HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pupil Place by April 15th
Posted by: AP - Angry Parent ()
Date: February 29, 2008 07:43AM

In the process of filling out the pupil-placement to move my rising 9th-grader from SLHS to OHS, I realized the deadline is April 15th. Going to head over to South Lakes today to give Bruce Butler my form.

What is everyone else doing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pupil Place by April 15th
Posted by: Angry Cougar Parent ()
Date: February 29, 2008 08:00AM

Same here. I am going to see Mr. Butler today. He knows because I told him I was coming with the form.

Posted by: Carson Mom ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:21AM

I have been reading the threads in this forum and I knew this day would come. I just downloaded the forms. Can anyone who has been through this process answer a few questions?

So I fill out the forms and request to go to Oakton based on a desire for the AP curriculum, right?

Also, then I first give them to the South Lakes principal?

Thanks! Alot.

Posted by: Harry Beaver ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:25AM

HEHE

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:30AM

I think you parents should have applied for pupil placement long before today. Don't you think it's gonna look bad that you are applying NOW for some bogus reason.The cluster offices will most likely turn you down. I'm just saying.

Trickie

Posted by: Carson Mom ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:45AM

Well Trickie, I sure hope not. My daughter is in the GTC center at Carson now and is taking Geometry Honors and so I think she will be eligible to take AP Stat her sophomore year, after she takes Algebra II Honors next year. So she has been in two high school honors math courses before high school, and also Spanish. I hope that will be enough to get it approved.

Do you really think they will turn it down because I'm turning it in today? It said on another thread that Bruce Butler accepted some parents form and said he would hang onto it until after the vote. And then send it to Oakton's principal.

Having said that, he probably has a stack of them. But Oakton is going to have about 200 slots open for anyone who wants to apply. The Navy students won't be enough to make a dent in the loss of Fox Mill.

Looks like everyone needs to move fast.

Posted by: Another Option ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:50AM

Another option is to contact a real estate agent and see whether you can sell or rent your house and move back into the Oakton/Westfield boundaries.

Just a thought. It's a real hassle but there is nothing stopping anyone from doing what they think is necessary.

Posted by: Harry Beaver ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:52AM

RUN
RUNNNNN

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: February 29, 2008 01:25PM

Doesn't make much sense to apply to be pupil placed until you know what your base school is.

Posted by: Angry Cougar Parent ()
Date: February 29, 2008 01:40PM

Carson Mom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well Trickie, I sure hope not. My daughter is in
> the GTC center at Carson now and is taking
> Geometry Honors and so I think she will be
> eligible to take AP Stat her sophomore year, after
> she takes Algebra II Honors next year. So she has
> been in two high school honors math courses before
> high school, and also Spanish. I hope that will
> be enough to get it approved.
>
> Do you really think they will turn it down because
> I'm turning it in today? It said on another
> thread that Bruce Butler accepted some parents
> form and said he would hang onto it until after
> the vote. And then send it to Oakton's principal.
>
>
> Having said that, he probably has a stack of them.
> But Oakton is going to have about 200 slots open
> for anyone who wants to apply. The Navy students
> won't be enough to make a dent in the loss of Fox
> Mill.
>
> Looks like everyone needs to move fast.

Just dropped the form off and the lady at the front office said that the principal's assistant will call back to schedule an appointment to go over the pupil placement form with the principal. Don't know if it means he will approve or deny, but the lady said he will want appointments with all the parents concerning pupil placement forms. Thanks to the SB especially Stu's botched up decision last night!!!! He was really a piece of work insulting those who are being forced to go to SL!!

Posted by: AP vs IB ()
Date: February 29, 2008 01:45PM

Carson Mom Wrote:
> I have been reading the threads in this forum and
> I knew this day would come. I just downloaded the
> forms. Can anyone who has been through this
> process answer a few questions?
>
> So I fill out the forms and request to go to
> Oakton based on a desire for the AP curriculum,
> right?
>
> Also, then I first give them to the South Lakes
> principal?
>
> Thanks! Alot.

According to the current list, the AP schools for South Lakes' base students are Madison and Herndon. Click here to see: http://www.fcps.edu/ss/student-transfer/infofiles/APandIB-list.pdf

Mr. Butler should be able to tell you if that is correct or not.

Posted by: Viking ()
Date: February 29, 2008 01:58PM

Good to know. I intend on getting over there sometime next week. Whomever meets with me will get an honest answer as to why:

1. I want the AP curriculum for my son. I can't afford to find out in five years that he will not receive any college credits. And by afford I mean financially.

2. I want to keep my kids together in the same school. I don't have the time/money to support and drive between two separate high schools. I can't be two places at one time. Sorry, but I can't afford a car for each child, nor the time and gas costs.

3. And last but not least, I have learned that when whites stand around and accuse each other of racism and bigotry, it's never ever beneficial for any minorities. We get blamed eventually and I have found it's much, much better to avoid those whites. Never personally had this same problem at Oakton.. ever, it's never been an issue.

Date: February 29, 2008 02:02PM

It says closest to base school or residence. I'm using residence and Oakton is just as close as Herndon and closer than Madison.

So I'm sticking with Oakton and the SB said they would accept pupil-placements for AP.

Madison is on the "closed" list for this school year also. If it can't accept any transfers then Oakton -- being that it will be way under capacity next school year -- will have to accommodate the transfer students.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: February 29, 2008 03:42PM

All the spots have been taken at Oakton because other angry parents got them first. You will all go to south lakes and your kid will get killed in a gang violence. If you are worried about your kid's safety then take them to the gym and have them work out. Fat, smart kids dont do well in public high school. If you dont like it then send them to private school.

Posted by: student fed up with angry parents ()
Date: March 01, 2008 09:34AM

all of the parents who are upset there kids are going to SL have pretty much ruined there chances by slandering SL at the town meetings and through e-mails. Saying that SL is a school of drugs, violence, and is too diverse just ruined ur chances. You parents are acting like spoiled children. I know change is hard but your acting like your kid is going to a D.C. public school insead of south lakes

first off is SL is such a bad school tell me y then last year they sent more graduates off to UVA by number than any other FXCO school? Oh yeah Y did their valedictorian go off to Yale? I guess yale must be a drug and gang school too. Oh yeah y does SL get more TJ transfers? oh wait I know its because SL actually has a better math program than TJ. suprise suprise.

Maybe SL has lower test scores bu then again they also have the highest percentage of english as a second language students than any other high school. Meaning that no matter what if a child who struggles with english takes a test that is written in englsh you get lower scores.

And lets talk about diversity. SL has students from over 57 nationalities and students benefit from such a cultural rich school. You angry parents should know that public schools aren't run like country clubs and just because you bought your house in a particular neighborhood 15 years ago doesn't mean that your intitled to go to oakton or whatever school you predestined ur child for

My favorite rumor has to be the ones going on about IB. Students with IB diploma have just as much opportunity to get college credit as AP kids. By the way colleges in the next few years won't even be giving credits especially to AP because they want students to learn at a college level and pay more for the tution. Colleges are being to notice the IB program more and more. Many Ivy league schools actually prefer the IB program because unlike AP it is more focused on communication, writing, and community service. IB has also been PROVEN to prepare students better than any other program for college.

You can do what u want to fight this RD but there is really nothing you can do

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Date: March 01, 2008 01:40PM

student fed up with angry parents Wrote:
> My favorite rumor has to be the ones going on
> about IB. Students with IB diploma have just as
> much opportunity to get college credit as AP kids.
> By the way colleges in the next few years won't
> even be giving credits especially to AP because
> they want students to learn at a college level and
> pay more for the tution. Colleges are being to
> notice the IB program more and more. Many Ivy
> league schools actually prefer the IB program
> because unlike AP it is more focused on
> communication, writing, and community service. IB
> has also been PROVEN to prepare students better
> than any other program for college.
>
> You can do what u want to fight this RD but there
> is really nothing you can do
>
You don't know what you're talking about. If the IB diploma is so wonderful and superior to an AP curriculum, then why were there only 55 seniors at SL last year that were in the IB diploma program, of which only 45 actually got the diploma? Unless a student gets the actual IB diploma, he or she is still at a big disadvantage as far as getting college credit for the AP vs. IB courses. That may not be deserved, but that is irrelavent. Fact is, that's the way it is right now, and kids taking AP courses WILL end up with more college credit than non-IB diploma IB students.

