HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cost to build a house?
Posted by: homebuilder ()
Date: January 15, 2012 06:22PM

How much do you think it would cost to build a house?

Say 3-4 bedroom, 2.5 bath

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cost to build a house?
Posted by: RSMeans would help ()
Date: January 15, 2012 07:50PM

With or without land cost included? This region, outside of landcost, is actually below national average for material cost. I think you are looking at 50-70 dollars psf depending on the type of site work necessary. You could really jump in cost if you have serious site work, ie retaining walls or massive landscape, paver, yada yada.

Also new SWM standards may increase that another 5-8k if you need a bioretention facility depending on the site of the site.

More importantly though; even with a 150k-200k sticks and bricks the land around here to build is going to run you 300-400 even without a unit on it unless your out in the real boondocks. Don't forget permits will be required, tough to get, and expensive to have someone expedite.

If you dont have anything and are looking at from scratch, you're likely looking at a 500k investment (with land purchase) and about 20 months before occupancy which means alot of interest cost as well.

If you are looking to flip the house, this is definitely not a great market for flipping (too many new and high end units already on the market doesnt make up for the marginal profit you can make on cost)

Hope that helps

Posted by: Forgot to mention ()
Date: January 15, 2012 07:52PM

If you are looking for engineering advice btw feel free to send me an email, my contact info is on my website www.thetysonscorner.com I am a professionally licensed engineer in Virginia

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: January 15, 2012 08:08PM

There are 479 different ways to build a house, each costing different.

My house, for example, appears to be a "kit built" - looks like they shipped in a lot of the framing already made and tacked it together on site (part of a development). You can also get a "stick built" house that is essentially entirely built on site from 2x4s, etc. And there are also "modular houses" that are almost entirely factory built and trucked out to the site, then stacked and tacked together. I've seen some really nice factory-built modular houses - they don't at ALL look like they were built with a whole bunch of "rectanguler-solid" modular parts. A simple Google search should give you a fair estiamte of the hosue cost - land cost, hookup to utilities, etc are separate.

Here's one Google hit that looks interesting: http://www.building-cost.net/

Posted by: sharon b ()
Date: January 15, 2012 08:09PM

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. - As Fairfax County commuters waited in the heat for their bus, many like Ryan Lauer, wished they had a pool waiting at home.

"That would be great!" Lauer says. "But we would have to pay. At my community right now, we don't have a pool."

What Ryan and thousands of other county taxpayers don’t realize is they are already paying for these pools. But as the gates imply, don’t expect to be allowed in for a quick dip.

“That’s not very cool,” Lauer says. “I don’t have access to that.”

FOX 5 has discovered Fairfax County taxpayers are footing the bill for luxury amenities like pools, billiards tables and indoor basketball courts as part of its affordable housing program run by the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority.

“These are amenities that the people, the taxpayers that are subsidizing this housing don’t have,” says Fairfax County Supervisor Pat Herrity. “So, you've got people that are subsidizing other folks to have these luxury amenities and that's just not right."

Developers who want to build high-density condos and townhomes in Fairfax County are required to sell some of their units at reduced prices to the county, who in turn, rents these units for as little as $300 a month to low-income families, the elderly and the disabled.

“I agree with affordable housing,” says Tina Wright, another county resident waiting for a bus. “But you don't need a clubhouse and a homeowners association and fresh flowers every month. That is ridiculous and I pay taxes, so to me, that is crazy."

Herrity is also upset with some of RHA’s decisions. He says RHA bought townhomes with brick driveways and brick sidewalks in a million dollar neighborhood in McLean, which means taxpayers are also paying the homeowners association fees that go with living in a neighborhood like this.

"Our taxpayers are paying for it,” Herrity says. “It is up to us to make sure we are prudently using taxpayer dollars and I think in this case, we are not prudently using taxpayer dollars."

Records obtained by FOX 5 show the RHA is paying homeowner association fees on more than 500 condos and townhomes, including one development with two outdoor pools, a clubroom, an athletic center and a billiards room. Another comes with an exercise room, indoor basketball court, party room and sports pub.

Based on the documents, amenities like these end up costing the county an estimated $1.3 million in homeowner association fees every year.

