HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why are so many topics being moved of the list?
Posted by: Confused ()
Date: January 24, 2012 03:44PM

Why are so many topics being moved of the list? Don't understand the reasons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why are so many topics being moved of the list?
Posted by: MS-14 ()
Date: January 24, 2012 03:48PM

Because Cary runs this site, mang...

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: January 24, 2012 04:04PM

Because this is the Fairfax General forum, if the thread isn't specifically pertinent to Fairfax County, then he moves it to Off-Topic. This is all explained at the top of the page in the first thread where it says "New users read this first".

Posted by: Andrew Ryan ()
Date: January 24, 2012 04:17PM

It's Cary's sandbox, we jus' piddle it it.

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: January 24, 2012 04:46PM

Confused Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why are so many topics being moved of the list?
> Don't understand the reasons.

I try to keep the "Fairfax General" forum as Fairfax-centric as possible. If something is especially interesting to Northern Virginia residents it belongs in the Fairfax General forum. If something is interesting to Northern Virginia residents but EQUALLY AS INTERESTING to residents of Richmond, or California, it generally does not belong in the Fairfax General forum. If I were to allow all threads on taxes or cell phones, to name some examples, to persist in the Fairfax General forum it would quickly become a general discussion forum and not cover topics specifically interesting to Northern Virginia residents.

When I move a thread from the Fairfax General forum that has some relation to Northern Virginia I usually edit the top post of that thread to explain my reasoning behind the move. If I feel that the reasoning for moving a thread is obvious I generally do not leave an explanation. If a thread is extremely Off-Topic or has no replies I usually "blind move" the thread without leaving behind a "Move Notification." If the thread is only slightly Off-Topic, or has already gathered a large number of replies I'll move the thread but leave behind a "Move Notification" so that users who expect to see the thread in Fairfax General can more easily find that thread's new location.

As I haven't left many explanations on the recently moved threads, I'll explain my reasoning here. The current "front page" moved threads in Fairfax General are as follows;

This topic has been moved.: Loudoun Co RE assessments arrived
This thread was specific to Loudoun County and the thread starter offered very little information on the subject. If the thread starter has posed a question such as "When does Fairfax release their real estate assessments?" or some other bit of information other than simply "No change in RE value" it may have been Fairfax-specific enough to warrant staying in Fairfax General. Moved to the Loudoun County forum.

This topic has been moved.
: Warlocks MC Of PWC 3rd Annual Deep Freeze Party Warlocks MC Of PWC 3rd Annual Deep Freeze Party

This post references an event in Woodbridge (Prince William County). There was no information provided in the post except for a date/time and address. These facts coupled with the recent flood of "Warlocks" and various motorcycle club threads caused me to move this thread to the Prince William County forum. If a back-story that involved Fairfax was attached the post may have qualified to remain in Fairfax General.

This topic has been moved.: Caps 2013 uniforms leaked online
This one is a bit trickier. Threads on Washington sports teams ARE generally permitted in Fairfax General as they are in particular interest to our region, but this particular post contained nothing but a link to a photobucket.com image and offered no supporting evidence. General threads regarding our regional sports teams are permitted, but I certainly do not want a new thread in Fairfax General each time a CAPS/Wizards/Redskins player sneezes or stubs a toe. Thread was moved to Off-Topic (but with a Move Notification noting its partial legitimacy).

This topic has been moved.: Tax refund
This is a state-wide issue and not particularly relevant to Fairfax County. If this thread had gathered a large amount of responses from other Fairfax County residents it would have been permitted to persist in Fairfax General for several weeks until the responses begin dieing off. Thread moved to Off-Topic.

This topic has been moved.: Anyone switch from Verizon to Page Plus in this area?
This is another issue which does not specifically target Northern Virginia/Fairfax County. If "Page Plus" actually operated their OWN network here in Northern Virginia it would be a different story, but as they are a CMDA reseller, and thus use Sprint or Verizon's towers, this discussion is best suited for the Off-Topic section.

This topic has been moved.: Knife laws in Va
This is another example of a Virginia-wide discussion. Note that this thread was created in September of 2010 and was only recently moved to the Off-Topic forum. If Fairfax County Municipal Code had specific regulations on knives that were being discussed, or if a particular run-in with a Northern Virginia police officer were the topic at hand this thread would be on-topic for Fairfax General. But as this is general discussion that would be no more interesting to a Fairfax resident than a Richmond resident it has been moved to Off-Topic.

I'm really just posting these explanations here to be included in a future "FAQ" section, which admittedly should have been created long ago.

Like the threads in my examples above this thread will be permitted to remain in Fairfax General for a few days and will then be moved to Off-Topic (with a move notification).

If you ever have any further questions feel free to post them to the top thread Welcome to Fairfax Underground! [New users read this first] or simply email me directly at cary@fairfaxunderground.com

- Cary (the admin)

Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: January 24, 2012 06:04PM

See above for why users of this site like Cary.

Date: January 24, 2012 06:14PM

Why did the "People of Fairfax unite!" thread get moved? Just kidding. I thought that guy was an asshole too.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: January 24, 2012 06:14PM

Awesome explanation Cary, thanks for that.

Actually since Misery is gone I started reporting Off Topic threads here again... without him clogging Off Topic with pointless threads I no longer worry that off-topic yet useful/interesting threads will go unseen.

Posted by: Confused ()
Date: January 24, 2012 07:18PM

Excellent explanation - although the Gutter Helmet person may want to find out if the local service is any good.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.