HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ft. Hunt High School fire in the late '70's
Posted by: Pyro ()
Date: January 06, 2012 02:53PM

Anyone remember? Discuss...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ft. Hunt High School fire in the late '70's
Posted by: remember ()
Date: January 06, 2012 03:22PM

Didn't call in the fire but sat and watched the place burn in early morning. Loved the smell of napalm in the morning...or molotov cocktails.

Posted by: Hankook ()
Date: January 06, 2012 03:34PM

I remember it and I remember who started it.

Posted by: fire marshall Bill ()
Date: January 06, 2012 05:11PM

guys name was Mussolino, didnt get sentenced to much for doing it

Posted by: Client 9 ()
Date: January 06, 2012 05:30PM

fire marshall Bill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> guys name was Mussolino, didnt get sentenced to
> much for doing it

I recall that his father was a ranking military official.

Posted by: fire marshall bill ()
Date: January 06, 2012 05:32PM

No , he owned a gas station on Rt 1

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: January 06, 2012 05:48PM

A student named Greer who was the son of a General was with Mussilino that night. They both did very little time.

Posted by: gasohol guzzler ()
Date: January 06, 2012 08:53PM

Weren't they (Mussolino) the owners of Musso gas station? I remember that place selling what they called "gasohol". Without Googling it I recall gasohol having corn it it. It was outrageously priced at 99 cents a gallon!

Posted by: Rt 1 ()
Date: January 06, 2012 09:38PM

Yes, I remember it. I am planning on writing a book on the area, anyone remember the old motels along Rt 1...Wagon Wheel...Pines...Mt. V Inn...etc...lemme know.

Any other stories/memories of now "historic" Rt 1?

Posted by: highway guy ()
Date: January 07, 2012 09:06AM

Drive in where multiplex was. Sketchy Hybla Valley Putt Putt deal in the middle of the parking lot. Roy Rogers on the highway and listening to Sam Huff and Sonny Jurgenson fight off their buzz with RR breakfast. Mt. Vee motel parties and the Ft. Belvoir Grill. Bar J next to a feed store. trailer parks up and down the highway from Sacramento to Beacon where Chuckee Cheese is now. Classic stuff of sketchy people, places and times.

Posted by: bingo ()
Date: January 07, 2012 11:35AM

How about the Plaza, Tim and Ikes,BarJ's, The Rainbow Tree.

Posted by: jaybird ()
Date: January 07, 2012 04:51PM

There were three students convicted in the fire. The other guys name was Smithwick.

Posted by: i remember ()
Date: January 07, 2012 07:25PM

$4 million in damages. destroyed front part of school and melted new gym floor. 3 idiots concocted idea at a party and decided to firebomb the school. fire turned in by a washington post delivery boy. No firealarms so the building burned, burned, burned. They arrested one kid at half time of a basketball game. split schedule for Groveton and Mount Vernon HS. Rebuilt the school but it was still a big pile of garbage. Hasn't been renovated since, it's a middle school now. You can still find little Fort Hunt things in the ceilings or behind closed/locked doors.

Posted by: MtV ()
Date: January 07, 2012 10:31PM

Seems like there was something about the school's insurance company suing the kids after they went to court. Couldn't get money from them at the time, but could take future earnings. ????

Date: January 07, 2012 10:39PM

Date: January 07, 2012 10:56PM

Date: January 07, 2012 11:12PM

Page 8 has an article with two pictures of the aftermath of the fire.
http://www.fcps.edu/WestPotomacHS/Images/pdf/WIRE/May%20FINAL.pdf

Posted by: MUSOLINO ()
Date: January 28, 2012 10:59PM

I WAS THERE

Posted by: nate ()
Date: January 29, 2012 11:14AM

Yes, it's true. Bob Smithwick was playing on the varsity basketball team, and he was arrested at halftime.
His dad died years ago, but the softball field at the school(now Carl Sandberg) is named after him.
Mussolini was the fullback on the football team, and his dad owned the gas station on Route 1.
Greer, the third kid involved, went to Mt. Venon High school.

Posted by: 82 Major ()
Date: January 29, 2012 06:13PM

Was the Greer involved related to Steve or Tom Greer?

I remember the plaza, keystone motel, brooks motor lodge fire that killed 4 or 5 people, how about the engleside grill, christophers/cowboy cafe, little detroit. Then Quick Silvers a few years later was a happening place for a little bit. Zeds, the drive in, the duck pin bowling alley, memco, the mount vernon monster...so many memories....LoL

Posted by: MV Hi ()
Date: January 29, 2012 06:34PM

82 Major...where'd you live?

Riverside Estates...

Posted by: bruin ()
Date: January 29, 2012 08:35PM

I think the deal was those guys were trying to get even with a principal, Dr. Jay Manning, who had made the Ft. Hunt campus closed at lunch, or something like that? I think they fire was started in his office? I dunno...that guy was a sub-school principal at LBSS in the 70's, then later was down in La Plata, MD., I heard...

Posted by: nate ()
Date: January 29, 2012 10:12PM

It was actually quite a successful school academically and athletically, even though it wasn't all that big. It was mostly white, but they drew from Gum Springs, right off Route 1, giving them some great black athletes to go along with some pretty good white ones too. They had top notch football and track programs. The band, as I recall, was also nationally recognized. Mussolino, the idiot that started the fire, was a running back on the football team.

