HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
apartment help
Posted by: any ideas? ()
Date: January 09, 2012 09:22PM

I just turned 18 a month ago and I am looking for some good apartments around Fairfax area. I would like a good neighborhood, convenient location ( some what close to stores-walmart or giant) and also how much is rent usually on average for a month? Also, I have no credit since I just turned 18, would that be a problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: apartment help
Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: January 09, 2012 10:00PM

I have lived in two apartments in the area;

Camden at Monument, rent was $1465 a month for 2br/2bth, great area close to Fairfax Corner.

The Arbors, rent was $1622 a month for 2br/2bth, also great area since it is right down the street from Camden.

Most leasing companies do a credit check as part of the application process, so that might be a problem if you have no credit at all.

Posted by: what r u lookin 4 ()
Date: January 09, 2012 10:08PM

what r u specifically looking for? As 1 bedroom 2 bedroom or what?

Posted by: hmm. ()
Date: January 09, 2012 10:09PM

what r u lookin 4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what r u specifically looking for? As 1 bedroom 2
> bedroom or what?

Well probably either a studio or bedroom

Posted by: not easy. ()
Date: January 09, 2012 10:19PM

it really sucks. you can get a nice bedroom one bath for around $1,300. that price is not that close to any metro. your credit will be checked and most time you will have to pay for the deal.
it is fuckin not easy anymore for rent. "the Rent is too damn high," wish you luck.

Date: January 09, 2012 10:27PM

After renting for almost four years I am in the process of buying a house. Wish I had thought of that two years ago, before I wasted almost $40,000 in rent.

Posted by: rent is too damn high. ()
Date: January 09, 2012 10:36PM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:
> After renting for almost four years I am in the
> process of buying a house. Wish I had thought of
> that two years ago, before I wasted almost $40,000
> in rent.

what happens when your single and make 43,500 a year. just exactly what choice do you have but rent?

Date: January 09, 2012 10:39PM

Combined my chick and I make about 75K, but we are only 25 and 24 respectively. I cannot wait to finish buying a home and get out of the renting scenario.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: January 09, 2012 10:45PM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:
> in rent.

You can find convincing arguments both for and against home ownership. Just go with whatever situation you're in and count yourself as confidently enjoying the reasons to rent or own.

Posted by: rent's too damn high ()
Date: January 09, 2012 10:48PM

Agree with getting out of the renting scenario, but if one of you lost you job would you be able to afford the payment, bills on your salary alone?
Again, making 43,500 a year with an 800 credit score, i still feel that i qualify for nothing.
Am i wrong?

Posted by: PartyDoctor ()
Date: January 09, 2012 11:04PM

Don't most 18 year olds GTFO from NOVA as soon as possible? This area is REALLY expensive and not very much fun. There are so many better places for young people to live. Why wouldn't you want to move to a fun cheap place?

any ideas? Wrote:
> I just turned 18 a month ago and I am looking for
> some good apartments around Fairfax area. I would
> like a good neighborhood, convenient location (
> some what close to stores-walmart or giant) and
> also how much is rent usually on average for a
> month? Also, I have no credit since I just turned
> 18, would that be a problem?

Posted by: blah ()
Date: January 09, 2012 11:06PM

you wont be able to afford anything in fairfax unless you are making $35,000 a year

Date: January 09, 2012 11:06PM

rent's too damn high Wrote:
> Agree with getting out of the renting scenario,
> but if one of you lost you job would you be able
> to afford the payment, bills on your salary
> alone?
> Again, making 43,500 a year with an 800 credit
> score, i still feel that i qualify for nothing.
> Am i wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. You will qualify for something in the area, but you will save money if you look for an apartment in the Manasses(yes there are nice places in Manasses) or Gainsville.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: January 09, 2012 11:20PM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:
> in rent.

If you spend 20K on rent in 2 years, I'm assuming you paid around $835 per month.

You would have to have bought a pretty cheap place (i.e. condo) to come out ahead on your numbers.

Math/reasoning as follows:

If you bought a 300K townhouse and put 20% down (not sure you could) for a 240K mortgage (and since 2 years ago, say 5% interest rate), you're looking at ~985 a month in just interest. Now plus ~250 for taxes, ~100 for insurance and let's be conservative and say 65 for HOA, you're looking at:

1400 a month on non-principal (there's an extra ~300 a month going to principal).

So that's not a better deal purely from a $ perspective unless the extra SQFT more than offsets it for you (which it may well, but that's subjective).

----

Now if you purchased a condo for half that, let's say 150K, your PITI drops in half as well (approx), but your condo fees will be much higher than HOA dues. So I'm betting you're at least back somewhere around your rent price.

And neither example factors in all the upkeep costs you also have (though there are less with a condo obviously since it's factored into your dues).

Oh, and the final factor which makes all of this silly guesswork without knowing - what SQFT are you getting on your current $835 rent, and what is the location? Cause that determines the quality/location of condo that $150K gets you...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2012 11:32PM by snowdenscold.