"Obviously it doesn't sound good,” Lauer says. “It sounds like just another area where they are not really paying attention to where the money is going."

"I would rather see them not spend the money on the extras and actually use the money on more of the bare essentials to help more people," says Jamie Adams, another Fairfax County taxpayer.

Ron Christian just retired as Chairman of RHA.

"We have a really good housing policy in this county. I am proud of it. I am proud to be a leader of it,” he says.

Christian says RHA follows a strict policy on which units to buy.

"That policy has to do with diversity, making sure we don't put all affordable housing of any kind in one location all the time,” says Christian.

He says the federal government recently gave RHA the very best rating possible for financial management and suggests the county might actually be saving money by paying homeowner association fees.

"They pay for certain things that if we didn't pay a homeowners fee, we would have to send staff from RHA to do. Snow removal, garbage pickup in some cases,” says Christian.

But Herrity remains skeptical.

"These people living in these million dollar homes with these amenities have no real incentive to improve themselves because as soon as they get a raise, they are going to have to move out of these nice units and they're going to end up in units not nearly as nice as the ones they're in."

Posted by: breyerw ()
Date: January 16, 2012 04:10PM

estimate $100 per square foot plus $200 for land and a year to build if you are your own contractor, then it can be done right and you can control the timing.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: January 16, 2012 05:01PM

There are builders out there that will build one of their homes on your site for anywhere between 250K and up. Depends on what you want. What's the square footage? Are you looking to go upscale with granite and marble? How many windows? A basement? There are a lot of details that change the equation dramatically. It's not a simple answer.

Posted by: RSMeans would help ()
Date: January 16, 2012 08:14PM

@breyerw I think your estimates are more than just a bit off, $200 psf would mean a quarter acre lot would be in excess of 2 million dollars. I assume you meant $20 psf which is really a simplified number. For land cost, its all about location location location. Far outside of the beltway in Centreville for instance you could get some land at $5-10 psf, however there are hidden costs including new service tap costs, infrastructure connections, etc that are inherent with outer suburbs. Inside the beltway in an infill project you can expect as much as $40 dollars psf for land, though in many cases there will be a house on it so it would cost more as the person selling would be selling it with the house.

I assume you own this land already, and while it definitely is not a simple answer, for the most part you can assumed $50-70 and include a 25% contigency and you should be fine. Since I am talking in psf cost, if you add a basement then it would be included etc. The costs psf I included encompass below grade, slab on grade, as well as a multitude of finishes. At the end of the day the big costs are costs that all structures have (the sticks, concrete, digging, bricks). Interior finishes can cause some increase as well but the numbers, again, include fairly high end finishes (nothing rare but good stuff). The previous post is right though, companies like ARV do this kind of stuff and are pretty efficient about it (especially the permitting portion) so you'd prolly be better off just hiring them.

Posted by: Moeernop ()
Date: March 26, 2020 02:49PM

Ohh, It is quite difficult to count everything!

Posted by: Op=wetback villain ()
Date: March 26, 2020 07:18PM

I goto my daughters soccer game and pass a “luxury” home being built($700k).
It’s 3 illegals and a huge 100 sheet stack of plywood.
I tell my wife: “bet you those wetbacks will have ALL that plywood installed on the existing frame by the time the game is over....”
Wife laughs.

Daughters team loses, parents bullshit for an hour or so, we pass the house.

Sure as shit, ALLLLLLLL the plywood is up.
2500sq ft home!

I’ve seen “stonework” on a similar sized house facade get done by 2 illegals in less than 8hrs.

How long do you think these luxury homes will last?

My house was built in 1955 and was a time when people took pride in their jobs.
When permit inspectors cared too.

If an inspector fails a “luxury” home in a subdivision, he will be reassigned/lose his job.So, they pass shoddy work.

Posted by: Mozes Lyncs ()
Date: March 27, 2020 09:57AM

Hello! It is quite difficult question. You need to count materials, time, salary for builders, etc. Also there are such important factors like location, size, quality, height, availability of construction material, etc. I can share good calculator from concalculator.com which can help you to count necessary materials. Very useful tool, I often use it in my work!