Posted by: 82 Major ()
Date: January 30, 2012 08:09AM

MV Hi Wrote:
> 82 Major...where'd you live?
>
> Riverside Estates...

Mt. V Manor.

Posted by: federales ()
Date: February 01, 2012 03:54PM

I think Dr Manning went on to Langley for a while. Rocky Belk, a star player from Ft Hunt and then Miami, apparently died a year ago or so...

Posted by: mv'er ()
Date: February 01, 2012 04:02PM

was in elementary school when I remember hearing about the fire and when I was in high school I remember the "rape" at Ft. Hunt. That made the local news.

Date: February 01, 2012 06:27PM

mv'er Wrote:
> was in elementary school when I remember hearing
> about the fire and when I was in high school I
> remember the "rape" at Ft. Hunt. That made the
> local news.

Missed the rape. When was that...and what happened?

Posted by: federal '83 ()
Date: February 03, 2012 12:38PM

Here is a story on the rape. I forgot about, too. But I graduated in '83 so it was after my time.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19841012&id=BwFOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-YsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3612,1808376

Date: July 10, 2012 02:49AM

You were there m1datlantic@yahoo.com??? Really???

Matt Mussolini, Tim Greer & Bob Smithwick's parent’s professions, connections & community influence/clout permitted their adult sons to perpetrate a very expensive crime with virtual impunity. The taxpayer picked up the tab the old fashioned way – by being screwed. (And Matt Mussolini’s brother, Nick, does him no favors by correcting a $4.5 million damage claim on another web site by stating that is was actually $11 million in damage. (Ft. Hunt students were never the sharpest tools in the shed! LOL))

And,for the record, Matt’s delusional to think he’s welcome to attend anything but a mini-reunion with his ‘associates’. Those whose lives were upended would welcome Matt & his cohorts to a reunion by renting Hummers & inadvertently losing control of the vehicles:-)

Lastly, I’m willing to bet that karma caught up with all 3 of them & their juvenile associates.

Posted by: Hey Route 1 ()
Date: July 10, 2012 03:27AM

Ever hear of a gentleman named Michael Keck. he had a used bookstore along route 1 for years. I believe he tried for years get something going along the lines of preserving and/or recording the history of route 1. mr. keck has been gone for years but maybe has family in the area and his collection of stuff related to route 1.
I seem to remember former county supervisor kauffman had some interactions with Mike Keck about preservation efforts for route 1.

Date: July 10, 2012 07:16PM

Anybody know whatever happened to Smithwick. I know his brother Bill died a few years back.

Posted by: Bruin ()
Date: July 10, 2012 07:38PM

Yeah Mr. Keck had a cool little bookstore. He told me sometimes researchers for movie companies would come in there to consult old mags he had, to determine the appearance of products, cars, clothes, etc., so they could be accurately replicated for the period that the movie depicted...

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: July 10, 2012 07:58PM

Jesus...............................so y'all are telling me that Sandburg Middle has a HISTORY with crazy fucks?!?!?!!?!?

What a sobering thread.........

Posted by: Memories of RT1 ()
Date: July 11, 2012 07:46AM

Someone above mentioned they were writing a book and asked for info. Like alot of you I remember the Mt Vee Hotel, I remember thinking it was The Whitw Gouse when I was little ...LOL. Of course who can forget "Dixie Pig", "Beacon Hill Butcher Shop", "The Magic Skillet", "K-Mart when it was down by Chuckie Cheese", " Memco, then it was Bradlee's and then ...... Service Merchandise"....LOL oldies but good memories .... LOL ..... There was also "Story Book Land", Hillbilly Heaven", " Churches Fried Chicken", "Zayre's","Chesapeke Bay", "Toddle House"

Of course Beacon Mall, I mean the Original ... LOL ..... I miss the indoor Mall, With Poor Paul's Pizza, I liked their pizza!!!, Baskin Robbins, The 1.00 Movie theater..lol, I could go, but you get the point...

I grew up on Route 1, probably lived in every Apartment Complex there was or is. Although back then in the late 70's / early 80's , it was different, alot safer, I remember walking to Beacon Mall at night with my Mom to go to Giant, It was no big deal, you can not do that anymore. Violence, People Robbing People, Breakin -In's are so much worse today.

My all time Favorite Place back then was .........DrumRoll .....What for it....

The Drive- In Movies, I know someone already mentioned it, but I have to say I miss the Drive- Inn, I saw Grease there for the 1st time when I was like 5 ..lol, I layed on the roof of the car ...lol

Good Memories :)

Posted by: Greek ()
Date: July 11, 2012 02:27PM

Well, the niggers ruined most of those things.......they destroyed the drive in movie house..they even destroyed the Multiplex that followed it..............

Posted by: BlackMan ()
Date: July 11, 2012 04:38PM

Probably kicked your ass also!

Posted by: Greek ()
Date: July 11, 2012 09:24PM

Are you kidding?...I, like most normal white people, avoid them at all costs, and if I can't, I do have my concealed weapon with me.........niggers don't mess with armed white people.

Posted by: Big G ()
Date: December 25, 2012 02:59PM

You really need to contact star running back Matt for more history about the gumsprings area That really had a great deal to do with the complete area rich in history etc.