Date: January 09, 2012 11:27PM

$1,600 a month

x

24 months

=

$38,400

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: January 09, 2012 11:31PM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:
> $1,600 a month
> x
> 24 months
> =
> $38,400

Haha, oops, I confused myself with mentally making 40k->20k to only do half the time, but then the 2 out of 4 years tricked me back to 24 months.

Sooo, uh yeah... I guess you're about breaking even on the 300K townhouse (cause of all the upkeep costs I didn't include).

Posted by: i can't find ()
Date: January 10, 2012 02:55PM

...I can't find a single decent 1 bedroom apartment for less than $1100 in Fairfax County Proper! Want to stay here for my son's school but can't afford it much longer only making $38k- my max rent per my income should only be $1,055.

Sucks to be poor.

Posted by: down and out ()
Date: January 10, 2012 03:03PM

i can't find Wrote:
> ...I can't find a single decent 1 bedroom
> apartment for less than $1100 in Fairfax County
> Proper! Want to stay here for my son's school but
> can't afford it much longer only making $38k- my
> max rent per my income should only be $1,055.
>
> Sucks to be poor.

yes, it sucks. i'm priced out of the house market. and rent is not cheap in this area. rent is normally 1,200 to 1,300.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: January 10, 2012 03:10PM

FYI Circle Towers has 1 bedrooms for $1100 a month and pays utilities (actually , you pay them back based on number of people and apartment size; for a single in a 1 bedroom , thats $80 to $120 a month for gas , heat and electric)

Not the ritziest place in NOVA but totally functional.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 10, 2012 03:17PM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:
> rent's too damn high Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Agree with getting out of the renting scenario,
> > but if one of you lost you job would you be
> able
> > to afford the payment, bills on your salary
> > alone?
> > Again, making 43,500 a year with an 800 credit
> > score, i still feel that i qualify for nothing.
> > Am i wrong?
>
>
> Yes, you are wrong. You will qualify for something
> in the area, but you will save money if you look
> for an apartment in the Manasses(yes there are
> nice places in Manasses) or Gainsville.

There's only 1, maybe 2 apartment complexes in Gainesville. Off of 29, back behind the old Shoppers Food Warehouse shopping plaza (has Bonefish in it). Manassas does have some nice parts, more towards the southern part of Manassas - not the north area near Manassas Park. And forget about Guatemala Manassas Park, that place is shit.

The OP may want to look into Centreville as well. A number of apartments around Trinity Center and there's the shopping center right across 29.

EDIT: To the OP - can you get together a roommate or two? You could probably rent a house together and end up paying less per month than what you'd pay for an apartment on your own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 03:18PM by Warhawk.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: January 10, 2012 03:21PM

I am friends with a cop from the McLean office that whose patrol included circle towers normally. They mentioned it's a shithole and have been to a lot of calls there.

If you want just a room at a nice house my roomate is moving out you can PM me and we can talk details.

Posted by: circle slum ()
Date: January 10, 2012 05:39PM

BEH Wrote:
> FYI Circle Towers has 1 bedrooms for $1100 a month
> and pays utilities (actually , you pay them back
> based on number of people and apartment size; for
> a single in a 1 bedroom , thats $80 to $120 a
> month for gas , heat and electric)
>
> Not the ritziest place in NOVA but totally
> functional.

Sure, move to Circle if you want to get robbed and die. Why do you want to do this at 18, anyway? Did you have a fight with your mom?

Posted by: Not Gonna Happen ()
Date: January 10, 2012 07:58PM

You're 18. At that age and with no college you're probably making a really low salary (if, in fact, you work). Unless you're parents or other generous relatives are willing to subsidize you, you're looking at best at living with a roommate, or in a group house. Especially since you have no credit (personally, as a landlord, I wouldn't go anywhere near you).

That may not sound great, especially if you grew up in the pampered confines of Fairfax, but it would actually be a good learning experience. You'd figure out how to budget, how to get along with others, and - most of all - you'd be motivated to figure out a way to make more money to get out of there. This is as good as it gets at your age - as it pretty much should be.

One caution - you're 18 and clearly pretty naive. Make sure you feel comfortable with any and all potential roommates and - especially if you're female - make sure someone knows where you're going (or better yet comes along) when you are checking out places.

Posted by: options ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:25PM

An 18 y/o in NoVa who wants to leave home has one decent option: go away to college. If you move into one of these low rent dumps around here and try to pay for it with a million low paying jobs, your quality of life will be sh*t. Eventually, you will bottom out financially and have no choice but to move back home with the old farts that you so desperately wanted to get away from. Enjoy this time in your life for what it is, make the most of it, and don't rush things.

Posted by: very true ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:32PM

very true, at 18 your going to be house poor and have zero money for anything if you rent alone. you are getting very good advice here. enjoy your life, don't get locked into a financial shit storm with renting here.
trust me, time goes by fast. if you rent in this area, it would be wise to find really good, cool roomates. hell, you will save money and meet other people in your situation.

Posted by: Mr. Craig ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:44PM

Go on Craigs List and find a house with roommates, only way i know how to keep rent cheap.