Posted by: Bigboss322 ()
Date: November 23, 2020 07:56AM

As a fresh graduate, I don't have the money to build a house even in my craziest dreams. My luck is that I inherited a really big piece of land and my dream since I was a kid was to be the owner of a farm and to rescue animals. I'm on the road to doing just that, it's crazy how dreams become reality. I saved just enough money to buy a portable cabin to transform into a house and one of those modular buildings from here https://www.spacemakermodularandportablebuildings.co.uk/our-services/modular-buildings/ for my first few horses that I already found at a butcher house. I can't wait to see them safe in their little new house. I still have a lot to do, but I'm getting there eventually.

Posted by: Marion Berry Homes ()
Date: November 23, 2020 08:05AM

What a fucking nightmare unless you have access to $275k - $325k.
Ask around, the permits, the inspections, contractors with cocaine issues....
If you got ca$h floating around, do it.
However, there’s a reason why you don’t build houses as your main source of income.

Posted by: 4PHPK ()
Date: November 23, 2020 06:52PM

Posted by: 4TJLW ()
Date: November 24, 2020 05:57PM

Posted by: H9Y73 ()
Date: November 25, 2020 02:29PM

Posted by: johankimmey ()
Date: November 25, 2020 06:15PM

very expensive

Posted by: Village Asshole ()
Date: November 25, 2020 06:22PM

homebuilder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much do you think it would cost to build a
> house?
>
> Say 3-4 bedroom, 2.5 bath

Oh you can build the motherfucker real cheap, and pre fab construction makes it cheap and quick

The real expense comes when it is time to find a place to set your new abode up.

Posted by: WEPDP ()
Date: November 25, 2020 07:46PM

Posted by: rgt5rh54 ()
Date: November 25, 2020 10:36PM

I can tell you from contractor talk in the mid-1980's ...

It used to be that "land (and where it was) was the major cost", the home the minor part.

A 3 floor SFD used to cost $20,000 (ranch) to $60,000 (a bigger 3 story or maybe 2-story brick). But the land - that would cost "the real money", half or more of the purchase of a brand new SFD build purchase. THAT IS FOR FAIRFAX.

NATIONALLY the average for "build cost" was lower, in some areas much lower.

Posted by: rgt5rh54 ()
Date: November 25, 2020 10:39PM

brick had always been expensive - like $80,000 expensive for a mid-size SFD. but that was NOT for "brick facing / brick facade" (when i say brick i mean brick wall supported by 3 brick wide walls that stand on their own)

Posted by: YWUCK ()
Date: November 27, 2020 01:50AM

Posted by: VNXCP ()
Date: November 30, 2020 10:26AM

Posted by: Simon55 ()
Date: November 30, 2020 06:34PM

Hi, everybody. I spent a lot of money on repairs, because I decided to do it myself, the problem was also in the tools, I didn't even want to ask my friends for tools because they are very expensive. So I thought for a long time and realized that these tools will not work for me. And I found this set for equipment tools for the rack. On the site dordognehire.com houses are eternal and durable, but the problem is in the selection of tools. So I decided to go to this site and make the house reliable and high-quality, with minimal costs!

Posted by: jimmy2342 ()
Date: November 30, 2020 06:45PM

They need a mod to delete all the spam off this website.

Posted by: skdfja;dfjklasf ()
Date: November 30, 2020 06:46PM

This thread has 11,400 views, no wonder spammers come here.

Posted by: Mike123 ()
Date: November 30, 2020 07:12PM

Simon55 Wrote:
> Hi, everybody. I spent a lot of money on repairs,
> because I decided to do it myself, the problem was
> also in the tools, I didn't even want to ask my
> friends for tools because they are very expensive.
> So I thought for a long time and realized that
> these tools will not work for me. And I found this
> set for equipment tools for the rack. On the site
> href="https://www.dordognehire.com/">dordognehire.
> com
houses are eternal and durable, but the
> problem is in the selection of tools. So I decided
> to go to this site and make the house reliable and
> high-quality, with minimal costs!
Repairing costs more than building new sometimes.