Posted by: Fort Hunter ()
Date: December 25, 2012 05:52PM

The rape at FHHS was in 85 I think, a gang from TC Williams got some girl in the visiting team locker room bathroom during an afternoon JV football game.

I worked at Multiplex when it opened, lasted three months, crappy job, free movies for me and my friends wasn't as cool as it sounded. Although I knew exactly when to walk into each theater to catch all the nudie scenes.

Some guy tried to jack my bike over by Putt Putt one day, he was built like a linebacker and I was six foot tall 150 pounds, but I paid for that bike and wasn't going to just hand it over, never know how I talked my way out of that one.

My favorite spot was the old Hybla Valley movie theater, they had next to no business so they let us into all the R movies when we were in Jr High.

Posted by: JJM ()
Date: January 03, 2013 02:26AM

Wow - posts on this string bring back some memories.

Grew up off Sherwood Hall Lane and was in grade school when the fire happened, but lots of friends in my neighborhood had old brothers / sisters at Ft. Hunt at the time. I vaguely recall the General's kid getting the most time of the 3 due to an incident where he broke someone's jaw in the court waiting room while 2 others held the person down (or something like that).

Also played 55 lb football at the school fields for the Ft. Hunt Bears little league team (ankle-biters we were called). We usually got our clocks cleaned by the Gum Springs teams.....tough kids, for sure.

Probably had countless birthday parties at that Putt Putt with the orange golf balls. I recall a McDonalds there as well as the Roy Rogers and getting dragged to a paint store there. There was also a K-Mart.

Further down by the movie theatre there used to be a Juvenile Sales toys store that I think later became a Pier I Imports or something. Wasn't there also a HoJo's all the way down Rt 1 near the Beltway (across from a car dealership)?

Posted by: Yepper ()
Date: January 03, 2013 05:05AM

I'm sure Alan Lanza would have welcomed to his school reunion if he had killed himself. Matt Musolino didn't have the balls to do what was right like kill himself.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 03, 2013 09:06AM

JJM Wrote:
> Wasn't there also a HoJo's all the way down Rt 1 near the
> Beltway (across from a car dealership)?

Yes there was. I believe it is where the Hampton Inn is today.

Posted by: abc ()
Date: January 03, 2013 11:09AM

JJM Wrote:
> Further down by the movie theatre there used to be
> a Juvenile Sales toys store that I think later
> became a Pier I Imports or something.

The only Juvenile toy store I remember was in Beacon Hill where there is now a PETCO. Before Juvenile toy store there was a Safeway there with Holly Farms chicken out front.

Posted by: sportz55 ()
Date: January 03, 2013 01:56PM

I remember the Red Barn, Fass Brothers Fish House, Shakey's Pizza and the original GodFathers Pizza next to Mt. Vernon Square, putt-putt near Beacon Mall (next to the current Petco) adjacent to Holly Farms chicken, loved them taters. When Beacon Mall opened, the first movie I saw there was "Day of the Dolphin" 1973. I was in high school at Groveton when the fire at Ft Hunt occurred; it was December 78 I believe.

Posted by: Shaker ()
Date: January 03, 2013 04:11PM

Shakeys was the shit, good pizza, old time cartoons, pinball, and old style giant pitchers of beer. My Dad used to drive home zig zagging down the street singing the Shakeys Pizza Parlor song.

The other place I used to hit up back in the day was we'd ride our bikes up to Erol's.

Date: January 03, 2013 06:19PM

Looks like the old Groveton Elementary site next to Beacon Mall is now a brand new apartment building...I believe Donna Dixon went there.

Can't recall when they tore that old elementary school down, though...does anybody?

Yep, remember the school catching on fire...do seem to remember it being all over the news (pre internet of course) in kind of a who dunnit fashion for a day or two...

Posted by: JJM ()
Date: January 04, 2013 02:05AM

abc wrote:
----------
> Further down by the movie theatre there used to be
> a Juvenile Sales toys store that I think later
> became a Pier I Imports or something.

> The only Juvenile toy store I remember was in Beacon Hill where there is now > a PETCO. Before Juvenile toy store there was a Safeway there with Holly
> Farms chicken out front.

Yes, maybe it was furtherdown next to Memco and Hechinger's...probably was thinking of another store that pre-dated Pier I imports in Hybla Valley. Shakey's and the Ground Round were 2 other great spots as kids.

How did the 3rd kid (Tim Greer) get involved with the other 2? Was he a close friend or just end up partying with them over the long weekend?

Posted by: Fort Hunt 85 ()
Date: January 04, 2013 12:02PM

Fort Hunt fire made me money!! My brother had to go to first Mt Vernon then Groveton for a quarter real early in the a.m. so I took his Post route THEN I took the afternoon STAR route!!!!

Posted by: GJD ()
Date: January 05, 2013 11:37PM

Ok one of these boy's is related to me. Although they did not do much time in jail they still have a judgment on them for a cupule a mil. $ . They did serve time and as for the one who is related to me he has not forgotten what he has done and has moved on, This is not something you can forget, it will be with him the rest of his life.
As for the Rt 1 address of what was where and when hear is a list that might help My father had a gas station next to the drive in the early 50's called "twin barrel's' now the 7-11

Route One Addresses

www.norvapics.com/route1.htm

Posted by: TBA ()
Date: January 11, 2013 03:07AM

They all went to Fort Hunt, Tim Greer just graduated the year before in 1978 and was going to Community College at the time. Greer's dad was a Major General who worked at the Pentagon.