Posted by: bed bugs ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:54PM

Posted by: true ()
Date: January 10, 2012 09:15PM

PartyDoctor Wrote:
> Don't most 18 year olds GTFO from NOVA as soon as
> possible? This area is REALLY expensive and not
> very much fun. There are so many better places for
> young people to live. Why wouldn't you want to
> move to a fun cheap place?
>
>
>
> any ideas? Wrote:
> -----
> > I just turned 18 a month ago and I am looking
> for
> > some good apartments around Fairfax area. I
> would
> > like a good neighborhood, convenient location (
> > some what close to stores-walmart or giant) and
> > also how much is rent usually on average for a
> > month? Also, I have no credit since I just
> turned
> > 18, would that be a problem?

Yes, I agree. Most 18 year old kids try to move away from here and move away from their parents, but the reason why I'm looking to stay around here is to still be close to my parents.

Posted by: .... ()
Date: January 10, 2012 09:17PM

circle slum Wrote:
> BEH Wrote:
> -----
> > FYI Circle Towers has 1 bedrooms for $1100 a
> month
> > and pays utilities (actually , you pay them
> back
> > based on number of people and apartment size;
> for
> > a single in a 1 bedroom , thats $80 to $120 a
> > month for gas , heat and electric)
> >
> > Not the ritziest place in NOVA but totally
> > functional.
>
>
> Sure, move to Circle if you want to get robbed and
> die. Why do you want to do this at 18, anyway? Did
> you have a fight with your mom?

No, I didn't have a fight with my mom. My parents have 3 other children(adopted) and I know money is really tight with them and I don't want to cause them wasting more money.

Posted by: batanya ()
Date: May 16, 2012 02:21PM

According to this site, it seems like apartments may run quite a comprehensive search on you. This ranges from background checks, credit reports, eviction reports, etc. You may have to sign on with a cosigner if you want your own apartment, or try looking for sublet options. You don't have to sign onto the lease, but this has its own risks as well. Another option is couchsurfing, sites like AirBNB and couchsurfing.org offer a lot of cheap places.

Posted by: SavingMoneyinVA ()
Date: May 17, 2012 12:09AM

When I first moved into this area, I was used to apartment living at very reasonable rates in another state. After living in 2 "cheap" apartment complexes here, I discovered that apartment living here constitutes the worst living conditions of the housing pyramid in this area, and the rents may start out "high" but they are sure to go up 10-20% every year you stay as a matter of course in most non-rent-controlled areas (read "Virginia)". So if you move in on a "special", you may not like what it will cost you to stay in any succeeding years.
After 5 years, I got out of apartment living (Oakton Park and Vienna Park were the pits). I checked out house-sharing opportunities on Craig's list and Roommates.com and with a lot of search, research and interviewing have found mostly good places to live, even with those with low and reasonable rents.
The biggest problem with house-sharing will be that the owners will often sell out if they get into financial trouble, or even just sell the house to move around to various other parts of the country for new jobs,and you MAY have to move more often and find a new place all over again, and so you also will need to screen your potential roommates and landlord as well as they screen you to determine if the current and future living conditions are going to be something you can live with. There are all sorts of lifestyles represented, and you will need to do due diligence on the roommates and their living habits. Do they party all night, is it a drug den, or an immigrant household that makes their living renting out mattresses in bathrooms and dens, or staid older folks, empty nesters paying off their mortgage with renters,and who will allow "none of the above"? You will run into all these situations in your search.
A co-worker of mine moved 6 times in a year into room-rentals in house shares because she did none of these due diligence things, and she kept getting herself into room rentals where the owners were foreighners or Muslims and strictly followed their own religious laws--ie., "non-believers" were not allowed to use the main kitchen or the washer/drier or the upstairs bathrooms. This does not work for long, so she, not wishing to convert to another faith, would find it necessary toleave and just kept looking for the perfect roommate situation, which she eventually found. Do not just take the first rental opportunity that comes along out of desperation, check it out first. Some are meant only for short-termers. Others prefer long-term tenants.
Remember also that there are a lot of parents in the Northern Virginia area that buy condos and townhouses for their kids who are starting out at college or work here in the DC area. Many of the people looking for house-share roommates specify an age group in the 20's in their preference for roommates. They rent out their condo or townhouse to other roommates and thus get a second income stream. House share room rentals cost 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of an apartment. Some are furnished with everything needed, some you add utility shares to the rent, some rents include utilities.
If you can look at your situation in a detached way, it might be more sensible if you actually are working to pay rent to your family as both of you seem to be in need. Renting from family and offering a share of the utilities until you save up enough for a condo down payment would cost less than from another place also. And if you go the roommate route, remember everyone has karma and unless you can find some really great friends willing to go in on a townhouse or condo with you, you could be facing the same irritations you are experiencing with the family situation. Whatever you try work out the numbers, as you will need close attention and discipline with spending and saving habits to make it by yourself either way. The closer to work you get the less money you will spend on transportation, also.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.