HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Can I file a noise complaint at 4pm?
Posted by: leibowski ()
Date: January 07, 2012 04:17PM

I live in a condo and a neighbor below me is constantly blasting his bass extremely loud. Right now it is happening and it is only 4pm, but he does it a lot at night too. Can I file a noise complaint during the day or is it only something I can do when it's expected people be quiet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I file a noise complaint at 4pm?
Posted by: not noisy ()
Date: January 07, 2012 04:18PM

call in a noise complaint at any time to 703 691 2131 (fairfax county)

Posted by: depends ()
Date: January 07, 2012 04:41PM

It depends how loud it is if its during the day

Posted by: .m. ()
Date: January 07, 2012 04:44PM

Well, you CAN file it but the cops won't do anything til after 11PM that's when 'disturbing the peace' comes in at...

Posted by: OMG CALL THE COPS! ()
Date: January 07, 2012 04:50PM

That's not what cops are for. Annoying you isn't illegal. Why don't you be the better neighbor and go have a friendly talk about it?

Posted by: too ()
Date: January 07, 2012 05:25PM

there are noise laws in affect at any hour of the day. just ask my noisy neighbor

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: January 07, 2012 05:43PM

Have you ever thought of just knocking on his door and politely asking him to turn down the bass?

If you have and that didn't work, have you considered what your condo association can do for you? If you're a renter, you may have to complain to your landlord who can then contact the condo association.

If you have exhausted those options, then call the cops. A complaint to the cops carries much more weight if you have already tried your other options. If you can get any kind of report from the cops, you can approach the condo association with it. They almost always have rules about doing stuff that has cops showing up to deal with it.

Posted by: not noisy ()
Date: January 07, 2012 08:07PM

You may contact Fairfax County police any time at 703-691-2131 and they will enforce the noise ordinance -- no matter what time of day it is. See "...still constitute a noise disturbance under Section 108-5-1 independently of the hours of day said acts take place..." Yes there are references to 11 p.m. - 7 a.m., but you cannot make unreasonably loud noise for the rest of the day or night either.

You can read the law:

Section 108-5-1. - Loud and unnecessary noise.

It shall be unlawful for any person to make, continue to make, or cause to be made or continued, a noise disturbance within the County of Fairfax.

(7-17-68, § 17-4; 24-75-16A; 1961 Code, § 16A.5.1.)

Section 108-5-2. - Specific prohibitions.

The following acts, are declared to be noise disturbances in violation of this Chapter, provided that the acts so specified shall not be deemed to be an exclusive enumeration of those acts which may constitute a noise disturbance under Section 108-5-1, and provided that the acts so specified in Subparagraph (a) below may still constitute a noise disturbance under Section 108-5-1 independently of the hours of day said acts take place.

(a) Operating or permitting the use, or operation of any radio receiving set, musical instrument, television, phonograph, or any other device for the production of sound between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. the following day in such a manner as to be plainly audible across property boundaries or through partitions common to two persons within a building or plainly audible at fifty (50) feet from such device when operated within a motor vehicle parked on a public right-of-way or in a public place.

See Section 108-5 of the Fairfax County Code:
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10051

Overview of noise in the County:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/environment/noise/

Posted by: Pay back's a bitch ()
Date: January 08, 2012 09:39AM

Years ago I had a condo in Arlington. One Friday afternoon around 3pm, I had two friends over. I never played my stereo loud, but I had a Sprinsteen album in and cranked a fee tunes. My noisy neighbor (3 feet away) called the police. By the time the officer got there-no music at all.

The officer was miffed she was called out for such a ridiculous thing, and told me I could play the music as loud as I wanted-as long as it was off if the police came, nothing could be done.

After that I had Elton John's "The Bitch is Back" always ready. Every time I saw her pull up (during the day-most of my neighbor's were at work) I would crank that song as loud as a could as she walked up our sidewalk. Young and immature-but it felt so good.

Posted by: Übermensch ()
Date: January 08, 2012 04:09PM

If you haven't even spoken to the guy yet, you're a dumbass, and a pusssy.

Don't go get the cops involved if you haven't tried settling it yourself first. It's immature and inconsiderate.

Posted by: f-the bishop ()
Date: January 08, 2012 05:03PM

if it's zakk wylde he is cranking up, deal with it. if it's fuckin rap, or salsa spic music, take out your gun and shoot the fucker.

Posted by: Nutty ()
Date: January 08, 2012 05:26PM

I use to crank my music all the time in my condo. All it took to turn it down was a knock on the door by neighbors or a phone call.

Posted by: Been There, Done That ()
Date: January 08, 2012 06:27PM

wnrsm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you ever thought of just knocking on his door
> and politely asking him to turn down the bass?

Well, I tried that a long time ago with the guy across the hall. He yelled at me and berated me, while my boyfriend cowered in the kitchen. This may work for a 6' tall guy - not so much for a tiny female.

Posted by: Be a neighbor ()
Date: January 08, 2012 06:42PM

I won't be a dick about it but I agree, people get cops/animal control involved too often, if you approach the guy, in a friendly tone and politely tell him that it's bothering you, you may be pleasantly surprised by his reaction, he could also be a total douche about it, in which case, call the popo.

Posted by: Sorry ()
Date: January 08, 2012 06:43PM

Sorry, missed our last post, if he's a dick about it, go ahead call the cops.