Also, the charges just seemed to keep piling up - one for steeling a toolbox from a truck, another for driving over the asst principal's lawn and the third for breaking a kids jaw at a party while friends held the guy down in front of his house (allegedly).

They all did their time and plenty of additional community service, but insurance carriers sued for $ 6MM a few years later. However, I think the judgement was only good for 20 years.

Posted by: nick musso ()
Date: January 30, 2013 09:12PM

tim greer is 6 feet under -and the asst pinicipaL's lawn was marked, and I have a list nick musso 757-718-1065 call me

Posted by: fuck you ()
Date: January 30, 2013 09:23PM

MUSOLINO Wrote:
> I WAS THERE

Posted by: nick musso ()
Date: January 30, 2013 09:34PM

get a life

Posted by: GJD ()
Date: January 30, 2013 11:01PM

Greer is 6 ft under - really? Heard Bob's twin brother Bill is gone as well.

The lawn was marked with what and What's on your list?

Posted by: ft hunt alum ()
Date: January 31, 2013 09:49PM

GJD Wrote:
> Greer is 6 ft under - really? Heard Bob's twin
> brother Bill is gone as well.
>
> The lawn was marked with what and What's on your
> list?

How did Bill die?

Posted by: Heidi Perriello ()
Date: March 28, 2013 02:54PM

Well, I attended Fort Hunt in the mid 70's. 1974 - 1978 - but I graduated early so I missed 1978. Musso, don't listen to them - they're the fucks. You were one of the only ones at Fort Hunt that was nice to me. I remember the nice ones - there are some really bad apples on the Fort Hunt FaceBook site that want to tear you down and from limb to limb. I (as well as a lot of others) stick up for you, and I forever will. It's not like their lives were torn apart at the seams - yeah, their lives were disrupted for a while, but you guys had to deal with it, reality. Screw them - and for all the people on here, leave Fort Hunt alone you bunch of wannabes!!!

Date: March 28, 2013 03:29PM

You got a brother named Danny?

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: March 28, 2013 05:15PM

I was a young kid when we lived in the Mt Vernon area so I dont remember much. We lived in Mt Vernon Forest and my dad always took me and my brother to Martins(?) Hardware on rt 1 on Saturday. I guess thats long gone?

I think my sister went to Fort Hunt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 05:16PM by Stabitha.

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: March 29, 2013 10:37AM

I rekeyed the cafe at Ft. Hunt after the fire off all master keys. They opened all the lockers and put the items in bags marked with locker #'s and kept them in the cafe. As I recall students had to go to two other schools Groveton and Mt Vernon. There was some glitch with the school security system, they got on the roof and poured gas down vents. Inside the school there was not much damage but the area above the ceiling was torched. Yes they got off light son of a gas station owner and others for 1st degree feloney arson at night.

Ft Hunt was a fun school to work at I always liked going there.The school had a laid back feeling. Walking the roof to get the panic bar parts thrown up there when the people tore em off the doors.Or digging crazy glue or tooth picks out of the locks. I was early 20's then did not bother me with their tricks little ole vandles them , and I thought the Ft Hunt girls were some of the best looking in the county , next to good ole W.T.W.

I was down at the "lower end" as we called that area a lot then and for years later. It was my fav place. I enjoyed the Dixe Pig carry out could not afford to eat inside, all the schools where vandleism and glass breakage was #1 in the whole county schools system at times.I call remember the Theives Market
when it was where the Home Depot is,and the old drive in movie theater where the winos holed up in their "Winos Nest" under the shrubs and brush on Rt 1. The Chesapeake Bay Seafood was great for a shrimp Po Boy lunch.A secret I will share The Best Cheap steak and Cheese is still down there. At the "Hong Kong Kitchen"in the little center with the 7-11 at Mt. Vernon Square . Ah.. the Mt Vernon Sq. Apts, where I drove a old maintence man to back in 71 from the Fairfax Sq. Apts.where I mowed grass., supposed to move washing machines for him to work on, he got out with a bag under his coat went in the office "OK thats it" , What no washing machines to move?, "No I just had to bring Fairfax Squares month of rent money down here" !.

I remember the first time I ever saw the lower end in summer of 70 taking driver training at Edison, We went out Franconia to the beltway to Rt 1 exit then down Rt 1 and over the hill down from Groveton lay rt 1 and what a view it was. Then down to Belvoir and the winding road with the pine trees by the old commissery and water tank with the goats to mow the grass to Telegraph and back to Edison.

Posted by: wow we ()
Date: March 29, 2013 10:58AM

Heidi Perriello Wrote:
> Well, I attended Fort Hunt in the mid 70's. 1974
> - 1978 - but I graduated early so I missed 1978.
> Musso, don't listen to them - they're the fucks.
> You were one of the only ones at Fort Hunt that
> was nice to me. I remember the nice ones - there
> are some really bad apples on the Fort Hunt
> FaceBook site that want to tear you down and from
> limb to limb. I (as well as a lot of others)
> stick up for you, and I forever will. It's not
> like their lives were torn apart at the seams -
> yeah, their lives were disrupted for a while, but
> you guys had to deal with it, reality. Screw them
> - and for all the people on here, leave Fort Hunt
> alone you bunch of wannabes!!!

