HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Should FFX County Build a quarter-mile track?
Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: February 29, 2008 09:49PM

Should the county build a quarter-mile track for drag racing?

I am talking a track that could (would??) be sanctioned by the NHRA or the IHRA and run in a respectable maner.

While it could be said that there is too little land left and what remains is maybe too valuable, there is land adjacent to Dulles Airport that is practically useless for anything but storage or wharehouses - or maybe a racetrack??

The county already has their training facility near there for the FCPD and there might even be land left or on the tract for something like this.

In California, land of the liberals, even the LAPD and Sheriff's dept. along with the CHP have campaigned cars for the quarter mile there, and use it to reach out to teach safety, amongst other things.

What does FFX U.G. think??????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should FFX County Build a quarter-mile track?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 29, 2008 10:02PM

What does FFX U.G. think??????

I'd be pretty pissed if my taxes were used to build a race track.

It is not the job of government to tax us so they can re-distribute the wealth to such a small number of people-- especially for a recreational activity.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if a private venture built something like that around here. I think it'd be pretty cool actually.

Date: February 29, 2008 10:10PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What does FFX U.G. think??????
>
> I'd be pretty pissed if my taxes were used to
> build a race track.
>
> It is not the job of government to tax us so they
> can re-distribute the wealth to such a small
> number of people-- especially for a recreational
> activity.
>
> That being said, I wouldn't mind if a private
> venture built something like that around here. I
> think it'd be pretty cool actually.

What about a public/private partnership?? With sanctionaing and sponsorship, it could be possible...

Or, just like the park service builds skate parks and other recreation facilities that I do not have any interest or use for, the county finds value in having them as an asset.

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: February 29, 2008 10:48PM

No!

45 minutes drive - http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:22PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
>> What about a public/private partnership?? With sanctionaing and sponsorship, it could be possible...

I don't know a thing about owning and operating a drag strip, but it would have to be a very unique proposal to get me on board with this idea. We all live on an expensive piece of ground here, and it sounds like it would take a whole lot of leg-work to find private partners willing to invest in something so expensive. Why wouldn't those same investors just hook up with developers to build something that is sure to be more profitable?

[i.e. You’d have to find a couple hardcore DIY investors, then it might work.]

>> Or, just like the park service builds skate parks and other recreation facilities that I do not have any interest or use for, the county finds value in having them as an asset.

I agree. But a skate park, pool, or tennis court probably costs alot less than the overhead required to manage and operate a quarter mile drag strip.

We live in a county with over a million people, and such a big investment would likely only cater to a few hundred on any given night. Most likely, it would attract a lot of non-county residents that would come here to receive the benefits of something me and you paid for.

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: March 01, 2008 01:29AM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> Should the county build a quarter-mile track for
> drag racing?
>
> I am talking a track that could (would??) be
> sanctioned by the NHRA or the IHRA and run in a
> respectable maner.
>
> While it could be said that there is too little
> land left and what remains is maybe too valuable,
> there is land adjacent to Dulles Airport that is
> practically useless for anything but storage or
> wharehouses - or maybe a racetrack??
>
> The county already has their training facility
> near there for the FCPD and there might even be
> land left or on the tract for something like
> this.
>
> In California, land of the liberals, even the LAPD
> and Sheriff's dept. along with the CHP have
> campaigned cars for the quarter mile there, and
> use it to reach out to teach safety, amongst other
> things.
>

Let's rename this thread to "NoVA Rednecks Unite!"

Posted by: RAT'Z AZZ ()
Date: March 01, 2008 07:39AM

Fairfax County cannot even run their school system, public safety, public works or any other department efficiently and you suggest they become involved in a highly dangerous, liability laden enterprise like drag racing? Quit sniffing the gasoline, NO2 or Nitro Methane, dude.

They piss away our tax dollars so much even Hillary is jealous.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/crash-victims-family-sues-aussie-racer/2007/06/27/1182623969222.html?s_cid=rss_age

Date: March 01, 2008 08:28AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
>
> I don't know a thing about owning and operating a
> drag strip, but it would have to be a very unique
> proposal to get me on board with this idea. We
> all live on an expensive piece of ground here, and
> it sounds like it would take a whole lot of
> leg-work to find private partners willing to
> invest in something so expensive. Why wouldn't
> those same investors just hook up with developers
> to build something that is sure to be more
> profitable?
>
>

Using land that might be avail. on the existing tract of land that holds the FCPD road / driving track adjacent to the airport would make further use of otherwise, worthless land.