Posted by: reply to SBS ()
Date: March 01, 2008 01:54PM

SBS Wrote:

> >
> You don't know what you're talking about. If the
> IB diploma is so wonderful and superior to an AP
> curriculum, then why were there only 55 seniors at
> SL last year that were in the IB diploma program,
> of which only 45 actually got the diploma? Unless
> a student gets the actual IB diploma, he or she is
> still at a big disadvantage as far as getting
> college credit for the AP vs. IB courses. That
> may not be deserved, but that is irrelavent. Fact
> is, that's the way it is right now, and kids
> taking AP courses WILL end up with more college
> credit than non-IB diploma IB students.

reason y only 45 students get the actual diploma is because it is the most rigorus program out there. They way things are now probably will change in the four years that the students first affected by the RD. More colleges are not giving any credit any more because they realize they get paid less. By the way if u go out for IB diploma (not nes. actually getting it) VTech will give you sophmore status by the end of your first semester. I honestly don't believe in getting college credit in any high school setting. high school should be about high school and college should be about college. More AP kids who get moved up because of credits have worse grades in college than IB by the way. Ap and IB are both good programs but IB is superior in preparing any student for college and makes that student that much more attractive than any AP kid

Posted by: not giving up ()
Date: March 01, 2008 05:48PM

You is spelled you, not u. The first letter of a sentence is Upper Case.

Weren't you taught this in your IB program?

Date: March 01, 2008 06:20PM

reply to SBS Wrote:
> reason y only 45 students get the actual diploma
> is because it is the most rigorus program out
> there. They way things are now probably will
> change in the four years that the students first
> affected by the RD. More colleges are not giving
> any credit any more because they realize they get
> paid less. By the way if u go out for IB diploma
> (not nes. actually getting it) VTech will give you
> sophmore status by the end of your first semester.
> I honestly don't believe in getting college credit
> in any high school setting. high school should be
> about high school and college should be about
> college. More AP kids who get moved up because of
> credits have worse grades in college than IB by
> the way. Ap and IB are both good programs but IB
> is superior in preparing any student for college
> and makes that student that much more attractive
> than any AP kid

What point are you arguing? Everyone will agree that the IB diploma is a very rigorous program. But 45 IB diploma graduates out of the entire senior class? Even if VT and other colleges give generous college credit for just "trying" to get the IB diploma, that is STILL only 55 total students out of the entire class last year. Considering that the IB diploma system puts a huge burden on the school's resources, it is not a very efficient program.

Not supporting college credit for advanced high school courses makes about as much sense as saying students should not take Algebra-I until 9th grade. Would you rather have the students in AP (or IB) courses sitting in a class bored out of their mind because the more mainstream course material offers them no challenge? I would hope not. So, if they take the advanced courses, but don't get college credit for them, then they have to sit through introductory classes in college that also don't provide much challenge.

The numbers with respect to college credit given simply don't support your assertion that IB (non-diploma) students are more attractive to colleges than AP students.

Posted by: AP vs IB ()
Date: March 01, 2008 09:01PM

SBS Wrote:
> I would hope
> not. So, if they take the advanced courses, but
> don't get college credit for them, then they have
> to sit through introductory classes in college
> that also don't provide much challenge.

You all do know that any student can take the college's placement tests to place out of courses, don't you? All the stress of which earns more credit is somewhat silly in this regard. An AP student who bombs his exam, and an IB student who does the same, or doesn't earn the full diploma, can both take placement exams. Granted, they essentially have to take 2 exams, but if the focus is to place out of intro classes all students, even those that don't take
"advanced course work" can take the placement exams.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: March 01, 2008 10:20PM

IB is too hard...that's your objection to it. The only thing "advanced" about AP is your delusions of grandeur as it applies to your slack jawed kid.

Tell your prodigies to log off MyFace, quit TXTing their moron friends and crack the books! Acceptance to TJ is the ultimate immunity from capricious School Board actions......

If they get into TJ (and keep their grades up)...you will NEVER,EVER have to worry about them being redistricted.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: March 02, 2008 12:57AM

Pupil placement shouldn't be a problem. Mr. Butler wants a meeting with parents to try to talk them out of pupil placing out of South Lakes. Meet with him, smile a lot, and stick to your guns. He doesn't really have any choice since students at every other high school can pupil place out to schools that have the space.

You can even put your pupil placed student on the neighborhood bus to Oakton.

More information here:
http://www.fairfaxcaps.org/html/pupil_placement.html

Date: March 02, 2008 12:58AM

duh Wrote:
> IB is too hard...that's your objection to it. The
> only thing "advanced" about AP is your delusions
> of grandeur as it applies to your slack jawed
> kid.
>
> Tell your prodigies to log off MyFace, quit TXTing
> their moron friends and crack the books!
> Acceptance to TJ is the ultimate immunity from
> capricious School Board actions......
>
> If they get into TJ (and keep their grades
> up)...you will NEVER,EVER have to worry about them
> being redistricted.

True. What a shame that the SB won't let us have more such schools.

Date: March 02, 2008 01:34AM

duh Wrote:
> IB is too hard...that's your objection to it. The
> only thing "advanced" about AP is your delusions
> of grandeur as it applies to your slack jawed
> kid.
>
> Tell your prodigies to log off MyFace, quit TXTing
> their moron friends and crack the books!
> Acceptance to TJ is the ultimate immunity from
> capricious School Board actions......
>
> If they get into TJ (and keep their grades
> up)...you will NEVER,EVER have to worry about them
> being redistricted.

What are you rambling on about? TJ is ranked as the #1 high school in the COUNTRY, and it does not offer an IB diploma, but it does offer AP courses. I guess all those TJ students have delusions of grandeur as well. If you can say nothing with at least some small measure of intelligence, stop wasting bandwidth.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:46AM

SBS Wrote:
> duh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > IB is too hard...that's your objection to it.
> The
> > only thing "advanced" about AP is your
> delusions
> > of grandeur as it applies to your slack jawed
> > kid.
> >
> > Tell your prodigies to log off MyFace, quit
> TXTing
> > their moron friends and crack the books!
> > Acceptance to TJ is the ultimate immunity from
> > capricious School Board actions......
> >
> > If they get into TJ (and keep their grades
> > up)...you will NEVER,EVER have to worry about
> them
> > being redistricted.
>
> What are you rambling on about? TJ is ranked as
> the #1 high school in the COUNTRY, and it does not
> offer an IB diploma, but it does offer AP courses.
> I guess all those TJ students have delusions of
> grandeur as well. If you can say nothing with at
> least some small measure of intelligence, stop
> wasting bandwidth.

OH! Now I get it! Since TJ offers AP courses...AP courses taken by inferior students, at inferior schools, are just as good, right?

Well, butter my ass and call me a biscuit!!!

PS: Unless you are paying for the "bandwidth"...STFU

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 03:47AM by duh.

Date: March 02, 2008 05:45AM

My goodness, how odd, none of the top schools have IB, nor do they want it. The parents of those students want a real American education so that their children are prepared for REAL AMERICAN colleges. Of course for those 2 or 3 students in FCPS who plan to attend college in Europe, they might want to check out IB since it is Euro focused and designed for European colleges.

Are dumb kids out of luck?
Date: March 02, 2008 07:30AM

If you were a parent with a kid who could not do very well in an IB or AP class, then what? Lots of people have kids who don't get good grades in high school. So will those kids be allowed to be pupil placed or can they even take AP classes?

Posted by: Lillibit ()
Date: March 02, 2008 08:24AM

Trickie has a good point. On the other thread one Mom said her son couldn't pupil place back to Madison because he didn't have a 3.5 or higher .... in middle school! How ridiculous. Now that is really an infringement on equal rights. Isn't it a goal of any school to encourage every student to stretch themselves.

You just know that this pupil-placing business could be so unfair if some can and some can't. FCPS is already way too elitist.

Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: March 02, 2008 08:35AM

Lillibit Wrote:
> Trickie has a good point. On the other thread one
> Mom said her son couldn't pupil place back to
> Madison because he didn't have a 3.5 or higher
> .... in middle school! How ridiculous. Now that
> is really an infringement on equal rights. Isn't
> it a goal of any school to encourage every student
> to stretch themselves.
>
> You just know that this pupil-placing business
> could be so unfair if some can and some can't.
> FCPS is already way too elitist.

Right, the school board told us the other night that we didn't have school choices, only the County did. The thing is, the County does not know EACH individual student and his/her academic needs. Only the parents and their kids know best. If they feel AP or IB is a good fit for their kids, then pupil place (if AP or IB is not offered at their base school) if necessary otherwise the kids who do not want the AP or the IB program are stuck at their base schools.

Posted by: Ombudsman ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:03AM

Neen Wrote:
> Pupil placement shouldn't be a problem. Mr.
> Butler wants a meeting with parents to try to talk
> them out of pupil placing out of South Lakes.
> Meet with him, smile a lot, and stick to your
> guns. He doesn't really have any choice since
> students at every other high school can pupil
> place out to schools that have the space.
>
> You can even put your pupil placed student on the
> neighborhood bus to Oakton.
>
> More information here:
> http://www.fairfaxcaps.org/html/pupil_placement.ht
> ml

Two questions...

1) I read the pupil placement information on both the FCPS and CAPS websites and still don't understand the foundation for allowing a 9th grader to be reassigned from an IB to an AP school since few, if any, freshman are taking AP courses. This is not true of IB since there is a sequential schedule starting in 9th grade. How would the preparatory courses at SL be any different than what is available at Westfield, Chantilly or Oakton? If there is not any, could this be used as a reason to defer a pupil placement request until course selection is an issue?