53 years old and complaining about kids from high school being mean on Facebook? That's pathetic. I went to Fort Hunt ten years behind you but I'm tempted to find the Facebook group just to pile on.

Posted by: Deanna ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:13AM

I would have gone to Fort Hunt HS, but my parents moved and I went to Mt Vernon HS instead the year of the fire. I will never forget the terrible destruction that these three vandals caused. We had to share our school for an entire year with the Fort Hunt students, they were split up between a couple of high schools to finish the year out. I had a lot of friends that went to Ft Hunt. I can't imagine that Musolino would be welcomed to their high school reunion. I hope he is still paying retribution for all the damage caused. Sounds like he still doesn't want to take any responsibility for his part. Some things don't change.

Posted by: P. Adamson ()
Date: April 21, 2013 01:52PM

I remember the Friday night foot ball games 1974

Posted by: MGT ()
Date: April 22, 2013 01:16AM

I went to ft hunt,it was a country club high school.Everybody partied like a mothefucker!

Posted by: merge threads? ()
Date: April 22, 2013 09:09AM

Maybe we should merge this thread with that John T Shark Club thread...sounds like Ft. Hunt High was quite a place....

Posted by: MGT ()
Date: April 23, 2013 02:51PM

merge threads? Wrote:
> Maybe we should merge this thread with that John T
> Shark Club thread...sounds like Ft. Hunt High was
> quite a place....

Yeah,ft hunt was "quite a place" There are however a long list of casualties associated with this school.Im a hair away from being a homeless vagrant.Matter of fact,i am searching for the ideal plot in the woods to set up my new resident.I feel so blessed.

Posted by: prue adamson ()
Date: April 24, 2013 08:11AM

language class test 1975 HOW DO YOU SPELL Ola, what does it mean.

Posted by: Nostradamus ()
Date: April 25, 2013 03:24PM

This is a very interesting thread. I would be pissed too if I had to spend the second half of my senior year at a rival school.

Who burns down their own school?

Date: April 29, 2013 08:46AM

also remember hanging out at the 7-11 that was a right turn off Fort Hunt Road...that was fun

Posted by: forthunt ()
Date: April 29, 2013 06:49PM

P. Adamson Wrote:
> also remember hanging out at the 7-11 that was a
> right turn off Fort Hunt Road...that was fun

When they jammed about 10 video game machines in the two front offices? Or hanging out along side of the gas station before the area mommies chased out all the riff-raff?

Date: May 22, 2013 01:23PM

1973 - 1974

Posted by: %*%^&*#$%#$^# ()
Date: May 23, 2013 08:31AM

Matt Musolino, a former Fort Hunt High football star and one of the three kids convicted of burning down that Alexandria high school 30 years ago, checked in with Cheap Seats Daily a couple times while I was on vacation.

He wasn't happy.

I had written about the recent reunion of his mates from the Fort Hunt Class of '79, the ones he made refugees for half their senior year by torching their school building over Christmas break.

Musolino didn't show up for the get-together. I wondered in print if burning down your school your senior year means you can't go to future class reunions.

But I spoke with him by phone over the Labor Day weekend from Virginia Beach, where he now runs a stone company.

He told me he stayed away from the Fort Hunt reunion for economic and logistic reasons, not because he burned down the school. Had he shown, his classmates would have welcomed him back, he insisted.

"I got 30 employees, and my kids," he said. "I wanted to go, but I couldn't go. But I got 10 calls from Fort Hunt people wondering why I wasn't there."

I had written that Musolino, who plead guilty to arson charges, told investigators and the Washington Post after the school burning that he had supplied the gasoline from his father's service station on Route 1 to stock the firebombs. During our conversation, Musolino started to argue that my post distorted his role in the fire that destroyed the school.

"I wasn't even around to see the fire, did you know that?" he said.

But Musolino backed away from that line of attack quickly, saying there was no reason to "look back."

But isn't looking back what class reunions are all about? And though I'd never met Musolino, having grown up in Northern Virginia at the same time, I've remembered the destruction of Fort Hunt and ensuing investigations as being among the biggest scandals of my adolescence. Since Musolino was a star fullback on one of the strongest teams in the area that year, he was the highest profile of the kids fingered in the fire. I told him I'm still intrigued by that case.

He told me I should let it go and hung up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Deanna, saw your posting about this story above is the same as the one on this thread just 3 years older though.

Posted by: Cc ()
Date: May 26, 2013 04:48PM

30 years ago.. no need to dwell. Tim Greer is not 6ft under and yes related to Tom, but not Steve. They all did time and the instance had its effect on their lives. Just be glad you don't have to live with guilt like. Sometimes trouble makers get a little carried away... I Don't agree with it up it's what happens. At least they didn't hurt anyone... Think of the kids in schools these days that have to witness mass murders. I think their lives were more affected than relocating schools. Not discounting the discomfort anyone endured from having to go to Mt Vernon and Groveton, but just trying to put things into perspective. It msy be time to lay it to rest, though.

Posted by: don l ()
Date: September 15, 2013 05:38AM

What's up y'all. I lived in the area between 76-83. Attended ft hunt elem, Stephen foster int, and ft hunt high. Moved to LA, CA at the beginning of Jr year so didn't get to graduate with the class of 85. Still bummed about that. I wouldn't trade my growing up there for anything, only wish my kids could grow up in such a wholesome time/place - can't find anything like that around here in so cal, specially these days. Haven't been able to attend any of the reunions - sure would have been great to see classmates, swim and soccer teammates, bandmates, etc. Y'all stay safe.