Posted by: Übermensch ()
Date: January 08, 2012 07:15PM

Been There, Done That Wrote:
> wnrsm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Have you ever thought of just knocking on his
> door
> > and politely asking him to turn down the bass?
>
> Well, I tried that a long time ago with the guy
> across the hall. He yelled at me and berated me,
> while my boyfriend cowered in the kitchen. This
> may work for a 6' tall guy - not so much for a
> tiny female.
Solution: Grab yourself a shotgun, baseball bat, tire iron, or relatively large knife, and then kindly ask him to reconsider.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: January 08, 2012 07:42PM

my neighbors scream and yell at each other at 3am...i went and got their apt number for the next time they decide to yell. however, that has not happened since christmas and im slightly urked about that.

Posted by: they dead ()
Date: January 08, 2012 11:16PM

meh Wrote:
> my neighbors scream and yell at each other at
> 3am...i went and got their apt number for the next
> time they decide to yell. however, that has not
> happened since christmas and im slightly urked
> about that.

Murder suicide?

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: January 09, 2012 03:41AM

It's now 3:30 a.m. put some Archie Bell & The Drells Tighten Up on the turntable and turn the knob to 11

Posted by: Tanya ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:02PM

You are lying and deceiving people on this post! No officer (following the law) would tell you that you can play your music as loud as you want. Furthermore, if you are doing it intentionally than eventually someone is going to come along and do something that will aggravate you.

There are laws in place for people who are very ignorant and choose to disturb others because they really don't have a life. Do unto others as you want done unto you, and well if you want to mess with the wrong person one day keep up the loud noise and you will surely meet your match :).

Posted by: Tanya ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:10PM

How stupid you sound, its stupid and inconsiderate for the person to blast their music. Furtheremore, by law no neighbor has to forwarn the person blatantly breaking the law that they are calling police. They are not obligated to do so, nor do they have to put up with people who are shit starters by blasting music or breaking the law just to aggravate or mess with others!

To go to the door of the person breaking the law would be dangerous, because you dont know what type person they may be, and if they are inconsiderate of others than most likely they are a dumbass who will try to argue and fight. Contact your landlord first and if they dont handle it call police and file a report so that the information can be given to the landlord to talk to them, this way you also remain anonymous if you feel you need to!

Posted by: 4MwJ6 ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:16PM

walk up to your neighbor, flash him your stretched-out ballsack and sound off like a pissed off mule passing a pinecone. Having asserted fucking dominance, kindly ask him to turn his "stereo system" down.

Everyone says to approach dickhead like the "cool neighbor" but what happens when he tells you to go slam your nuts in a drawer. You've marked yourself as the bitch who called the next time you need to.

Posted by: Barvus ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:18PM

Tanya. I'll turn the music down if you show me your tits then flick me off.

Posted by: Psycho plays everywhere ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:40PM

4MwJ6 Wrote:
> walk up to your neighbor, flash him your
> stretched-out ballsack and sound off like a pissed
> off mule passing a pinecone. Having asserted
> fucking dominance, kindly ask him to turn his
> "stereo system" down.
>
> Everyone says to approach dickhead like the "cool
> neighbor" but what happens when he tells you to go
> slam your nuts in a drawer. You've marked
> yourself as the bitch who called the next time you
> need to.

True. Never underestimate the persuasive power of fear and being "that crazy motherfucker upstairs."

Posted by: Peanuts ()
Date: February 03, 2014 11:07PM

Call the cops and keep a record of every call. If you have to call more than once, then contact your landlord. I would never approach the neighbor. That could be dangerous and advice to do so is idiotic.

Posted by: Disgruntled Upperclass White Man ()
Date: February 04, 2014 10:39AM

NOT WITH OBONGO IN OFFICE

Posted by: Wuewv ()
Date: February 04, 2014 12:53PM

Psycho plays everywhere Wrote:
> 4MwJ6 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > walk up to your neighbor, flash him your
> > stretched-out ballsack and sound off like a
> pissed
> > off mule passing a pinecone. Having asserted
> > fucking dominance, kindly ask him to turn his
> > "stereo system" down.
> >
> > Everyone says to approach dickhead like the
> "cool
> > neighbor" but what happens when he tells you to
> go
> > slam your nuts in a drawer. You've marked
> > yourself as the bitch who called the next time
> you
> > need to.
>
>
> True. Never underestimate the persuasive power of
> fear and being "that crazy motherfucker upstairs."

Amen brother! You fuck with me, you fuck with my change purse of a nutsack, that's what I've always said.

Posted by: tommyguns ()
Date: January 05, 2018 02:51PM

You really think everyone on here is just complaining just to complain.
I tried politely knocking on my upstairs neighbors door at 11pm 1145pm and 130 am and they are on the other side laughing and don't give a shit about anyone around them. At that point where they are playing loud music till 2 am during the week and also the weekends, having their 5 yr old child sprint across the apartment back and forth for hours until midnight, and the kicker is waiting till midnight to over load the washer machine and run it at midnight to the point you can' even hear yourself think. 4pm is a little much to my understanding but there comes a point where a conversation will only make things worse.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: January 05, 2018 06:09PM

Unfortunately keeping away from the riff-raff means paying more for rent. If it bothers you that much cough up the dough

Posted by: TNCCD ()
Date: January 05, 2018 06:50PM

tommyguns Wrote:
> You really think everyone on here is just
> complaining just to complain.
> I tried politely knocking on my upstairs neighbors
> door at 11pm 1145pm and 130 am and they are on the
> other side laughing and don't give a shit about
> anyone around them. At that point where they are
> playing loud music till 2 am during the week and
> also the weekends, having their 5 yr old child
> sprint across the apartment back and forth for
> hours until midnight, and the kicker is waiting
> till midnight to over load the washer machine and
> run it at midnight to the point you can' even hear
> yourself think. 4pm is a little much to my
> understanding but there comes a point where a
> conversation will only make things worse.

Don't live near niggers.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.