Drive back there some time... From Rt50 to the IAD property line, it is pretty junky - except for the AVION Pkwy area.

>
>
> > I agree. But a skate park, pool, or tennis court
> probably costs alot less than the overhead
> required to manage and operate a quarter mile drag
> strip.
>
> We live in a county with over a million people,
> and such a big investment would likely only cater
> to a few hundred on any given night. Most likely,
> it would attract a lot of non-county residents
> that would come here to receive the benefits of
> something me and you paid for.

Insurance on a pool is HUGE!!! And I am fairly certain there are more drowning deaths each year at pools, than there are deaths at sanctioned drag strips.

The attraction of non-county residents would not be a bad thing. With a proper revenue structure, say 30 bucks to race and 10 bucks to watch (not far off from your avg. Fri. night grudge races at the Maryland Quarter-mile tracks) would make for a pretty good draw.

Driver/passenger would bring in $40.00/per car and if 200 cars showed up on any given night, $8,000 per night would not be a bad deal and most tracks are run like two nights a week, fri night and sat or a mid-week night as well. So for a $16,000 per week take, which could be bigger with addl. participation,

In fact, $832,000 is the yearly draw using those figures x 52 weeks in a year. Not bad, for an operation that is open for 2 days a week.

If that third day was added, it would jump to 1,248,000. Again, not a bad number and probably more an the mini-gold courses rake in for the county, etc.

Date: March 01, 2008 08:29AM

Bubba Wrote:
> >
> Let's rename this thread to "NoVA Rednecks Unite!"

How ignorant...

Date: March 01, 2008 08:31AM

Lurker.. Wrote:
> No!
>
> 45 minutes drive -
> http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

Summit Point is too far for most. 45 miutes is true, if you live in the centreville/chantilly area.

For those who live in the eastern or southern areas of ffx county, Summit Point is much further. That, and there is no quarter mile facility there.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: March 01, 2008 08:43AM

I don't know about 1/4 mile, but you have a track in Manassas (Old Dominion Speedway). It doesn't make any money and the city/county have been trying to close it for years because it is noisy and junky.

Build one in Fairfax? Sounds like a "great" idea.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 01, 2008 09:43AM

I'd rather have Fairfax County spend money trying to shut down tracks in neighboring counties to move them farther out from where we live. They don't belong up here, they belong over in Front Royal or Winchester or down in Stafford County and points south and west.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 09:43AM by pgens.

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: March 01, 2008 12:07PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> Bubba Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >
> > Let's rename this thread to "NoVA Rednecks
> Unite!"
> __________________________________________________
> _____
>
>
> How ignorant...

That you spend 5hrs watching cars circle a track and call me ignorant says it all about your mental capacity.

HeeHaw

Posted by: The Economist ()
Date: March 01, 2008 12:43PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
>
> build a race track.
>
> activity.
>
> That being said, I wouldn't mind if a private
> venture built something like that around here. I
> think it'd be pretty cool actually.

I never like government involvement in anything, but using your logic, then why do we have wakefield rec center. I'm pretty sure more people would use the racetrack than play racquetball. If you saw what I wrote in the other thread, there's no room left in fairfax county for a private company to build a track, and if there was, no home owner's association would allow it due to noise problems.

Posted by: The Economist ()
Date: March 01, 2008 12:45PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> I don't know about 1/4 mile, but you have a track
> in Manassas (Old Dominion Speedway). It doesn't
> make any money and the city/county have been
> trying to close it for years because it is noisy
> and junky.
>
> Build one in Fairfax? Sounds like a "great" idea.

Not true, they closed down. Developers took over the area. And ffx8nv, tracks would not operate 52 weeks a year. It would be alot more like 35 weeks a year. Mid March - Early November.

Posted by: Racer ()
Date: March 01, 2008 01:25PM

The Economist Wrote:
> Not true, they closed down. Developers took over
> the area. And ffx8nv, tracks would not operate 52
> weeks a year. It would be alot more like 35 weeks
> a year. Mid March - Early November.