Posted by: Nostradamus ()
Date: September 15, 2013 08:08AM

don l Wrote:
> What's up y'all. I lived in the area between
> 76-83. Attended ft hunt elem, Stephen foster int,
> and ft hunt high. Moved to LA, CA at the
> beginning of Jr year so didn't get to graduate
> with the class of 85. Still bummed about that. I
> wouldn't trade my growing up there for anything,
> only wish my kids could grow up in such a
> wholesome time/place - can't find anything like
> that around here in so cal, specially these days.
> Haven't been able to attend any of the reunions -
> sure would have been great to see classmates, swim
> and soccer teammates, bandmates, etc. Y'all stay
> safe.

There is nothing wholesome about that area now. It's a total f'ing shit hole.

Posted by: Diversity Rocks ()
Date: September 15, 2013 08:52PM

Nostradamus Wrote:
> don l Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What's up y'all. I lived in the area between
> > 76-83. Attended ft hunt elem, Stephen foster
> int,
> > and ft hunt high. Moved to LA, CA at the
> > beginning of Jr year so didn't get to graduate
> > with the class of 85. Still bummed about that.
> I
> > wouldn't trade my growing up there for
> anything,
> > only wish my kids could grow up in such a
> > wholesome time/place - can't find anything like
> > that around here in so cal, specially these
> days.
> > Haven't been able to attend any of the reunions
> -
> > sure would have been great to see classmates,
> swim
> > and soccer teammates, bandmates, etc. Y'all
> stay
> > safe.
>
>
> There is nothing wholesome about that area now.
> It's a total f'ing shit hole.

You fucking kidding. Very nice area. It's further on Rt 1 with the diversity that's becoming the shithole.

Posted by: don l ()
Date: September 16, 2013 03:53AM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess wholesome, shithole, and nice Are pretty subjective. Lol

I used to live on Parry lane. Remember it being a good block and surrounding neighborhood - lots of families, lots of kids and you really didn't worry much about locking your doors. Last time I was out that way was probably 8 or 9 years ago - drove through some of the old neighborhoods and area and on the surface, it still looked clean cut all american. But that was some time ago now. Hope it hasn't changed much.

One thing though, after being out here for so long, I can't take the humidity over there anymore! Lol

Posted by: no change ()
Date: September 16, 2013 07:32AM

The other side of Route 1 was a shit hole then and still is now, Fort Hunt remains as nice as ever, if anything its improved.

Posted by: grovetontiger ()
Date: September 22, 2013 05:54PM

Was a freshman at Groveton the year we split our school with Ft Hunt. I remember the theme for homecoming was holidays, we did fire prevention week, made a truck look like a fire truck with a fort hunt federal hung in front, we played the song disco inferno (burn baby burn!!). I also remember we were disqualified, and got a ton of detention.
As for route 1, Beacon mall was a small plane airport before the mall, . And the juvenile toy store was where the petco is now. Also, we had carnivals where the metro is now.

Posted by: NICK MUSSO ()
Date: January 01, 2014 01:59AM

f-looser get a LIFE F--K M---N CALL ME 757-473-0800 NICK MUSSO A-U-S-M-F W-M-C

Posted by: The AntiChrist ()
Date: January 01, 2014 02:07AM

Welcome to my dominion my children! You know it well I see! I am here to collect your souls for my Father. And once you have entered you can not ever leave.

Posted by: hdETK ()
Date: February 01, 2014 08:53PM

That is Fairfax County? Waaaay down there? Had no idea.

Posted by: fr8us ()
Date: April 14, 2014 11:26AM

Getting in way late on this....

I was freshman the year FHHS was burnt out. It was a depressing and tragic thing, but going to Groveton and Mt. Vernon wasn't awful. The kids at those schools were nice and accommodating. I guess they figured we'd been through enough. Under different circumstances, sharing their schools would have been somewhat enlightening and novel. Fairfax County had pretty good schools.

What's strangely coincidental is that there is a small group of us who also endured the fire that burnt out the FHES library about seven years prior. So bizarre.

Posted by: 82 Mt V Graduate ()
Date: April 16, 2014 01:37PM

fr8us I was a freshman at Mount Vernon the year of the fire. We went in the a.m. and FH folks came in the afternoon. I agree with you... both enlightening and novel :)! We all got along well and managed to to have a good school year in half the amount of class time!

