it is pathetic that this question needs to be addressed - but no doubt the reason it is being asked is because we have all run into the situation where RED in the OP's scenario thinks they have the right of way. Which is why lots of people in the BLUE situation do not signal their intention to turn right until the last second because if BLUE approaches with turn indicator flashing RED will take that as their cue to cut BLUE off.

In an ideal world BLUE and RED could make the turn simultaneously sure - but with the idiots driving on our roads that is a recipe for an accident - if 50% of people don't even know who has the right of way - what percent could you trust to stay in their correct lane?

Date: January 29, 2012 03:15PM

Left turn on green light (not turn signal) yields. It's pretty basic. If you don't know this, you probably shouldn't have a driver's license.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Date: February 13, 2012 04:00PM

Hey ricky, that hurting Fairfax County cop at the pokey told me it's a LOCK that Virginia does not have a money right-of-way.

Borgata.

Posted by: Fairfax_Driver ()
Date: February 13, 2012 05:36PM

Here is another question, and a pet peeve.

When traveling on Eaton Place (behind Hooters) and approaching Chain Bridge Road, there are 2 lanes (shown as 1 and 2 in the crude drawing below). Lane 1 has the option to turn left, go straight, or turn right - signs and signals are very clear. Lane 2 has ONE option, right turn only.

I would estimate that 80% or more of people in Lane 2, when they turn onto Chain Bridge Road, swing into the middle lane (lane B). Lane 1, if they turn right, are forced into the far left lane (Lane A).

Since the right lane is often longer with the knuckleheads who are staring at the anti-abortion signs on the right and people heading into the Best Western or apartment complex, I usually take the left lane (Lane 1) and turn right. I am tempted some time to take the middle lane on Chain Bridge Road just to prove to the clueless and lazy idiots in the far right lane that, when turning onto a multi-lane road, you stay to the right. How hard is that???
Attachments:
street.bmp

Date: February 13, 2012 06:12PM

Fairfax_Driver Wrote:
> Here is another question, and a pet peeve.
>
> When traveling on Eaton Place (behind Hooters) and
> approaching Chain Bridge Road, there are 2 lanes
> (shown as 1 and 2 in the crude drawing below).
> Lane 1 has the option to turn left, go straight,
> or turn right - signs and signals are very clear.
> Lane 2 has ONE option, right turn only.
>
> I would estimate that 80% or more of people in
> Lane 2, when they turn onto Chain Bridge Road,
> swing into the middle lane (lane B). Lane 1, if
> they turn right, are forced into the far left lane
> (Lane A).
>
> Since the right lane is often longer with the
> knuckleheads who are staring at the anti-abortion
> signs on the right and people heading into the
> Best Western or apartment complex, I usually take
> the left lane (Lane 1) and turn right. I am
> tempted some time to take the middle lane on Chain
> Bridge Road just to prove to the clueless and lazy
> idiots in the far right lane that, when turning
> onto a multi-lane road, you stay to the right.
> How hard is that???

It's not hard. And also not an uncommon problem - I see this many places. VDOT should really have lane striping to help people visually see and follow which lane they are expected to stay in as they make the turn. I would send a message to VDOT asking them to mark or re-mark the lanes. If the intersection already has lane striping then I'd say you are out of luck.

http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/citizen.asp

Posted by: Fairfax_Driver ()
Date: February 13, 2012 07:31PM

No striping. I'll think I'll take out the 95 Explorer (the one with the dent in the door and rust), turn right from the left lane to the middle lane, sideswipe some clueless yuppie, and have them ticketed for improper lane change and failure to yield.

View Larger Map

Date: February 13, 2012 08:01PM

Ah yes, I always go in lane 1 here. I don't trust the people in lane 2 to make the proper turn so I just head to the far left lane every time.

Posted by: oakton's finest ()
Date: February 13, 2012 08:11PM

a non moron Wrote:
> Ah yes, I always go in lane 1 here. I don't trust
> the people in lane 2 to make the proper turn so I
> just head to the far left lane every time.

Exactly what I do. And since I am generally headed to 66E, I then hit the accelerator, cut in front of the asshole that has just drifted into center lane, and give them the good ol' PG Co. wave.

Date: February 13, 2012 08:23PM

As an example if you look at the below you can see there are 2 left turn lanes but VDOT has a curved stripe to give drivers visual cues as to which lane to stay in.

View Larger Map

Posted by: Lloydster ()
Date: February 14, 2012 12:09PM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
> As an example if you look at the below you can see
> there are 2 left turn lanes but VDOT has a curved
> stripe to give drivers visual cues as to which
> lane to stay in.
>
> View Larger Map

Even if you view the larger map that's a shitty picture of an example. You lose.