No, actually, Old Dominion is still operating. Drag races on Friday nights, circle track races on Saturday nights. Schedule is on this link. It was sold to a developer, and he backed out due to the market being down.
http://www.olddominionspeedway.com/OD_Speedway_About_Us.html

Date: March 01, 2008 01:53PM

The Economist Wrote:
> > Not true, they closed down. Developers took over
> the area. And ffx8nv, tracks would not operate 52
> weeks a year. It would be alot more like 35 weeks
> a year. Mid March - Early November.

I know other sanctioned tracks in this area (MD) are open from Feb - Thanksgiving, but the stret racing has no callendar.

Possum Point didn't ever shut down unless it rained or snowed, but I see what you are getting at. Maybe 35 weeks of being open due to rain-outs, etc would be fair, but remaining open or being available for rent at other times might make up for the rest.

The FACTS...
Date: March 01, 2008 02:03PM

I started this thread, to discuss if a 1/4 mile track could/should be built in ffx co. Let's go back a few paces and talk about the proposal with facts:

1. it is understood that NOBODY wants this in their backyard. This is why I said to build/use the are by IAD that the county already HAS their driving track at.

1a. Noise would not be heard if done in an area such as above, or one zoned as industrial. Mufflers would be requiered, period.

2. It could be used as a money maker. Parks & rec. could charge $$$ to use the facilities vs. the raquetball and mini gold courses that just sit.

3. FFX Co. does not like street racing. Neither did LA county and they chose to be proactive, participating in sanctioned events at area tracks, campaiging their drag cars/motorcycles.

4. Regarding danger, I have seen a few crashes at street night at the drag strips, but with safety inspections on each car beforehand by track officials, nothing has been major.

5. To add to the safety concerns, Using my recollection, I understand that there are more drownings in public pools that there are deaths at drag strips in the USA each year.

With the info above in mind, please continue to discuss...

Date: March 01, 2008 02:06PM

Bubba Wrote:
> That you spend 5hrs watching cars circle a track
> and call me ignorant says it all about your mental
> capacity.
>
> HeeHaw

Bubba, please stop talking about things you know nothing about. A 1/4 mile track is NOT the same as a high-speed oval. Again, how ignorant...

In the case of this discussion, you would be out of your depth, in a parking lot puddle. RIF.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 01, 2008 03:41PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
>
> build a race track.

i would be really pissed off too.

> activity.

agreed!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Frank ()
Date: March 01, 2008 04:58PM

We've already established that there are at least two tracks supporting this type of behavior / lifestyle / function within 45 minutes of most parts of this county. There is NO NEED for the county to explore this type of idea. It's a stupid idea and would be a waste of money. If these speed racer types love driving so much, the drive from Fairfax to Manassas or Summit Point shouldn't bother them.

Besides, it doesn't matter whether a track is in the area or not. Nothing, and I mean, nothing, would stop two random idiots with raging testosterone and confidence from pulling up next to each other at a traffic signal at night and racing. If the opportunity and convenience are there, idiots will seize the opportunity no matter what. Case in point, the two jerks who were busted the other day in Fairfax despite all the publicity the PG event generated.

Date: March 02, 2008 12:32PM

Frank Wrote:
> We've already established that there are at least
> two tracks supporting this type of behavior /
> lifestyle / function within 45 minutes of most
> parts of this county. There is NO NEED for the
> county to explore this type of idea. It's a
> stupid idea and would be a waste of money. If
> these speed racer types love driving so much, the
> drive from Fairfax to Manassas or Summit Point
> shouldn't bother them.
>
> Besides, it doesn't matter whether a track is in
> the area or not. Nothing, and I mean, nothing,
> would stop two random idiots with raging
> testosterone and confidence from pulling up next
> to each other at a traffic signal at night and
> racing. If the opportunity and convenience are
> there, idiots will seize the opportunity no matter
> what. Case in point, the two jerks who were
> busted the other day in Fairfax despite all the
> publicity the PG event generated.

Frank, I know this site sometimes has some threads that are hard to follow, but I did not think this was one of them.

Reading is fundamental, geez.

We are not talking about road courses such as Summit Point - that was stated earlier.

Old Dominion Speedway has not been very friendly from my observations, in booking any regular track events. Most car clubs in this area no longer run any events there on either their oval track, or their 1/8th mile quarter. You know Frank, there is a difference between those tracks. Again, RIF.

