HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Noise in Tyson's
Posted by: That Noise ()
Date: January 06, 2012 12:34AM

What is that god forsaken noise going on right now ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Noise in Tyson's
Posted by: What Noise ()
Date: January 06, 2012 08:50AM

What part of the Tysons are you in? It's likely night construction on the metro since they are behind on schedule. What kind of noise was it? www.thetysonscorner.com is on the scene

Posted by: angry taxpayer ()
Date: January 07, 2012 09:15AM

it's the tearing down of the old lewinsville bridge. It's been going on for a few nights, and I've been told it's gonna contine for at least two more weeks. I talked to Supervisor Foust's office and I was told we would just have to deal with it. I'll remember this at re-election time. I thought our supervisors were supposed to represent the people

Posted by: Oh that Noise ()
Date: January 07, 2012 09:23AM

Is it all night? or do they stop at 10pm? As a transportation engineer I know the double edged sword that is road construction. You can't do it during the day because then you have a nightmare on your hands, so you spend extra money to do it at night and you ruin the lives of the people who live closest to the item for 2 weeks. If it makes you feel any better night construction usually shortens the length of time necessary by 1/2 to sometimes 1/3 the time, so your morning rush hour and evening rush hour are much better for the wear over the next 2 months.

That does suck though if they are going late night. Demolition and piles usually are the loud parts and demo of a bridge like old lewinsville shouldnt take more than a week tops. I don't love or hate Foust, for the most part the current supervisors are atleast addressing old infrastructure before one of these old deteriorating bridges fails and kills someone.

Posted by: vdot man ()
Date: January 07, 2012 09:35AM

That's VDOT and contractors working on both the hot lanes and the metro project. It's gonna be noisy for a few years, sorry

Posted by: Steve V ()
Date: January 08, 2012 02:52AM

Well Foust lives very close to the Lewinsville Bridge and Beltway, so he's suffering with the rest of use.

Use earplugs--the foam ones are the most comfortable.

Posted by: Patti V ()
Date: January 15, 2012 09:35AM

I've been hearing the noise for a few weeks now, but last night it was really loud and persistent and annoying. Pillow over and under the head works pretty well. I hope we don't have to deal with *this* level of noise for years on end!

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: January 15, 2012 09:55AM

The company building the HOT lanes is going to become insanely rich. They're lucky that they don't have to pay anything for the traffic jams they create and late-night noise they cause.

Posted by: Actually_ ()
Date: January 15, 2012 03:29PM

Fluor is constructing it, and its funny cause they do actually have to pay for the traffic jam, they are funding the entire project up front cause the state can't upkeep its own roads let alone build big projects. Its funny actually, both of the projects that people say the state and region wasted money on building are actually primarily funded outside of the state, ie metro and 495/I-95 hot lanes. Fluor is paying for 90% up front and going to recoup that money plus the profit for the construction through the tolling, the state didnt "waste tax payer money"... once again the state of virginia is smarter than most states.

Regardless the hotlanes is a waste of time, but atleast its a waste of time that pays for the infrastructure upkeep necessary. If the state were smart they would toll ever major road in the region.

Also, I'm not sure why how working at night helps them become rich (they have to pay special pay for night work to construction crews). I do agree though that they need to provide proper sound panels so avoid inconvenience to neighbors.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: January 15, 2012 10:16PM

Interesting. The government is okay with it.

Is Fluor sending checks to the commuters stuck in the construction zones?

Are they sending checks to all the nearby residents that have to put up with it at any hour, day or night?

Is the county or commonwealth giving tax breaks or any other consideration?

I guess only the people that matter are getting compensated. Us usual people/citizens are not.

Actually_ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regardless the hotlanes is a waste of time, but
> atleast its a waste of time that pays for the
> infrastructure upkeep necessary. If the state were
> smart they would toll ever major road in the
> region.
>

The governments already take in money for every mile driven by every car with the gasoline taxes. Quick math places it at about a penny per mile at 20mpg.

Posted by: ...curious ()
Date: January 17, 2012 01:47PM

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: January 17, 2012 01:51PM

wnrsm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The company building the HOT lanes is going to
> become insanely rich. They're lucky that they
> don't have to pay anything for the traffic jams
> they create and late-night noise they cause.

Did you put in a lower bid for your company to get the work done? Surely with YOU running the show the state could have saved untold millions and there would be zero traffic impact.

Posted by: Actually_ ()
Date: January 17, 2012 03:37PM

Good point justsayin, anytime anything is built its an inconvenience. At the end of the day its theoretically going to help the public. In the meanwhile no one is holding a gun against your head for the traffic issue. The noise is a big problem, but as a transportation engineer (no not on this project) night work is not the typical and usually there are strict decibal levels that have to be adhered to as well as light restrictions.

If you believe it is seriously above these levels you can file a complaint with VDOT, the key is to stick to it and keep hassling them cause just like most massive entities, they ignore the first few times. Likely even if they are breaking the regulations with those required noise levels and light levels they wont modify it unless pushed by a lawsuit.

Trust me, I am not on the side of VDOT, Fluor, or any massive road project, but part of public works is the construction process and there are just as many laws dictating that as there are anything else, if its really bad you should follow through.

As a reference the type of noise needed to exceed the allowable levels for nightwork is those associated with pile driving or jack hammering.... if it is truck beeps, brake noises, or dirt moving you're prolly going to have to get used to it.

Posted by: This is the noise you heard ()
Date: January 20, 2012 11:42PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.