I could be wrong but I'm right 99% of the time

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 14, 2012 03:48PM

really, op?

.......................really?
Attachments:
left_turn_yield_on_green.jpg

Date: May 23, 2012 11:30AM

What's interesting is that a variation of the OP's scenario happened right in front of me this weekend.

In this case, I was behind the 'red' car and had cleared the interesection, when I saw that the blue car was gradually swinging out into the new left lane, and he and the red car collided.

If it had been immediately as they turned, red would have been at fault. However, as I told the officer (and two insurance companies now), since I was already through the intersection and behind the red car, blue's "right" to turn into whichever lane he wanted was over. At that point he was essentially just switching lanes and didn't look - not continuing part of his original turn.

Posted by: ASN1668 ()
Date: May 23, 2012 12:08PM

Holy fucking crap, this is considered "advanced?"

No friggin wonder.

Posted by: Eaton ()
Date: May 24, 2012 06:12AM

Eaton & 123

Up until 123 was repaved, a dashed turn line used to be through this intersection. The line was drawn between to instruct Eaton lane 1 to 123 A and Eaton lane 2 to 123 B or C.

Date: May 24, 2012 07:41AM

@Eaton - there are signs on the light that tell traffic what to do regarding lane choice.........speaking of Eaton: http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/articles/accident-on-route-123-and-eaton
@ASN1668 - I guess it's like rocket science to some ppl LoLz
@snowden - blue car NEVER had a "right" to switch lanes to begin with - yr supposed to stay in in the lane closest to you after you turn: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-846
1. Right turns: Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway.

I say it's not practical in this case since switching lanes caused an accident. Did blue car even ever signal? No matter they are gonna get in some trouble...................unless, of course, they work for the FAA in which case the judge will just wash his hands of it and say it's ok, right? LoLz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 07:45AM by Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: May 24, 2012 08:27AM

Whatthehell... Wrote:
> You know what gets me more? Left turn lane green
> arrow, someone makes a U-Turn and collides with a
> guy turning right on a green arrow.

I agree. This is just poor planning by VDOT. I've seen some signs indicating who has the ROW, but absent that, it's not clear.

In fact, the intersection of Fair Lakes Circle and Shoppes Lane is even worse. The U-turn lane gets a left arrow. At the same time, the driver coming out of Shoppes Lane has a Right arrow to make a right at the intersection.

So both lanes have green arrows, and both could, and have almost collided (I've seen it happen). I'd bet cars have collided there.

Who's at fault when both drivers have green arrows?

Not. Rocket. Science.
Date: May 24, 2012 08:51AM

it's not poor planning - it's you not knowing the law. U turns ALWAYS YIELD to someone turning right from the intersecting street. When the right-turner has an arrow, they have the official "green" along with those turning left from your street. Since "you" are doing a U-turn and NOT a left turn, you have to yield. Now if the right-turner doesnt have a light, you would STILL have to yield to them if they are already in the intersection when you make your U-turn. The right-turner, in turn, would have to stop before making their right so they would have to yield to yr U-turn ONLY if you are already making your U-turn in the intersection before they precede after stopping.

here.........maybe this will help y'all :)

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv39.pdf

Re: Not. Rocket. Science.
Date: May 24, 2012 09:11AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> it's not poor planning - it's you not knowing the
> law. U turns ALWAYS YIELD to someone turning
> right from the intersecting street.

Good to know. But where is that written?

The DMV book states, the yield is for "approaching traffic". The problem is that the right turning car is not approaching, and in fact, when it's a problem, isn't even at the intersection when the U-turn is started. So imagine you see no approaching traffic, have a green arrow, start the u-turn, then someone comes down the Shoppes road and makes a right without stopping because they have a green arrow also.

The other issue here is that a green arrow gives people the idea, however incorrect, that with a green arrow their turn is protected.

"U-turns are not legal everywhere. Before you
make a U-turn, check for No U-Turn or No Left
Turn signs. In business districts, cities and towns,
U-turns are allowed only at intersections. Never
make a U-turn on a highway.
When making a U-turn, turn on your left-turn signal, stop,
and yield for approaching traffic. When the way is clear,
proceed into the outside or right hand lane traveling in the
opposite direction.

Re: Not. Rocket. Science.
Date: May 24, 2012 09:14AM

trogdor! Wrote:

> The other issue here is that a green arrow gives
> people the idea, however incorrect, that with a
> green arrow their turn is protected.

DMV confuses the issue by noting that when turning with a green arrow, you only need to yield to drivers coming from the other direction, in this case the other driver is coming perpendicular to you.

At a green arrow, you may go in the direction of the arrow if the way is clear. If you are turning, you must yield the right-of-way to vehicles coming from the other direction and pedestrians in the intersection.

