HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Drivers on Popes Head Road
Posted by: Resident ()
Date: January 23, 2012 07:05PM

Whats with the majority of vehicles dropping their speed to around 15=25mph on that straight heading in the direction of Ox Road. It creates a long line of cars going bumper to bumper ten miles below the limit.

Some vehicles even slow down abruptly passing by that schools entrance, and almost come to a dead stop. Whats going on?. Usually occurs during late hours in the evening.

Informative feedback appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drivers on Popes Head Road
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: January 23, 2012 08:02PM

Could be slowing for deer, it is a heavily-wooded area.

Date: January 23, 2012 08:05PM

I would understand that, but that's not the case.

Posted by: Fine Slickness ()
Date: January 23, 2012 08:58PM

not only deers, theys a lot of the retards in the area to. could be hitting one of them in the road with they helmets and big speciul shose.

some big house on that corner got a few of them there. run out in the street lots not knowing bout trafic

Posted by: barney ()
Date: January 23, 2012 09:43PM

Maybe it's the frequent radar at ISA?

Date: January 23, 2012 10:05PM

Would you care to elaborate on that?

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: January 24, 2012 08:41AM

You didn't see the 'retards crossing' sign?

Posted by: barney ()
Date: January 24, 2012 10:56AM

Resident Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would you care to elaborate on that?

Elaborate on what, radar?

If so, you haven't noticed the frequent police presence at ISA (or the nearest street to it)? I sure have, and like at all known speed traps, I do the fucking speed limit there. I don't slow down to 15-25, but I don't go over the limit of 30.

I don't enjoy giving my hard earned money to the courts and my insurance company, so it's too fucking bad if you have the misfortune to be behind me on Pope's Head. Why don't you just pass me on the double solid yellow and hope the cops ain't there when you pop up over that hill running 45 or 50.

Date: January 24, 2012 07:32PM

barney Wrote:
> Resident Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Would you care to elaborate on that?
>
> Elaborate on what, radar?
>
> If so, you haven't noticed the frequent police
> presence at ISA (or the nearest street to it)? I
> sure have, and like at all known speed traps, I do
> the fucking speed limit there. I don't slow down
> to 15-25, but I don't go over the limit of 30.
>
> I don't enjoy giving my hard earned money to the
> courts and my insurance company, so it's too
> fucking bad if you have the misfortune to be
> behind me on Pope's Head. Why don't you just pass
> me on the double solid yellow and hope the cops
> ain't there when you pop up over that hill running
> 45 or 50.

I see what you were getting at. When you said Radar at ISA, i got confused. To tell you the truth, i have not encountered any police presence on that stretch of road. Of course, having a radar/lidar detector and jammer, helps not having to be on the lookout every second. I wouldn't bother passing someone doing the speed limit. However, its the ones going ten miles under that gets under my skin. Its also hard passing several cars in front of you doing 15-25mph. I'm not going to risk life/limb for some time saved.

Thanks for the input.

Posted by: Emilyn ()
Date: August 21, 2012 12:59PM

I'm with Barney. I've seen the police out there several times in the past few months. I go the speed limit. I have an old sedan (my beloved Groucho). I always get these angry ladies in huge SUVs who drive RIGHT on my bumper, practically shaking their fists out the window, spitting and cursing. I couldn't care less. Technically, Groucho is totalled due to having a kid crash into the passenger side. Once those angry birds get a peek at Groucho's battle damage, they usually realize I can't be intimidated and back off. But I'm not going fast for anyone. It is not a privilege to hand over my cash to The Man. If they need to be there earlier, they should leave sooner.

Posted by: SuzyQ ()
Date: August 21, 2012 07:36PM

Grew up down Popes Head and family still lives there. I often drive the strech between the FFx Co Parkway and Ox/123. In all of the 30+ years I've either driven or watched my parents drive, police often sit right next to the ISA with the white fence. Just as you crest the hill heading to Ox/123, there they sit. When coming from Ox/123 towards the parkway, just as soon as you round the corner before the hill they will pop you. I ALWAYS slow down there and always have - they sit there frequently enough that when the weather is nice I'm surprised not to see them there.

It does not create traffic though - its about a 1/4 mile strech where people drop speed to just a little over the limit of 30mph.