So aside from those who are shouting out, NOT WITH MY TAX MONEY, I have not heard any legitimate argument. And I am not saying that the tax money argument is legit either. There are plenty of things this county spends money on that I do not agree on, but as a whole, it makes one fine place to live!

So, back on track, building a ¼ mile drag track on a tract of land such as the remote land near the FCPD track that exists, which is near Dulles Airport, would not interfere with housing or create noise over the sounds of passing airplanes during takeoff/landing.

I think the one thing we can agree on Frank, is idiots will be an idiot in any arena. Stoplight running has been around forever and will be for as long as someone thinks they have the faster horse. But this is not the behavior that a county sanctioned track would quell.

Hopefully this has helped expand your understanding on what is being discussed here.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:38PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> Bubba, please stop talking about things you know
> nothing about. A 1/4 mile track is NOT the same as
> a high-speed oval. Again, how ignorant...

ffxn8v, please stop talking about things you know nothing about. There are 1/4mi ovals you know. Again, how ignorant...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 01:41PM by joe.

Posted by: pony man ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:25PM

Just contact Jerry Connelly. Tell him the track will be used by illegals to race their uninsured cars. He will rubber stamp the approval just like that.

Date: March 02, 2008 02:28PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> Frank Wrote:
> -----
> > We've already established that there are at
> least
> > two tracks supporting this type of behavior /
> > lifestyle / function within 45 minutes of most
> > parts of this county. There is NO NEED for the
> > county to explore this type of idea. It's a
> > stupid idea and would be a waste of money. If
> > these speed racer types love driving so much,
> the
> > drive from Fairfax to Manassas or Summit Point
> > shouldn't bother them.
> >
> > Besides, it doesn't matter whether a track is
> in
> > the area or not. Nothing, and I mean, nothing,
> > would stop two random idiots with raging
> > testosterone and confidence from pulling up
> next
> > to each other at a traffic signal at night and
> > racing. If the opportunity and convenience are
> > there, idiots will seize the opportunity no
> matter
> > what. Case in point, the two jerks who were
> > busted the other day in Fairfax despite all the
> > publicity the PG event generated.
>
> __________________________________________________
> __________
>
> Frank, I know this site sometimes has some threads
> that are hard to follow, but I did not think this
> was one of them.
>
> Reading is fundamental, geez.
>
> We are not talking about road courses such as
> Summit Point - that was stated earlier.
>
> Old Dominion Speedway has not been very friendly
> from my observations, in booking any regular track
> events. Most car clubs in this area no longer run
> any events there on either their oval track, or
> their 1/8th mile quarter. You know Frank, there is
> a difference between those tracks. Again, RIF.
>
> So aside from those who are shouting out, NOT WITH
> MY TAX MONEY, I have not heard any legitimate
> argument. And I am not saying that the tax money
> argument is legit either. There are plenty of
> things this county spends money on that I do not
> agree on, but as a whole, it makes one fine place
> to live!
>
> So, back on track, building a ¼ mile drag track on
> a tract of land such as the remote land near the
> FCPD track that exists, which is near Dulles
> Airport, would not interfere with housing or
> create noise over the sounds of passing airplanes
> during takeoff/landing.
>
> I think the one thing we can agree on Frank, is
> idiots will be an idiot in any arena. Stoplight
> running has been around forever and will be for as
> long as someone thinks they have the faster horse.
> But this is not the behavior that a county
> sanctioned track would quell.
>
> Hopefully this has helped expand your
> understanding on what is being discussed here.

ffxn8v,

You are an idiot. I know precisely what is going on here. My comments are relevant to this conversation. You are proposing an asinine idea. The county does not want a bunch of racers loitering about so close to a restricted police training area, and I doubt MWAA wants them so close to the restricted airport area. Do you know what else is in the area besides the track? A pistol and rifle range. Do you really think FCPD wants a bunch of yahoo racers hanging out there?

Date: March 02, 2008 02:59PM

joe Wrote:
> ffxn8v Wrote:
> -----
> > Bubba, please stop talking about things you
> know
> > nothing about. A 1/4 mile track is NOT the same
> as
> > a high-speed oval. Again, how ignorant...
>
> ffxn8v, please stop talking about things you know

> nothing about. There are 1/4mi ovals you know.
> Again, how ignorant...