2) The CAPS website is very vague about who is behind it. I expected more in the About Us section and was surprised that there were no names attributed to the organization's leadership.

Date: March 02, 2008 10:31AM

Ombudsman Wrote:
> Neen Wrote:
> -----
> > Pupil placement shouldn't be a problem. Mr.
> > Butler wants a meeting with parents to try to
> talk
> > them out of pupil placing out of South Lakes.
> > Meet with him, smile a lot, and stick to your
> > guns. He doesn't really have any choice since
> > students at every other high school can pupil
> > place out to schools that have the space.
> >
> > You can even put your pupil placed student on
> the
> > neighborhood bus to Oakton.
> >
> > More information here:
> >
> http://www.fairfaxcaps.org/html/pupil_placement.ht
>
> > ml
>
>
> Two questions...
>
> 1) I read the pupil placement information on both
> the FCPS and CAPS websites and still don't
> understand the foundation for allowing a 9th
> grader to be reassigned from an IB to an AP school
> since few, if any, freshman are taking AP courses.
> This is not true of IB since there is a
> sequential schedule starting in 9th grade. How
> would the preparatory courses at SL be any
> different than what is available at Westfield,
> Chantilly or Oakton? If there is not any, could
> this be used as a reason to defer a pupil
> placement request until course selection is an
> issue?
>
> 2) The CAPS website is very vague about who is
> behind it. I expected more in the About Us section
> and was surprised that there were no names
> attributed to the organization's leadership.

The thing is Hughes has the IB middle year program while Carson and Franklin MS didn't have the IB middle year program. How could these incoming redistricted 9 graders benefit or be prepared for the IB if these students want to participate in the IB program at SL?

Date: March 02, 2008 10:36AM

> 2) The CAPS website is very vague about who is
> behind it. I expected more in the About Us section
> and was surprised that there were no names
> attributed to the organization's leadership.

This page lists their leadership members.
http://fairfaxcaps.org/html/contact.html

Date: March 02, 2008 11:19AM

The actual educational quality of IB vs. AP notwithstanding, this is a quote from another thread about the resdistricting. It should speak for itself as to the validity of people choosing AP over IB.

"Just an FYI---

My child back from UVA and I were having a discussion about our redistricting into an IB program. He was able to obtain 32 credits from AP while a UVA friend from Robinson with the exact same classes in the IB program only received 9. My child has a choice--graduate early to go to grad school or double major. Can't do that with just 9 credits."

Date: March 02, 2008 11:39AM

I dropped off the form on Friday and was told that the assistant pricipal would call me for a face-to-face meeting. I also emailed a pdf copy of the forms to the school so I have a record of doing so.

All of our friends have dropped off the forms as SLHS. I am interested to see what happens in the fall. I don't personally know anyone who hasn't submitted a pupil-placement form or doesn't have them ready to go.

Date: March 02, 2008 11:43AM

And before anyone calls me a racist, I am a minority and I CAN'T afford to give up any college credits. I sincerely feel that AP is my best chance to reduce my future college bills.

Posted by: Ombudsman ()
Date: March 02, 2008 12:48PM

Viking Wrote:
> And before anyone calls me a racist, I am a
> minority and I CAN'T afford to give up any college
> credits. I sincerely feel that AP is my best
> chance to reduce my future college bills.

Unless your family has a lot of assets or a high net worth, your ability to get financial aid in the form of grants and scholarships increases exponentially as a minority. I accept the fact that my kids are white, middle class and of Eastern European heritage and simply find a way through a combination of savings and a limited number of non-deferred student loans to pay for school at Ithaca and VT.

I hate to stereotype, but minority status opens the door to a lot of aid, Federal and school-based, to make the out-of-pocket cost negligible. This is especially true if you are attending any of the public colleges and universities in Virginia. I know of a young woman who is 1/16th Native American who got nearly all costs covered at UVA and most of our minority friends are seeing 60-70% of their costs covered at schools ranging from JMU and Penn State to Columbia.

This argument about NEEDING the credits in order to reduce costs really does not resonate with me when college is the time for deeper learning and probing. Students earning advanced standing should take advantage of this opportunity to explore a second major or additional areas of study, not finding the shortest path to a diploma. As a hiring manager for an international consulting firm I always probe students who proudly proclaim being able to graduate in less than four years and generally find these students to be less able to articulate how this is helpful. I look for people with a desire to explore and expand their knowledge our clients pay a premium for our services. Being able to test well and quickly navigate the college process does not always equal being able to think critically and solve problems.

Posted by: takethenextstep ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:14PM

"This argument about NEEDING the credits in order to reduce costs really does not resonate with me when college is the time for deeper learning and probing. Students earning advanced standing should take advantage of this opportunity to explore a second major or additional areas of study, not finding the shortest path to a diploma. As a hiring manager for an international consulting firm I always probe students who proudly proclaim being able to graduate in less than four years and generally find these students to be less able to articulate how this is helpful. I look for people with a desire to explore and expand their knowledge our clients pay a premium for our services. Being able to test well and quickly navigate the college process does not always equal being able to think critically and solve problems."

Please...deeper learning and probing?...lets just face it...college is about getting a degree so you can get a job that is going to support you and or a family for the rest of your life. If it means that you can get out earlier for more schooling and/or make yourself more marketable with a double major or help with family finances then let them make that decision. I'm guessing that if you can quickly navigate the college process, then you probably can think critically and solve problems easier than this ombudsman.

Date: March 02, 2008 01:22PM

With all due respect -- with sincerity -- you sound like you have never had to truly worry about money. Or discrimination. Or having many children in a family where you have to stretch in order to provide.

Thank you for the encouragement regarding scholarship monies. But I can't count those chickens before they have hatched, so to say. I CAN try to position myself and my children now and try to give my entire family the best opportunity for all to educate themselves and advance to self-sufficiency.

Once my children are in college -- God willing -- I will respect them enough to honor their decisions to "linger" and make deeper connections. For now, I will work with what makes more sense to me immediately.

Posted by: Stephanie ()
Date: March 03, 2008 07:22PM

I find it extremely comical how parents from seperate neighborhoods are now banding together to find a common solution to stay away from South Lakes. It was only a month ago at the redistricting meetings when everyone had been turning on eachother, it wasn't just those opposing versus those for, it was fox mill against floris against aldridge and so on. Everyone was pushing for other neighboorhoods to get forced into South Lakes, but yet now you want to act as though you're so excited to work together? Pshhh please, thats called hypocricy and it's what this entire redistricting was about. People are simply afraid to face reality and reality is that this world is not one race, not one group of people with the same bank account, and definitly not confined to one language.

To those of you who for some bogus reason or another find yourselves lucky, and yes I dare do say lucky because I garuntee Stu has a plan to deal with those just as yourselves who feel they're so much smarter then the system of Fairfax County, realize in twenty years exactly what you're doing. You're cheating a system that exist simply to give your a child an education. And let me tell you this; that lesson that you so comfortbaly disply to your child every day is far worst then anything they will ever witness at South Lakes. Because as parents you are teaching children to cut corners, and to avoid the world that doesn't reflect themselves. All one can simply do in a situation such as this is sit back and wonder what America has come to.

For a nation that has taken pride in itself as one that allows all races, all languages, and all people to come together, we have taken a giant step back in Fairfax County. And if this is not a battle against race, and all that is unknown then what is it really? This AP and IB debate is bogus as we all know that South Lakes produces fine students who currently and have attended schools such as Duke, Yale, Princeton, William and Mary, UVA, Boston College, etc. Unless you fear your child doesn't have the potentiol to be one of these smart and talented students then don't undermine those at South Lakes by disgracing its reputation further and naming it to be a "talentless" school. I'm wondering if deep down the problem isn't really that South Lakes doesn't meet the standards for your children but is instead that your children don't meet the standards for South Lakes. And if this is truly your concern I wish to dismiss it now because South Lakes is a school in which all excel, no matter their prior experience and education.

For those who are concerned with the aknowledgment of IB for college, I know Virginia Tech alone can offer up to 28 credits for the full diploma! You will find that many schools recongize the hard work that goes hand in hand with the IB diploma and often do prefer the diploma to AP as it produces more well rounded students who are involved with their communities inside and outside of school. And the reason as to why so few people recieve this diploma? It's extremely difficult and often takes levels of patience and determination that many feel they'd rather not worry about. And to those I wish the best, for they still continue to challenge themselves to their own ability. I will be the first to say that the diploma isn't for everyone, but there is an option for everyone within the IB program.

