HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Do I REALLY need a lawyer???
Date: January 21, 2012 10:45AM

So here's the deal. Back in June 2011 I was stopped for speeding (my first speeding ticket or run in with the law EVER) I was charged with reckless driving by speed in Dec. and my license was suspended for 60 days. I received 30 days in jail with 29 suspended and 3 yrs probation. The judge said that he would give me a restricted license so I could go to work. He told me to always carry my work schedule with me and if I needed to fill up for gas do so as close to work or home as possible to prevent getting pulled over. He said that he hoped I learned my lesson and said I could leave.

Long story short, Jan 9th I'm pulled over while coming home from work. Officer gave me a ticket for driving on a suspended. She said that I did NOT have a restricted license and to get one I would have to go back down to the court and apply for one. o_O

I've already paid all of my court fines and My suspension is up Feb 13th. However I have court for driving on a suspended Feb 23rd.

By the time I go to court my license will be back fully reinstated.

My question is should I really spend $500 to hire another lawyer or can I defend myself?

I just don't want to violate my suspended jail time. I am a single mother that needs to work. If I had of known all I had to do was fill out some paper work before I left court, there is no reason I wouldn't have. I simply didn't know that I did.

Anyone ever been through a similar situation and can give me any advice?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do I REALLY need a lawyer???
Date: January 21, 2012 10:45AM

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2012 10:47AM by JustTryingToDoTheRightThing.

Posted by: VaDrivingLawSuck ()
Date: January 21, 2012 11:08AM

Virginia has the most broad "reckless driving" statute in the US. They can charge almost any driving behavior as "reckless". It is scam to keep cops, lawyers and judges employed. The reckless drving law in Virginia does nothing to promote safety.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: January 21, 2012 12:03PM

I'd get a lawyer. $500 will seem cheap if you don't pay it and end up spending 30 days in jail. You want the best shot you can get. If you do that and get jail, at least you'll know you did the best you could.

Also, since you're facing jail time, if you can't afford a lawyer, the court will appoint one for you. They will do so at the hearing and will give you a continuance (probably a month or so) so you can meet with the lawyer.

Date: January 21, 2012 12:33PM

I find it odd that as a single mother and presumed first time offender the reckless wasn't negotiated down. There must be more to this story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: January 21, 2012 01:45PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it odd that as a single mother and presumed
> first time offender the reckless wasn't negotiated
> down. There must be more to this story.

Yep. Note also that she neglects to mention why she was pulled over a second time.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: January 21, 2012 03:56PM

So you never actually GOT the restricted license, the judge just told you you could get one? Well, live and learn. A lawyer would probably be better at getting you out of this than you will.

Don't they arrest you for driving on suspended? They certainly don't let you drive off after they give you a ticket, right?

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: January 21, 2012 04:07PM

How fast were you going and why were you pulled over the second time? Gotta be more to your story.

Posted by: no saint ()
Date: January 21, 2012 04:23PM

Good luck with the case, but if you've been stopped three times in seven months, I think you need to step back and take a look at your driving. You're doing something that attracts the pigs' attention.

I'm no saint behind the wheel and I drive pretty much the way I please, but I haven't been stopped since 1982. I simply pay attention to what's going on around me, I don't drive with dead tags/inspection or burned out lights, or have juvenile shit on my car like tinted windows.

Posted by: Just Say No ()
Date: January 22, 2012 02:37AM

. . . or a bunch of stickers on your car. Or ANY stickers on your car. No one cares what bands you like or who you voted for, except maybe that cop behind you.

Date: January 22, 2012 02:47AM

Well I was going 98/70 with my son in the car...we were headed out of town.

Date: January 22, 2012 02:48AM

After talking with lawyers, they said the officer ran my tag which showed the owner of the vehicle's license was suspended.

Date: January 22, 2012 02:50AM

I replied to others with those answers.

Date: January 22, 2012 02:51AM

No she released me on a summons...

Date: January 22, 2012 02:56AM

It was twice, once for speeding the other I really don't know why. It could have been because it was so late at night (I got off of work at midnight). The area where I live the police are moderate to heavy most of the time (fairfax county). My tags weren't dead, no tents on my car, no expired inspection, or anything.

The cop was just driving behind me, (i was doing 35/45) all of a sudden I see blue lights...

Posted by: Hello Retardo. ()
Date: January 22, 2012 03:23AM

JustTryingToDoTheRightThing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I was going 98/70 with my son in the car...we
> were headed out of town.

Heh.

Posted by: HA ()
Date: January 22, 2012 11:01AM

WOW you have mentioned you were driving 98/70 with your SON in the car?? You got what you deserved.

Date: January 22, 2012 12:59PM

Yea I agree...
I was in my brand new car, no cars on the hwy. chit chatting. It was so smooth I didn't even pay attention. There was no danger. Just going straight in the middle of daylight on an empty hwy...

Posted by: try paying attention ()
Date: January 22, 2012 03:45PM

Right,,,,, until a deer runs out in front of you at 98 mph and then you and your kid look alot like whats left of the deer, too bad you procreated

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.