Date: May 24, 2012 10:50AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:

> @snowden - blue car NEVER had a "right" to switch
> lanes to begin with - yr supposed to stay in in
> the lane closest to you after you turn:
> http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+co
> d+46.2-846
> 1. Right turns: Both the approach for a right turn
> and a right turn shall be made as close as
> practicable to the right curb or edge of the
> roadway.
>

Perhaps "right" is the wrong word, but this entire thread has been about the fact that red has to yield to blue, even if blue swings out into the new left lane. Sure, he's not supposed to, but red would still be found at fault if they collided immediately after the intersection.

To rephrase, in my situation I was saying since they collided a decent ways after the intersection (since I had already cleared it behind red), red at that point is no longer responsible for yielding to blue (as he was 30 yards earlier).

Date: May 24, 2012 02:23PM

@snow - yr very "right" :) regarding what you saw. But I still say that if both cars came out at the same time, and blue swung out of it's lane and broadsided red that blue would be at fault as long as red was clearly in their lane. That may be up to a judge to decide, but that's how I'd see the law. Reason being, if red is broadsided, then red was already in that lane. But I bet that's a judgement call for a cop and a judge.
@trog - here's what you are missing - the arrow is for left turns, NOT for U turns. Tricky, isnt it? So the way the Commonwealth and VDOT sees it, when you are making a left turn, you have extra stuff you need to deal with MORE than if you are just making a left. That's why it's talking about the "direction of the arrow"
Also, the "other" direction refers not strictly to oncoming traffic on the roadway you are on. The "other" direction can refer to the perpendicular street in a U-turn situation since as you are making the U-turn, you are at some point in time facing that car on the perpendicular street making the right. And if that car making the right has a right turn arrow, you have to yield to them.

p.s. they actually have U-turn lights (yep, with little "U"'s on them and everything LoLz) and yes, they work differently in turns of who gets to go where. I dunno if VDOT uses, though..........

Date: May 24, 2012 10:28PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
- > @trog - here's what you are missing - the arrow is
> for left turns, NOT for U turns. Tricky, isnt it?
> So the way the Commonwealth and VDOT sees it,
> when you are making a left turn, you have extra
> stuff you need to deal with MORE than if you are
> just making a left. That's why it's talking about
> the "direction of the arrow"

Update:

Drove through there today and noticed that VDOT has put up signs now saying that the U-Turn must yield to right turning vehicles.

Posted by: Smart driver ()
Date: May 26, 2012 07:19AM

Virginia and practically all other states do not assign the right of way to anyone.

The law and the driving regulations state who must yield (give up) the right of way under certain driving situations. But every driver, motorcyclist, moped rider, bicyclist, and pedestrian must do everything possible to avoid a crash. When you yield the right of way to another vehicle, you are letting them go before you in the traffic situation.

But no one really has right of way.

Posted by: another curve ()
Date: August 27, 2013 09:56AM

Blue car stops at red light, sees a truck in his lane far enough to turn right and stay in the far right lane. Car in left lane passes truck crosses lane in the intersection and swipes the blue car. Real life....

Trying to verify if all lights have cameras?

Thoughts from the intelligent pool!

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:25PM

While we are pondering scenarios - this is one that got me not so long ago:

I was in left turning lane (BLACK) with a green yield to oncoming traffic. Truck in opposite left turn lane (BLUE) also waiting and yielding to oncoming traffic. Traffic clears on my side so I enter the intersection to make my left turn. Small car in opposite left turning lane (CYAN) behind the truck suddenly swings out from behind the truck and goes straight through the intersection hitting the tail end of my car.

The truck was large enough I was not able to see the car until it darted out from behind the truck. The car did cross a solid white line to get out of their turning lane - who is at fault?
Attachments:
collison.jpg

Posted by: Pjjhv ()
Date: August 27, 2013 10:46PM

RydellRoad Wrote:

>
> The truck was large enough I was not able to see
> the car until it darted out from behind the truck.
> The car did cross a solid white line to get out
> of their turning lane - who is at fault?

I'm guessing you were (black car), as VA code 46.2-825 http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-825 says that vehicles turning left must yield, and that sold white lines are not illegal to cross (only 'intended to 'discourage') crossing.

But if that's what happened, you got screwed. Hopefully it was at least a 50/50.