And for those of you who will later ridicule me for speaking about such a school as South Lakes, I'd like to let you know exactly why it is that I have fought so hard for this redistricting. As a student I am sick and tired of having to worry about wether or not my classes are going to be offered next year when I register for them. Wether the teams in which I participate on will have enough athletes to fill the spots needed, which yes, often does not happen. Wether or not I'm going to have to hear about my school on the six o' clock news and frankly about how great other schools are compared to mine. I'll be honest, and I'll be cocky. I'm an extremely hard working student. All IB-diploma canidate, solid GPA, solid SAT scores, commitment to two teams throughout highschool, with other clubs and activities, and yet my hard work will always be less then perfect in the eyes of others because of the name of the school in which I attend. Simply ridiculous aint it?

Which is why redistricting is needed. So for those who keep complaining, keep doing so. Try to pupil place, but I like many will simply shake my head when you fail, which I'm sure many will do. This world isn't perfect. Far from it, and neither is South Lakes. But the world you have painted as South Lakes High School is farther away than the measurment of perfection. Let's leave it at that.

And before I forget, YES I am a high school student at South Lakes. I have pride in my school, and I will always have such. I simply can't help but to note upon the flaws that are so apparent in the eyes of others regarding your plans. Yet then again I feel no sympathy for the roaring crowds that shouted distasteful names at my friends during those redistricting meetings. The crowd that pushed those for the redistricting into the measly corner we've been in for so long. But I always have the power to forgive. I have no grudge for those who will attend next year, and I think I speak for the entire student and faculty body when I say that we will always be open to new students and the enlargement of the Seahawk family.

Until then I hope for the best for you all, and for those who will be attending next year may I be the first to say welcome to SLHS!

Posted by: Interesting? ()
Date: March 03, 2008 08:01PM

Stephanie Wrote:
> I find it extremely comical how parents from
> seperate neighborhoods are now banding together to
> find a common solution to stay away from South
> Lakes. It was only a month ago at the
> redistricting meetings when everyone had been
> turning on eachother, it wasn't just those
> opposing versus those for, it was fox mill against
> floris against aldridge and so on. Everyone was
> pushing for other neighboorhoods to get forced
> into South Lakes, but yet now you want to act as
> though you're so excited to work together? Pshhh
> please, thats called hypocricy and it's what this
> entire redistricting was about. People are simply
> afraid to face reality and reality is that this
> world is not one race, not one group of people
> with the same bank account, and definitly not
> confined to one language.
>
> To those of you who for some bogus reason or
> another find yourselves lucky, and yes I dare do
> say lucky because I garuntee Stu has a plan to
> deal with those just as yourselves who feel
> they're so much smarter then the system of Fairfax
> County, realize in twenty years exactly what
> you're doing. You're cheating a system that exist
> simply to give your a child an education. And let
> me tell you this; that lesson that you so
> comfortbaly disply to your child every day is far
> worst then anything they will ever witness at
> South Lakes. Because as parents you are teaching
> children to cut corners, and to avoid the world
> that doesn't reflect themselves. All one can
> simply do in a situation such as this is sit back
> and wonder what America has come to.
>
> For a nation that has taken pride in itself as one
> that allows all races, all languages, and all
> people to come together, we have taken a giant
> step back in Fairfax County. And if this is not a
> battle against race, and all that is unknown then
> what is it really? This AP and IB debate is bogus
> as we all know that South Lakes produces fine
> students who currently and have attended schools
> such as Duke, Yale, Princeton, William and Mary,
> UVA, Boston College, etc. Unless you fear your
> child doesn't have the potentiol to be one of
> these smart and talented students then don't
> undermine those at South Lakes by disgracing its
> reputation further and naming it to be a
> "talentless" school. I'm wondering if deep down
> the problem isn't really that South Lakes doesn't
> meet the standards for your children but is
> instead that your children don't meet the
> standards for South Lakes. And if this is truly
> your concern I wish to dismiss it now because
> South Lakes is a school in which all excel, no
> matter their prior experience and education.
>
> For those who are concerned with the aknowledgment
> of IB for college, I know Virginia Tech alone can
> offer up to 28 credits for the full diploma! You
> will find that many schools recongize the hard
> work that goes hand in hand with the IB diploma
> and often do prefer the diploma to AP as it
> produces more well rounded students who are
> involved with their communities inside and outside
> of school. And the reason as to why so few people
> recieve this diploma? It's extremely difficult and
> often takes levels of patience and determination
> that many feel they'd rather not worry about. And
> to those I wish the best, for they still continue
> to challenge themselves to their own ability. I
> will be the first to say that the diploma isn't
> for everyone, but there is an option for everyone
> within the IB program.
>
> And for those of you who will later ridicule me
> for speaking about such a school as South Lakes,
> I'd like to let you know exactly why it is that I
> have fought so hard for this redistricting. As a
> student I am sick and tired of having to worry
> about wether or not my classes are going to be
> offered next year when I register for them. Wether
> the teams in which I participate on will have
> enough athletes to fill the spots needed, which
> yes, often does not happen. Wether or not I'm
> going to have to hear about my school on the six
> o' clock news and frankly about how great other
> schools are compared to mine. I'll be honest, and
> I'll be cocky. I'm an extremely hard working
> student. All IB-diploma canidate, solid GPA, solid
> SAT scores, commitment to two teams throughout
> highschool, with other clubs and activities, and
> yet my hard work will always be less then perfect
> in the eyes of others because of the name of the
> school in which I attend. Simply ridiculous aint
> it?
>
> Which is why redistricting is needed. So for those
> who keep complaining, keep doing so. Try to pupil
> place, but I like many will simply shake my head
> when you fail, which I'm sure many will do. This
> world isn't perfect. Far from it, and neither is
> South Lakes. But the world you have painted as
> South Lakes High School is farther away than the
> measurment of perfection. Let's leave it at that.
>
> And before I forget, YES I am a high school
> student at South Lakes. I have pride in my school,
> and I will always have such. I simply can't help
> but to note upon the flaws that are so apparent in
> the eyes of others regarding your plans. Yet then
> again I feel no sympathy for the roaring crowds
> that shouted distasteful names at my friends
> during those redistricting meetings. The crowd
> that pushed those for the redistricting into the
> measly corner we've been in for so long. But I
> always have the power to forgive. I have no grudge
> for those who will attend next year, and I think I
> speak for the entire student and faculty body when
> I say that we will always be open to new students
> and the enlargement of the Seahawk family.
>
> Until then I hope for the best for you all, and
> for those who will be attending next year may I be
> the first to say welcome to SLHS!

Stephanie, can you tell me specifically which classes you were denied? All I've heard about is the lack of students for culinary arts, jewelry making and having combined German 3/4 classes. We keep hearing about the lack of resources, but there's never any specific details about problems with the academic courses/schedules. For example, did you want to take an IB HL math class, IB computer science and French 4 or 5 class you couldn't take them because of scheduling/resource problems? (I'm not really sympathetic about underenrolled sports activities. I could never advocate moving children around because of sports team concerns. Afterall, we're not Texas.) Thank you.

Date: March 03, 2008 10:27PM

Well I know they've have a number of problems with the Physics 2 class at South Lakes every year, and so far I know of only five students signed up for the class next year. I know that this probably wouldn't immediatly be affected by the redistricting, but this I'm guessing is one of the problems they are trying to solve. As well the new AP classes are kind of up to student participation next year from the new kids coming in and increased enrollment, AP Human Geography and AP Government I believe. I didn't neccarily sign up for these classes myself but I know many of my friends are hechticly trying to figure out what they're going to do with their schedules if these courses fall through.

Also I know the theatre classes have had a multiple number of problems. Currently there is one period that has four different classes bunched up into one classroom at one time so they register the course with enough interest to allow the students to take it. I'm pretty sure French and Spanish are fine for the time being and so is Latin as Foreign Language is pretty poupular within South Lakes but Creative Writing classes and such have also been canceled in the past.

I hope this answers your quiestons.

Posted by: well ()
Date: March 03, 2008 11:15PM

Stephanie Wrote:
> Well I know they've have a number of problems with
> the Physics 2 class at South Lakes every year, and
> so far I know of only five students signed up for
> the class next year. I know that this probably
> wouldn't immediatly be affected by the
> redistricting, but this I'm guessing is one of the
> problems they are trying to solve. As well the new
> AP classes are kind of up to student participation
> next year from the new kids coming in and
> increased enrollment, AP Human Geography and AP
> Government I believe. I didn't neccarily sign up
> for these classes myself but I know many of my
> friends are hechticly trying to figure out what
> they're going to do with their schedules if these
> courses fall through.
>
> Also I know the theatre classes have had a
> multiple number of problems. Currently there is
> one period that has four different classes bunched
> up into one classroom at one time so they register
> the course with enough interest to allow the
> students to take it. I'm pretty sure French and
> Spanish are fine for the time being and so is
> Latin as Foreign Language is pretty poupular
> within South Lakes but Creative Writing classes
> and such have also been canceled in the past.
>
> I hope this answers your quiestons.

But, you have not been personally affected, right?

Posted by: What are you talking about? ()
Date: March 03, 2008 11:20PM

Stephanie

I read your earlier posts....you sound different here....more mature. Are you sure you are a kid? I think not. I think you are just another parent masquerading as a kid. Alas.