Posted by: Matthew Musolino ()
Date: April 29, 2014 10:44PM

Well first I should say I am sorry for all I have done and all I have been involved in. The fort hunt fire was a terrible thing, I loved Fort Hunt all its students and all its teachers and all its staff. First I should have never have gone their. I lived in the Groveton area and since I did so well in the football single A schools in Florida I was asked to see FT. Hunt. I started school their half way through my freshman year. I loved the school and I excelled, lets get to the night of the fire, I was home and Tim Greer and Bob Smithwick came by my house and talked about hoe pissed they were at Dr. Manning at the time David Eads had a motorcycle at the house we could not start we went with a sprite bottle and got 17 cents worth of gas from my family gas station and tried to start it again. it was mentioned how mush of a ass Dr. Manning was and it was suggested to go and singed Dr. Mannings Desk. we left my house and went to the culdisack behind the tennis courts at ft hunt with less that half of the original gas that was in the bottle , Me and Bob got out of the car while Tim Greer was driving and too drunk to walk, he never got out of the car, a green nova I think, me and Bob went towards the offices and after the tennis courts I said "hey this is stupid" and I turned around and went back to the car I was almost at the car when Bob came by me and said come on its going up" and I turned around and looked and saw nothing and said your full of shit. Tim woke up and drove us home. that's the story, no one went on top of the school, in the school. My uncle Anthony always said someone went in the school because of the damage it never happened there was not enough time and Bob told me later he never went into the school. during the investigation Tim turned himself in, although my father had a great deal of influence in the police department it was presented to him to turn me in because really Tim never saw anything and the fact that Bill told so any people at a party at Paul Shelkins he did us a favor he turned his son in "me" under the condition I would get a mister meaner and no one would get longer sentence than me. Now you might not believe it but my father had a great deal of influence in that area RT 1. That night I lost many scholarships, my father lost prestige influence ,friend and momey, my brother lost his future at FT Hunt, friends, respect all the years I played sports with a vigor and attitude that most players think about. After this I was called a rat or snitch not happening Tim told the story, Bill gave the story validity, My father saved our lives. What we all did with it after that is a different story.

Date: April 30, 2014 05:40PM

Matt, no offense, but Ft. Hunt sure didn't do a good job of teaching you how to write. Your post looks like it was written by a third grader.

Posted by: never... ()
Date: April 30, 2014 09:30PM

...go full retard.

...go full retard.

...go full retard.

Posted by: Spiro T. Agnew ()
Date: May 01, 2014 12:53AM

Matthew Musolino Wrote:
> Well first I should say I am sorry for all I have
> done and all I have been involved in. The fort
> hunt fire was a terrible thing, I loved Fort Hunt
> all its students and all its teachers and all its
> staff. First I should have never have gone their.
> I lived in the Groveton area and since I did so
> well in the football single A schools in Florida I
> was asked to see FT. Hunt. I started school their
> half way through my freshman year. I loved the
> school and I excelled, lets get to the night of
> the fire, I was home and Tim Greer and Bob
> Smithwick came by my house and talked about hoe
> pissed they were at Dr. Manning at the time David
> Eads had a motorcycle at the house we could not
> start we went with a sprite bottle and got 17
> cents worth of gas from my family gas station and
> tried to start it again. it was mentioned how mush
> of a ass Dr. Manning was and it was suggested to
> go and singed Dr. Mannings Desk. we left my house
> and went to the culdisack behind the tennis courts
> at ft hunt with less that half of the original gas
> that was in the bottle , Me and Bob got out of the
> car while Tim Greer was driving and too drunk to
> walk, he never got out of the car, a green nova I
> think, me and Bob went towards the offices and
> after the tennis courts I said "hey this is
> stupid" and I turned around and went back to the
> car I was almost at the car when Bob came by me
> and said come on its going up" and I turned around
> and looked and saw nothing and said your full of
> shit. Tim woke up and drove us home. that's the
> story, no one went on top of the school, in the
> school. My uncle Anthony always said someone went
> in the school because of the damage it never
> happened there was not enough time and Bob told me
> later he never went into the school. during the
> investigation Tim turned himself in, although my
> father had a great deal of influence in the police
> department it was presented to him to turn me in
> because really Tim never saw anything and the fact
> that Bill told so any people at a party at Paul
> Shelkins he did us a favor he turned his son in
> "me" under the condition I would get a mister
> meaner and no one would get longer sentence than
> me. Now you might not believe it but my father had
> a great deal of influence in that area RT 1. That
> night I lost many scholarships, my father lost
> prestige influence ,friend and momey, my brother
> lost his future at FT Hunt, friends, respect all
> the years I played sports with a vigor and
> attitude that most players think about. After this
> I was called a rat or snitch not happening Tim
> told the story, Bill gave the story validity, My
> father saved our lives. What we all did with it
> after that is a different story.

Dumb shit writes what?

Posted by: Mister Meaner ()
Date: May 01, 2014 07:42AM

Ya know, you're English teachers from Ft Hunt shore wood be proud of you're amazing grammer usage and communication skill's. Clearly, you are a brite guy who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and I can tell that youve moved on and Ill bet yore really sucesfull in whatever job you have now and i wonder if you went into the family business and if you have to disclothes your criminal background or was that x-sponged from your record

Mister meaner? Thanks for the chortles and guffaws!

Also, culdisack.

Posted by: settle down ()
Date: May 01, 2014 09:27AM

Youn's guys make some funny comments.

Perhaps if it really is the person himself, cut him a break?

Didn't most among us do stupid things when we were young, a few of which only required only a small turn this way or that to really go wrong?

Now, some 30 + years later, life goes on, and most people who did do stupid things turned out OK, right? Don't we know some folks that did really stupid things, maybe got lucky in that it didn't blow up on them, and turned out more than OK...military leaders, money makers, business leaders, government, doctors, family, etc.,? I sure do. These were the guys that weren't afraid to take a chance or two, and sure, maybe they did get lucky and a few breaks went their way here and there.

Maybe some kids didn't do stupid things, but, quite a few, not because they didn't want to, 'cus they were scaredy? But you know, deep down, they really wanted to be part of the gang, but were scared?