I have to admit, people that stick to 30mph make me crazy on that road. I won't ride anyones bumper (hate that) but it does make for an unpleasant ride. That limit was set back when the bridges were only one lane and the road was narrower.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: August 21, 2012 08:21PM

barney Wrote:
> I sure have, and like at all known speed traps, I do
> the fucking speed limit there.

Emilyn Wrote:
> I'm with Barney. I've seen the police out there
> several times in the past few months. I go the
> speed limit.

LOL, I love people who slow all the way down to the speed limit (or even below) because they're scared of getting pulled over. As if you're going to get pulled over for going 5 over. Or 7 over. Or anything less than 10 over (outside of very special circumstances like school zones).

It's so cute that full-grown adults can be so naive. :-)

Posted by: Cops troll this site to find a life ()
Date: August 21, 2012 08:24PM

From "Out of Control: AN Informal History of the Fairfax County Police. At amazon

SHOOT FIRST, LIE LATER
From 2005 through 2010, nine people were killed in Fairfax County police-involved shootings. Twelve people were wounded.

OUR POLICY ON DEALING WITH THE MENTALLY ILL? KILL THEM

“A recent police study found that you're much more likely to get shot by a fat cop if you run.” Dennis Miller

Ian Smith, a Herndon man was shot by a Fairfax County police even though he was known by police to be severely mentally ill. When the cops gunned him down, he was wielding a plastic replica of a pistol with a red tip on the end of it. The cops were close enough to see that it was a toy because he was gunned down at very close range, close enough to leave burn marks on his clothes.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: August 22, 2012 07:16AM

@Kilton - i hear ya - but still, I cant argue with "better safe than sorry" LoLz

Posted by: The Questioner ()
Date: August 22, 2012 08:10AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @Kilton - i hear ya - but still, I cant argue with
> "better safe than sorry" LoLz

I can. This business of slowing down more than 5mph below the posted limit around known speed traps is a problem throughout the region. My favs are the radar cameras downtown that have been there for nearly 10 years in some cases and traffic just crawls. The cameras don't fire unless you're above the limit so...exhibit some fucking driving competency and drive the limit. And honestly, where does it stop? 5mph below? 10mph below? Why bother taking the car out at all? At some point driving below the limit to avoid a speed trap makes you into a rolling chicane and a hazard to the driving public. Oh...and since I'm responding to a Gordon Blvd remark...I have to be sure and add...and that goes double if you're not white...

Date: August 22, 2012 08:48AM

The Questioner Wrote:
> I can. This business of slowing down more than
> 5mph below the posted limit around known speed
> traps is a problem throughout the region.

Forget below -- slowing down to the speed limit is utterly retarded. Even the automatic speed cameras don't give tickets at less than 10 above the limit.

You're right about the "better safe than sorry" approach, though. It's nonsensical, mainly used by old ladies, foreigners, and minivan drivers -- and the occasional FFU poster. :-)

Posted by: Emilyn ()
Date: August 22, 2012 01:44PM

@Kilton: First, I am cute. I am utterly adorable. Second, I would not worry too much about the dangers of exponentially increasing numbers of people driving WAY! TOO!! SLOW!!! in NoVA (or DC). Something tells me that doesn't rank as high in the traffic problem hit parade around here as "Old People Making Illegal U Turns", "People Who Seem Unable to Comprehend Any Traffic Signs at All", or, possibly, "Too Goddamn Much Traffic." I do slow down, in that one spot (and you're right, it is to more like 35, and I don't think I've ever driven 30 on all of Pope's Head, and I've followed cops going way faster). But honestly, Pope's Head Road isn't the back 40 at Talladega. Just how fast do you expect me to go? (And remember. Groucho is awfully old, and totalled.)

Date: August 22, 2012 09:07PM

Emilyn Wrote:
> Just how fast do you expect me to go?

Well I think I pretty much answered that above. If you're going 35 then I'll let it slide. Outside of highly unusual circumstances (OH NO THERE'S A COP OVER THERE!!! not being one of them) anything under 5 above the limit is unacceptable. Speed limits are intentionally under-posted and everyone knows it.

Then again, people who name their cars tend to be mentally ill anyway, so in your case just the fact that you manage to drive on the right side of the road would probably be sufficient for me. :-)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.