Meanwhile, you comments are bogus...you do not know what you are talking about.

Common injuries binds people to common causes. This particular RD was done improperly. No slight on SL...just that the SLPTA and Stu were too crass in their bullying.

What does the near term hold? Who knows...a lot of pupil placement and a law suit I think.

TTFN

Date: March 03, 2008 11:47PM

Stephanie Wrote:
> Well I know they've have a number of problems with
> the Physics 2 class at South Lakes every year, and
> so far I know of only five students signed up for
> the class next year. I know that this probably
> wouldn't immediatly be affected by the
> redistricting, but this I'm guessing is one of the
> problems they are trying to solve. As well the new
> AP classes are kind of up to student participation
> next year from the new kids coming in and
> increased enrollment, AP Human Geography and AP
> Government I believe. I didn't neccarily sign up
> for these classes myself but I know many of my
> friends are hechticly trying to figure out what
> they're going to do with their schedules if these
> courses fall through.
>
> Also I know the theatre classes have had a
> multiple number of problems. Currently there is
> one period that has four different classes bunched
> up into one classroom at one time so they register
> the course with enough interest to allow the
> students to take it. I'm pretty sure French and
> Spanish are fine for the time being and so is
> Latin as Foreign Language is pretty poupular
> within South Lakes but Creative Writing classes
> and such have also been canceled in the past.
>
> I hope this answers your quiestons.

So what? Before last year, Madison never offered AP Physics. Students who wanted to take it had to go to Oakton. Some years Madison couldn't offer AP computer science, not enough students. Madison NEVER offered Latin before this year, assuming they offer it now. Students who wanted a math course beyond AP calculus had to go Mason. I never heard anyone at Madison say that Madison should grab students from Oakton so they could have more course offerings.

My point is that EVERY high school (except maybe Robinson) has classes that are canceled or can't be offered. People at South Lakes are clueless about what goes on at other schools. Sorry, but you all aren't special, despite what you've been told. Not every child in FCPS high schools can have every class they would like to take at their high school.

No one is cheating anyone by doing what they can to get their child the appropriate education for that child. No one has a right to tell a family what is the best education for their children. The government does not know a child better than a parent, nor does the government have the child's best interests at heart. Governments don't even have hearts. Governments care about their institutions, not the individual student. Parents do know their child and they have every right, and the responsibility, to advocate for what is best for their child. It is NOT cheating to do what is best for your child.

Honest to gosh Stephanie, you've been totally brainwashed. I hate to see that happen to young person.

Date: March 04, 2008 01:33AM

Hi Stephanie,

By the way, you write really well and you sound like a very gifted young lady. I admire the fact that you stick up for your school too. I really have no interest in this redistricting stuff because my own kid has graduated already from Woodson HS. However I was a teacher in a large secondary school and I got to know a lot of the parents as well as the actual school population. ( kids). I think the real fear here is the fact that South Lakes has lots of kids attending who do not feel mthe need to do well at school. They often come to school unprepared and see no reason to to be successful. Instead, they roam the halls, fight, bully other kids, act disrespectful to any staff member, break rules ( and often teachers look the other way if the administration is weak) This behavior can and these students can often rob the other students of their education. Teacher is spending more and more time trying to keep order in the classroom rather than covering the class information. Classwork gets "dumbed down' so the there are not as many D's and F's. Teachers are often chastised for a high D and F ratio in classes.

Stephanie, you are lucky because you see the value of education. It sounds like your parents do too. Taking AP or IB classes for students who are smart and willing to work hard is the logical choice. But by taking those classes, you are somewhat separated from the kids who are taking regular classes. Probably in your advanced classes and maybe even theater arts and creative writing, most of the students are there to learn. They understand civil behavior and common courtesy.

Not all kids in high school can take AP or IB for whatever reason - language barrier, learning disablities, average intelligence- and those kids are kind of stuck in the netherworld of regular classes with kids who are often just biding time until they graduate, get thrown out, drop out, or find a minumum wage job. The parents where I taught would do anything to get their kids in the GT program in middle school. Why? To keep them in classes with other kids who took school seriously. That's why those prep classes are so popular along with tutors, Huntington Learning Centers, etc.

I think that is why so many parents are wary of schools with a large number of poor or mediocre performing students. And let's not beat around the bush, in that group, you will mostly find the following subgroups - minorities ( but not Asian), low income, special education students.

But thank you for adding your very well written thoughts on this forum.
Goodluck, Stephanie!!!
Trickie

Posted by: youstank ()
Date: March 04, 2008 10:18AM

"I think that is why so many parents are wary of schools with a large number of poor or mediocre performing students. And let's not beat around the bush, in that group, you will mostly find the following subgroups - minorities ( but not Asian), low income, special education students. "

Your ignorance should embarass you. This is the Northern Virginia alpha parent mantra. Keep my precious exceptional kids away from those minorities, low income students, and definitely the retards. You idjit! My friends with aspergers would kick your ass intelligence wise. No I don't go to South Lakes. Too bad you didn't. I've never met you, but I know you smell bad.

Date: March 04, 2008 10:30AM

To Youstank,

No matter what you think or write, I stand by my words. You are the one who mentioned "retards" but in the past 10 years, with inclusion, the schools did no favors to kids who arein the special ed. category. And for classrooms with kids added and with teachers having to water down the curriculum, it can definitely affect the learning and the content. Kids with Asperger's Syndrome are a small minority of special ed. and most AS kids do very well in school. I am referring to kids with behavior problems that disrupt classes.

Actually your post doesn't make much sense.

Date: March 04, 2008 03:37PM

well Wrote:
> Stephanie Wrote:
> -----
> > Well I know they've have a number of problems
> with
> > the Physics 2 class at South Lakes every year,
> and
> > so far I know of only five students signed up
> for
> > the class next year. I know that this probably
> > wouldn't immediatly be affected by the
> > redistricting, but this I'm guessing is one of
> the
> > problems they are trying to solve. As well the
> new
> > AP classes are kind of up to student
> participation
> > next year from the new kids coming in and
> > increased enrollment, AP Human Geography and AP
> > Government I believe. I didn't neccarily sign
> up
> > for these classes myself but I know many of my
> > friends are hechticly trying to figure out what
> > they're going to do with their schedules if
> these
> > courses fall through.
> >
> > Also I know the theatre classes have had a
> > multiple number of problems. Currently there is
> > one period that has four different classes
> bunched
> > up into one classroom at one time so they
> register
> > the course with enough interest to allow the
> > students to take it. I'm pretty sure French and
> > Spanish are fine for the time being and so is
> > Latin as Foreign Language is pretty poupular
> > within South Lakes but Creative Writing classes
> > and such have also been canceled in the past.
> >
> > I hope this answers your quiestons.
>
> But, you have not been personally affected, right?

Quite the contrare. Much of my schedule has always been open to change. Phsyics 2 for example is the course in which I am most excited for next year but unfortunatly I'm not even positive they're going to offer the course. And even if I do take the course I'll have to test SL because they don't offer the HL course due to lack of interest. This is a course I'd rather have tested HL in because it would look better on my college applications.

Freshmen year I was told not to enroll for the creative writing class by a senior because the class was often on the verge of being canceled due to lack of interest as well, so instead I opted for Art 1, which although fun is not truly a passion for me as writing is.

Then of course there is often problems with staffing as the courses are never garunteed, but I think you know what I mean by that.

Date: March 04, 2008 03:44PM

What are you talking about? Wrote:
> Stephanie
>
> I read your earlier posts....you sound different
> here....more mature. Are you sure you are a kid?
> I think not. I think you are just another parent
> masquerading as a kid. Alas.
>
> Meanwhile, you comments are bogus...you do not
> know what you are talking about.
>
> Common injuries binds people to common causes.
> This particular RD was done improperly. No slight
> on SL...just that the SLPTA and Stu were too crass
> in their bullying.
>
> What does the near term hold? Who knows...a lot
> of pupil placement and a law suit I think.
>
> TTFN

Oh yes TTFN I'm positive I'm a kid. I think I possess the brain power to determine my own age, but then again you don't trust the Reston community with anything now do you? Have you ever heard the phrase "age is just a number?" Just because I'm not legally an adult doesn't mean that I don't have the same capability as one. I promise you this is my writing, I've never plagerised, and never been in any conflicts regarding academic integrity. But then again if you're so concerned look me up. I'm the only Stephanie on the cheerleading squad.

PS: I'll take the maturity comment as a compliment, it does me great pleasure to know I sound a little wiser then what should be adults.