Posted by: kaveri gopakumar ()
Date: April 02, 2016 04:24PM

right

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: April 02, 2016 08:41PM

Answer Man Wrote:
> a non moron Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Another question along the same lines that I
> was
> > honked at for one time:
> >
> > I had a green left turn arrow, while the car in
> > the other direction wanted to turn right onto
> the
> > same road as me. I was making a right turn
> pretty
> > soon after this left, so I went into the right
> > lane of a two lane road from my left turn. The
> > other guy wanted to make a right on red into
> the
> > right lane. We almost collided, but luckily he
> > stopped in time. Was I in the wrong for going
> in
> > the right lane instead of the left?
>
> Vehicles making right turns on red must stop and
> yield to all other traffic and pedestrians in the
> intersection.
>
> See last paragraph:
>
> Title 46.2 MOTOR VEHICLES.
> Chapter 8 Regulation of Traffic (46.2-800 thru
> 46.2-947)
>
> 46.2-835
> Notwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833,
> except where signs are placed prohibiting turns on
> steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red
> signal, after coming to a full stop, may
> cautiously enter the intersection and make a right
> turn.
>
> Such turning traffic shall yield the right-of-way
> to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent
> crosswalk and to other traffic using the
> intersection.

Well, someone else woke up this thread, so I gotta comment on this scenario: when I learned to drive, I was told that your right-of-way when turning extended to the nearest lane only. So when there's a left green arrow and two lanes, the left-turning car is legally required to turn into the nearest lane, just as the right-turning car with the red light is both required *and entitled* to turn into the nearest lane.

I've run this by a couple of cops and they weren't sure! I know that's what I was taught, but of course that was many years ago and in California.

Discuss.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: April 02, 2016 09:24PM

I would assume that if the law did state that that would be before the turn not during it because that could cause an accident.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 09:26PM by Gerrymanderer2.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: April 02, 2016 09:27PM

But that makes sense. To fill the lanes closest to the turn first because those lanes are farthest from opposing traffic during a turn. Using those lanes primarily if empty would reduce the risk of collision.

Posted by: hYYxd ()
Date: April 02, 2016 11:24PM

your all wrong, while i wont recite all rules involved

the question is MUTE

because it is ILLEGAL, and used to be ticked, for a car making the right turn to switch lanes anywhere close or inside the intersection

therefore it does not matter who has the right of way: because there are two lanes there should be no conflict

don't tell f'ing foreigners that they don't know - though they all seem to have paperwork from DMV

i caught DMV posting false questions on the test (incorrect information in book and or improperly worded question)

i asked for pencil and paper they said ok. then when i question them about the wrong "computer test employee (hindu bitch) tried to steal the sheet of paper out of my hand after promising she would

i asked for pencil and paper they said ok. then when i question them about the wrong "computer test employee (hindu bitch) tried to steal the sheet of paper out of my hand after promising she would

now here's a point: I say they were doing that to fail people to force them into an expensive "driver class"

i also accuse them of letting (asian women) get paperwork without ANY TESTS i can tell some of foreigners driving absolutely have no respect for law and also by look of question on face have absolutely no idea what the laws are either.

it was also a hindu bitch (different one) that enforced "forced injections" upon me at a fx co gov facility - which fx co gov has still skipped court over - my lawsuit against them concerning. i could tell she did it because i'm white and i wouldn't doubt from the look of hate on her face if she didn't put radiator fluid in the medicine which: looked exactly like radiator fluid, color, everything.

Posted by: 7FYe6 ()
Date: April 02, 2016 11:25PM

happens whenever i go to town

i see shit they'd rather i had not noticed, and i know what to do with what i see

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: April 02, 2016 11:50PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> I would assume that if the law did state that that
> would be before the turn not during it because
> that could cause an accident.

If that was in response to what I wrote, it had too many pronouns--I'm not sure what you meant?!

Posted by: yHD6c ()
Date: April 12, 2016 11:59AM

yHD6c

Posted by: YYP ()
Date: August 13, 2019 04:16PM

WHAT IF THE BLUE CAR MADE A WIDE TURN AND ENTERED INTO THE LEFT LANE?

Posted by: Jesus H. Christ ()
Date: August 17, 2019 07:25PM

It never fails to amaze me how stupid these drivers are out there. The blue car has a green light and is turning right, therefore has the right of way. And the blue car can take either lane they wish, because.....THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!

Posted by: Shig ()
Date: September 23, 2023 10:35AM

Every single comment here is wrong, period. Car turning right is required to stay in the right most lane while turning, car turning left is required to turn into the left most lane while turning. They turn simultaneously. Why do you think there are so many double wide roads for only 100ft and they go back to single lane after the intersection… precisely for this reason. I literally can’t believe there are many morons here who think they’re right. This entire thread should be deleted. This is clearly illustrated in the driving handbook you get in drivers Ed when you’re like 15. Left turn yield on green sign are specifically for oncoming traffic to make sure people look before they cross oncoming traffic, had literally zero to do with which lanes you’re required to turn into.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.