Posted by: T7JEV ()
Date: November 30, 2020 09:58PM

Posted by: GNTET ()
Date: December 05, 2020 08:26AM

Posted by: XK3CE ()
Date: December 05, 2020 09:37PM

Posted by: MDVHX ()
Date: December 06, 2020 02:27PM

Posted by: UVTJ9 ()
Date: December 06, 2020 06:06PM

Posted by: Peter Joseph ()
Date: November 24, 2021 11:04AM

Difficult question. All it depends on different factors like house size, materials, contractor company conditions and so on.

Posted by: Citizens arrest that man ()
Date: November 24, 2021 06:12PM

Peter Joseph Wrote:
> Difficult question. All it depends on different
> factors like house size, materials, contractor
> company conditions and so on.

Also if Ahmaud Arbery goes in there with his nasty long toenails and steals material and tools.

Posted by: Can't We All Just Get Along ()
Date: November 24, 2021 11:28PM

Can't we all be friends and get along
Attachments:
somefriends.jpg

Posted by: Finally A Break In Costs ()
Date: November 24, 2021 11:36PM

The cost of plywood is coming down somewhat I saw 4x8 by 3/4 exterior at 90 a sheet this year in April now its "down" to about 55-60 , when Trump was president, it was about 28 .

Posted by: 4TNWJ ()
Date: November 26, 2021 06:39AM

Hire a bunch of illegals, and you will save much on labor costs building it. Of course, good chance with subpar quality it will fall apart sooner and you will end up with more costs to maintain and repair it.

Posted by: 4TNWJ ()
Date: November 26, 2021 06:42AM

4TNWJ Wrote:
> Hire a bunch of illegals, and you will save much
> on labor costs building it. Of course, good
> chance with subpar quality it will fall apart
> sooner and you will end up with more costs to
> maintain and repair it.

On second thought, why hire illegals to keep them in this country and county and their demoncrap behavior.

Posted by: Jothm ()
Date: November 26, 2021 12:30PM

According to different sources, the average cost to build a house is $298,000. But most homeowners spend between $150,000 and $445,000 to build new home/house. While you can get a general idea of what you may pay, it’s important to keep in mind that there are numerous factors which will impact the cost to build. For example take a look how much different bricks https://www.mgnbm.co.uk/building-products/bricks-blocks/ you can choose for building.

Posted by: Assholes will be assholes ()
Date: November 26, 2021 04:33PM

Yes assholes believe an asshole that is lying and a mentally ill obsessed ugly short freak and fuck you. I don’t give a fuck. I live my life and am happy. I am asshole free. Enjoy your shitty sad life being an asshole doing asshole things. Suck my dick.

Posted by: Harry Fields ()
Date: July 22, 2022 09:36AM

How Long Does It Take to Complete a Renovation?
This section will discuss the time it takes to complete a kitchen renovation.
It is hard to say how long it would take to complete a kitchen renovation because there are so many factors that affect the project.
The time required for a kitchen renovation can vary widely depending on the complexity of the project, budget, and expertise of the contractor.

Posted by: Kelley Wheeler ()
Date: July 22, 2022 09:37AM

How Long Does It Take to Complete a Renovation?
This section will discuss the time it takes to complete a kitchen renovation.
It is hard to say how long it would take to complete a kitchen renovation because there are so many factors that affect the project.
The time required for a kitchen renovation can vary widely depending on the complexity of the project, budget, and expertise of the contractor.

Posted by: NicholasLewis ()
Date: July 22, 2022 03:46PM

Hello. If this is still relevant for you, then I want to say that I also did repairs and they helped me with the design of the kitchen on the website https://kitchensearch.com/, where I was also able to order kitchen cabinets. Why don't you try? I am sure that local designers will be able to pick up something really interesting for you or you will choose something from their catalog. Have a nice day.

Posted by: Die Spammer!!!!! ()
Date: February 07, 2024 04:53PM

Simon55 Wrote:
> Hi, everybody. I spent a lot of money on repairs,
> because I decided to do it myself, the problem was
> also in the tools, I didn't even want to ask my
> friends for tools because they are very expensive.
> So I thought for a long time and realized that
> these tools will not work for me. And I found this
> set for equipment tools for the rack. On the site
> href="https://www.dor

Keep your shitty malware-infested links off this site

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g
file.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamy

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.