Date: March 04, 2008 03:58PM

Neen Wrote:
> Stephanie Wrote:
> -----
> > Well I know they've have a number of problems
> with
> > the Physics 2 class at South Lakes every year,
> and
> > so far I know of only five students signed up
> for
> > the class next year. I know that this probably
> > wouldn't immediatly be affected by the
> > redistricting, but this I'm guessing is one of
> the
> > problems they are trying to solve. As well the
> new
> > AP classes are kind of up to student
> participation
> > next year from the new kids coming in and
> > increased enrollment, AP Human Geography and AP
> > Government I believe. I didn't neccarily sign
> up
> > for these classes myself but I know many of my
> > friends are hechticly trying to figure out what
> > they're going to do with their schedules if
> these
> > courses fall through.
> >
> > Also I know the theatre classes have had a
> > multiple number of problems. Currently there is
> > one period that has four different classes
> bunched
> > up into one classroom at one time so they
> register
> > the course with enough interest to allow the
> > students to take it. I'm pretty sure French and
> > Spanish are fine for the time being and so is
> > Latin as Foreign Language is pretty poupular
> > within South Lakes but Creative Writing classes
> > and such have also been canceled in the past.
> >
> > I hope this answers your quiestons.
>
> So what? Before last year, Madison never offered
> AP Physics. Students who wanted to take it had to
> go to Oakton. Some years Madison couldn't offer
> AP computer science, not enough students. Madison
> NEVER offered Latin before this year, assuming
> they offer it now. Students who wanted a math
> course beyond AP calculus had to go Mason. I
> never heard anyone at Madison say that Madison
> should grab students from Oakton so they could
> have more course offerings.
>
> My point is that EVERY high school (except maybe
> Robinson) has classes that are canceled or can't
> be offered. People at South Lakes are clueless
> about what goes on at other schools. Sorry, but
> you all aren't special, despite what you've been
> told. Not every child in FCPS high schools can
> have every class they would like to take at their
> high school.
>
> No one is cheating anyone by doing what they can
> to get their child the appropriate education for
> that child. No one has a right to tell a family
> what is the best education for their children.
> The government does not know a child better than a
> parent, nor does the government have the child's
> best interests at heart. Governments don't even
> have hearts. Governments care about their
> institutions, not the individual student.
> Parents do know their child and they have every
> right, and the responsibility, to advocate for
> what is best for their child. It is NOT cheating
> to do what is best for your child.
>
> Honest to gosh Stephanie, you've been totally
> brainwashed. I hate to see that happen to young
> person.

No, but it is cheating to beat a system that is in tact to give every child EQUAL oppurtunity. Fairfax County didn't make up this redistriciting plan to make the lives of others miserable, but instead to further allow students to reach their true potentiol. You talk about how we act like were so "special" when in fact you're trying to pupil place your children out of South Lakes because you think your above us! What hypocricy!

Take a number and a clue. Making up bogus excuses and planning ahead what you're going to say to a school when it comes time to meet with the principal is cheating! You're beating a system! If you really had good reason as to why you wanted to attend Oakton so bad you wouldn't have to sit here and make plans regarding what excuse to put down on paper because you'd already have one! Now tell me if that's not cheating what is?

I understand it's legal and its easy, and you can probably get away with it to some extreme but where is the true reward? What are you teaching others from this action? The fact of the matter is you're not garunteed anything when you buy your house except for the fact that your child will attend school in FAIRFAX COUNTY, not that he/she is going to attend Oakton, Westfield, South Lakes, etc. That is not a valid arguement regarding why you should go to Oakton.

The sad fact of the matter is when I ride the bus home during the day I pass FOX MILL ESTATES! My house is further away from South Lakes then yours is, yet I don't see myself complaining over the school in which I attend! I think the day has come for some of you to put on your big boy/girl pants on and get over it. The simple reality is that this should have been an issue a long time ago but it's been avoided. Well that time has come my friends... that time has come.

Date: March 04, 2008 05:00PM

Stephanie Wrote:
> Neen Wrote:
> -----
> > Stephanie Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Well I know they've have a number of problems
> > with
> > > the Physics 2 class at South Lakes every
> year,
> > and
> > > so far I know of only five students signed up
> > for
> > > the class next year. I know that this
> probably
> > > wouldn't immediatly be affected by the
> > > redistricting, but this I'm guessing is one
> of
> > the
> > > problems they are trying to solve. As well
> the
> > new
> > > AP classes are kind of up to student
> > participation
> > > next year from the new kids coming in and
> > > increased enrollment, AP Human Geography and
> AP
> > > Government I believe. I didn't neccarily sign
> > up
> > > for these classes myself but I know many of
> my
> > > friends are hechticly trying to figure out
> what
> > > they're going to do with their schedules if
> > these
> > > courses fall through.
> > >
> > > Also I know the theatre classes have had a
> > > multiple number of problems. Currently there
> is
> > > one period that has four different classes
> > bunched
> > > up into one classroom at one time so they
> > register
> > > the course with enough interest to allow the
> > > students to take it. I'm pretty sure French
> and
> > > Spanish are fine for the time being and so is
> > > Latin as Foreign Language is pretty poupular
> > > within South Lakes but Creative Writing
> classes
> > > and such have also been canceled in the past.
>
> > >
> > > I hope this answers your quiestons.
> >
> > So what? Before last year, Madison never
> offered
> > AP Physics. Students who wanted to take it had
> to
> > go to Oakton. Some years Madison couldn't
> offer
> > AP computer science, not enough students.
> Madison
> > NEVER offered Latin before this year, assuming
> > they offer it now. Students who wanted a math
> > course beyond AP calculus had to go Mason. I
> > never heard anyone at Madison say that Madison
> > should grab students from Oakton so they could
> > have more course offerings.
> >
> > My point is that EVERY high school (except
> maybe
> > Robinson) has classes that are canceled or
> can't
> > be offered. People at South Lakes are clueless
> > about what goes on at other schools. Sorry,
> but
> > you all aren't special, despite what you've
> been
> > told. Not every child in FCPS high schools can
> > have every class they would like to take at
> their
> > high school.
> >
> > No one is cheating anyone by doing what they
> can
> > to get their child the appropriate education
> for
> > that child. No one has a right to tell a
> family
> > what is the best education for their children.
> > The government does not know a child better than
> a
> > parent, nor does the government have the
> child's
> > best interests at heart. Governments don't even
> > have hearts. Governments care about their
> > institutions, not the individual student.
> > Parents do know their child and they have every
> > right, and the responsibility, to advocate for
> > what is best for their child. It is NOT
> cheating
> > to do what is best for your child.
> >
> > Honest to gosh Stephanie, you've been totally
> > brainwashed. I hate to see that happen to
> young
> > person.
>
> No, but it is cheating to beat a system that is in
> tact to give every child EQUAL oppurtunity.
> Fairfax County didn't make up this redistriciting
> plan to make the lives of others miserable, but
> instead to further allow students to reach their
> true potentiol. You talk about how we act like
> were so "special" when in fact you're trying to
> pupil place your children out of South Lakes
> because you think your above us! What hypocricy!
>
> Take a number and a clue. Making up bogus excuses
> and planning ahead what you're going to say to a
> school when it comes time to meet with the
> principal is cheating! You're beating a system! If
> you really had good reason as to why you wanted to
> attend Oakton so bad you wouldn't have to sit here
> and make plans regarding what excuse to put down
> on paper because you'd already have one! Now tell
> me if that's not cheating what is?
>
> I understand it's legal and its easy, and you can
> probably get away with it to some extreme but
> where is the true reward? What are you teaching
> others from this action? The fact of the matter is
> you're not garunteed anything when you buy your
> house except for the fact that your child will
> attend school in FAIRFAX COUNTY, not that he/she
> is going to attend Oakton, Westfield, South Lakes,
> etc. That is not a valid arguement regarding why
> you should go to Oakton.
>
> The sad fact of the matter is when I ride the bus
> home during the day I pass FOX MILL ESTATES! My
> house is further away from South Lakes then yours
> is, yet I don't see myself complaining over the
> school in which I attend! I think the day has come
> for some of you to put on your big boy/girl pants
> on and get over it. The simple reality is that
> this should have been an issue a long time ago but
> it's been avoided. Well that time has come my
> friends... that time has come.

Stephanie, just some quick questions so not to confuse others, what SL neighborhood is that to pass by Fox Mill Estates? If on Reston Parkway going towards Lawyers then West Ox, these subdivisions become in the Oakton District right after passing Fox Mill. You claimed your house is further away than FM to SL? Your house is further away from Neen's?

Posted by: BetterThanYou ()
Date: March 04, 2008 06:29PM

You could avoid all of this by just going to TJ.

Posted by: Neen is Everywhere ()
Date: March 04, 2008 06:42PM

Baffled, you are too funny. JeaNEEN lives in Vienna. She is not affected by this at all. She has given you a lot of bad information. You should not trust her. She is Cuckoo.