We are not talking about your high school gym track, give your mom back her computer. Please.

Date: March 02, 2008 03:04PM

Frank Wrote:
> >
> ffxn8v,
>
> You are an idiot. I know precisely what is going
> on here. My comments are relevant to this
> conversation. You are proposing an asinine idea.
> The county does not want a bunch of racers
> loitering about so close to a restricted police
> training area, and I doubt MWAA wants them so
> close to the restricted airport area. Do you know
> what else is in the area besides the track? A
> pistol and rifle range. Do you really think FCPD
> wants a bunch of yahoo racers hanging out there?

Wow, caling me names, ok there internet tough guy...

You continue to post without a clue so allow me to help you with a few things.

MWAA owns has jurisdiction INSIDE the big black fence, not outside.

Regarding the county property near there, I said ON the tract of land, not INSIDE their FCPD compound. There IS a difference an yes, I DO know what is all there.

Furthermore, lumping "racers" together as crminals is a bunch of crap. I have said all along, this should be sanctioned by a group like the NHRA or the IHRA, both are respected groups.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:08PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> We are not talking about your high school gym
> track, give your mom back her computer. Please.

Dude, you are so full of shit! There are so many goddamn 1/4mi ovals. Just because NASCAR doesn't race on them doesn't mean they don't exist. You know nothing about racecourses. Please stop. Now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 03:08PM by joe.

Date: March 02, 2008 03:24PM

ffxn8v Wrote:

>
> Wow, caling me names, ok there internet tough
> guy...
>
> You continue to post without a clue so allow me to
> help you with a few things.
>
> MWAA owns has jurisdiction INSIDE the big black
> fence, not outside.
>
> Regarding the county property near there, I said
> ON the tract of land, not INSIDE their FCPD
> compound. There IS a difference an yes, I DO know
> what is all there.
>
> Furthermore, lumping "racers" together as crminals
> is a bunch of crap. I have said all along, this
> should be sanctioned by a group like the NHRA or
> the IHRA, both are respected groups.

Well, ffxn8v, I believe it was you who first took a swipe at me (as well as others) with your idea that I cannot read or understand what is being discussed here. Since you seem to be promoting reading comprehension today, perhaps you will take another look at what I wrote?

In both instances regarding FCPD and MWAA I clearly and plainly wrote both jurisdictions would most likely not want racers to be loitering about "SO CLOSELY" to restricted areas. I don't believe at any point I mentioned anything about being within the confines of airport property or the police training area (although the tract of county property is designated for use by the police only).

We have already discussed the fact that property is expensive in this area. What makes you think that Fairfax County or FCPD will just cede a valuable piece of land they may need for possible expansion of training facilites just to appease a small group of racers?

The police training area is placed in that remote area for a very good reason. It abuts another restricted area at the airport. The police have outdoor pistol and rifle ranges in the area, a canine training facility and a driver's training track. At no point did I allude to racers being "criminals" as you seem to believe. It is my belief that FCPD and MWAA don't want ANYONE near the restricted areas. Don't believe me? Go ahead and try to enter either property, both clearly marked "No Trespasssing", without permission and see how quickly you are on this website asking for a lawyer recommendation like many others.

Your proposal is ill-conceived at best.

Trying to discuss this issue with you is like trying to rationalize with a brick wall.

I'm done offering up my opinion. Have fun with your idea.

Posted by: Tony Stewart ()
Date: March 02, 2008 07:02PM

I thought ODS was purchased by a group of land speculators. I thought by now we would be seeing a few thousand more townhomes down there.

I remember when they purchased the track they said they wanted to keep it as is but no one believed that.

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: March 02, 2008 07:47PM

Put it in Manassas, near the airport would be cool. People would start bitching about the noise if it were in Fairfax County.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: March 02, 2008 07:55PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> Possum Point didn't ever shut down unless it
> rained or snowed,

Possum Point wasn't a 1/4 mi track though either.

The Economist Wrote:
> -----
> > > Not true, they closed down. Developers took
> over
> > the area.
>
> They didn't shut down, thank God =D We're there every Friday. Yeeehaw!

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:39PM

Either way the area south of Dulles which is wooded is proposed to eventually become another runway

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.