I do run into some of the kids that I thought were scaredy back then, and they still seem scaredy now, and most still live scared little lives.

I hate to say, but does it seem that a disproportinate number of those "background dwellers" have gone on to do quite a few majorly f'ed up things later in life? So perhaps the risk takers early on, who got lucky and nothing bad happened, maybe got that stuff out of their systems?

Now, I am certainly not in favor of burning down part of a school or plotting some other act of major destruction, but I also see there is the GREAT possibility that this may not have been the intended result of a well thought out plan of a few teenagers.

Posted by: GrooveyTown Teacher ()
Date: May 01, 2014 11:42AM

I was a teacher at Groveton when this happened. I loved it because we had to double shift, with the kids from Ft. Hunt coming in the afternoon. I was finished at noon and was required to leave the building so the Ft. Hunt staff could come in.

Posted by: Matthew Musolino ()
Date: May 02, 2014 11:31PM

Ya no Im not bingo, settle down, mister meaner. I'm Matt Musolino. I'm not hiding behind a mask. I'm not the smartest person there ever was I would probably be grateful and appreciative if I had my personal assistant write this it would probably be grammar correct, but would it be what who would expect from a scholastically lazy athlete that would most likely shun you. I am over this pissing match, I have accelerated beyond anyone's thoughts or dreams. I live on the water in Virginia Beach, My children "book smart" have exceeded my expectations while watching their mother go through a illness that has no good outcome. I'm not the best the best person in the world but if my grammar upsets you than pay my bills, simple and then invest in my movies "Anesthesia with Kristen Stewart, Glenn Close, Sam Waterson, Grethen Mol. and many other or maybe my new new movie "Treetop" with Anthony Macke or maybe "world Flyers with Joby Ogwyn who in recent days have had a great tragedy. I did not realize you wanted ENGLISH, I would have thought you wanted success, I still own that property on Rt 1 with my brother. He would without any hesitation since I cost him a education at FT. Hunt tell you all to Go fuck yourself. But I am bigger than that I only have to say "Thank you" you make me stronger, I will give more and expect less. But from now on I will have my college educated PA make all further posts. I really do not want to offend the over financial achievers with my bad grammer.

Posted by: movies ()
Date: May 03, 2014 04:12AM

woah, man, shouldn't tell all of them peeps to go f themselves, it looks to me like one was kind of defending you...

Posted by: Pooch ()
Date: May 16, 2014 09:22PM

Musso - Glad you seem to have gotten along OK. We used to hang out occasionally and I remember stealing gas from your pops station when Snapper and I were cruising Route 1 doing bong hits, and remembering how we used to kick your ass in football (I played for Mt. Vernon) and banging your Ft. Hunt chicks. We actually were glad you dicks blazed the school, because the last semester of our grad year we skated with 5 hour days. Fun daze.

Remember when my boy Bobby Martelli kicked the shit out of your supposed school bad ass at Smithwick's kegger in '79? Those were the days.

Completely appropriate that you're layin stone. You never were real bright, and you still talk and write like a punk.

Good luck bro. I'll remember you for infamy only.

Loser.

Posted by: couldn't be ()
Date: May 16, 2014 10:37PM

Are you saying Smithwick had a kegger in 79, AFTER the blaze?

Wow...

Posted by: Asdfghjkl ()
Date: May 21, 2014 06:02AM

Yeah the fuck right. Matts addicted to coke and prostitutes. He's a compulsive liar.

Posted by: ...... ()
Date: May 21, 2014 10:14AM

Was the pussy fine in '79? I was only 3 at the time, but if stereotypes are true, I imagine some hot, skinny, bushy little brunette in a tube top and bell bottoms.

Hnnnnnnnnnggggg

Posted by: matthew musolino ()
Date: June 01, 2014 12:44AM

-I really promised myself I would not bring myself down to this level of just plane bullshit. first of all "POOCH' I do not know you! As far a stealing gas from my father , congratulations, maybe you can go to Walmart next and show your wit and cunning. As far as football we beat your school my junior and senior year, as a matter of matter of fact in my senior year we were I think 7-2 and we played you and Mt. Vernon was 9-1 and we beat you and went to the playoffs. As far as Bobby Martelli goes he was my friend I never once fought him, I never once thought of fighting him. Fort Hunt Girls well I think if they felt as I do now about you, you are probably just a, well let me take that back you are nothing to them. you are a nobody, you do not know the facts, you do not matter. and as far as Asdfghjkl0 goes. I do not even drink , I admit in the 80s I loved me some, get the fuck out of here pussy and it is know secret my party days. proud of it, lived through it, still alive, and now going on vacations to places your stupid ass would ever dream about. so yea I have been around I had a great life, a couple of bumps. I have really good friends and every day you can drive by my property on RT 1 and hate me, despise me, I beat your team in football, I rose above and made something of myself, I have great children, money, friends and I feel, well how do you think I feel. Now you are going to say "oh he feels like got over on Ft Hunt" Not true I loved Ft Hunt It crushed me all that happened, the fire, my friends , my school. how can you even judge me, especially at 6:02 Am in the morning, alone at a computer.

Posted by: matthew musolino ()
Date: June 01, 2014 12:48AM

If anyone does not like my recent banter on this stupid little blog, please do not take it personally, I am just trying to pack to go on vacation.

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.