Date: March 04, 2008 08:57PM

Baffled Wrote:
> Stephanie Wrote:
> -----
> > Neen Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Stephanie Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Well I know they've have a number of
> problems
> > > with
> > > > the Physics 2 class at South Lakes every
> > year,
> > > and
> > > > so far I know of only five students signed
> up
> > > for
> > > > the class next year. I know that this
> > probably
> > > > wouldn't immediatly be affected by the
> > > > redistricting, but this I'm guessing is one
> > of
> > > the
> > > > problems they are trying to solve. As well
> > the
> > > new
> > > > AP classes are kind of up to student
> > > participation
> > > > next year from the new kids coming in and
> > > > increased enrollment, AP Human Geography
> and
> > AP
> > > > Government I believe. I didn't neccarily
> sign
> > > up
> > > > for these classes myself but I know many of
> > my
> > > > friends are hechticly trying to figure out
> > what
> > > > they're going to do with their schedules if
> > > these
> > > > courses fall through.
> > > >
> > > > Also I know the theatre classes have had a
> > > > multiple number of problems. Currently
> there
> > is
> > > > one period that has four different classes
> > > bunched
> > > > up into one classroom at one time so they
> > > register
> > > > the course with enough interest to allow
> the
> > > > students to take it. I'm pretty sure French
> > and
> > > > Spanish are fine for the time being and so
> is
> > > > Latin as Foreign Language is pretty
> poupular
> > > > within South Lakes but Creative Writing
> > classes
> > > > and such have also been canceled in the
> past.
> >
> > > >
> > > > I hope this answers your quiestons.
> > >
> > > So what? Before last year, Madison never
> > offered
> > > AP Physics. Students who wanted to take it
> had
> > to
> > > go to Oakton. Some years Madison couldn't
> > offer
> > > AP computer science, not enough students.
> > Madison
> > > NEVER offered Latin before this year,
> assuming
> > > they offer it now. Students who wanted a
> math
> > > course beyond AP calculus had to go Mason. I
> > > never heard anyone at Madison say that
> Madison
> > > should grab students from Oakton so they
> could
> > > have more course offerings.
> > >
> > > My point is that EVERY high school (except
> > maybe
> > > Robinson) has classes that are canceled or
> > can't
> > > be offered. People at South Lakes are
> clueless
> > > about what goes on at other schools. Sorry,
> > but
> > > you all aren't special, despite what you've
> > been
> > > told. Not every child in FCPS high schools
> can
> > > have every class they would like to take at
> > their
> > > high school.
> > >
> > > No one is cheating anyone by doing what they
> > can
> > > to get their child the appropriate education
> > for
> > > that child. No one has a right to tell a
> > family
> > > what is the best education for their children.
>
> > > The government does not know a child better
> than
> > a
> > > parent, nor does the government have the
> > child's
> > > best interests at heart. Governments don't
> even
> > > have hearts. Governments care about their
> > > institutions, not the individual student.
> > > Parents do know their child and they have
> every
> > > right, and the responsibility, to advocate
> for
> > > what is best for their child. It is NOT
> > cheating
> > > to do what is best for your child.
> > >
> > > Honest to gosh Stephanie, you've been totally
> > > brainwashed. I hate to see that happen to
> > young
> > > person.
> >
> > No, but it is cheating to beat a system that is
> in
> > tact to give every child EQUAL oppurtunity.
> > Fairfax County didn't make up this
> redistriciting
> > plan to make the lives of others miserable, but
> > instead to further allow students to reach
> their
> > true potentiol. You talk about how we act like
> > were so "special" when in fact you're trying to
> > pupil place your children out of South Lakes
> > because you think your above us! What
> hypocricy!
> >
> > Take a number and a clue. Making up bogus
> excuses
> > and planning ahead what you're going to say to
> a
> > school when it comes time to meet with the
> > principal is cheating! You're beating a system!
> If
> > you really had good reason as to why you wanted
> to
> > attend Oakton so bad you wouldn't have to sit
> here
> > and make plans regarding what excuse to put
> down
> > on paper because you'd already have one! Now
> tell
> > me if that's not cheating what is?
> >
> > I understand it's legal and its easy, and you
> can
> > probably get away with it to some extreme but
> > where is the true reward? What are you teaching
> > others from this action? The fact of the matter
> is
> > you're not garunteed anything when you buy your
> > house except for the fact that your child will
> > attend school in FAIRFAX COUNTY, not that
> he/she
> > is going to attend Oakton, Westfield, South
> Lakes,
> > etc. That is not a valid arguement regarding
> why
> > you should go to Oakton.
> >
> > The sad fact of the matter is when I ride the
> bus
> > home during the day I pass FOX MILL ESTATES! My
> > house is further away from South Lakes then
> yours
> > is, yet I don't see myself complaining over the
> > school in which I attend! I think the day has
> come
> > for some of you to put on your big boy/girl
> pants
> > on and get over it. The simple reality is that
> > this should have been an issue a long time ago
> but
> > it's been avoided. Well that time has come my
> > friends... that time has come.
>
>
> Stephanie, just some quick questions so not to
> confuse others, what SL neighborhood is that to
> pass by Fox Mill Estates? If on Reston Parkway
> going towards Lawyers then West Ox, these
> subdivisions become in the Oakton District right
> after passing Fox Mill. You claimed your house is
> further away than FM to SL? Your house is further
> away from Neen's?

Yeah because Polo Club is on the border of the Westfield/ South Lakes boundary and is further away then Fox Mill. Thats right also... I live in a house not a shack which I'm guessing you probably assumed. I have no grudge against those at Fox Mill as I myself went to Fox Mill Elementary School and Rachel Carson and my best friend currently lives in Fox Mill, but I find it ridiculous that I live further away yet go to South Lakes. Which leads me to believe that somehow this has nothing to do with Oakton itself or distance but the school in which you are to attend and the people that roam its halls... The reason my development and house attend South Lakes but yet you attend Oakton is because my development is simply newer than Fox Mill Estates. In other words the reason this redistricting is being done is to update the boudnaries which leads to less bus mileage each year and in turn more money. Have you not heard of the hundred million dollar debt that Fairfax County is in right now? I'm sure this helps that situation moreso then hurts it...

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: March 04, 2008 08:59PM

Stephanie - you are in a good position to comment, both responsively and meaningfully, on Trickie's post regarding the disruption factor concerning less than serious students, many of them who are, unfortunately (and it squares with demographic data all over the country) members of minority groups. But race isn't the issue - disruptive students are - and query, what can you distill is going on in the classes you do not take? Note that Trickie avers that she has been a secondary school teacher, and her comments square with what I have consistently heard from similarly placed teachers - and I have no reason to doubt their credibility - some are, in fact, quite to the left of the political spectrum, as progressive as can be imagined. Disruptive students are a problem, and the relevant data reflects that they exist in greater number at South Lakes.

My sense of intuition is that there is more disruption going on than at Oakton (where there is very little) and than at TJ (where there is virtually none) - both places I can personally attest to. So the in the end a persuasive and meaningful response would both intuit and explain: i) the experience of the students not fortunate to be in the classes you take; and ii) the affirmative, concrete steps the school takes to control the disruption factor. These are actually challenging Socratic queries but you come off as quite bright and able to respond to them. And of course factual detail would be welcomed.

Note that I don't find college admission statistics tremendously insightful at South Lakes, for the following reasons: a) good full diploma IB students are going to get into good schools - period - these same 7-8 percenters are going to get into good schools anywhere (although there might be an advantage to admission to Uva over an Oakton that has 120 kids applying) - this of course is a good thing for the IB program but it also confuses cause and effect a bit - ; and b) given the demographics of Reston - which is thankfully welcoming to minorities, and particularly to well educated ones as well as mixed race couples - and further given the often astounding admissions preferences given to certain minority groups in college admission, the college admission statistics may be misleading to the majority of the white and asian students (the latter who face real discrimination in college admissions) who have trepidation over coming to South Lakes. This is not to say that the work of the fine students at SLHS isn't meaningful - along with their college acceptances, it is just that there is reason to be skeptical about the glowing college admission statements as they may not have application to the relevant group of students.

Date: March 04, 2008 09:09PM

Stephanie Wrote:
>
> Yeah because Polo Club is on the border of the
> Westfield/ South Lakes boundary and is further
> away then Fox Mill. Thats right also... I live in
> a house not a shack which I'm guessing you
> probably assumed. I have no grudge against those
> at Fox Mill as I myself went to Fox Mill
> Elementary School and Rachel Carson and my best
> friend currently lives in Fox Mill, but I find it
> ridiculous that I live further away yet go to
> South Lakes. Which leads me to believe that
> somehow this has nothing to do with Oakton itself
> or distance but the school in which you are to
> attend and the people that roam its halls... The
> reason my development and house attend South Lakes
> but yet you attend Oakton is because my
> development is simply newer than Fox Mill Estates.
> In other words the reason this redistricting is
> being done is to update the boudnaries which leads
> to less bus mileage each year and in turn more
> money. Have you not heard of the hundred million
> dollar debt that Fairfax County is in right now?
> I'm sure this helps that situation moreso then
> hurts it...

This completely confuses me. You say to went to Fox Mill ES and Carson MS, but I am pretty sure that, prior to Feb 28, ALL of Fox Mill went to Oakton, and Carson did not feed any students into SL.

Posted by: don't buy it ()
Date: March 04, 2008 09:18PM

Stephanie Wrote:
> In other words the reason this redistricting is
> being done is to update the boudnaries which leads
> to less bus mileage each year and in turn more
> money. Have you not heard of the hundred million
> dollar debt that Fairfax County is in right now?

I don't buy that one iota - not even post-rationalization

a) why use one facilities excuse (numbers) when its really another facilities excuse (buses) (hint- it wasn't a facilities problem)
b) the budget crunch emerged well after the game was in play
c) a few buses here and there won't make a huge amount of difference - there are much better low hanging fruit
d) if this argument made sense, the public would block every zoning change which might one day cause them to be redistricted - no-one would give up the school community they've helped to build so some rich developer can make more money

this was all about the performance issues at SL and hughes

Posted by: sos ()
Date: March 04, 2008 09:36PM

I'm confused too. We lived in Polo Club, and the school pyramid was Dogwood and Langston Huges, not Fox Mill and Carson. How did Stephanie get to attend Fox Mill and Carson instead of the neighborhood pyramid for Polo Club?

And another consideration for that neighborhood going to South Lakes is that it is part of Reston, whereas Fox Mill is not. And back then, there was no Fairfax County Parkway to act as a dividing line.

Posted by: leave_us_alone ()
Date: March 04, 2008 09:47PM

I get very much offended when someone says, the only reason you are pupil placing out of South Lakes is because you don't like South Lakes (because of whatever reason). These people also dismiss AP vs IB argument as a charade.

I have always maintained that I would not have pupil placed out of South Lakes if it was AP school. Why is it so hard for people to accept? As adults we always strive to achieve some goals in life depending on our capability. If my child thinks that doing a full IB diploma is outside his reach and he would rather set himself a smaller goal (that he thinks he can reach), then why should that be a problem? If getting a few AP courses is going to help his college admission, why are strangers second guessing him? I used to live in Reston, have friends in Reston and visit Reston community center often. Why would I be afraid of South Lakes?

RD is done, SB made a decision. Parents and students are making educated decisions for themselves. Why are strangers canvassing which schools/programs these students should attend?

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: March 04, 2008 10:40PM

Interesting? Wrote:
> Stephanie, can you tell me specifically which
> classes you were denied?

My now senior tried to sign up for economics at SL in spring '07 and was told that not enough had signed up.

My oldest took econ at SL in either '98-'99 or '99-'00 when SL had more kids.

Stephanie - I begged you before to stop using your real name. Please! I know you and your family and I don't want to have to talk to your parents in order to protect you from some really bad people who troll on forums like this to take advantage of high school people like yourself.

Date: March 04, 2008 11:00PM

SBS Wrote:
> Stephanie Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Yeah because Polo Club is on the border of the
> > Westfield/ South Lakes boundary and is further
> > away then Fox Mill. Thats right also... I live
> in
> > a house not a shack which I'm guessing you
> > probably assumed. I have no grudge against
> those
> > at Fox Mill as I myself went to Fox Mill
> > Elementary School and Rachel Carson and my best
> > friend currently lives in Fox Mill, but I find
> it
> > ridiculous that I live further away yet go to
> > South Lakes. Which leads me to believe that
> > somehow this has nothing to do with Oakton
> itself
> > or distance but the school in which you are to
> > attend and the people that roam its halls...
> The
> > reason my development and house attend South
> Lakes
> > but yet you attend Oakton is because my
> > development is simply newer than Fox Mill
> Estates.
> > In other words the reason this redistricting is
> > being done is to update the boudnaries which
> leads
> > to less bus mileage each year and in turn more
> > money. Have you not heard of the hundred
> million
> > dollar debt that Fairfax County is in right
> now?
> > I'm sure this helps that situation moreso then
> > hurts it...
>
> This completely confuses me. You say to went to
> Fox Mill ES and Carson MS, but I am pretty sure
> that, prior to Feb 28, ALL of Fox Mill went to
> Oakton, and Carson did not feed any students into
> SL.

When I started Elementaryschool I was under the care of a babysitter whose adress at the time was in Fox Mill Esates and thus I went to Fox Mill so I could take the bus after school to her house while she watched me. After Elementary school ended I pleaded with my parents to let me go to Carson because I had friends from Fox Mill I didn't want to leave. But it was once I went to Carson I realized I didn't have classes with the Fox Mill kids anyways and I learned about the reality that is a new school; that it is a place in which you make new friends.

When the time rolled around for highschool I told my parents that I was fine in going to South Lakes. They gave me the option of trying to pupil place but I decided against it knowing it would later cause problems with sports/ rides to school. When asked why I intended to enroll at South Lakes I simply answered to my parents, "I've never been to Oakton. I've never been to South Lakes. You can't miss what you don't know. Just because my friends will feed into Oakton doesn't mean its garunteed to be the school I'll like." And trust me when I say this, I have no regrets in the decision I made.

The change taught me one thing; you hold on to the people who are truly important to you. To this day my best friend still is enrolled at Oakton, and although it's hard I've learned it's also life, and it important to branch out. You learn to keep hold of the people in your life that truly matter, and that is the lesson to be learned.

By the way my neighboorhood in all honesty feeds into Dogwood and Langston Hughes MS, but because I was being babysat and I needed to take the Fox Mill ES bus to get to her house after school I was enrolled there.

Date: March 05, 2008 07:49AM

Sounds like you had lots of choices reagrding where you wanted to go to school. Just like what most here are fighting for now. You made your choices and are happy with them. Good for you, now let everyone else have the same type of options.

And thanks for the life sermon.

Posted by: sos ()
Date: March 05, 2008 10:33AM

Yes, the old babysitter story again. Many families in Polo Club conveniently found babysitters in Fox Mill or other local schools to avoid Dogwood. Just a different kind of pupil placement.

And then you wanted to go to Carson to be with your friends - wow, how is that any different from the current 8th graders at Carson or Franklin with regards to next year at their high school who want to be with their friends and or siblings?

Many other families want the same opportunities you had to go to the schools they want, for whatever reasons make sense for their families, just as your family had you go to the schools they wanted for you for whatever reasons meant sense for you.

Posted by: navy parent ()
Date: March 05, 2008 11:27AM

For anyone out there who feels even the slightest bit conflicted about pupil-placing their child or moving or private school ....forget about it. Parents should do what they have always been doing in this county and decide for themselves what school (at whatever grade-level) they desire. TJ is a maybe, of course, but any of the others are within your grasp. You just have to be the type of person who takes matters into their own hands and gets it done.

Our kids can all be like Stephanie and go to whatever school we think best suits their needs and will best prepare them for college and a career.

Thank you to Stephanie for sharing her story and helping me stop second guessing myself.

FCPS updated today
Posted by: leave_us_alone ()
Date: March 05, 2008 02:52PM

It seems new guidelines are out. The FCPS web site for student transfer is updated but I don't see what exactly changed? Anyone knows ..

Date: March 05, 2008 04:57PM

Note that Trickie avers that she has been a secondary school teacher, and her comments square with what I have consistently heard from similarly placed teachers - and I have no reason to doubt their credibility - some are, in fact, quite to the left of the political spectrum, as progressive as can be imagined. Disruptive students are a problem, and the relevant data reflects that they exist in greater number at South Lakes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Yes I spent over 30 years in FCPS and I have seen disruptions and student behavior get much worse throughout the years. Some administrators are very lax, teachers who report many discipline problems are seen as trouble makers, and more and more social ills are making their way into our schools. Think of each school as a teenage community, just like a neighborhood in a city. You have some very safe communities and then some aeas of poverty and high crime. Many teachers will often transfer to schools with higher scores because the student behavior is often better. As a teacher, I found the most time consuming part of my job was not instruction but discipline and and dealing with poor or non existent work habits. My principals would say "Call or email the parents." Often I began to feel like I was working the phone bank for public television during my block of planning time. Add to that, many parents were either unavailable or in denial or were willing to place the blame anywhere but on their kid.

At the beginning of the redistricting thread, one of my questions was why don't more parents visit the schools their child attends. Hang around the halls, the student bathrooms, the parking lots, open classroom doors, the cafeteria, etc. Visit classrooms, talk to the SRO officers and police officers. See for yourself what a typical middle school or high school is like. If you see poor behavior or if your kid complains about hallway bullying, dumbed down instruction, noisy classroom atmosphere, COMPLAIN. Bring all the parents from your street or church and demand that changes be made. We are talking about your child's safety and learning.

Trickie

Posted by: Seahawks football #26 ()
Date: March 05, 2008 05:25PM

tell your child to prepare heavily for south lakes

drugs, gangs, and violence galore
better watch out
and remain in a classroom at all times - hallways are unsafe

Posted by: yeah right ()
Date: March 05, 2008 05:49PM

What, we're supposed to be afraid of a big bad Seahawks fuball playa? hahahahahahahaha You couldn't beat the cheerleading squad, or the jewelry making class (IF you had one)!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.